Welcome back Stephen Glass

4 minutes ago, Millertime said:

It's hard, very hard with our budget to get signings right season on season

More often than not, mcinnes finished 2nd or 3rd

So, that's what glass has to better

Good luck, he will need it 

Did McInnes not finish 4th for the last few seasons?  Beaten by Killie & Motherwell?  Additionally had he not been dismissed, he'd have finished 4th or 5th (or worse in his last season).  So going by your train of thought. that's what he has to beat (I don't agree with that idea)!

Most of McInnes 'success' came when Big Yogi's ICT were our main rivals - and still all he could manage was a Coca-Cola cup!  We now have the Huns, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee United back approaching full strength!  Very different times!

I just want to see progress... not stagnation or decline.  As supporters we need to see that we're building towards something. 

10 hours ago, Ke1t said:

It's genuinely worse than the Holocaust having McCrorie in defence. 

Genuinely worse by any measure. 

Agreed.

Him being there is fucking up Dons fans* shit big style.

Unlike the mild inconveniences encountered by der juden in the aforementioned event.

If i live another 75 years, I'm still going to be annoyed by Glass sticking with Ross at CB.

*salt of the earth

32 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

If you can't see Mcinnes' time was up that is on you and your acceptance for average.

If Glass doesn't finish where you want us to it's because he was the wrong replacement for Mcinnes.

Post January was shambolic, yes

But surely a lot of that is down to the fact mcinnes was due to leave at the end of the season 

Mentality obviously is affected by that either consciously or subconsciously

(Thank god the downvotes are gone for this...) but the exact same happened with rangers with walter Smith in the 10 in a row season

It was known that he was stepping down at the end of that season and it affected the team

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

Did McInnes not finish 4th for the last few seasons?  Beaten by Killie & Motherwell?  Additionally had he not been dismissed, he'd have finished 4th or 5th (or worse in his last season).  So going by your train of thought. that's what he has to beat (I don't agree with that idea)!

Most of McInnes 'success' came when Big Yogi's ICT were our main rivals - and still all he could manage was a Coca-Cola cup!  We now have the Huns, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee United back approaching full strength!  Very different times!

I just want to see progress... not stagnation or decline.  As supporters we need to see that we're building towards something. 

Thats a really lazy argument

1) "rangers" spending millions more than us were in the league and we finished above above twice (thrice even, no?)

2) hearts and hibs not being at full strength is irrelevant. Steve Clarkes killie were the ones doing well at that time. Do people of English clubs slag their manager off because Nottingham forest aren't as good anymore and in the top league as a gauge on how well their team have done!? Silly argument

3) Dundee utd - really?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Post January was shambolic, yes

But surely a lot of that is down to the fact mcinnes was due to leave at the end of the season 

Mentality obviously is affected by that either consciously or subconsciously

(Thank god the downvotes are gone for this...) but the exact same happened with rangers with walter Smith in the 10 in a row season

It was known that he was stepping down at the end of that season and it affected the team

LOL!!

Wasn't going to credit this nonsense with a reply... but how do you explain being beaten by Killie and Motherwell the two seasons previous?  Anyone with half a brain could see we were going backwards.

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Thats a really lazy argument

1) "rangers" spending millions more than us were in the league and we finished above above twice (thrice even, no?)

2) hearts and hibs not being at full strength is irrelevant. Steve Clarkes killie were the ones doing well at that time. Do people of English clubs slag their manager off because Nottingham forest aren't as good anymore and in the top league as a gauge on how well their team have done!? Silly argument

3) Dundee utd - really?

They were an absolute shambles when we finished above them, it would have been criminal to have failed to do that.  Too many people in Scottish football play the name and think what we get we should just accept, that's the case with Celtic and Rangers, everyone always thinks they are great and we are lucky to get as close as we do even though internally the actual clubs could be a shambles.

As for point 2, lol you are fucking mad and havering shite, as per.

Folk need to relax. We're in a transition period and probably a good few results at the start of this season has been his downfall, as expectation levels were raised. We have a new group of players, coaching staff etc and on the whole the team is playing a much better brand of football, whilst being a bit soft at the back. Theres going to be ups and downs this season for every club, nobody will find it easy going away from home in this league. 

Judge him at end of the season IMO, and see where we finish up. Being out the league cup has definitely been his biggest mistake and hopefully will learn from it. Third place(or Scottish cup winners) this season guarantees group stage European football next season and that for me is really important to get over the Edinburgh clubs for financial reasons. 

He probably hasn't really worked out his best team yet and I feel were attacking enough that goals will come. Hedges and Samuels hopefully back soon will add some much needed pace. Very tough October coming up and were going to be tested massively.

6 minutes ago, GDON21 said:

Folk need to relax. We're in a transition period and probably a good few results at the start of this season has been his downfall, as expectation levels were raised. We have a new group of players, coaching staff etc and on the whole the team is playing a much better brand of football, whilst being a bit soft at the back. Theres going to be ups and downs this season for every club, nobody will find it easy going away from home in this league. 

Judge him at end of the season IMO, and see where we finish up. Being out the league cup has definitely been his biggest mistake and hopefully will learn from it. Third place(or Scottish cup winners) this season guarantees group stage European football next season and that for me is really important to get over the Edinburgh clubs for financial reasons. 

He probably hasn't really worked out his best team yet and I feel were attacking enough that goals will come. Hedges and Samuels hopefully back soon will add some much needed pace. Very tough October coming up and were going to be tested massively.

Do agree with you mate... but two things really worry me: (1) our squad is ridiculously imbalanced.  Why do we have so many central midfielder and why weren't a few moved on, or sent on loan? Does Glass think we need that many?  (2) We look a real soft touch at the back... at worst, McRorie and Gallagher have been bombscares!

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, GDON21 said:

Good post but I'm not convinced by the bit in bold.  Saturday was as bad as anything McInnes served up.  Hacken home game apart we've not been great

The squad is incredibly bloated. Players like McGinn, Kennedy and McGeouch who must be hoovering up £7-9k per week between them aren't even making the squad. I know we've sold a few players recently but this seems reckless.  To be fair to Glass in the case of the latter two I guess someone needs to want the latter two before they will be moved on.

Whilst I think there are a number of areas where time is required - we have a lot of new players and they will take a while to gel so some dislocation can be anticipated - the management don't have a get out of jail free card either - their solutions to the problems they had time to view at the end of last season are not inspiring and in some cases not sensible - why have we brought in more central midfielders? why have we brought in an Atlanta reject for right back? why did we think we could get away with a makeshift central defence? Did we really think only one striker ( a benchwarmer for the last couple of years) was enough? Glass is a qualified coach and no doubt knows lots about team building, tactics and training so whilst he might be a new manager he can't be immunised completely for blame for the current shambles and he'd earn more respect from me if he fessed up to what everyone else can see are odd choices... we're stuck with our current squad and October looks quite alarming - if we're not iin the bottom six by the end of it I will be very pleased (and very pleasantly surprised). 4 points off the next couple of games would really help.

16 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Love how you try to word McInnes’s record to seem more favorable by saying mostly 2nd/3rd with very occasionally 4th ?

could just as easily say mostly 3rd/4th with very occasionally 2nd  yet in half of that time he had at least the second biggest budget.

half of his finishes had Motherwell (twice) Killie & Hibs finishing above us

3x2nd place

2x3rd place

3x4th place (& heading further downwards for sure if continued)

Glass has a far bigger challenge in front of him than ANY single one of the seasons McInnes had. As he has far bigger budgets average to compete with.

That said, I still expect that any Aberdeen manager should be expected to finish 3rd at worst but aim for better as aiming for 3rd is just defeatist 

McInnes finished 2nd place 4 seasons in a row. Twice while the huns were there. His time was up, but I dont get why everyone is suddenly trying to make out he came in and was shocking the whole time. We came up against some good sides in the early days too. Motherwell, Inverness and Dundee United had far stronger teams at the start of his reign than Hearts and Hibs have now. 

Either way its history. I dont think Glass has been handed a massive task personally. Inherited a team 4th in the league and given a very good budget to improve them. The deadwood up front and in central defense were all out of contract so he could bring people in.... was handed the reigns well in advance of summer so had plenty of time. He probably could have done with shifting a centre mid or two but instead just signed 2 more. And I dont know if you have noticed fnd..... but I reckon he should have paid attention to the centre of defense.

He will get time and hopefully it comes good, but the squad looks ridiculous.

10 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

I dont get this. Just because of the name of the team, we now look back on them as if they were pish.

You are talking about an Inverness team with Ryan Christie, Graeme Shinnie and the messiah Marley Watkins. Other guys in great form around then like Meekings, Tansey & Doran too. Scottish Cup winners, knocking out Celtic along the way. 

And Dundee United aren't getting back to the strength they had with Armstrong, GMS, Russell, Gauld, Robertson, Daley. 

The teams below Celtic were far strong around 2012-2015 than they are now. Quite clearly including us

McInnes absolutely  had to go.

The decline was ongoing, and had been for around 3 years.

By the start of this year it had begun spiraling and accelerating way out of control.

Hi last 13 league games he was:

W 2

D 5

L 6

Pts 11

Multiply that by 3 for an entire season =

Pts 33

Last season Hamilton finished rock bottom with 30 pts.

If he was allowed to boss us this season and continued in the same vein, then we are relegated.

Or avoiding relegation via a play off at best.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

McInnes absolutely  had to go.

The decline was ongoing, and had been for around 3 years.

By the start of this year it had begun spiraling and accelerating way out of control.

100,000,000% he had to go. He was finished.

I just dont understand people now putting down the achievements of Aberdeen around 2014-2018. Making excuses for why we were doing well. 

For a couple of seasons that team had us all believing we could challenge for the title. A lot of people consider the first season of our decline to be the one after the Scottish Cup final..... we finished 2nd and only 9 points behind Celtic that season. 

We were a good team. Why sit and make excuses for us doing well. We could have achieved more, unfortunately didn't. But good luck waiting for another Aberdeen team that finishes top 3 five seasons in a row. There's no trophy for it, but when did we last do that pre McInnes? Before McInnes our last couple of top 3's were 2007 and 1995 so lets not pretend we are always doing it.

We are shite

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Not sure I agree with that. Dominated the ball plenty which is more than what McInnes teams were doing towards the end.

Not really looking like scoring though, much like McInnes' later teams.

Dominating the ball is pretty pointless when all we do is pass it back and fore across the pitch.  Needs to ditch the 4 or 5 central midfielders every game and try and inject some width into our play.  Stick Hayes in for Ojo and hopefully Hedges be back soon as well.

12 minutes ago, Kincardine_Mearns_Red said:

Another thought is what the fuck are they teaching them at Cormack Park? Nice new state of the art training facilities that other clubs would kill for yet our football tactics are more Albion Rovers than Ajax Amsterdam.

The beginning of our decline can almost be pinpointed to us moving into Cormack Park.

4 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

LOL!!

Wasn't going to credit this nonsense with a reply... but how do you explain being beaten by Killie and Motherwell the two seasons previous?  Anyone with half a brain could see we were going backwards.

Erm, because killie and Motherwell were good and as a result, we're in the top league and hibs and hearts weren't?

Surely that's obvious?

The budget thing is a bit of a red herring, as I've explained before

Like it or not, players need to be paid more to live in Aberdeen over Glasgow or Edinburgh

We aren't fishing in a better pool of players due to the slightly higher salaries, its because we need to pay them more 

4 hours ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Misleading post. 

It's largely accepted the league this season is stronger than its been in a long time. McInnes only finished 3rd once, behind Motherwell in second. 

There were two times we finished 2nd with Rangers in the league, when their star players were guys like Jason Holt, Windass, Sean Goss and Andy Halliday... 

The other second places were very much in alignment with our budget in comparison to everyone else bar Celtic. 

The last two seasons we've finished 4th behind teams we outspend, and throughout all of this we've failed to win a cup in 7 years, whilst clubs like St J have hoovered up 3 in that time. 

McInnes had to go. He'd ran out of ideas, he looked burnt out, and even he accepted that he had to leave at the end of the season. 

It remains to be seen if Glass is the right appointment but bleating on about DmC is stupid and pointless. 

You can't do that though, cherry picking excuses

Facts are facts

I'm sure there's a reason as to why some teams win cups - the reasons why aren't important, winning it is

Just like us finishing ahead of "rangers" twice when we had absolutely no right to

41 minutes ago, NEM said:

Not really looking like scoring though, much like McInnes' later teams.

Dominating the ball is pretty pointless when all we do is pass it back and fore across the pitch.  Needs to ditch the 4 or 5 central midfielders every game and try and inject some width into our play.  Stick Hayes in for Ojo and hopefully Hedges be back soon as well.

Had a good few chances. 

It was shit but comparing it to when we went 10 games without scoring is a bit far IMO.

2 hours ago, GDON21 said:

I dont agree with that at all

"Much better football" - really?

Hacken aside,  we haven't

And to be fair, we looked like the harlem globetrotters under McInnes in early euro games too 

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I dont get this. Just because of the name of the team, we now look back on them as if they were pish.

You are talking about an Inverness team with Ryan Christie, Graeme Shinnie and the messiah Marley Watkins. Other guys in great form around then like Meekings, Tansey & Doran too. Scottish Cup winners, knocking out Celtic along the way. 

And Dundee United aren't getting back to the strength they had with Armstrong, GMS, Russell, Gauld, Robertson, Daley. 

The teams below Celtic were far strong around 2012-2015 than they are now. Quite clearly including us

BOOM

1 hour ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Should also caveat that he done well to finish where expected- as many clubs don't. 

Harking back to the previous management team because we aren't looking great at the minute is nonsensical though. By the end we all wanted him gone. 

Thats the point, on average mcinnes finished where we were supposed to, probably slightly exceeding it when you look at the averages 

Twice 4 times, so over expectation and a few times 4th, under expectation

Levels out

Getting a manager to do what we should do is bloody hard, but we had one