Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

Welcome back Stephen Glass

4 hours ago, South Stand Seagull said:

Our CHs have just played SO bad. 

You can fairly critiqe Glass; however, the players are equally to blame. Defending a cross or a long ball is not the Managers fault.

Now if he continues to play McCorie over Bates, then that’s the managers fault. But even then… our other CH has been abysmal.

That might be valid if that area hasn’t been a concern for a long time and his belief that McRorie was a CH despite lots of evidence in his past that he just isn’t. Our central defence is awful, as bad as I’ve seen, the buck has to stop at a level higher than the players. Step up Mr Colgate and Mr Glass. 

17 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Mcinnes was hung out to dry in his last 6 months

What a crock of shit.

McInnes was sufficiently marked but lots his desire, appetite and hunger to succeed.

He had no plan B and if rumours are true, spent less time with the players to work on things.

I was a McInnes supporter, defended him on his record, but that last 6 month was abysmal. He had to go

5 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Several reasons for this…

1) Lewis is incapable of organising a defence and is letting in goals (and sometimes directly gifting goals) that he didn’t a few seasons back

2) our full backs are our only means of attack so they’re often way up the park and we get caught out with a big diagonal punt or ball into the channel

3) our midfielders, despite all being fairly defensively minded and constantly sitting right in front of the defence when we have the ball, seem to be providing very inadequate help to the defence when we don’t have the ball.

4) McCrorie is too erratic to play central defence - he dives in and is over enthusiastic and has very little positional sense. We’re caught out time and time again when long balls are played up in his direction

5) Gallagher is not as good as he thinks he is, or as Glass thinks he is. He was supposed to organise and shore things up at the back but from what I’ve seen he’s lacklustre and slow

6) we’re trying to play out from the back with a goalkeeper who’s useless at kicking

7) our passing is too slow and any balls forward are inaccurate, so although we have lots of possession it goes nowhere and allows the opponents to regroup

theres 7 reasons for starters…

Should add… it’s particularly worrying we’ve only 1 clean sheet considering we’ve not even played against the “better” teams yet

Spoken like a true mafia DON. 

44 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Not making the 18 & taking up a valuable wage.

We’d save ourselves a fortune by not having him, McGinn, Devlin & McGeouch on the wage bill, and not one of them would be missed. 

They’ll be draining about £500k a year out the club. 

You think McGeouch took a (massive) hit on his Sunderland wages for the privelige of joining us then?

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Not making the 18 & taking up a valuable wage.

We’d save ourselves a fortune by not having him, McGinn, Devlin & McGeouch on the wage bill, and not one of them would be missed. 

They’ll be draining about £500k a year out the club. 

Kennedy might be shit and he is shit but I’ll tell you what, I’d have played him yesterday - decent level of pace and would have been a round peg in the round hole that the square peg known as Ojo was forced to wedge into

Hope to fuck I’m wrong but I think the St Johnstone game will be messy. They are shite with zero wins so far this season in all competitions yet, we all know the script, having read this same book for many years under many managers. The one saving grace we have is Scott Brown’s attitude that you’d hope would rub off on one or two others.

1 hour ago, Millertime said:

Nothing is the same

Mcinnes was hung out to dry in his last 6 months

What he delivered,  2nd/3rd mostly or 4th is lightyears ahead of what glass looks capable of

You've deduced what Glass is capable of already? Ingenious. 

Given we were on a three year downward spiral prior to his arrival, I'm giving him the season, unless we end up in relegation trouble. As it stands, he has only just assembled his own team and needs time for it to gel. While disappointed at the Euro and cup exits, I've seen shoots of improvement overall and am willing to give him the benefit for now, also keeping in mind the next transfer window in January.

• Upvote 1

The 1 thing I feared if Glass struggled is that people would say we were wrong to sack Mcinnes. Make absolute no mistake it was time for him to go and anyone saying otherwise needs to have a word with themselves. The problem lies with if Glass was the right appointment, I wasn't initially happy with appointment but he almost won me over but on reflection if it weren't for 2 GK's basically throwing the ball in the net in the Livi win and county draw things would be even worse. Things could get really toxic if we don't get results and performances that match the investment. 

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Given we were on a three year downward spiral prior to his arrival, I'm giving him the season, unless we end up in relegation trouble. As it stands, he has only just assembled his own team and needs time for it to gel. While disappointed at the Euro and cup exits, I've seen shoots of improvement overall and am willing to give him the benefit for now, also keeping in mind the next transfer window in January.

Ticks just about every box in the bury the head in the sand list Jocky. 

Supporters have every right to question what is going on. We've not won in 6 and the signing policy is scattergun to say the least so far.

When is it OK for supporters to ask questions regarding the results and the performances on the park? 

• Upvote 2
20 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Three year downward spiral?

What were our last 3 year league placings, seasons that mcinnes finished ?

10 minutes ago, slippers said:

The 1 thing I feared if Glass struggled is that people would say we were wrong to sack Mcinnes. Make absolute no mistake it was time for him to go and anyone saying otherwise needs to have a word with themselves. The problem lies with if Glass was the right appointment, I wasn't initially happy with appointment but he almost won me over but on reflection if it weren't for 2 GK's basically throwing the ball in the net in the Livi win and county draw things would be even worse. Things could get really toxic if we don't get results and performances that match the investment. 

I was waiting for someone to say this

The only way sacking mcinnes was right, was if someone could better his record 

They have to do better than 2nd/3rd mostly, 4th very occasionally

Do you think glass can do that?

Guest milne_afc

It’s not a fair comparison. McInnes’ best finishes and only cup win came in the weakest ever period of the modern era. 
This season will be the strongest in 20+ years.

Not a defence of Glass btw, he’s a frail weakling of a man who won’t be a successful manager at any level of football.

3 minutes ago, Millertime said:

None of us know that yet. Regardless of what happens with Glass a Aberdeen team with the third biggest budget in league is expected to finish third or they are underachieving. Mcinnes side has finished 4th in last 3 season and don't think he cant take credit for last seasons finish. Hibs beating us to third last season is a little more understanding as they have a very similar budget but Motherwell and Killie piping us to third on half the budget is completely unacceptable. His time was up. I really hope it all clicks for Glass but lack of CB's and creative players does not bode well going forward!

Hun DMC inherited a team with Hayes, Mcginn, Pawlett, etc and the bulk of the side he inherited went on to win the only cup in the sleekit cunts over numerated reign,  yes he had to bring in better players and he did that and got the reward within a year, 

Glass has had to try and polish a turd, a negative side, with a negative mentality, inherited from a weegie orange cunt,  yes things aren't so good now but he has far more surgery to do on the squad that the last charlatan who was getting 17 grand a week to show up when it suited him, 

• Upvote 5
12 minutes ago, slippers said:

None of us know that yet. Regardless of what happens with Glass a Aberdeen team with the third biggest budget in league is expected to finish third or they are underachieving. Mcinnes side has finished 4th in last 3 season and don't think he cant take credit for last seasons finish. Hibs beating us to third last season is a little more understanding as they have a very similar budget but Motherwell and Killie piping us to third on half the budget is completely unacceptable. His time was up. I really hope it all clicks for Glass but lack of CB's and creative players does not bode well going forward!

Mcinnes had run out of steam and run out of ideas. I’d arguably say Aberdeen haven’t been a decent team to watch since the 2017 cup final. Glass might not be the right man, hopefully turns it round soon. He needs to.

• Upvote 3
9 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

Hun DMC inherited a team with Hayes, Mcginn, Pawlett, etc and the bulk of the side he inherited went on to win the only cup in the sleekit cunts over numerated reign,  yes he had to bring in better players and he did that and got the reward within a year, 

Glass has had to try and polish a turd, a negative side, with a negative mentality, inherited from a weegie orange cunt,  yes things aren't so good now but he has far more surgery to do on the squad that the last charlatan who was getting 17 grand a week to show up when it suited him, 

He can’t say he hasn’t been backed though.

How many has he brought in? 
10?

The signings have been patchy so far.

Woods - Decent no2. 

Gurr - just shite

Gallagher - has looked bang average so far.

Bates - obviously not had any chance yet

Brown - started well but been average last few games

Jenks - shown nothing aside from one decent goal

Longstaff - done nothing of note

Watkins - early days

Samuels - only had 60 mins so who knows

Ramirez - Earning a fortune by our standards. Needs chances put on a plate as he won’t do anything himself. 

The thing is, even if his recruitment had been 100% bang on, I don’t think he has it within him to structure a team, defensively or to create anything.

A disorganised rabble at times with no discernible style of play, formation, creation or pace. 

We’ll have a far better idea by the end of October once we’ve played the scum x2 & the Edinburgh clubs.

If that goes badly, then the number of doubters will inevitably grow. 

55 minutes ago, slippers said:

As I posted elsewhere, the scenario was akin to Caladerwood's last 18 months, in which his limitations were truly exposed, resulting in a slow but inexorable decline. While McGhee failed, of that there is no doubt, this does not alter the fact Caladerwood's time was undoubtedly up. The same applies to McInnes, good though he was in his first 5 years.

53 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Ticks just about every box in the bury the head in the sand list Jocky. 

Supporters have every right to question what is going on. We've not won in 6 and the signing policy is scattergun to say the least so far.

When is it OK for supporters to ask questions regarding the results and the performances on the park? 

You misunderstood slightly. I am not in any way saying we can't or shouldn't ask questions, nor apply constructive criticism. I am however stating that, while the Cup exit (and to a point the Euro exit) are huge disappointments, this was our first league defeat and it's thus premature for fans to shit the bed. The transfer window has just closed and while I feel the team should be more balanced, the side has only just been assembled and thus deserves just a wee bit more time. I also give Glass the next transfer window to rectify any faults that remain between now and Xmas. 

If things don't pick up after January, then yes I will be voicing dissent, but at this early stage? Come on, guys...

44 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Three year downward spiral?

What were our last 3 year league placings, seasons that mcinnes finished ?

With respect, those who say we couldn't expect to lay a glove on Rantic and Celgers due to budget differences are often the same ones who condone the fact we were bested in the league three years running by Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Hibernian, all of whom had significantly less to work with. Not to mention the Cup results in this time. We were on an irreversible downward spiral, due to the law of diminishing returns and whether Glass succeeds or not (and he certainly wasn't my preferred choice) parting with McInnes when we did was the correct decision.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

He can’t say he hasn’t been backed though.

How many has he brought in? 
10?

The signings have been patchy so far.

Woods - Decent no2. 

Gurr - just shite

Gallagher - has looked bang average so far.

Bates - obviously not had any chance yet

Brown - started well but been average last few games

Jenks - shown nothing aside from one decent goal

Longstaff - done nothing of note

Watkins - early days

Samuels - only had 60 mins so who knows

Ramirez - Earning a fortune by our standards. Needs chances put on a plate as he won’t do anything himself. 

The thing is, even if his recruitment had been 100% bang on, I don’t think he has it within him to structure a team, defensively or to create anything.

A disorganised rabble at times with no discernible style of play, formation, creation or pace. 

We’ll have a far better idea by the end of October once we’ve played the scum x2 & the Edinburgh clubs.

If that goes badly, then the number of doubters will inevitably grow. 

Add JET, McGinn and Devlin and that's 13.

18 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

As I posted elsewhere, the scenario was akin to Caladerwood's last 18 months, in which his limitations were truly exposed, resulting in a slow but inexorable decline. While McGhee failed, of that there is no doubt, this does not alter the fact Caladerwood's time was undoubtedly up. The same applies to McInnes, good though he was in his first 5 years.

You misunderstood slightly. I am not in any way saying we can't or shouldn't ask questions, nor apply constructive criticism. I am however stating that, while the Cup exit (and to a point the Euro exit) are huge disappointments, this was our first league defeat and it's thus premature for fans to shit the bed. The transfer window has just closed and while I feel the team should be more balanced, the side has only just been assembled and thus deserves just a wee bit more time. I also give Glass the next transfer window to rectify any faults that remain between now and Xmas. 

If things don't pick up after January, then yes I will be voicing dissent, but at this early stage? Come on, guys...

With respect, those who say we couldn't expect to lay a glove on Rantic and Celgers due to budget differences are often the same ones who condone the fact we were bested in the league three years running by Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Hibernian, all of whom had significantly less to work with. Not to mention the Cup results in this time. We were on an irreversible downward spiral, due to the law of diminishing returns and whether Glass succeeds or not (and he certainly wasn't my preferred choice) parting with McInnes when we did was the correct decision.

Answer the question 

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Forgot about JET - he’s 1 game champagne, 3 shite.

The other two aren’t new signings - was only talking about players he’s brought in. 

Yeah but those two could’ve been off the wage bill as they were out of contract, and we could’ve brought in one or two others instead. It was his choice to re-sign and waste money on two players who will hardly play a handful of games between them this season.

so he’s signed 1 keeper, 4 defenders (inc devlin), 3 midfielders, 5 attacking players (inc McGinn - although only Ramirez is an out and out striker from that bunch)

52 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Yeah but those two could’ve been off the wage bill as they were out of contract, and we could’ve brought in one or two others instead. It was his choice to re-sign and waste money on two players who will hardly play a handful of games between them this season.

so he’s signed 1 keeper, 4 defenders (inc devlin), 3 midfielders, 5 attacking players (inc McGinn - although only Ramirez is an out and out striker from that bunch)

Gurr is a bit part defender but will be forced into side now because of Ramsay injury. (Not even as good as Logan on Logan’s bad days)

Devlin has only replaced the Devlin of last season, ie. The one that wasn’t there.

Bates is the replacement for Considine (likely similar quality at best) 

Gallagher is replacing Taylor/Hoban with a makeshift midfielder trying to be passed off as another defender in McCrorie to replace the other.

Absolutely brutal management of ‘strengthening’ a defence that was really quite hard to fk up in improving but somehow the Glass man has managed it.

He had more than enough time to see what was needed but wasted far too long on chasing shite like Robertson & then only signed fkn Bates as a replacement for Consi ffs.

For someone touted (by the snake oil salesman puppeteer) as vastly experienced in coaching & what is needed & someone that ‘knows the Scottish game’ inside out. Glass has made a complete cunt of our defence & if not for the emergence of great potential prospects in Ramsay/Mackenzie to distract slightly, then Glass would be taking a lot more fkn shit from fans for the utter shambles our defence is.

Yes there is probably also an argument to lay some blame for defensive shambles on the midfield also (they certainly don’t escape criticism) but ultimately it is all down to Glass & what he thought would work in Scottish football.

Ffs St Johnstone probably lost their two strongest defensive players & I bet their result v Huns will be a lot better than our cluster fks will achieve 

3 hours ago, BonnieDon said:

Not worried whatsoever. It's so early into the season. Just remember St Johnstone fans wanted Davidson gone in October of last season. He went on to do the cup double with a 5th place finish. We are a good side and he deserves time. 

Maybe you’re not worried but depends on what your ambitions are for club are compared to others, whether for this season or future but this season the absolute minimum expectations have got to be continued league finish at least for Euro qualification (zero excuses for not as that is what we expect from ANY Aberdeen manager) no transition period BS excuses in that very minimal expectation. Especially after all the bravado spouted by Cormack to justify Glass being ‘the best candidate for the job’ there can be zero tolerance for failure at that. That is a pathetic expectation on its own for our budget though as we should be also aiming for a cup & fk all the BS but but but the arse cheeks shite, as that has been proven (even when Huns were at best last season) that cups are cups & there for anyone that is halfway decent.

Current form has us far from any of these expectations, you may brush it off as not being worried but these SHITE results & performances are exactly what cost very poor to average teams latterly in season. We aren’t able to spend big & try to fix things in January window like the arse cheeks can, so we need to make the Summer windows our best windows & hit ground running.

11 hours ago, BonnieDon said:

Not worried whatsoever. It's so early into the season. Just remember St Johnstone fans wanted Davidson gone in October of last season. He went on to do the cup double with a 5th place finish. We are a good side and he deserves time. 

Well if we end up doing the cup double this season we’ll all be proven wrong… oh wait a minute… ??‍♂️

17 hours ago, Millertime said:

So when Cormack sacked McInnes did you think it was the wrong decision?