Welcome back Stephen Glass

18 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

Dinna recall TBH.

You mean folk on here?

I think he means me. I said before the match it was an ideal chance to rest Brown and Ramsay as both need to be managed carefully at differing ends of the age spectrum. And wouldn't have been averse to giving Woods some match practice. As it turns out.......Glass agreed with me on the first 2 and not @aberdeen1970

But I certainly wasn't advocating 7 changes as what actually occurred. 

11 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I think he means me. I said before the match it was an ideal chance to rest Brown and Ramsay as both need to be managed carefully at differing ends of the age spectrum. And wouldn't have been averse to giving Woods some match practice. As it turns out.......Glass agreed with me on the first 2 and not @aberdeen1970

But I certainly wasn't advocating 7 changes as what actually occurred. 

Wasn't picking on anyone TC.  Certainly not you. 

My general point was that Glass is collecting a lot of excuses on his behalf from folk.  He's been in charge 6 months and has to be accountable for defeats. 

The mood today seems to be that we should just relax and everything will be OK once Glass has had a chance to build his own team in a time period that suits their argument. 

Is anything actually that much different from McInnes regime?

We had an imbalanced squad under him due to his love of central midfielders and now it’s even worse.

We had an inability to score goals under him and we pretty much still do.

We signed lots of players on loan under him most of whom turned out to be useless, and it seems we still are.

we had players constantly played out of position under him, and we still do - is Ojo, McCrorie.

We are still signing the exact same type of players McInnes would’ve signed - if he’d still been here we’d probably still have signed Gallagher, Bates, Watkins…

We still play generally boring football.

I guess there are signs that a couple of youngsters are being given a proper chance, but McInnes did play the likes of Campbell a fair bit and may have given Ramsay and MacKenzie a chance this season.

I 100% agreed it was time for McInnes to go (should’ve been a season or two sooner) but what we’re getting now isn’t THAT much different is it?

52 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Is anything actually that much different from McInnes regime?

We had an imbalanced squad under him due to his love of central midfielders and now it’s even worse.

We had an inability to score goals under him and we pretty much still do.

We signed lots of players on loan under him most of whom turned out to be useless, and it seems we still are.

we had players constantly played out of position under him, and we still do - is Ojo, McCrorie.

We are still signing the exact same type of players McInnes would’ve signed - if he’d still been here we’d probably still have signed Gallagher, Bates, Watkins…

We still play generally boring football.

I guess there are signs that a couple of youngsters are being given a proper chance, but McInnes did play the likes of Campbell a fair bit and may have given Ramsay and MacKenzie a chance this season.

I 100% agreed it was time for McInnes to go (should’ve been a season or two sooner) but what we’re getting now isn’t THAT much different is it?

Saved me the effort typing all that.

Maybe I know nothing about football. I'm not seeing some major improvement in attack compared to McInnes in general (not the outrageously bad end). It's not striking me as progressive fast flowing exciting stuff whatsoever.

The only thing 'wrong' about sacking McInnes is the time it took to get round to doing it. He should have been gone two season earlier.

A new manager is always a gamble, but whether that new manager is good, bad, or indifferent has zero bearing on whether or not the previous manager needed to be sacked. 

The suspicion was that Glass was going to be bad, because he has no experience of any note. He's literally learning to job as he goes along. 

His appointment was a jobs for the boys exercise, and we look like paying for it, at least in the short term... but unless we're struggling to stave off relegation by New Year we should probably call the season a write off and give him the rest of the season to show improvement. Maybe he's a fast learner. 

The only thing of note we ever do is get a brief European foray, anyway.  It's not like Glass is going to do much worse than cunts like Brown or McGhee, and they were allegedly 'experienced' managers. 

We figured Glass' appointment would be a clusterfuck, and so far we're right on target to meet that prediction. 

But he might get better. 

And he might not. 

Only way we'll find out is by giving him a bit of time. 

• Upvote 2
26 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

We're not even a quarter way through this season, we've more or less had a total squad overhaul, in terms of personnel, coaching staff and the style of play. 

It's impossible that it would all change at the snap of a finger. There was always going to be turbulence with a new manager and new ideas, with new players as well. 

The League Cup defeat is something he'll learn from, understanding that you can't rest players away from home against semi decent opposition in cup ties in Scotland. 

The Qarabag was always going to be tough, but made to look infinitely worse by his decision to rest players against Raith. 

McInnes was here for 8 years, and probably outstayed his welcome by about 2. Glass has only been here 6 months, and only had one window to rectify some really brutal transfer mistakes by his predecessor. 

The criticism going his way regarding selection, inability to adapt the style to suit certain games, is totally justified. What isn't justified is howling about him getting the dunt only 6 months in to his managerial reign, with a shitshow left behind for him. 

He should be given a seasons grace. At the end of the season we weigh it up and see if it's steadily improving, and see if he has the metal to be the dons manager. 

For now, everyone should calm their tits, give criticism when deserved and necessary, but we can't be asking for the sack just yet. 

We're a few tweaks away from being a pretty decent side IMO. 

Starting with moving McCrorie out of centre half and stopping this Ojo experiment. 

Only thing I would question is why, bearing in mind the standard of league an investment we've made, is it not a case that Glass could have hit the ground running? He's been well supported, the problem is the players he's brought in haven't been any good or are not playing as good as he talked them up to be? 

The original poster was right in some respect, we were told that the change was to give us attacking free flowing football. We're not as horrendous on the eye anymore, because we go from side to side, but it's still boring as fuck to watch. Think someone said we created 20 chances but it felt like the ross county game, where they created the best chances, we're just plodding along never really looking like we're ever going to score. 

On 9/12/2021 at 10:10 AM, Millertime said:

I was waiting for someone to say this

The only way sacking mcinnes was right, was if someone could better his record 

They have to do better than 2nd/3rd mostly, 4th very occasionally

Do you think glass can do that?

Love how you try to word McInnes’s record to seem more favorable by saying mostly 2nd/3rd with very occasionally 4th ?

could just as easily say mostly 3rd/4th with very occasionally 2nd  yet in half of that time he had at least the second biggest budget.

half of his finishes had Motherwell (twice) Killie & Hibs finishing above us

3x2nd place

2x3rd place

3x4th place (& heading further downwards for sure if continued)

Glass has a far bigger challenge in front of him than ANY single one of the seasons McInnes had. As he has far bigger budgets average to compete with.

That said, I still expect that any Aberdeen manager should be expected to finish 3rd at worst but aim for better as aiming for 3rd is just defeatist 

7 hours ago, Crossbow said:

Our defence is shit. We will win nothing and be nothing until that is sorted. We are out of two cups and lucky to be in the middle of the table because our defence is shit. If the Livingston keeper could hold a ball we’d be in the bottom half and really that’s where we are performing at present. Can’t defend, can’t create. Can pass horizontally in the middle of the park. The St Mirren game will be interesting. Lose that and we will be well in the relegation lineup. Did I say our defence is shit. We can have Hedges back with Watkins and score the odd goal but unless they’ve turned into Pele and Messi we will still lose. I hope Bates is great and being a loan player in bottom hugging Belgian side makes him capable but there’s a lot to fix. We have a gaping wound in the centre of defence. 

Yeah, Motherwell basically scored at will going by their attacking stats%

They scored, stopped  us scoring & scored again when the fancied another roam up the pitch.

Even if we do take a lead against teams, all it does is spark them into action & our defence simply cannot hold teams off when they are coming at us. The defence really is that shite & poorly organised. 

3rd biggest budget so 3rd place is MINIMAL expected league finish. Anything less is failure in league. Aim for better though.

The arse cheeks have similar budgets to each other  & their aims are 1st place & anything less is failure.

Cups are cups & all top flight clubs should be seeing not winning one/both as failure as that is the beauty of cups. 

McInnes averaged a 3rd place finish in total, whilst probably overall averaging the 3rd biggest budget, as he had 2nd biggest for a few years but never less than 3rd biggest.

He blatantly was a very average (at best) manager but because Aberdeen were so shite prior to his arrival, the majority were happy with his average. Some even heap vast amounts OTT praise on his ‘achievements’ 

Over his career at other teams he is far from average, so in fact Aberdeen boosted his profile simply by being a better than average club/budget.

Glass could turn out to be worse than McInnes indeed & for him to do that he only has to be below average in terms of quality. 
Doesn’t look good for Glass in first 6 months though, as I am struggling to justify rating him as even an average manager when watching the shambles of a defence he has gone with, among other things.

He’s also getting the support from many of those same supporters that were happy enough with average shite under McInnes though & this is one of the reasons the board will feel little to no pressure to make changes when needed.

Mcinnes should never have gotten as many as 8 fkn years at Aberdeen but fans & club being content at average essentially cemented his place at club far longer than he should have.

early signs are that Glass should be very fkn fortunate to see a second season 

3 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

All of what you say in the second paragraph is true, but the reasons for that are in the first paragraph. 

As you rightly say, he's been backed extensively. That's also a reason why it's been such a middling start. The squad overhaul is massive, he clearly has ideas he wants to go ahead with, and ones that could be fruitful, but it's not happening overnight, it almost never does. 

Everywhere in world football, any decent side, in any league, normally has a core squad of players that have been around and played together for years. We, generally speaking, don't have that right now. Very rarely after a club makes 10 signings for the first team, do they then turn everyone over the next season. 

We can definitely ask for/should expect better than what's been given so far, and if the same trends are continuing in 9 months or so when the season ends, I'm sure stock will be taken and the situation will be evaluated. There's a reason the contract is rolling, it's somewhat of a gamble. 

The rolling contract does indeed very much point to Glass being ‘a gamble’ but Aberdeen shouldn’t be that type of club. Aberdeen should be able to attract managers that are not ‘gambles’

If Glass fails then it is 100% on Cormack, as he clearly shoehorned HIS man in & my fear is that Cormack will essentially do a Milne & stick with his man (even if nothing special) because his ego will not allow him to be seen as a failure.

Haven’t fully written off Glass yet but so far I am far from impressed with his ‘vast experience’ 

4 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

The rolling contract does indeed very much point to Glass being ‘a gamble’ but Aberdeen shouldn’t be that type of club. Aberdeen should be able to attract managers that are not ‘gambles’

If Glass fails then it is 100% on Cormack, as he clearly shoehorned HIS man in & my fear is that Cormack will essentially do a Milne & stick with his man (even if nothing special) because his ego will not allow him to be seen as a failure.

Haven’t fully written off Glass yet but so far I am far from impressed with his ‘vast experience’ 

Cormack has his vision for the club pulling him in one direction, and his hubris pulling him in the other.  You get nowhere when you're not focused. 

I've been against Glass from the first time his name was mentioned, I thought, in jest...  not because there's anything I don't like about him, but because he'd done nothing as a manager, and he'd done nothing as a manager for a very short period of time. We're not a job training scheme, we're a fucking football club... and a pretty big one in terms of Scotland. 

Now... having said THAT... I'd rather have a rookie like Glass than an 'experienced' coach like Yogi. 

Write the season off and see what happens, we were winning fuck all anyway, if our track record is any metric. 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Cormack has his vision for the club pulling him in one direction, and his hubris pulling him in the other.  You get nowhere when you're not focused. 

I've been against Glass from the first time his name was mentioned, I thought, in jest...  not because there's anything I don't like about him, but because he'd done nothing as a manager, and he'd done nothing as a manager for a very short period of time. We're not a job training scheme, we're a fucking football club... and a pretty big one in terms of Scotland. 

Now... having said THAT... I'd rather have a rookie like Glass than an 'experienced' coach like Yogi. 

Write the season off and see what happens, we were winning fuck all anyway, if our track record is any metric. 

I kind of wrote off winning but I thought we were going to be exciting to watch, scoring goals, winning or losing 4-3. 

It just feels like we all know the issue, playing 5 centre mids, 4-3-3 meaning ramirez is isolated, fullbacks being run into the ground...but surely someone in the inflated coaching team has seen this and yet we came out at motherwell and I feel glass bottled the big changes, which was really disappointing. Bates should have started for one and 3 of the centre mids needed dropped.

6 minutes ago, RUL said:

I kind of wrote off winning but I thought we were going to be exciting to watch, scoring goals, winning or losing 4-3. 

It just feels like we all know the issue, playing 5 centre mids, 4-3-3 meaning ramirez is isolated, fullbacks being run into the ground...but surely someone in the inflated coaching team has seen this and yet we came out at motherwell and I feel glass bottled the big changes, which was really disappointing. Bates should have started for one and 3 of the centre mids needed dropped.

I think against Motherwell, and it's early days, we showed that individually our players are a class above Motherwell's.  We dominated them on their own turf, and we had a number of chances that, had they gone in, would be placing Glass in a more positive light.  Because of this I think Glass believed we could get back into the game, and we actually might have. 

Ultimately for all our bonnie possession, we just are not playing as a team... we're playing as three very disconnected areas, Defence, Midfield, and Attack, with no obvious plan of how they all fit together. 

I'm not even going to get into how disjointed our team is, how unbalanced it is, how slow it is, how poor the middle of our defence is, and how our attack is seeing none of the ball... 

I assume Glass sees all this and will work on it going forwards. 

I assume he will. 

11 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Too many midfielders is going to kill Glass.

Chance of a decent league season will be over by the october international break if he persists with selecting five centre mids in the starting XI.

Glass gone and Brown as manager within 12 months.

Scott or Craig?

I think we as fans are suffering a bit of a hangover from the McInnes era which has continued into this season. By that I mean that the moment this team hits a sticky patch we're mostly all calling for Glass to gtf and we're shite this, shite that, we're going nowhere, Cormack is this, he's  that.

Whereas when Glass was brought in there was an acceptance that change wasn't going to happen overnight and he should be given time. Now everyone is back onto 'the end is nigh' mode.

He has another transfer window to move on players he's deemed surplus. Remember other teams have to want to take our unwanted players and the finances have to be right. These unwanted will in all likelihood have to accept wage reductions. It's not as straightforward as we'd all like it to be in transfer dealings.

This is one of the reasons why we are so bloated with central midfielders. They fully expected Ferguson to go but no-one stumped up enough cash and when a club did he allegedly turned that club down. Nobody wanted McGeoch or could afford his wages. Ojo has incriminating photos of Glass and Cormack spooning that's why he's still here. Kennedy as well obviously rejected a wage reduction to go to St. Mirren 

He's not helped himself though with the strange retention of Devlin and McGinn. Very strange considering McGinn has barely featured and Devlin is perma injured.

I'll give him the season, but it's going to be a mediocre season, we just need to accept that.

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

I think we as fans are suffering a bit of a hangover from the McInnes era which has continued into this season. By that I mean that the moment this team hits a sticky patch we're mostly all calling for Glass to gtf and we're shite this, shite that, we're going nowhere, Cormack is this, he's  that.

Whereas when Glass was brought in there was an acceptance that change wasn't going to happen overnight and he should be given time. Now everyone is back onto 'the end is nigh' mode.

He has another transfer window to move on players he's deemed surplus. Remember other teams have to want to take our unwanted players and the finances have to be right. These unwanted will in all likelihood have to accept wage reductions. It's not as straightforward as we'd all like it to be in transfer dealings.

This is one of the reasons why we are so bloated with central midfielders. They fully expected Ferguson to go but no-one stumped up enough cash and when a club did he allegedly turned that club down. Nobody wanted McGeoch or could afford his wages. Ojo has incriminating photos of Glass and Cormack spooning that's why he's still here. Kennedy as well obviously rejected a wage reduction to go to St. Mirren 

He's not helped himself though with the strange retention of Devlin and McGinn. Very strange considering McGinn has barely featured and Devlin is perma injured.

I'll give him the season, but it's going to be a mediocre season, we just need to accept that.

I don't even know if it's just a hangover from mcinnes but it has the feel of when we went shite under Calderwood and he was replaced, as we were all frustrated and we became brutal for seasons. 

I don't like predictions because football can turn so quick so I'm not going to speculate on next few games.

I just feel like the manager has spent a lot of money on wages and I feel pretty disappointed that it's only September and even with a season ticket im considering giving Saturday a miss as I can't face it. 

9 hours ago, minijc said:

That is not true, we were beyond stale with him and regressing, I have a feeling he didn't like the greater changes that Cormack wanted to implement behind the scenes with regards to the DoF and more analytical based working.  If those changes along with Glass/his staff are given time and they work, we can build a sustainable model with the new infrastructure in place we'll then be in a much better position than we ever would have been had we stuck with him.

If Glass finishes higher in the league and better in the cups it will have been the right decision

If he doesn't, it wasn't 

11 minutes ago, Millertime said:

If Glass finishes higher in the league and better in the cups it will have been the right decision

If he doesn't, it wasn't 

We'd been declining under McInnes for about 3 years.

McInnes had to go... I think even McInnes himself knew that.

How his replacement performs is irrelevant - it would have been worse if we'd just sat back an accepted the terminal decline. We had to roll the dice and try to turn things around.  Otherwise what is the point?

I still think folk are way too early to write off Glass... It's only September. I'd give him the season at least - just need to start seeing some progress.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Sonoftherock said:

We'd been declining under McInnes for about 3 years.

McInnes had to go... I think even McInnes himself knew that.

How his replacement performs is irrelevant - it would have been worse if we'd just sat back an accepted the terminal decline. We had to roll the dice and try to turn things around.  Otherwise what is the point?

I still think folk are way too early to write off Glass... It's only September. I'd give him the season at least - just need to start seeing some progress.

It's hard, very hard with our budget to get signings right season on season

More often than not, mcinnes finished 2nd or 3rd

So, that's what glass has to better

Good luck, he will need it