Welcome back Stephen Glass

2 hours ago, Tinyweelad said:

but why for example, did he not make the step up to U21 as McLennan has?

Been in the last three U21 squads at 19 years old. Yet to make his debut, but being three age groups younger than McLennan I'd hope he'd be on course to play soon, and without trying to sound conceited, would say if games hadn't been shelved due to Covid he probably would have.

1 hour ago, Tinyweelad said:

Many moons ago, his old man, on his very forum, lambasted me for saying I didn't rate Scott Muirhead after a 20 min appearance. Scott, as you'll recall, went on to have a glittering career, lifting the Ballon d'Or and Champions League trophy many times. 

Don't recall this, but seeing as Muirhead made his debut in 2002 and Campbell's faither didn't join the forum until 2009, i'd say it probably didn't happen. 

• Haha 3
11 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Things I would expect as a minimum for a starting midfielder for Aberdeen.

It was a good tackle, agree on that.

If that is your minimum requirement for a starting midfielder then why are you not slaughtering McCrorie because he has shown no Composure on the ball, poor passing ability and he hasn't been very good in tight spaces over the last 4 months or so

19 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Really? You must feel let down a lot.

I've seen very few Aberdeen midfielders capable of that. Regularly see guys at international level for Scotland not capable of it. Scottish players are absolutely hopeless at taking the ball in a tight space and finding a pass.

When we play in Europe, even the early rounds, the opposition midfielders regularly look technically better at all of that than our players. Eventually we just overpower them

19 minutes ago, Sheepo said:

If that is your minimum requirement for a starting midfielder then why are you not slaughtering McCrorie because he has shown no Composure on the ball, poor passing ability and he hasn't been very good in tight spaces over the last 4 months or so

I’ve already said McCrorie has been terrible for a number of months now. Nobody is getting pass marks at the moment.

10 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Really? You must feel let down a lot.

I've seen very few Aberdeen midfielders capable of that. Regularly see guys at international level for Scotland not capable of it. Scottish players are absolutely hopeless at taking the ball in a tight space and finding a pass.

When we play in Europe, even the early rounds, the opposition midfielders regularly look technically better at all of that than our players. Eventually we just overpower them

Yes, I do feel let down a lot. Don’t you? We have had players capable of it but not many and yes it does pale into comparison with nearly every team we play in Europe. They are always quicker at moving the ball around and able to control, pass and move far better than most in our league.

People are forever banging on about expecting more and not settling for mediocrity etc, yet when I suggest we can do better than what we have at the moment people start getting upset.

1 hour ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Think we can see you’re a Campbell fanboy who is incapable of objectivity.

Not at all. I think the opposite is the case and that you aren't being objective. 

I see a young player that has came into the team during a difficult period and is taking responsibility where others aren't. 

I also think his play is improving as he becomes more settled in the side and gains the confidence to play further up the pitch. 

He absolutely warrants his first team place at the moment ahead of others who play in his position and that is based entirely on objectivity.  

Is he the finished article? No.  Does he have room for improvement?  Of course. Nobody has said otherwise. 

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Yes, I do feel let down a lot. Don’t you? We have had players capable of it but not many and yes it does pale into comparison with nearly every team we play in Europe. They are always quicker at moving the ball around and able to control, pass and move far better than most in our league.

People are forever banging on about expecting more and not settling for mediocrity etc, yet when I suggest we can do better than what we have at the moment people start getting upset.

But we've got a young boy just turned 20 who CAN do those things. He just needs to add strength, maturity and experience. That's a lot easier to get than the raw skills he already has.

He might well turn out shite but he deserves a go... that's all folk are saying. Just doesn't sit well to pick out a young technically good player when so many around him are absolutely honking.

1 hour ago, RedRichard said:

It's not about being desperate for him to fail - quite the opposite. It's more about just not seeing the evidence. The worry is that those who think they can see something in him that would take us to being a top 100 European side or win a trophy might be the same sort of fan who thought, for example, Chris Clark merited 250+ games in a red jersey. AFC can't be a charity for mediocrity in the new Glass era...

Most on here can see he’s a young players who’s learning the game and improving. The issue everyone has is rubbishing him as not good enough already.

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Not at all. I think the opposite is the case and that you aren't being objective. 

I see a young player that has came into the team during a difficult period and is taking responsibility where others aren't. 

I also think his play is improving as he becomes more settled in the side and gains the confidence to play further up the pitch. 

He absolutely warrants his first team place at the moment ahead of others who play in his position and that is based entirely on objectivity.  

Is he the finished article? No.  Does he have room for improvement?  Of course. Nobody has said otherwise. 

Likewise I haven’t disagreed that he’s taken responsibility when others haven’t and that he’s improved over the months. There’s no denying he warrants his place at the moment and of course he’s not the finished article. However you can watch a player and a lot of the time you can see if there’s something about them or not and I currently don’t see it. Others do, which is fair enough, but the hysterical reactions to me not really seeing the fuss are completely ridiculous.

1 minute ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

But we've got a young boy just turned 20 who CAN do those things. He just needs to add strength, maturity and experience. That's a lot easier to get than the raw skills he already has.

He might well turn out shite but he deserves a go... that's all folk are saying. Just doesn't sit well to pick out a young technically good player when so many around him are absolutely honking.

I guess we will have to wait and see. If I am wrong I will be utterly delighted. Unlike most on here I can admit when I am wrong and am happy to change my mind if suitably convinced.

54 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

I see your point, but he achieves these things to a higher standard than highly rated talents in Ferguson and McCrorie, and he is a wee bit younger. He's still got room to grow and feel like recently we've seen him bulk up a bit and have more confidence. 

43 minutes ago, shinniesta1 said:

I see your point, but he achieves these things to a higher standard than highly rated talents in Ferguson and McCrorie, and he is a wee bit younger. He's still got room to grow and feel like recently we've seen him bulk up a bit and have more confidence. 

I think the most worrying thing is we know McRorie and Ferguson are capable of so much more but for whatever reason both of them seem to have fallen off a cliff performance-wise over the last while. We were talking about Ferguson going on to captain Scotland not long ago yet you wouldn’t know he was playing most games recently.

The fact people are complaining because a 20 year old kid hasn’t been grabbing games by the scruff of the neck while the rest of his teammates put in poor performances time and time again just shows the state the squad is at the moment. 

Campbell’s been improving game by game, and a run of games under a manager who is going to set the team up to play the ball on the deck will hopefully see continued improvement.

There is a whole squad of players far more deserving of the criticism being directed towards Campbell just now. 

17 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

I think the most worrying thing is we know McRorie and Ferguson are capable of so much more but for whatever reason both of them seem to have fallen off a cliff performance-wise over the last while. We were talking about Ferguson going on to captain Scotland not long ago yet you wouldn’t know he was playing most games recently.

Easy to get dragged down when the rest of the time is shite and losing games too. 

Hopefully the new management team will re-energise him. Miss him being active in the final third and creating something out of nothing.

2 hours ago, DelMonte said:

He has been lately. Been our best player in the past month. 

People’s issue is that you and other seems so desperate for him to fail so you’re proven right. Mental the abuse Campbell gets when the likes of McLennan are getting regular game time and look horrendous. Campbell gets singled out. 

I think we all have to remember all midfielders are not Jess types. Some are ball winners, some are ball carriers, some are creative.

The obvious 1 here is Ryan Jack (tin hat on) who got a fair bit of abuse when he was here for just passing it sideways and backwards. He now often starts for Scotland if fit and some of our support still think he’s hopeless... obviously he’s not liked by our fanbase for obvious reasons but he’s a quality player at our level. 

9 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

The fact people are complaining because a 20 year old kid hasn’t been grabbing games by the scruff of the neck while the rest of his teammates put in poor performances time and time again just shows the state the squad is at the moment. 

Campbell’s been improving game by game, and a run of games under a manager who is going to set the team up to play the ball on the deck will hopefully see continued improvement.

There is a whole squad of players far more deserving of the criticism being directed towards Campbell just now. 

Nobody is saying that though. I am saying while he has been better I don’t really see what the fuss is. If he had played the ball Kennedy did for Hayes at the weekend then I would be interested, fact is he hasn’t played a pass like that and hasn’t created anything for our strikers. So is he a defensive midfielder? He made a really good tackle at the weekend but is too weak and makes some silly mistakes in the defensive third. 

it’s quite incredible that I have to constantly justify myself for not rating him highly when those who do can’t really give a shining example why and instead engage in whataboutery.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
55 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Nobody is saying that though. I am saying while he has been better I don’t really see what the fuss is. If he had played the ball Kennedy did for Hayes at the weekend then I would be interested, fact is he hasn’t played a pass like that and hasn’t created anything for our strikers. So is he a defensive midfielder? He made a really good tackle at the weekend but is too weak and makes some silly mistakes in the defensive third. 

it’s quite incredible that I have to constantly justify myself for not rating him highly when those who do can’t really give a shining example why and instead engage in whataboutery.

Well that's a fucking lie.

He played a brilliant ball through to Kamberi a few weeks ago which he dragged wide. Can't remember the game as they've all merged into one blandness stream, but that's one off the top of my head. 

He also had a very good game against Dundee United where he had several shots on target, forcing keeper to make good saves and had good run into box almost resulting in another goal.

You're either not watching, or you're so blinded by your hatred of the boy you only look at the negatives. 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Tinyweelad said:

Many moons ago, his old man, on his very forum, lambasted me for saying I didn't rate Scott Muirhead after a 20 min appearance. Scott, as you'll recall, went on to have a glittering career, lifting the Ballon d'Or and Champions League trophy many times.  

Even if the story was true, you'd still be wrong. If all you saw was 20mins your judgement was premature regardless of how he turned out.

19 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Well that's a fucking lie.

He played a brilliant ball through to Kamberi a few weeks ago which he dragged wide. Can't remember the game as they've all merged into one blandness stream, but that's one off the top of my head. 

He also had a very good game against Dundee United where he had several shots on target, forcing keeper to make good saves and had good run into box almost resulting in another goal.

You're either not watching, or you're so blinded by your hatred of the boy you only look at the negatives. 

The very start of that video he is unmarked for the cross and has time to take a touch and score, instead he sclaffs it and it’s going wide until the United defender gets in the way. I genuinely hope this is not one of the “several shots on target” you are referring to.

Then a miss-hit cross that the keeper has to save. Really?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
7 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

The very start of that video he is unmarked for the cross and has time to take a touch and score, instead he sclaffs it and it’s going wide until the United defender gets in the way. I genuinely hope this is not one of the “several shots on target” you are referring to.

Then a miss-hit cross that the keeper has to save. Really?

you've just proven my point. You went looking for the negatives!  

Seriously? You're fucking blaming him for not being marked? Get a grip.  It was a decent his and the defender blocked it. 

No reference to his great run into the box? did you not register that because you're only looking for bad things? 

1 minute ago, StandFree1982 said:

you've just proven my point. You went looking for the negatives!  No mention of the very start of the video he has a shot deflected wide? no? Not a fucking surprise. 

I just mentioned that one at the start, are you blind?

How about 3 and half mins in when he makes a complete mess of the clearance and it hits his arm? Lucky it wasn’t a penalty.

• Downvote 1
  • Dildo 1
6 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

you've just proven my point. You went looking for the negatives!  

Seriously? You're fucking blaming him for not being marked? Get a grip.  It was a decent his and the defender blocked it. 

No reference to his great run into the box? did you not register that because you're only looking for bad things? 

I didn’t blame him for being unmarked, why would I do that? I said he had time to take a touch and score. It was a sclaffed half volley that was going wide until it hit the defender. He did well to make space in the box, has to do better there though.

No reference to the handball or are we only allowed to be happy clappers and ignore all the negatives?

• Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

I just mentioned that one at the start, are you blind?

How about 3 and half mins in when he makes a complete mess of the clearance and it hits his arm? Lucky it wasn’t a penalty.

So from that video, where he creates several good chances, via getting forward, taking on shots and driving into the box, you've picked on:

1) He wasn't marked, so you couldn't give him any credit ?!?! 

2) He took a volley first time, which looked on target, instead of taking a touch, in the box when he's about 6-10 yards out? aye ok

3) Complained that he made the keeper make a save and put ball out for a corner because it was a "mis-placed cross". If it went in you'd have celebr....actually, you would still have moaned like fuck. Taylor was waiting at the back post

4) Probably the only thing he did wrong in those highlights, the mishit clearance, which went out anyways.

Tons of worse players/incidents than him in those highlights alone. 

5 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

I didn’t blame him for being unmarked, why would I do that? I said he had time to take a touch and score. It was a sclaffed half volley that was going wide until it hit the defender. He did well to make space in the box, has to do better there though.

No reference to the handball or are we only allowed to be happy clappers and ignore all the negatives?

you ONLY look for negatives. That's the fucking point. You can't SEE any positives anywhere about the boy.  

You've not admitted you were wrong when you said that "he hasn’t played a pass like that and hasn’t created anything for our strikers". Which we both know is nonsense. 

4 hours ago, DelMonte said:

He has been lately. Been our best player in the past month. 

People’s issue is that you and other seems so desperate for him to fail so you’re proven right. Mental the abuse Campbell gets when the likes of McLennan are getting regular game time and look horrendous. Campbell gets singled out. 

Best player is maybe pushing it a bit. There's been plenty of glaring errors in those performances, not that he's been alone.... and I'll happily accept players trying stuff and not being afraid rather than hiding. I don't think he's getting abuse either. I don't think anyone has been really. Maybe Ojo this season when it was clear he was miles off it.

4 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Nae being funny but McGeouch played a handful of games for Celtic, played 2 out of 3 seasons for Hibs in the Championship then couldn't get a game for Sunderland in League 1. We aren't talking about a world beater being kept out of the team just like we aren't talking about Campbell being the next Patrick Vieira

Each to their own. I think he just lacks a run in a side that has a half decent midfielder playing alongside him.

3 hours ago, Millertime said:

He deserved it a while back, but since then he is the one out of the 3 who never ever hides and has even put in some shift defensively with a couple of great tackles 

As other said, really a per-requisite for a professional footballer who spends little else in his life other than playing or being coached.

3 hours ago, ollie1903 said:

Been in the last three U21 squads at 19 years old. Yet to make his debut, but being three age groups younger than McLennan I'd hope he'd be on course to play soon, and without trying to sound conceited, would say if games hadn't been shelved due to Covid he probably would have.

Don't recall this, but seeing as Muirhead made his debut in 2002 and Campbell's faither didn't join the forum until 2009, i'd say it probably didn't happen. 

Might have got my players mixed up but I do vividly recall being chastised for criticising a player that just broke into the team and thinking, I hope those comments don't come back to bite you. And I say that with absolute no malice - I wish Dean all the best, I sincerely do. Would love nothing else for him to be the next Simmie.

2 hours ago, DelMonte said:

Most on here can see he’s a young players who’s learning the game and improving. The issue everyone has is rubbishing him as not good enough already.

Again, I see it simply as folk just countering the argument. There's nothing wrong with that. I questioned a fucktruck of decisions McInnes made in his 8 years as to why players got a game. McLean played half a season and was absolute garb but got picked every week.

1 hour ago, Andy_123 said:

Grabbing the game by scruff of neck? Again, I think there's perhaps a liberal dose of red tinted specs at times. Doing what's required of that role and maybe looking better than the two more vaunted players in the side who we'd expect more from and for whom if we are in attendance, I'm sure would be getting pelters from the sidelines (not that I advocate that).

15 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

Even if the story was true, you'd still be wrong. If all you saw was 20mins your judgement was premature regardless of how he turned out.

If a scout turns up at a game and sees 20 mins of a player, chances are he'll know quite quickly if said player is shit/mediocre/shit hot. Doesn't take a coaching badge to see the potential or lack of in someone in a short spell on the park. There was a steady conveyor belt of players coming through at Aberdeen for about 15 years that were simply nae good enough for the first team at the time. Didn't help of course they were being hung out to dry by their more experienced team mates, but those players went out to achieve nothing in the game. Our youth development was poor for couple of decades.

4 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

So from that video, where he creates several good chances, via getting forward, taking on shots and driving into the box, you've picked on:

1) He wasn't marked, so you couldn't give him any credit ?!?! 

2) He took a volley first time, which looked on target, instead of taking a touch, in the box when he's about 6-10 yards out? aye ok

3) Complained that he made the keeper make a save and put ball out for a corner because it was a "mis-placed cross". If it went in you'd have celebr....actually, you would still have moaned like fuck. Taylor was waiting at the back post

4) Probably the only thing he did wrong in those highlights, the mishit clearance, which went out anyways.

Tons of worse players/incidents than him in those highlights alone. 

1) He was unmarked and had time to take a touch and score

2) he sclaffed it wide when he could have taken a touch and scored

3) where was I complaining? I pointed out that a miss hit cross is hardly a shot on target. Of course I would have celebrated.

4) so you happily admit he fucked it up and another ref could have given a pen?

Again, nobody is arguing that others players have been worse ??‍♂️

3 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

you ONLY look for negatives. That's the fucking point. You can't SEE any positives anywhere about the boy.  

You've not admitted you were wrong when you said that "he hasn’t played a pass like that and hasn’t created anything for our strikers". Which we both know is nonsense. 

But I thought I was a happy clapper though? I’ve been told that since I started.

• Downvote 1
  • Dildo 1