Welcome back Stephen Glass

1 hour ago, Sheeptastic said:

Considine saying the intensity of training has risen already and it's been a lot tougher. Does make you wonder what the hell was going on before. 

Had been told McInnes wasn’t even taking training most of the time and was just leaving it to Tony Doc.

8 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Had been told McInnes wasn’t even taking training most of the time and was just leaving it to Tony Doc.

What was McInnes doing then? Ball deep in India?

Easy to pinpoint when he fecking gave up. The minute Cormack re-entered the scene. 

Even Marvin Bartley could see the players weren’t giving there all.

16 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

What was McInnes doing then? Ball deep in India?

Easy to pinpoint when he fecking gave up. The minute Cormack re-entered the scene. 

Even Marvin Bartley could see the players weren’t giving there all.

Fuck knows. Before he left it was obvious he just couldn’t be arsed anymore. Should have never been allowed to get to that stage in the first place.

7 hours ago, Lencarl said:

I am racking my brain to see what makes Glass think that he will make Aberdeen great again.

Is there something I am missing here.

It took the huns around £60 million investment to win the Premiership and compete in Europe.

How much investment in players will Aberdeen receive ?

Every new manager has his thoughts on how to have a team playing fantastic football but this needs the players capable of  doing it, and this means cash spent on quality players.

I wish Glass and his coaches well and hope it all works out as planned.

There's nothing in Glass' history that suggests he's going to hit the ground running, and the fact he's a great talker means absolutely sweet fuck all when it comes to managing a fitba team. 

His management history is patchy to poor at best, and I'm going to assume he was also a great talker when he managed Atlanta B and Atlanta. 

I'm not excited, because there's little to be excited about. He'd have been nowhere near the managers job if I was appointing a new boss, however. 

I am rooting for him though... I hope he smashes this shite, backwater, third rate league and wins a fucking ton for us. 

• Downvote 1
  • Dildo 9
4 hours ago, Tord31 said:

3 days training aye but it was his choice to give them Tuesday off so he obviously doesn't think the time with the players is absolutely critical.

I can see Hornby starting but beyond that am excited to be surprised by the 'immediate changes on the pitch' that he's promised.

Captain?

Formation?

Personnel?

He had an extra day until they pulled it forward for the funeral tomorrow..

Agreed though, genuinely excited to see the game tomorrow

Encouraging that training seems to have gone up to a level we would actually expect. Makes you wonder what has been going on as McInnes seemed to have the players really fit and motivate the first few years, we seemed to score a lot of late goals as we were still going when the opposition was tired. The last few years we’ve not seen any of that and so many injuries and players hinting at training being low intensity. Maybe he became jaded with it all like some of us.

Either way it’s a good start. I’ve not watched a single press conference or clip of Glass talking yet though. Keeping expectation low I think but hoping he can deliver.

7 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Encouraging that training seems to have gone up to a level we would actually expect. Makes you wonder what has been going on as McInnes seemed to have the players really fit and motivate the first few years, we seemed to score a lot of late goals as we were still going when the opposition was tired. The last few years we’ve not seen any of that and so many injuries and players hinting at training being low intensity. Maybe he became jaded with it all like some of us.

Either way it’s a good start. I’ve not watched a single press conference or clip of Glass talking yet though. Keeping expectation low I think but hoping he can deliver.

McInnes lost his mojo after we convinced him to stay when Sunderland came calling. I think deep down he probably felt he made the wrong decision and let his wallet rule his head. In a nice cushy number in Aberdeen, somewhat out of the spotlight. No real challenge for 2nd. All comes from the top down... if you have an apathetic Chairman who thinks 3rd, Europe and the odd cup every decade or so, is acceptable, that then transcends to the manager and then the players.

6 hours ago, Stoneybloke said:

He needs to start as he means to go on and that will involve some degree of change. It will be a risk, but if we just see a re-cycled McInnes style team, the bold talk won't be worth much. Things may not get better overnight, but at least having a go will give us some hope for the future.

Giving the captaincy to Considine will be a start.

Captain has to be Brown surely?

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Ke1t said:

There's nothing in Glass' history that suggests he's going to hit the ground running, and the fact he's a great talker means absolutely sweet fuck all when it comes to managing a fitba team. 

His management history is patchy to poor at best, and I'm going to assume he was also a great talker when he managed Atlanta B and Atlanta. 

I'm not excited, because there's little to be excited about. He'd have been nowhere near the managers job if I was appointing a new boss, however. 

I am rooting for him though... I hope he smashes this shite, backwater, third rate league and wins a fucking ton for us. 

You moaned for months about mcinnes and the style of football, jokingly suggested India Taylor would do a better job than Mcinnes and got your wish with his sacking.

Now you are on to the next manager with your pish before a ball has even been kicked under him? 

Wise up.

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, Stoneybloke said:

I meant for tomorrow. Lewis has had his chance. Having a goalie as captain is an admission of failure.

Yeah but if Brooner is to be captain next season then he’s not going to change the captaincy for the remaining 8 games, and then change it again come the summer.

1 hour ago, Durrant Dived said:

You moaned for months about mcinnes and the style of football, jokingly suggested India Taylor would do a better job than Mcinnes and got your wish with his sacking.

Now you are on to the next manager with your pish before a ball has even been kicked under him? 

Wise up.

He was the one preaching about winning mentality and losers accepting mediocrity blah blah. He was banging on about Lee Richardson coming in as a motivational speaker as well. Glass apparently talks a good game, very positive and “not accepting mediocrity” yet this cunt is still angry/upset despite Glass pushing all the buttons he has been on about for god knows how long. 

Not only a shite talker with no credibility but definitely got a mail order bride.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Ke1t said:

I don’t think just looking at his time with the Atlanta B and Interim first team boss is ideal for a direct comparison. The purpose he had in those roles appear to be different to what he’s setting out at Aberdeen.

He’ll need time, 2/3 days training this week will not be a magic wand to envisage tomorrow will be a major turnaround with fast flowing, creativity all over the pitch revolution.

He definitely won’t even be able to field his preferred side with McKenzie being cup-tied.

The one thing I’ll be looking for tomorrow is the players attitude. You better be sure they will need to show that in abundance with a determination to succeed under Glass, else they’ll have 1 game less to impress.

21 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

* I don’t think just looking at his time with the Atlanta B and Interim first team boss is ideal for a direct comparison. The purpose he had in those roles appear to be different to what he’s setting out at Aberdeen.

** He’ll need time, 2/3 days training this week will not be a magic wand to envisage tomorrow will be a major turnaround with fast flowing, creativity all over the pitch revolution.

He definitely won’t even be able to field his preferred side with McKenzie being cup-tied.

The one thing I’ll be looking for tomorrow is the players attitude. You better be sure they will need to show that in abundance with a determination to succeed under Glass, else they’ll have 1 game less to impress.

* Then removing his experience with the Atlanta sides means he's coming into the job with absolutely no experience whatsoever, so if that's supposed to be an argument in support of Glass' appointment, it actually has exactly the opposite effect. It renders him even less qualified to be Aberdeen manager. 

** Here's the thing... you don't have to be much of a manager to succeed, or at least not fail, in the Scottish game. You don't even have to be particularly bright. Obvious imbeciles like Yogi and Lennon do just fine, even though they'd clearly be more at home swinging in the trees. This is why I have any optimism at all.  Glass is clearly intelligent, even though he's not a particularly good football manager. That intelligence might well mitigate his lack of ability, particularly in a shit league like the SPFL.  That's what I'm pinning my hopes on, plus the prospect of the club spending money to support him... so long as it's money we can afford to spend. 

A large number of Aberdeen fans are obviously swayed by the fact that he doesn't speak like he spends his spare time licking windows... and that's fine. I can see how people who lack critical thinking skills (the majority of people) would be easily swayed by someone who doesn't pronounce 'situation' as 'shit-yee-ayshun', or 'obviously' as 'oab-vee-ushlay'... linguistically it's a breath of fresh air... 

Dreadful appointment, but that's not to say he can't be a success. 

Feel free to slap a dildo on this post ?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Dildo 5
On 4/15/2021 at 7:27 PM, Hoofball said:

All he said in the interview was he’s a Celtic player and he wouldn’t talk about him as it’s disrespectful to both Celtic and Griffiths. Does that mean he’s not interested I wouldn’t say so

Could be he’s waiting for griffiths to be released and keeping an ace up his sleeve, and being a gentleman, before going for griffiths.  

19 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

* Then removing his experience with the Atlanta sides means he's coming into the job with absolutely no experience whatsoever, so if that's supposed to be an argument in support of Glass' appointment, it actually has exactly the opposite effect. It renders him even less qualified to be Aberdeen manager. 

** Here's the thing... you don't have to be much of a manager to succeed, or at least not fail, in the Scottish game. You don't even have to be particularly bright. Obvious imbeciles like Yogi and Lennon do just fine, even though they'd clearly be more at home swinging in the trees. This is why I have any optimism at all.  Glass is clearly intelligent, even though he's not a particularly good football manager. That intelligence might well mitigate his lack of ability, particularly in a shit league like the SPFL.  That's what I'm pinning my hopes on, plus the prospect of the club spending money to support him... so long as it's money we can afford to spend. 

A large number of Aberdeen fans are obviously swayed by the fact that he doesn't speak like he spends his spare time licking windows... and that's fine. I can see how people who lack critical thinking skills (the majority of people) would be easily swayed by someone who doesn't pronounce 'situation' as 'shit-yee-ayshun', or 'obviously' as 'oab-vee-ushlay'... linguistically it's a breath of fresh air... 

I’m also skeptical of the appointment and not getting carried away after a few interviews, but I don’t think you can say either way if he’s a good manager or not, or make claims about his ability, simply because he’s never been a manager before. It’s a huge gamble, sometimes they pay off though, he could be a great manager ?

2 minutes ago, Proud Dandy said:

I’m also skeptical of the appointment and not getting carried away after a few interviews, but I don’t think you can say either way if he’s a good manager or not, or make claims about his ability, simply because he’s never been a manager before. It’s a huge gamble, sometimes they pay off though, he could be a great manager ?

Aye, saying he's a bad manager is premature. 

The reality is that he's a completely unknown quantity. 

I hope he has a decent start and gets some goodwill behind him early. 

Just now, Proud Dandy said:

* I’m also skeptical of the appointment and not getting carried away after a few interviews, 

** but I don’t think you can say either way if he’s a good manager or not, or make claims about his ability, simply because he’s never been a manager before. It’s a huge gamble, sometimes they pay off though, he could be a great manager ?

* Welcome to the ranks of the skeptical minority. Expect dildoes. ?

** Well, I can say he's not a particularly good manager, because he managed both Atlanta B and Atlanta, and he wasn't particularly good with either. 

People are stoked because he's coherent, 'out of left field', promises attacking football, and has the backing of the board. Nowhere in there are people stoked because he's a good football manager... and unfortunately that's his primary designation at the club... football manager. 

Everyone's happy enough to ignore this glaring disconnect, though.

• Downvote 1
  • Dildo 6
35 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

:clangers2:

You used to be decent 

3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye, saying he's a bad manager is premature. 

The reality is that he's a completely unknown quantity. 

I hope he has a decent start and gets some goodwill behind him early. 

I didn't say he's a bad manager... I said his record is patchy to poor and he's demonstrated that he's not particularly good. 

Top of MY list of "Things I want in a football manager" is "Good at being a football manager"

Glass lacks that criteria. 

• Downvote 1
17 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

* (1)Then removing his experience with the Atlanta sides means he's coming into the job with absolutely no experience whatsoever, so if that's supposed to be an argument in support of Glass' appointment, it actually has exactly the opposite effect. It renders him even less qualified to be Aberdeen manager. 

** (2) Here's the thing... you don't have to be much of a manager to succeed, or at least not fail, in the Scottish game. You don't even have to be particularly bright. Obvious imbeciles like Yogi and Lennon do just fine, even though they'd clearly be more at home swinging in the trees. This is why I have any optimism at all.  Glass is clearly intelligent, even though he's not a particularly good football manager. That intelligence might well mitigate his lack of ability, particularly in a shit league like the SPFL.  That's what I'm pinning my hopes on, plus the prospect of the club spending money to support him... so long as it's money we can afford to spend. 

(3) Dreadful appointment, but that's not to say he can't be a success. 

Feel free to slap a dildo on this 

No Dildo slapped, but a differing opinion.

(1)To say he has no experience is bollox. He said he did his pro licence 8 years ago and has coached at varying levels in that time, all building and adding to his experience. Now you may have an argument that he does not have much experience coaching as the main man for any professional club, but then we could point out that any top level manager / coach had to start somewhere and be given the opportunity to flourish as the main man. Glass is a calculated gamble,  no argument there,  it far far better to try this fresh approach than go with the same lame old suggestions of Lennon, Yogi, Robinson, Wright, etc etc etc. He himself has stated he needs to prove he will be a success and it would seem from his very get go, he is putting in place a team of successful winners in Russell and Brown that adds more confidence that he will have a better chance of succeeding than of those previously listed.

(2) You’re contradicting yourself here. You say Glass has ‘no experience whatsoever’, yet also claim ‘he’s not a particular good football manager’. It would seem from the outside that he has been very successful in what his role at Atlanta was, which was to develop players capable of moving into the main Atlanta side. I’m convinced that this experience is part of his reasoning for selection, in that his requirement will be to develop and use the youth system more. I would agree he will be backed, but this will be for the core of the first team to add experience supported with the youth development. It means we’ll likely have a smaller squad of journeymen but a core group with confidence to promote from within.

(3) It’s clear you think he’s the wrong appointment. Time will tell. I hope he is successful and you get a big fat GIRFUY for your negativity.

17 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

1 minute ago, Zeus said:

:clangers2:

You used to be decent 

You sound like my wife. 

If you have a criticism or a counterpoint you can always write it down and I'll address it.

"Naw it's naw" isn't a counterpioint... and nor are dildos... though that seems to be the main attempt at rebuttal people manage. ?

• Downvote 1
1 minute ago, Ke1t said:

You sound like my wife. 

If you have a criticism or a counterpoint you can always write it down and I'll address it.

"Naw it's naw" isn't a counterpioint... and nor are dildos... though that seems to be the main attempt at rebuttal people manage. ?

Didn't give you the dildo. 

4 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Why wouldn’t you wish to hear what the new manager of the team you support has to say?

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

No Dildo slapped, but a differing opinion.

(1)To say he has no experience is bollox. He said he did his pro licence 8 years ago and has coached at varying levels in that time, all building and adding to his experience. Now you may have an argument that he does not have much experience coaching as the main man for any professional club, but then we could point out that any top level manager / coach had to start somewhere and be given the opportunity to flourish as the main man. Glass is a calculated gamble,  no argument there,  it far far better to try this fresh approach than go with the same lame old suggestions of Lennon, Yogi, Robinson, Wright, etc etc etc. He himself has stated he needs to prove he will be a success and it would seem from his very get go, he is putting in place a team of successful winners in Russell and Brown that adds more confidence that he will have a better chance of succeeding than of those previously listed.

(2) You’re contradicting yourself here. You say Glass has ‘no experience whatsoever’, yet also claim ‘he’s not a particular good football manager’. It would seem from the outside that he has been very successful in what his role at Atlanta was, which was to develop players capable of moving into the main Atlanta side. I’m convinced that this experience is part of his reasoning for selection, in that his requirement will be to develop and use the youth system more. I would agree he will be backed, but this will be for the core of the first team to add experience supported with the youth development. It means we’ll likely have a smaller squad of journeymen but a core group with confidence to promote from within.

(3) It’s clear you think he’s the wrong appointment. Time will tell. I hope he is successful and you get a big fat GIRFUY for your negativity.

I appreciate a cogent response. 

1. I didn't say he has no experience. His experience, as I've repeatedly stated, is with Atlanta, where his record is poor.  I can recall two previous managers who had little to no experience managing football clubs, Willie Miller and Roy Aitken. Both ended in disaster. 

2. I'm not contradicting myself. As above, I cited Atlanta as his managerial experience and IF you take that experience out of the equation (as another poster hypothetically suggested) then that means he has no experience, hypothetically. I wasn't making both arguments, I was rebutting one of them. 

3. I think hiring  a manager whose track record is that of Stephen Glass' is a bad idea, yes. But as I've repeatedly said, not being a good manager isn't an impediment to success in the SPFL. I live in hope. 

• Downvote 1
  • Dildo 2
2 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

1. I didn't say he has no experience. His experience, as I've repeatedly stated, is with Atlanta, where his record is poor.  I can recall two previous managers who had little to no experience managing football clubs, Willie Miller and Roy Aitken. Both ended in disaster. 

2. I'm not contradicting myself. As above, I cited Atlanta as his managerial experience and IF you take that experience out of the equation (as another poster hypothetically suggested) then that means he has no experience, hypothetically. I wasn't making both arguments, I was rebutting one of them. 

3. I think giving a manager whose track record is that of Stephen Glass' is a bad idea, yes. But as I've repeatedly said, not being a good manager isn't an impediment to success in the SPFL. I live in hope. 

I too share the reservations you have, Kelt. 

As I’ve said before, if it weren’t for the Atlanta link, Stephen Glass wouldn’t have got a mention.

I don’t think there will be any middle ground on this, it’ll either go pear shaped or be a masterstroke.

But he’s here now, he speaks & communicates well, hopefully that translates into his management & coaching.

I wish him well & really hope he succeeds & proves me wrong, and I don’t think we should start judging him until next season.

Here’s hoping he gets off to a positive start tomorrow. 

• Dildo 1
6 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

3. I think hiring  a manager whose track record is that of Stephen Glass' is a bad idea, yes. But as I've repeatedly said, not being a good manager isn't an impediment to success in the SPFL. I live in hope. 

There are far bigger clubs than Aberdeen that have successfully promoted coaches with no top team experience into the top role, where by your requirements shouldn’t have been afforded that opportunity.

His role and promotions within Atlanta would suggest he was successful in his role of developing and promoting players from the B team. A short interim time coverage in the A team where they were selling off their prize assets and he had taken over at a turbulent time is not fair to determine if he is capable of being the main man at Aberdeen. I reiterate, his first actions of getting a successful team of winners in (Brown and Russell) instill confidence that he is putting in place a good foundation to be successful and that the club will support him in delivering the targets they are setting.