Welcome back Stephen Glass

30 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

First second place finish over the Huns was thanks to them still being in shambles & the damage Pedro done to them that Murty was in too late to rectify, second time was the impressive one imo & probably our best season & only real season that we could class as ‘overachieving’. 
All rest were either bang average/to be expected or below expectations.

This nonsense some folk spout about the likes of Caley, Well etc. being just as good as the likes of Hib,Hearts,Huns & even Utd (to an extent) when they were absent all those seasons is just BS, as that was three teams with budgets either bigger, or close to our level under normal circumstances that were missing from the league.

Ah so now you are an expert on why we finished where we did, even though you had to use an inaccurate website earlier ???

Finished on 76 points in 2016 and scored 74 goals in 38 games. Absolutely battered Motherwell 7-2, partick 7-0, Dundee 7-0, Kilmarnock 5-0. Completely unimpressive though and only cause rangers were crap.

seriously what are you thinking Glass is going to achieve if that is bang average?

hearts and hibs weren’t “missing”. They got relegated by being the 2 worst teams out of 12. 

Hearts came back a year later and were actually decent enough that season. Then quickly turned shite again. Despite their strong budget. 

big budget hibs took 3 years to get back up. 

but it is Aberdeen who were bang average.

1996 and 2007 are the only top 3 appearances I’ve seen us achieve out with McInnes and I’ve been going over 25 years so you are probably right about the under 40 thing. But I’m afraid if you think we are going to go back to winning the league and European titles you should probably just give up and stop stressing cause it’s not going to happen.

can guarantee you enjoyed those first 4 seasons… if you didn’t I don’t know why you bother. you’re surely just looking back with bitterness cause it ended so pish

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Ah so now you are an expert on why we finished where we did, even though you had to use an inaccurate website earlier ???

Finished on 76 points in 2016 and scored 74 goals in 38 games. Absolutely battered Motherwell 7-2, partick 7-0, Dundee 7-0, Kilmarnock 5-0. Completely unimpressive though and only cause rangers were crap.

seriously what are you thinking Glass is going to achieve if that is bang average?

hearts and hibs weren’t “missing”. They got relegated by being the 2 worst teams out of 12. 

Hearts came back a year later and were actually decent enough that season. Then quickly turned shite again. Despite their strong budget. 

1996 and 2007 are the only top 3 appearances I’ve seen us achieve out with McInnes and I’ve been going over 25 years so you are probably right about the under 40 thing. But I’m afraid if you think we are going to go back to winning the league and European titles you should probably just give up and stop stressing cause it’s not going to happen.

can guarantee you enjoyed those first 4 seasons… if you didn’t I don’t know why you bother. you’re surely just looking back with bitterness cause it ended so pish

Aye. The 2015-17 team were a good side.  It's pretty mean spirited to suggest otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Your stamina for this is incredible 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Make all the excuses you want but facts are facts, McInnes was no better than bang average & latterly was below that. He had ONE season where you could say he performed slightly above BANG AVERAGE but most (even really shite) managers mange that now & again. 

ooooh whooopie we had a couple of high scoring games in his 8 fkn seasons ? ffs do you actually hear yourself & the desperation to argue McInnes was anything better than a bang average manager? 

as said. Just because we had nothing but shite managers for most part prior to McInnes, that doesn’t make him a fkn better manager than he actually was. At best all it does is prove just how SHITE all the previous were under fkn Milne.

I don’t expect us to win the league. Especially whilst the arse cheeks have it sewn up from all angles but I expect us to finish ‘best of rest’ as minimal expectations but aiming for better. Our budget dictates that at very least, so that is what any manager should be expected to achieve at Aberdeen but a GOOD manager would never settle for even that sentiment & would certainly have us challenging for title at some point. Capitalise on the arse cheeks drawing all/most games v each other as long as we are good enough to match their results against the rest (not expecting too much that) & treat games v them as cup finals. That is something McInnes rarely had us doing mentally. Even in ACTUAL fkn cup finals.

12 hours ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

If he was allowed to boss us this season and continued in the same vein, then we are relegated.

Or avoiding relegation via a play off at best

In the same vein being gathering the points in the manner described beforehand ie 11 points every 13 games. That absolutely has us either relegated or in play-off territory.

This was obvious. and what I relayed was clear and reasonable.

Hence my rather agitated reply to it being described as "hysterical".

That type of low brow,  repetitive, unthinking and childish manner of response on here by some that gets on one's tits.

I really should refrain from rising to the bait.

Though sometimes it is a bit tough to differentiate between bait and stupidity or ignorance.

13 hours ago, milne_afc said:

Hi.

I don’t pine after the purple patch like some of the whiters on here, but SAF(put respect on his name) wasted hundreds of millions with little to no return? I think that’s incorrect.

Peace.

It should read “little to no return on them” as in players that were signed for millions, did fuck all and were subsequently binned for little to no return financially.

16 hours ago, Ernie McCracken said:

So is it a year regardless? If at the game against St Johnstone Glass starts breaking down in tears on the sideline, puts Ramirez in goals, and forces Considine to play on crutches, do we still say give it a season? 

Whats the cut off? Do we have to play out the charade for a season regardless? Allow him to waste the January transfer window? 

It's not that the results haven't come, that's to be expected to a certain degree, but it's pretty clear  he's out of his depth, so I'm just not sure what people are hoping will happen. 

Come on now. You're being silly. 

21 hours ago, SDY said:

The wage bill has gone from £5.2m sitting regularly in 9th place in 2013 to £10m and regularly 4th place in 2021, and we were block booking training sessions on university facilities. Also had Jamie Langfield in goal.

Glass has taken in the Celtic captain, an expanded coaching team plus a DOF and head of recruitment, a striker who was on $1m a year, another striker who was on £14k a week, loans from Newcastle, Brighton and Wolves, a Scotland centre back and another high earning centre back from Hamburg, with various fees paid. 

Yet some lunatics are painting it that Glass has it harder.

We should be expecting to be a fucking fantastic team. It looks like Cormack has thrown money about with no actual idea of how it all fits together. 

Well he has the wrong man in as manager for a start that is becoming clearer with every passing debacle. Crazy from Cormack shooting yourself in the foot when there is no need to.

• Upvote 1

McInnes time had run it's  course. We needed a change but Glass wasn't the answer. Why go for a guy managing an American B team (badly)? Because he's an ex Aberdeen player? Shocking decision and one that will hold us back. He's been backed heavily but we're already behind our main rivals. A fucking honking start and we still have to play Celtic at home then Hibs and Rangers away before the end of October. That was pish on Saturday. Cant even see anything that gives me a bit of hope.

58 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

How do you know he's not the answer? 

What manager has to make 10 first team signings, have a compete staff overhaul, at a new club, and is instantly successful without some dodgy results? 

Tell me a side in world football right now, thats had success after a managerial change and a huge player turnover? 

It doesn't happen like that. Not even for the huge, mega rich clubs. 

3 months in properly and 1 transfer window that only shut a week or so ago. 

Give it time. 

Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Chelsea, Leicester City. Thon German team a few years ago, Brann Bergen.

There’s been plenty. In plenty countries.

36 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Chelsea, Leicester City. Thon German team a few years ago, Brann Bergen.

There’s been plenty. In plenty countries.

Some questionable ones there to be honest

Real Madrid - Lost the title to Athletico last year. Santiago Solari and Julen Lopetegui did nothing as well

Atletico Madrid - Credible shout as Simeone won the league title for them last year, but has been their manager since 2011, where he had early success in Europe

Chelsea - Tuchel has started well and in Europe has had early success. Was it down to a massive change in personnel though? no. Mourinho, Hiddink, Lampard. Were they successful?

Leicester - Rogers has done a good job no doubt, but they had been champions a few years earlier. Have they had the massive personnel change as well? Probably not, just a few tweeks through the team. Still players there that were successful before (Vardy, Schmeichel etc) 

Still not really apples for apples to compare with Aberdeen though

• Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Some questionable ones there to be honest

Real Madrid - Lost the title to Athletico last year. Santiago Solari and Julen Lopetegui did nothing as well

Atletico Madrid - Credible shout as Simeone won the league title for them last year, but has been their manager since 2011, where he had early success in Europe

Chelsea - Tuchel has started well and in Europe has had early success. Was it down to a massive change in personnel though? no. Mourinho, Hiddink, Lampard. Were they successful?

Leicester - Rogers has done a good job no doubt, but they had been champions a few years earlier. Have they had the massive personnel change as well? Probably not, just a few tweeks through the team. Still players there that were successful before (Vardy, Schmeichel etc) 

Still not really apples for apples to compare with Aberdeen though

You are mostly looking at their current success where as I am speaking about previous successes in first seasons with new managers at various times in their history. Leicester especially stands out in Ranierie’s first season. Same of Bergen & thon German side a few years ago, Hoffinheim was it? Point being that there have been quite a few sides (in world football)  that have brought in new managers & had instant success in their first season & I am sure many were because of successful first transfer windows. It isn’t as rare & unprecedented as consi tries to make out. Hell even Liverpool under Klopp most recently. 

Folk look at Fergie at Utd & how long it took him (being such a great manager) & think that’s just about normal.

There was also a relatively new club that started back in 2012 that came right up through the leagues ‘almost’ year on year with new managers 

all moot anyway as nobody expected us to win league under Glass (especially in first year with instant success) but we do expect a certain level of success in terms of being ‘best of rest’ (ish) but we are showing to be dropping back even from the steady decline that McInnes had us on & that takes some pretty poor management considering how shite we were showing to be.

29 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

You are mostly looking at their current success where as I am speaking about previous successes in first seasons with new managers at various times in their history. Leicester especially stands out in Ranierie’s first season. Same of Bergen & thon German side a few years ago, Hoffinheim was it? Point being that there have been quite a few sides (in world football)  that have brought in new managers & had instant success in their first season & I am sure many were because of successful first transfer windows. It isn’t as rare & unprecedented as consi tries to make out. Hell even Liverpool under Klopp most recently. 

Folk look at Fergie at Utd & how long it took him (being such a great manager) & think that’s just about normal.

There was also a relatively new club that started back in 2012 that came right up through the leagues ‘almost’ year on year with new managers 

all moot anyway as nobody expected us to win league under Glass (especially in first year with instant success) but we do expect a certain level of success in terms of being ‘best of rest’ (ish) but we are showing to be dropping back even from the steady decline that McInnes had us on & that takes some pretty poor management considering how shite we were showing to be.

I think their budget being higher than the rest of the teams in the 3 divisions combined may have had a bearing on the new clubs "success"

• Upvote 4
9 minutes ago, NEM said:

I think their budget being higher than the rest of the teams in the 3 divisions combined may have had a bearing on the new clubs "success"

All relative though.

We are currently performing way below what our budget dictates we should be. That is down to new manager being inexperienced & a cheap experimental gamble.

Cormack’s ego made Glass the best man for the job & so far it looks to be a very outside bet that the gamble will pay off.

Glass is being given quite a lot of support by some fans. The ones with the patient attitude that would support any manager that came in regardless.

Those of us that are still questioning the appointment aren’t exactly having a go at Glass personally & blaming him fully. We just think that he wasn’t ‘the best man for the job’ that Cormack bullishly claims. Just that Cormack & co’s selection strategy was the weakness in all this & that is what made Glass the ‘apparent’ best man for the job, or best of all candidates, let alone the supposed four man short list they selected.

Are we really to believe that Glass was our best option from said secret list, let alone the secret four man shortlist.

Would love to know the list of those that actually applied but the reason Cormack refuses to release it is because he is scared for it to be known. 

I don’t think any other managerial applicant was made public other than Glass were they? Not even rumoured leaks of the four man shortlist.

8 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

All relative though.

We are currently performing way below what our budget dictates we should be. That is down to new manager being inexperienced & a cheap experimental gamble.

Cormack’s ego made Glass the best man for the job & so far it looks to be a very outside bet that the gamble will pay off.

Glass is being given quite a lot of support by some fans. The ones with the patient attitude that would support any manager that came in regardless.

Those of us that are still questioning the appointment aren’t exactly having a go at Glass personally & blaming him fully. We just think that he wasn’t ‘the best man for the job’ that Cormack bullishly claims. Just that Cormack & co’s selection strategy was the weakness in all this & that is what made Glass the ‘apparent’ best man for the job, or best of all candidates, let alone the supposed four man short list they selected.

Are we really to believe that Glass was our best option from said secret list, let alone the secret four man shortlist.

Would love to know the list of those that actually applied but the reason Cormack refuses to release it is because he is scared for it to be known. 

I don’t think any other managerial applicant was made public other than Glass were they? Not even rumoured leaks of the four man shortlist.

Cormack is thinks he's good at framing his questions and answers to mislead the fans. 

After the appointment, Dave had Red TV ask him why Glass was rumoured before being appointed.  Dave explained that in the month leading up to the appointment Glass had been interviewed and was on the shortlist and this had gotten out to the press. So the rumours came from Glass having been interviewed rather than any pre determinatuon by Cormack. 

But what he deliberately never addressed (presumably because he couldnt without giving the game away), was why the fuck there were rumours about Stephen Glass being the new manager whilst McInnes was still in charge!!! 

Prawcess. Aye right. 

7 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

All relative though.

Was Alex Neil not rumoured to be on it? (I may we’ll have made that up).

The other 3 must’ve been pretty awful if Glass had the best credentials of the lot. The things Cormack kept saying were that he had plenty coaching experience, would bring a different approach that was aligned with the clubs strategy, and had a track record of developing young players (was one example of someone that broke through at Atlanta that they sold for big money that he kept going on about).

13 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

The other 3 must’ve been pretty awful if Glass had the best credentials of the lot. The things Cormack kept saying were that he had plenty coaching experience, would bring a different approach that was aligned with the clubs strategy, and had a track record of developing young players (was one example of someone that broke through at Atlanta that they sold for big money that he kept going on about).

Did Alex Neil not come out and say in the press not long after he had been binned by Preston that he had no aspirations to move back to/manage a club in Scotland and this would be the case for the foreseeable future?

20 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Let’s have a wee hypothetical game

Alex Neil

Paul Lambert

Yogi Hughes

Neil McAnn

Paul Sheerin

David Hopkin

Gary Holt

Alex McLeish

Gordon Strachan

Gary Caldwell

Billy Dodds

Brian Rice

Stevie Crawford

Stuart Kettlewell

some others I vaguely remember tenuously linked

Chris Wilder

Frank Lampard

Paul Clement

Danny Cowley 

25 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Depends on the process. 

If the criteria was:

Has to be employed by Atlanta in a coaching role 

Has to have watched the Aberdeen games on red TV round at Dave's house 

Must have the initials SG

Then Glass could quite easily be in the top 3.

4 hours ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

How do you know he's not the answer? 

What manager has to make 10 first team signings, have a compete staff overhaul, at a new club, and is instantly successful without some dodgy results? 

Tell me a side in world football right now, thats had success after a managerial change and a huge player turnover? 

It doesn't happen like that. Not even for the huge, mega rich clubs. 

3 months in properly and 1 transfer window that only shut a week or so ago. 

Give it time. 

Thomas Tuchel 

Next?