Welcome back Stephen Glass

3 hours ago, Tord31 said:

The day I knew Cormack, Gunn and Glass did not know what they were doing;

The day we signed Matty Longstaff. A, presumably, very expensive player in an area of the pitch that was our absolute lowest priority.

Absolute bonkers signing.

The four players that came in; Samuels, Watkins, Longstaff and Bates - we could have been a lot more smart with our final pennies.

A penalty box striker, a winger and Bates.

I do hope Watkins, Samuels and Longstaff prove their worth though.

Couldn’t agree any more with you. What a strange signing. ANOTHER centre mid. Madness. The moment I realised we had a dud in charge. Ah well.

3 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

. Maybe he should explain it to us, tell us what the thinking is behind the "formation" and "strategy" etc because it's pretty much impossible to work it out at the moment.

But then the opposition managers would know how to set up against us. He wants to keep it a secret ,  even from our own players.  He’s a cunning fox.

3 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

He speaks Portuguese and Spanish fluently, so likely handy to have for Nuno as a translator if he doesn't understand something. But I'm also sure that the number of coaching jobs he has had (mostly head-hunted for) shows that he knows what he is doing. Not all coaches make great managers and not all managers are great coaches. The greatest manager of them all was supposedly a pretty shite coach...

Fergie seldom coached. Knox did most of it. 

The standing joke (as told by Neale Cooper) was when Fergie decided to take the pre-match warm up in Munich in 1983 - apparently it was a shambles with balls flying everywhere. Obviously Cooper exaggerated the story for comedic effect but the consensus was Fergie was not a great coach.

Great tactician, great motivator & fantastic man manager by all accounts, but bang average at coaching players and not involved too heavily on the training pitch.

As for Glass, it doesn’t look like he can organise a team to attack or defend.
Which is as bad as it gets.

4 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

He speaks Portuguese and Spanish fluently, so likely handy to have for Nuno as a translator if he doesn't understand something. But I'm also sure that the number of coaching jobs he has had (mostly head-hunted for) shows that he knows what he is doing. Not all coaches make great managers and not all managers are great coaches. The greatest manager of them all was supposedly a pretty shite coach...

Calderwood?

Celtics worst start to a season in 23 years & our new manager still manages to hang about beneath them.

They could end up with another Ronny on their hands & yet again we can’t lay a glove on them.

The longer Celtic struggle the more confidence the Edinburgh clubs will get & we shit it even more like a wee pub team.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Fergie seldom coached. Knox did most of it. 

The standing joke (as told by Neale Cooper) was when Fergie decided to take the pre-match warm up in Munich in 1983 - apparently it was a shambles with balls flying everywhere. Obviously Cooper exaggerated the story for comedic effect but the consensus was Fergie was not a great coach.

Great tactician, great motivator & fantastic man manager by all accounts, but bang average at coaching players and not involved too heavily on the training pitch.

As for Glass, it doesn’t look like he can organise a team to attack or defend.
Which is as bad as it gets.

Same with Cloughie at Forest , apparently and Martin o Neill at Celtic.

Listened to his interview with hunter. 

Was a bit strange, hunter clearly a fan but I left it unsure of glass playing style, where as before the interview I thought I understood it. 

Not a big fan of pressing, which probably wasn't a shock to anyone who has seen our pressing attempts. 

Also made clear he is not for changing, so 433 is presumably here to stay with 5 centre mids. 

Very odd interview all things considered. 

7 minutes ago, RUL said:

Listened to his interview with hunter. 

Was a bit strange, hunter clearly a fan but I left it unsure of glass playing style, where as before the interview I thought I understood it. 

Not a big fan of pressing, which probably wasn't a shock to anyone who has seen our pressing attempts. 

Also made clear he is not for changing, so 433 is presumably here to stay with 5 centre mids. 

Very odd interview all things considered. 

Got a link to the interview? Is it recent or from the summer? 

11 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

The week that Cormack and Glass went over to the States to secure the release of Jack Gurr was the first real alarm bell. 

The interview that Glass did when he tried to claim Gurr wasn’t the third choice right back at Atlanta. That was the start of Glass getting on my tits. It was a very valid question asked during a fans forum, and his response was to treat the club supporters like a bunch of thickets. He could of said something like we have a great young RB coming through the youth team so Gurr is to compete with him, or we think Gurr could be improved with coaching and fit into our system. But no, instead he implies that Gurr is way higher up the pecking order at Atlanta and we have made quite the acquisition. Did he just think we were going to forget about that when he turned out to be predictably sub standard? 

another absolutely baffling decision with no attempt made to explain why the fuck we went in this direction.

7 hours ago, thurso said:

? Aye right ok. Just asked why was he a good coach so far only been told he’s basically worked with nuno at some average teams but ok 

Think you've got a reading and understanding problem. Working at big clubs like Valencia, Spurs and Newcastle for high quality managers demonstrates he is a good coach. 

Him being a shite manager, your only evidence he isn't a good coach, doesn't make any sense. It's a completely different thing. As pointed out above loads of great managers haven't been great coaches and vice versa. 

5 hours ago, Parklife said:

Think you've got a reading and understanding problem. Working at big clubs like Valencia, Spurs and Newcastle for high quality managers demonstrates he is a good coach. 

Him being a shite manager, your only evidence he isn't a good coach, doesn't make any sense. It's a completely different thing. As pointed out above loads of great managers haven't been great coaches and vice versa. 

I think your idea of big clubs and mine are different then. 
I’d also agree a good coach doesn’t make a good manager, but a good coach should be able to go into an average team and make them better not worse just by coaching. Especially when he’s working under a director of football who is doing a lot of the management work taking pressure of you. 

22 minutes ago, thurso said:

I think your idea of big clubs and mine are different then. 

Which one of Valencia, Newcastle and Spurs isn't a big club? 

I’d also agree a good coach doesn’t make a good manager, but a good coach should be able to go into an average team and make them better not worse just by coaching. Especially when he’s working under a director of football who is doing a lot of the management work taking pressure of you. 

He might've made players better as individuals. He didn't make them better as a team though. That's more a gauge on his performance as a manager though, not a coach. You seem to be confusing these two things. 

Anyway, ill move on and I'll let you continue thinking that despite being continually employed by top managers at big clubs, Iain Cathro is actually a rubbish coach.