Welcome back Stephen Glass

Anyways. 

Glass deserves time. I think he's recruited pretty well and we've got the basis of a strong side. We're playing some nice stuff at times, but like the last few seasons we are shocking at the back and not taking chances.  He's inexperienced and will learn as he goes, he's changed games for the better with his subs so he's tactically aware. 

With Samuels, Longstaff, Bates and Watkins only just barely in the door, all players who can improve us, we should hopefully see an improvement going forward. 

Calling for the manager to be sacked already is just hysterical nonsense. 

4 hours ago, Millertime said:

Thats the point, on average mcinnes finished where we were supposed to, probably slightly exceeding it when you look at the averages 

Twice 4 times, so over expectation and a few times 4th, under expectation

Levels out

Getting a manager to do what we should do is bloody hard, but we had one

Finishing 2nd when the hun were back in the league was a good achievement.

Finishing 2nd when they weren't wasn't overachieving, which was 3 of the 4 times wasn't it?

Just now, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

It really wasnt. 

16/17 we finished well clear of Rangers. Beat them at Ibrox after the split to pull ahead.

Otherwise go and look at the 17/18 table and remind me who finished above us in 2nd

16/17 was however our peak under McInnes.

4 years of gradual decline since, culminating with us achieving 20 points fewer (56) last year than we did in the 16/17 season (76) 

2 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

16/17 was however our peak under McInnes.

4 years of gradual decline since, culminating with us achieving 20 points fewer (56) last year than we did in the 16/17 season (76) 

Defo agree that season was the peak.

But losing McGinn, Hayes, Jack and dare I say Taylor - all first team regulars in a settled xi - and finishing the next season in 2nd, just 9 points behind Celtic, and in front of a better Rangers and very good Hibs team was hardly a shite season. 

When Killie finished 4th you hoped it was a one off poor season by us and good season from them.... but the next couple of seasons proved we were going nowhere.

Correct decision to bin him but he was a good manager for us overall. 

2 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Finishing 2nd when they weren't wasn't overachieving, which was 3 of the 4 times wasn't it?

Would you count the first year the NewCo came up and were in turmoil.

The following year 17/18 we just pipped SevCo on the last day by the 1-0 against Celtic, when they were already in party mode (73 points).

The year after, pipped by Kilmarnock on goal difference, but with a lower return on points (67 points)

The covid year, curtailed early on 45 points but on target to again see a reduction in points return

Last year, full season, only 56 points achieved.

1 minute ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Correct decision to bin him but he was a good manager for us overall. 

Thoroughly agree. He was a good manager for us and tarnished his own reputation by the results in the last few years.

The point made was that McInnes switched off / downed tools only in the last 6 months, when the reality is that was not true.

It was a tough job for him to refresh the team, but we have to expect we should have had the resources to beat Motherwell (2 seasons), Kilmarnock (1 season) and indeed Hib (last season).

He certainly benefitted in the early years without DeidCo, Hearts, Hibs and Utd to establish a base, but he lacked the ability to refresh and compete in the later years

39 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Dons fans;

We're fed up of watching the same team of bruisers play methodical football and failing to win with any style, and being boring generally.

We want a manager to come in and try play the right way, and have that be an ethos all the way through to the youth team. 

Dons fans 3 months into what they wanted; 

Why isn't it working yet!? Why can't it all work straight away? 

Come on to fuck.

Deluding yourself that this is part of the prawcess to success. It's not, it's Glass (and or Cormack) being out of his depth. 

Why does implementing transition require Jack Gurr?

Why does implementing transition require the playing of 5 centre midfielders?

Why does implementing transition require playing McCrorie in defence? 

Why does implementing transition require having a terribly unbalanced squad despite signing 13 players?

2nd x 2 with no huns - should be expected

2nd x 2 with the huns - overachieving (although the huns were a mess that first year)

4th x 3 - underachieving

Doubt we'd have finished 4th if he'd seen out his final season in charge.

He benefitted from the traditiomal 'bigger' teams missing from the league in his first few seasons, which has been pointed out countless times and ignored by his band of happy clappers.

He's a dinosaur who can only get the job done when things are loaded in his favour.

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

He benefitted from the traditiomal 'bigger' teams missing from the league in his first few seasons, which has been pointed out countless times and ignored by his band of happy clappers.

Because the traditional “bigger” teams you are talking about are shite so it makes no difference. 

Hibs weren’t missing, they got relegated ffs ?. It took them 3 years to get back up, including losing a play off to Falkirk. How often have they finished top 4 in the last 20 years? Not many. 

Hearts got relegated twice because they are shite. They were in the bottom 6 with us the season before McInnes. 

There  were stronger teams than current Hearts / Hibs around then. 

What you are saying is the same as the media refusing to accept Aberdeen challenging celtic because we are Aberdeen. 

aberdeen 2 points behind Celtic around January 2015 = meaningless

rangers 4 points behind rangers around January 2019 = red hot title challenge

23 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Deluding yourself that this is part of the prawcess to success. It's not, it's Glass (and or Cormack) being out of his depth. 

Why does implementing transition require having a terribly unbalanced squad despite signing 13 players?

Aye, pretty much my thoughts.

The team selections of late have been baffling. 

I really hope in a few months I can say I was completely wrong but suspect we’ll be looking for a new manager in 6 months or so. 

1 hour ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Performances and results regress from what? Dereks final ten? 

I'm not arguing the jury isn't out, of course it is. 

With the squad overhaul we've had to overtake, it's feasible that any manager, no matter how experienced, would've struggled to implement a new style of play and have it be immediately successful off the bat. 

There was an almost unanimous agreement amongst the support that we didn't want a run of the mill Scottish manager, or one based in Scotland. 

We've taken a punt on Glass, we can't possibly know if it's going to work, we know there are currently issues, but to be so brazen to say he isn't up to it, when, like I say, any manager with that level of transfer activity and what not, would probably struggle initially. 

Can you name me a time in world football, when a manager has made 10 first team signings in one window, that the side was immediately successful? 

I can't think of any off the top of my head, largely because it almost never happens. 

The last 10 games of mcinnes are not the yardstick 

At all

And I'm not saying that again 

7 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

But they have to be on some level? It's clear we were in regression, we've now made an attempt to arrest that and progress again. A manager is only as good as his last few results, that's football. Especially modern football. 

You're saying "why get rid of McInnes when this isn't any better" is such a stupid thing to say, for two reasons.

1.) Nobody involved with AFC can predict the future. No managerial appointment is a guaranteed success, especially in the first 3 months. 

2.) It might yet improve. 

So is it a year regardless? If at the game against St Johnstone Glass starts breaking down in tears on the sideline, puts Ramirez in goals, and forces Considine to play on crutches, do we still say give it a season? 

Whats the cut off? Do we have to play out the charade for a season regardless? Allow him to waste the January transfer window? 

It's not that the results haven't come, that's to be expected to a certain degree, but it's pretty clear  he's out of his depth, so I'm just not sure what people are hoping will happen. 

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

But they have to be on some level? It's clear we were in regression, we've now made an attempt to arrest that and progress again. A manager is only as good as his last few results, that's football. Especially modern football. 

You're saying "why get rid of McInnes when this isn't any better" is such a stupid thing to say, for two reasons.

1.) Nobody involved with AFC can predict the future. No managerial appointment is a guaranteed success, especially in the first 3 months. 

Last time I'm saying it

Because his last 6 months were spent having had his main striker sold, one of his main attackers in Wright,  sold, his other main attacker hedges injured

And he was only allowed to replace them with 3 last minute loan signings, none of whom were match fit 

I have no problem with that as he was leaving at the end of the season so wanted to leave as much maneuverability for the next guy 

But its also a firm reason as to why to assess glass against mcinnes, you simply cannot use the last few months as the yardstick 

• Haha 2
53 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Because the traditional “bigger” teams you are talking about are shite so it makes no difference. 

Hibs weren’t missing, they got relegated ffs ?. It took them 3 years to get back up, including losing a play off to Falkirk. How often have they finished top 4 in the last 20 years? Not many. 

Hearts got relegated twice because they are shite. They were in the bottom 6 with us the season before McInnes. 

What you are saying is the same as the media refusing to accept Aberdeen challenging celtic because we are Aberdeen. 

We all know that the powers that be favour the big 2 but to have 2 rangers in the same league is pushing it a bit??

1 hour ago, Ernie McCracken said:

No manager is capable of coming into this club and instantly living up to the expectations of the fans. Nobody within our budget anyway.

Wait and see is all I'm saying. 

Don't write anybody off just yet. 

Jack Gurr a howler of a signing, happens to every manager. 

Correct. For all the ones stuck in the past, their messiah Sir Alec wasted hundreds of millions on utter dung. Eye-watering money on shite with little to no return on it.

Ooft, I am enjoying your posts this evening. I feel grubby now.

Guest milne_afc
7 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Correct. For all the ones stuck in the past, their messiah Sir Alec wasted hundreds of millions on utter dung. Eye-watering money on shite with little to no return on it.

Hi.

I don’t pine after the purple patch like some of the whiters on here, but SAF(put respect on his name) wasted hundreds of millions with little to no return? I think that’s incorrect.

Peace.

1 hour ago, Millertime said:

The last 10 games of mcinnes are not the yardstick 

At all

And I'm not saying that again 

It’s not the yardstick, I agree.

As has been pointed out time and again, the regression was over 4 years to the lowest point of those last 6 months

I was a supporter of him. Said he deserved the opportunity to implement a better way. Sadly he could not do it and deserved to be sacked

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

It’s not the yardstick, I agree.

As has been pointed out time and again, the regression was over 4 years to the lowest point of those last 6 months

I was a supporter of him. Said he deserved the opportunity to implement a better way. Sadly he could not do it and deserved to be sacked

It was a gradual regression though, results wise over 4 years which is a pretty lengthy period. 

2nd to 4th over that period. 

Performances weren't pretty the last couple of years but he did try to rebuild in 2017 with the likes of GMS etc. Unfortunately the players that came in were in the main not as good as the ones that were here before. 

And then he appeared to lose heart and/or interest after the Hun job debacle after getting a new contract out of it as well. 

The gamble with Glass is that we could eventually rebuild a team that is full of young talent that goes on to match or exceed McInnes' teams 

Or

We fall off a cliff relatively quickly. 

At the moment it could easily go either way as he is completely unproven so we have no history with him to predict with any degree of certainty.  

We have to give him time but at tge same time he has to start getting results as it's been mediocre to be kind so far. 

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It was a gradual regression though, results wise over 4 years which is a pretty lengthy period. 

Performances weren't pretty the last couple of years but he did try to rebuild in 2017 with the likes of GMS etc. Unfortunately the players that came in were in the main not as good as the ones that were here before. 

And then he appeared to lose heart and/or interest after the Hun job debacle after getting a new contract out of it as well. 

The gamble with Glass is that we could eventually rebuild a team that is full of young talent that goes on to match or exceed McInnes' teams 

Or

At the moment it could easily go either way as he is completely unproven so we have no history with him to predict with any degree of certainty.  

We have to give him time but at tge same time he has to start getting results as it's been mediocre to be kind so far. 

Mediocre IS being kind

He is failing so far

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

The point was about those teams being missed from the league was not the calibration they were playing at, but the potential they could compete with us for players.

Could Hearts or Hibs competed for the likes of McLean had they been in the top league. The allure of staying in the central belt could have been a factor.

Similarly with SevCo. There was no talk of us losing our better players to them, once they were up, McLean, Shinnie, Rat, Wright and now Hedges are all being “linked” with a move there.

So those teams not in the premier league and giving the opportunity for McInnes to establish his side did make it easier for him than what Glass is facing now.

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

No disagreement and for 3 1/2 years of that regression, I supported, defended and argued he deserved time and opportunity to improve things.

The last 6 months, I moved over to the time for McInnes to be replaced camp.

6 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Or

Yes, it could go either way, but all this talk of getting rid and he’s not good enough is truly laughable. Glass needs to be given the opportunity to implement a new style we all want to watch.

I said a few games ago, that he had exceeded my expectations, which he had. The Motherwell game was a big blow along with the Ross County result, so he’s where I thought a team in transition was likely to be.

The next month is going to be tough and I’m not going to join the Glass out numpties so early in the season. The lad needs to be given more time.

3 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Yes, it could go either way, but all this talk of getting rid and he’s not good enough is truly laughable. Glass needs to be given the opportunity to implement a new style we all want to watch.

I said a few games ago, that he had exceeded my expectations, which he had. The Motherwell game was a big blow along with the Ross County result, so he’s where I thought a team in transition was likely to be.

The next month is going to be tough and I’m not going to join the Glass out numpties so early in the season. The lad needs to be given more time.

Yeah he needs time. 

But he has to buy himself time too. 

And you only really do that by getting decent results.  Time runs out pretty quickly if you don't win games very often. 

8 hours ago, Millertime said:

Yep, amazing what happens when you lose your main striker, one of your main attacking mids to injury,  one to "rangers" and only allowed to bring in 3 last minute loans who were shockingly short of match fitness eh?

(See, I can cherry pick excuses too)

Didn’t score for 10 games. No excuses can be made. 

4 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

First second place finish over the Huns was thanks to them still being in shambles & the damage Pedro done to them that Murty was in too late to rectify, second time was the impressive one imo & probably our best season & only real season that we could class as ‘overachieving’. 
All rest were either bang average/to be expected or below expectations.

This nonsense some folk spout about the likes of Caley, Well etc. being just as good as the likes of Hib,Hearts,Huns & even Utd (to an extent) when they were absent all those seasons is just BS, as that was three teams with budgets either bigger, or close to our level under normal circumstances that were missing from the league.

The attempts to glamorise McInnes’s tenure during such a piss easy period is quite pathetic. As over the piece McInnes only really performed bang average really & that is being overly generous when you consider his 3 shitey 4th place finishes.

The fact we were so shite prior to McInnes also makes his achievements seem far better than what we got used to but he done fk all more than the minimal we as a club should expect in reality.

His overall record in management is nothing better than blatantly average & even his only other time where he was classed as doing well was one season at St Johnstone where he also had one of the biggest budgets compared to his competitors & earned them promotion to big league. That got him his move to BC where he fkn tanked when his competitors were of a more equal level.

Only happy clappers & fans under 40 would deem McInnes anything better than bang average at best. Much akin to the melt that is Millertime raving about Jimmy Calderwood’s tenure. Which was probably actually on a par with McInnes in all honesty & I dare say JC would have achieved similar or even better than McInnes did over 8 years given same advantages & benefits