Welcome back Stephen Glass

2 hours ago, GDON21 said:

Folk need to relax. We're in a transition period and probably a good few results at the start of this season has been his downfall, as expectation levels were raised. We have a new group of players, coaching staff etc and on the whole the team is playing a much better brand of football, whilst being a bit soft at the back. Theres going to be ups and downs this season for every club, nobody will find it easy going away from home in this league. 

Judge him at end of the season IMO, and see where we finish up. Being out the league cup has definitely been his biggest mistake and hopefully will learn from it. Third place(or Scottish cup winners) this season guarantees group stage European football next season and that for me is really important to get over the Edinburgh clubs for financial reasons. 

He probably hasn't really worked out his best team yet and I feel were attacking enough that goals will come. Hedges and Samuels hopefully back soon will add some much needed pace. Very tough October coming up and were going to be tested massively.

I dont agree with that at all

"Much better football" - really?

Hacken aside,  we haven't

And to be fair, we looked like the harlem globetrotters under McInnes in early euro games too 

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I dont get this. Just because of the name of the team, we now look back on them as if they were pish.

You are talking about an Inverness team with Ryan Christie, Graeme Shinnie and the messiah Marley Watkins. Other guys in great form around then like Meekings, Tansey & Doran too. Scottish Cup winners, knocking out Celtic along the way. 

And Dundee United aren't getting back to the strength they had with Armstrong, GMS, Russell, Gauld, Robertson, Daley. 

The teams below Celtic were far strong around 2012-2015 than they are now. Quite clearly including us

BOOM

1 hour ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Should also caveat that he done well to finish where expected- as many clubs don't. 

Harking back to the previous management team because we aren't looking great at the minute is nonsensical though. By the end we all wanted him gone. 

Thats the point, on average mcinnes finished where we were supposed to, probably slightly exceeding it when you look at the averages 

Twice 4 times, so over expectation and a few times 4th, under expectation

Levels out

Getting a manager to do what we should do is bloody hard, but we had one

2 minutes ago, Millertime said:

You can't do that though, cherry picking excuses

Facts are facts

I'm sure there's a reason as to why some teams win cups - the reasons why aren't important, winning it is

Just like us finishing ahead of "rangers" twice when we had absolutely no right to

Was a great achievement by McInnes. 

Not scoring for 10 games is one of the most embarrassing things in the clubs history however. Deserved to be sacked. 

1 hour ago, muttonhumper said:

McInnes absolutely  had to go.

The decline was ongoing, and had been for around 3 years.

By the start of this year it had begun spiraling and accelerating way out of control.

Hi last 13 league games he was:

W 2

D 5

L 6

Pts 11

Multiply that by 3 for an entire season =

Pts 33

Last season Hamilton finished rock bottom with 30 pts.

If he was allowed to boss us this season and continued in the same vein, then we are relegated.

Or avoiding relegation via a play off at best.

What's glasses record in the last 13 games, out of interest?

5 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Was a great achievement by McInnes. 

Not scoring for 10 games is one of the most embarrassing things in the clubs history however. Deserved to be sacked. 

Yep, amazing what happens when you lose your main striker, one of your main attacking mids to injury,  one to "rangers" and only allowed to bring in 3 last minute loans who were shockingly short of match fitness eh?

(See, I can cherry pick excuses too)

7 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Getting a manager to do what we should do is bloody hard, but we had one

We had one 2013-2018.

Then we had a different one late 2018 onwards.

Or I'll cut you some slack and allow you to concede that he simply changed his view on "what we should do", with little regard for the club (Gentlemens agreements?) and certainly no regard for the fans paying his wages.

36 minutes ago, Millertime said:

What's glasses record in the last 13 games, out of interest?

Has Glass even had 13 league games yet?

Shocking to try and compare the first 13 games of a new manager trying to overhaul a poor poor team left by the previous manager.

As I said, I was a McInnes supporter long after many had turned their back on them and eventually, even I had to concede his time was up and that he had no vision or strategy to turn it around.

At the end, his football was one of the worst to watch, i even fell asleep watching his team play in some of the lockdown matches.

2 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Has Glass even had 13 league games yet?

Shocking to try and compare the first 13 games of a new manager trying to overhaul a poor poor team left by the previous manager.

As I said, I was a McInnes supporter long after many had turned their back on them and eventually, even I had to concede his time was up and that he had no vision or strategy to turn it around.

At the end, his football was one of the worst to watch, i even fell asleep watching his team play in some of the lockdown matches.

Hardly. How many teams get a new manager bounce? Starting well is usually a good sign of whats to come.

Always mind Steve Patterson started with a 3-0 defeat at Dunfermline and as for McGhee's start.....

I'm still giving him time... just not glossing over how shite he's been so far by blaming someone else

12 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

so what's that?, 54% better than McInnes's last 13 games 

New manager. New players. Fans back. The place should be absolutely buzzing. We should be swatting away Raith Rovers, Ross County and Motherwell. We should at least be giving Qarabag a good game at home.

In the early McInnes days the fans were packing out home and away ends chanting "the sheep are on fire". Under Glass we are chanting  "the sheep are 54% better than McInnes' last 13 games"

6 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Fuck me. The amount of people that are ignoring the catalogue of glaring errors made by Glass, and trying to put it down to the process of integration. Wow. 

I understand the denial, as the truth here is fucking hard to accept and it doesn't bear thinking about. But it is what it is. 

Yes, but thats a different argument as to whether we should or shouldn't have binned McInnes.  Like arguing dont cut the hedge because the trifles on fire. 

9 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

New manager. New players. Fans back. The place should be absolutely buzzing. We should be swatting away Raith Rovers, Ross County and Motherwell. We should at least be giving Qarabag a good game at home.

In the early McInnes days the fans were packing out home and away ends chanting "the sheep are on fire". Under Glass we are chanting  "the sheep are 54% better than McInnes' last 13 games"

To be fair that's not true. We lost to celtic at home and lost to hearts at tynecastle, we beat Alloa on pens and rounded off August with a 0 0 draw in front of only 9,500 v St Johnstone. There was no "bounce" and no indication of the good season ahead. 

2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I dont get this. Just because of the name of the team, we now look back on them as if they were pish.

You are talking about an Inverness team with Ryan Christie, Graeme Shinnie and the messiah Marley Watkins. Other guys in great form around then like Meekings, Tansey & Doran too. Scottish Cup winners, knocking out Celtic along the way. 

And Dundee United aren't getting back to the strength they had with Armstrong, GMS, Russell, Gauld, Robertson, Daley. 

The teams below Celtic were far strong around 2012-2015 than they are now. Quite clearly including us

The wage bill has gone from £5.2m sitting regularly in 9th place in 2013 to £10m and regularly 4th place in 2021, and we were block booking training sessions on university facilities. Also had Jamie Langfield in goal.

Glass has taken in the Celtic captain, an expanded coaching team plus a DOF and head of recruitment, a striker who was on $1m a year, another striker who was on £14k a week, loans from Newcastle, Brighton and Wolves, a Scotland centre back and another high earning centre back from Hamburg, with various fees paid. 

Yet some lunatics are painting it that Glass has it harder.

We should be expecting to be a fucking fantastic team. It looks like Cormack has thrown money about with no actual idea of how it all fits together. 

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

We beat a very decent Hacken team 5-1. Last season, he was a ballhair from a win against the Tims, something McInnes hadn't came that close to in about 3 years. 

There's been fits and starts, which is what's to be expected. It's only September. 

He gave his squad the benefit of the doubt v Raith, and it showed just how average it is. 

He's trying new things, and it's simply not going to happen overnight. If we're still having this conversation in May, about leaky defences and an inability to score, the fans voices will be heard by Cormack. 

Until then, I can't understand why folk are losing their shit so hard right now. 

May? 
It’ll be a lot sooner than that for a lot.

Try end of October after we’ve played both sets of scum, Hibs & Hearts within that month.  

12 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

We beat a very decent Hacken team 5-1. Last season, he was a ballhair from a win against the Tims, something McInnes hadn't came that close to in about 3 years. 

There's been fits and starts, which is what's to be expected. It's only September. 

He gave his squad the benefit of the doubt v Raith, and it showed just how average it is. 

He's trying new things, and it's simply not going to happen overnight. If we're still having this conversation in May, about leaky defences and an inability to score, the fans voices will be heard by Cormack. 

Until then, I can't understand why folk are losing their shit so hard right now. 

That's all fair. I agree.

He needs time. At least the full season. 

I am just a bit baffled by people blaming McInnes and also making out we were only a good team because other teams, who regularly under perform, were doing crap. 

For me, the only thing stronger about the league now compared to 2014-16 sort of time is that Rangers are good. Celtic arent as strong. My own opinion, but Inverness, Motherwell & Dundee United from around then would easily beat the current Hibs, Hearts &Dundee United sides.

I will say no more cause we are all repeating ourselves. Glass has started shite but hopefully he fixes it soon. Can I suggest picking a formation and selecting players in the correct positions as a basic start. If you want to play Ojo or McCrorie then play either in centre mid and drop a central midfielder. Otherwise leave them out the team.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

May? 
It’ll be a lot sooner than that for a lot.

Try end of October after we’ve played both sets of scum, Hibs & Hearts within that month.  

October is a big month - theres tough games ahead. I’m concerned already at some of the decisions he’s making but maybe there is some plan behind it all. If by the end of October there are no obvious signs of what that plan is and we’re continuing as we have been the last few games, then I will be really worried. 

he’s brought a lot of players in and on paper guys like Gallagher, Bates, Brown, Longstaff, Ramirez, Watkins should improve the team. So far they haven’t. If they still haven’t by the end of October we’re really in trouble 

7 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I actually think we're better suited to play teams that want to play as well. Going to your Motherwell, Livingston etc etc, they'll sit deep and try counter behind the fullbacks. Celtic, Hibs, Rangers and Hearts will all have their own style of play they want to implement, and they'll try attack, the games we've had most joy in this season, generally speaking, are the ones where the opponents are looking to attack from the off against us. 

The games where we've struggled, namely Raith, Motherwell and County, they sat in and broke, which is something we're struggling with. 

To be honest, I’m dreading the games against the scum.

We cough up easy chances & soft goals against every team… can only imagine how many it could be if we defend against them like we have been against everyone else. No reason to think it’ll be any different in a few weeks time. 

Stephen Glass doesn’t appear to have the coaching ability to organise a team to defend or attack.
He’s not up to it CCB. 

I’ve almost written the season off already. 

19 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Bates, Watkins and Longstaff have literally only been in the door a week.

We've been pumped at Fir Park with even worse performances down the years, why this one is making everyone lose their shit, I don't know.  

It’s the cumulative effect maybe & folk seeing the performances & results regress.

Added to which is the understandable suspicion that many fans had that Glass wouldn’t be up to it before he was even appointed

31 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

To be honest, I’m dreading the games against the scum.

We cough up easy chances & soft goals against every team… can only imagine how many it could be if we defend against them like we have been against everyone else. No reason to think it’ll be any different in a few weeks time. 

Stephen Glass doesn’t appear to have the coaching ability to organise a team to defend or attack.
He’s not up to it CCB. 

I’ve almost written the season off already. 

It'll be different no doubt.

I'd expect we are not as open and attacking against the cheeks as we are against the rest of the league

32 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I've written off the season as one with no Silverware etc. 

We don't know if he's up to it. He's had one transfer window and lots of upheaval and deadwood etc. 

You wanted McInnes gone, you then have to give the new person at least 6 months with his own squad, ideas etc etc. 

It's been a really tough month, but people brazenly saying "he's not up to it" have no idea if he's not up to it. About 90% of the season left to play, we'll see if he's up for it in May/June. 

Just chill the fuck out. 

I’m quite “chilled”.

The overriding feeling I have is apathy. 

6 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

McInnes finished 2nd place 4 seasons in a row. Twice while the huns were there. His time was up, but I dont get why everyone is suddenly trying to make out he came in and was shocking the whole time. We came up against some good sides in the early days too. Motherwell, Inverness and Dundee United had far stronger teams at the start of his reign than Hearts and Hibs have now. 

Either way its history. I dont think Glass has been handed a massive task personally. Inherited a team 4th in the league and given a very good budget to improve them. The deadwood up front and in central defense were all out of contract so he could bring people in.... was handed the reigns well in advance of summer so had plenty of time. He probably could have done with shifting a centre mid or two but instead just signed 2 more. And I dont know if you have noticed fnd..... but I reckon he should have paid attention to the centre of defense.

He will get time and hopefully it comes good, but the squad looks ridiculous.

We finished 7th when he came in end of his first season 

we were pipped to second by Well in his first full season & then he finished 2nd THREE seasons in a row.

Then 3rd followed by THREE seasons in a row finishing 4th

https://www.transfermarkt.us/aberdeen-fc/platzierungen/verein/370

2 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

we were pipped to second by Well in his first full season & then he finished 2nd THREE seasons in a row.

The peak was in the 16/17 season, so really 4 years in decline as evidenced by our points tally, positioning and goals scored

12 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

You're at it!!!!

He took over while we were in the bottom 6, so if we finished 7th we basically won the league.

Nice website, but any real Aberdeen fan will tell you it was Aberdeen who finished 2nd in season 2017/18 with an Andy Considine goal at Celtic Park.

8 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

You're at it!!!!

He took over while we were in the bottom 6, so if we finished 7th we basically won the league.

Nice website, but any real Aberdeen fan will tell you it was Aberdeen who finished 2nd in season 2017/18 with an Andy Considine goal at Celtic Park.

That was 16/17 season ?

https://www.transfermarkt.us/glasgow-rangers/platzierungen/verein/124