Welcome back Stephen Glass

1 hour ago, Yorston Vasey said:

^^^ happy clapper found ^^^

I just think she hasn't pished her pants.

We are undergoing a transition. We've immediately improved our possession stat and changed from just lumping the ball long and giving away possession.

We do need to learn how to break teams down as teams are capatilising on just sitting in and hitting on the break

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Millertime said:

I was waiting for someone to say this

The only way sacking mcinnes was right, was if someone could better his record 

They have to do better than 2nd/3rd mostly, 4th very occasionally

Do you think glass can do that?

3 minutes ago, Rico1903 said:

So when Cormack sacked McInnes did you think it was the wrong decision?

McInnes's last 6 months must have had us close to relegation form

2 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

I just think she hasn't pished her pants.

We are undergoing a transition. We've immediately improved our possession stat and changed from just lumping the ball long and giving away possession.

We do need to learn how to break teams down as teams are capatilising on just sitting in and hitting on the break

Aye, if you play 5 central midfielders who are basically possession type players then you can keep the ball for 89 minutes without looking like scoring, and in the other minute the opponents will punt it long and we’ll make a total hash of it and lose 1-0. 

hopefully, getting guys like hedges back and Watkins up to speed, and maybe even Samuels in the team will help us convert possession into goals. Even JET playing up alongside Ramirez (not standing around on the half way line) would make a difference.

11 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Aye, if you play 5 central midfielders who are basically possession type players then you can keep the ball for 89 minutes without looking like scoring, and in the other minute the opponents will punt it long and we’ll make a total hash of it and lose 1-0. 

hopefully, getting guys like hedges back and Watkins up to speed, and maybe even Samuels in the team will help us convert possession into goals. Even JET playing up alongside Ramirez (not standing around on the half way line) would make a difference.

I think JET works well against teams where they will sit in. i.e. Ross County, Motherwell, Livingston etc, but against better teams his workrate is just not good enough.

He can play that creative role i.e. his pass through to McKenzie the other day was very nice and got us in behind their back line, but don;t think it will work against Celtic, SevCo or even Hibs. He did well as an impact sub against Hearts after they had busted a gut in the first 60 minutes and ran out of steam.

So Jet can be very good for 1/2 the league, but (in my opinion) will only be beneficial as an impact sub against the top half

8 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

I think JET works well against teams where they will sit in. i.e. Ross County, Motherwell, Livingston etc, but against better teams his workrate is just not good enough.

He can play that creative role i.e. his pass through to McKenzie the other day was very nice and got us in behind their back line, but don;t think it will work against Celtic, SevCo or even Hibs. He did well as an impact sub against Hearts after they had busted a gut in the first 60 minutes and ran out of steam.

So Jet can be very good for 1/2 the league, but (in my opinion) will only be beneficial as an impact sub against the top half

The game against Motherwell I would have played JET up front alongside Ramirez instead of Ojo running about doing who knows what. 

First real test of Glass’s credentials as manager now. Presumably the players brought in were with his backing so it up to him to get them gelling as team. We have a good squad and some have come in with big reputations but have yet to get going (Gallacher, Longstaff etc). There’s certainly a problem to fix at the back. Maybe Bates will be the answer. Persisting with McCrorie won’t help his case though. We’re creating plenty but the finishing in front of goal has been pitiful. The fact we were dominant in possession against Motherwell gives me some hope that Glass can get us firing once the team have had a few more games to get to know one another’s games and build an understanding.

We’ve been dumped out of 2 cups and lost ground in the league so he’s got a job to do to win over the detractors who questioned his suitability for the role.

Not quite time to panic yet but needs to get us out of the slump quick to avoid the fans getting on his back.

26 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Do you think that? 

Maybe I'm wrong (it's been known to happen) but my memory of McInnes' last couple of seasons is very much having all of the ball but doing absolutely nothing with it. 

We definitely have more possession now. Last 2 games we've had 75%.

We had 56% v Motherwell away last season and 48% v Ross County under mcinnes at home.

• Upvote 1
59 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Do you think that? 

Maybe I'm wrong (it's been known to happen) but my memory of McInnes' last couple of seasons is very much having all of the ball but doing absolutely nothing with it. 

My ending memory under McInnes was the ball inevitably passed back to Taylor or Lewis to lump it long.

At least now we seem to be trying to play out from the back and have possession further up the pitch.

Yes, we still need to have that creative element which seems lacking at the moment, but hopefully that will come

36 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

My ending memory under McInnes was the ball inevitably passed back to Taylor or Lewis to lump it long.

At least now we seem to be trying to play out from the back and have possession further up the pitch.

Yes, we still need to have that creative element which seems lacking at the moment, but hopefully that will come

Our defence is shit. We will win nothing and be nothing until that is sorted. We are out of two cups and lucky to be in the middle of the table because our defence is shit. If the Livingston keeper could hold a ball we’d be in the bottom half and really that’s where we are performing at present. Can’t defend, can’t create. Can pass horizontally in the middle of the park. The St Mirren game will be interesting. Lose that and we will be well in the relegation lineup. Did I say our defence is shit. We can have Hedges back with Watkins and score the odd goal but unless they’ve turned into Pele and Messi we will still lose. I hope Bates is great and being a loan player in bottom hugging Belgian side makes him capable but there’s a lot to fix. We have a gaping wound in the centre of defence. 

• Upvote 2
52 minutes ago, Kincardine_Mearns_Red said:

Next few weeks are pivotal. It will tell us a lot about the direction this club is heading in under Cormack/Glass. Pressure is building.

I'll save you some time.

We are most definitely on a downward spiral.

Correct decision to fire DM.

Wrong decision to appoint SG, he's a puppet manager for DC who is playing a poor game of Fantasy Football Manager.

What worries me is the money we're wasting. Every year we're increasing the budget, quite significantly too, and seeing poorer returns. Now the jury is very much still out on this season as I appreciate it's early days, but given what we're spending we should expect to see a lot better than we currently are, and we shouldn't have to wait too long for it either.

21 hours ago, slippers said:

None of us know that yet. Regardless of what happens with Glass a Aberdeen team with the third biggest budget in league is expected to finish third or they are underachieving. Mcinnes side has finished 4th in last 3 season and don't think he cant take credit for last seasons finish. Hibs beating us to third last season is a little more understanding as they have a very similar budget but Motherwell and Killie piping us to third on half the budget is completely unacceptable. His time was up. I really hope it all clicks for Glass but lack of CB's and creative players does not bode well going forward!

Budgets need taken with a pinch of salt

Like it or not, we only pay more because peoplel want more to live in Aberdeen over Glasgow or Edinburgh (like it or not thats the truth)

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

As I posted elsewhere, the scenario was akin to Caladerwood's last 18 months, in which his limitations were truly exposed, resulting in a slow but inexorable decline. While McGhee failed, of that there is no doubt, this does not alter the fact Caladerwood's time was undoubtedly up. The same applies to McInnes, good though he was in his first 5 years.

You misunderstood slightly. I am not in any way saying we can't or shouldn't ask questions, nor apply constructive criticism. I am however stating that, while the Cup exit (and to a point the Euro exit) are huge disappointments, this was our first league defeat and it's thus premature for fans to shit the bed. The transfer window has just closed and while I feel the team should be more balanced, the side has only just been assembled and thus deserves just a wee bit more time. I also give Glass the next transfer window to rectify any faults that remain between now and Xmas. 

If things don't pick up after January, then yes I will be voicing dissent, but at this early stage? Come on, guys...

With respect, those who say we couldn't expect to lay a glove on Rantic and Celgers due to budget differences are often the same ones who condone the fact we were bested in the league three years running by Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Hibernian, all of whom had significantly less to work with. Not to mention the Cup results in this time. We were on an irreversible downward spiral, due to the law of diminishing returns and whether Glass succeeds or not (and he certainly wasn't my preferred choice) parting with McInnes when we did was the correct decision.

Did we not finish 2nd at least twice, ahead of "rangers "?

Sacking mcinnes was only right if we could get someone better

So far, doesn't look like we have 

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, Woody21 said:

I'll save you some time.

Wrong decision to appoint SG, he's a puppet manager for DC who is playing a poor game of Fantasy Football Manager.

Totally agree. Can Cormack see it though and get real about the situation. Or will he just blunder on with the failed experiment like what Milne used to do.

1 hour ago, Crossbow said:

Our defence is shit. We will win nothing and be nothing until that is sorted. We are out of two cups and lucky to be in the middle of the table because our defence is shit. If the Livingston keeper could hold a ball we’d be in the bottom half and really that’s where we are performing at present. Can’t defend, can’t create. Can pass horizontally in the middle of the park. The St Mirren game will be interesting. Lose that and we will be well in the relegation lineup. Did I say our defence is shit. We can have Hedges back with Watkins and score the odd goal but unless they’ve turned into Pele and Messi we will still lose. I hope Bates is great and being a loan player in bottom hugging Belgian side makes him capable but there’s a lot to fix. We have a gaping wound in the centre of defence. 

Are you saying you are missing Ash Taylor, Tommy Hobban and Andy Considine?

I agree, we have been shipping poor goals, but the 2nd one was down to poor defending from Ferguson. He made no challenge whatsovever.

Gallagher was poor for the first one, again not close enough to make a meaningful challenge.

So yes, we need to tighten up, but we also need to score, especially first. Losing the early goal just plays into the opposition hands, whereas if we score first, they'd have to come out more, the game would get stretched and space would open up for us.

1 hour ago, Woody21 said:

I'll save you some time.

I wonder about this too. Vets get signed like ramirez and brown that arent exactly bums. A young cm gets loaned in who could be decent, the youth side of things is doing their bit sending up talent... and Motherwell still topples us by 2 goals. 

46 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Did we not finish 2nd at least twice, ahead of "rangers "?

Sacking mcinnes was only right if we could get someone better

So far, doesn't look like we have 

That is not true, we were beyond stale with him and regressing, I have a feeling he didn't like the greater changes that Cormack wanted to implement behind the scenes with regards to the DoF and more analytical based working.  If those changes along with Glass/his staff are given time and they work, we can build a sustainable model with the new infrastructure in place we'll then be in a much better position than we ever would have been had we stuck with him.

• Upvote 2
17 hours ago, BonnieDon said:

Not worried whatsoever. It's so early into the season. Just remember St Johnstone fans wanted Davidson gone in October of last season. He went on to do the cup double with a 5th place finish. We are a good side and he deserves time. 

Excuses starting to build up for Glass though.

Lost 0-3 to Dundee United last season in the Cup. Not his fault, inherited a mess from McInnes. Needs to be judged when he gets his own players in and a pre-season behind him

Lost to Raith this season - not his fault, players are tired playing twice a week.

Lost to Motherwell - needs time to bed in our new players.

At what point is he deemed to be accountable for any results?

2 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

Are you saying you are missing Ash Taylor, Tommy Hobban and Andy Considine?

I agree, we have been shipping poor goals, but the 2nd one was down to poor defending from Ferguson. He made no challenge whatsovever.

Gallagher was poor for the first one, again not close enough to make a meaningful challenge.

So yes, we need to tighten up, but we also need to score, especially first. Losing the early goal just plays into the opposition hands, whereas if we score first, they'd have to come out more, the game would get stretched and space would open up for us.

Our defence is missing co-ordination between the central defenders and co-ordination with tracking midfielders - it's a mess - it's been bad with some of the defenders you mention but as of now it's shocking.

You are correct scoring would help - we had a while to try and do that and failed and continued so to do later missing chances you'd hope a decent striker would score ... but we had little in the way of flair in the team what with the four-five central midfielders in the team who all seemed to swarm around and do little productive - no one ran into the space that existed - our fullbacks were actually played quite well by Motherwell - the other teams now know they exist so we will likely find that harder going forward (the players certainly will as they'll get bumped and jostled - they might get more protection than they did on Saturday McKenzie was booked whilst being actively fouled as far as I could see but I wouldn't count on it). We leak stupid goals that organised defences tend not to. Our attacking flair is non existent - other than that we're doing grand. As we drift down the league teams will attack us more rather than sitting in - it might give us more chances on the break but equally it'll put our defence under more pressure and that cannot be a good thing. 

I do miss Andy - he's slow and gives away stupid fouls at times but he always tries, generally is where he should be (if there is enough time for him to get there) and knows how to score. We should be trying to do better but we are failing to clear that bar however low you may feel it is set.

51 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

1) Sacking McInnes was always right because we were shit, and couldn't score.

2) It might not be Glass who's the man to take us forward, could be the guy after him. 

3) Wait and see, I suggest. McInnes deserved the boot, though. 

1) Correct, it was, no question

2) He never was & never will be

3) And he absolutely did, at least 12 months prior 

• Upvote 1