Welcome back Stephen Glass

Celtics worst start to a season in 23 years & our new manager still manages to hang about beneath them.

They could end up with another Ronny on their hands & yet again we can’t lay a glove on them.

The longer Celtic struggle the more confidence the Edinburgh clubs will get & we shit it even more like a wee pub team.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Fergie seldom coached. Knox did most of it. 

The standing joke (as told by Neale Cooper) was when Fergie decided to take the pre-match warm up in Munich in 1983 - apparently it was a shambles with balls flying everywhere. Obviously Cooper exaggerated the story for comedic effect but the consensus was Fergie was not a great coach.

Great tactician, great motivator & fantastic man manager by all accounts, but bang average at coaching players and not involved too heavily on the training pitch.

As for Glass, it doesn’t look like he can organise a team to attack or defend.
Which is as bad as it gets.

Same with Cloughie at Forest , apparently and Martin o Neill at Celtic.

Listened to his interview with hunter. 

Was a bit strange, hunter clearly a fan but I left it unsure of glass playing style, where as before the interview I thought I understood it. 

Not a big fan of pressing, which probably wasn't a shock to anyone who has seen our pressing attempts. 

Also made clear he is not for changing, so 433 is presumably here to stay with 5 centre mids. 

Very odd interview all things considered. 

7 minutes ago, RUL said:

Listened to his interview with hunter. 

Was a bit strange, hunter clearly a fan but I left it unsure of glass playing style, where as before the interview I thought I understood it. 

Not a big fan of pressing, which probably wasn't a shock to anyone who has seen our pressing attempts. 

Also made clear he is not for changing, so 433 is presumably here to stay with 5 centre mids. 

Very odd interview all things considered. 

Got a link to the interview? Is it recent or from the summer? 

11 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

The week that Cormack and Glass went over to the States to secure the release of Jack Gurr was the first real alarm bell. 

The interview that Glass did when he tried to claim Gurr wasn’t the third choice right back at Atlanta. That was the start of Glass getting on my tits. It was a very valid question asked during a fans forum, and his response was to treat the club supporters like a bunch of thickets. He could of said something like we have a great young RB coming through the youth team so Gurr is to compete with him, or we think Gurr could be improved with coaching and fit into our system. But no, instead he implies that Gurr is way higher up the pecking order at Atlanta and we have made quite the acquisition. Did he just think we were going to forget about that when he turned out to be predictably sub standard? 

another absolutely baffling decision with no attempt made to explain why the fuck we went in this direction.

7 hours ago, thurso said:

? Aye right ok. Just asked why was he a good coach so far only been told he’s basically worked with nuno at some average teams but ok 

Think you've got a reading and understanding problem. Working at big clubs like Valencia, Spurs and Newcastle for high quality managers demonstrates he is a good coach. 

Him being a shite manager, your only evidence he isn't a good coach, doesn't make any sense. It's a completely different thing. As pointed out above loads of great managers haven't been great coaches and vice versa. 

5 hours ago, Parklife said:

Think you've got a reading and understanding problem. Working at big clubs like Valencia, Spurs and Newcastle for high quality managers demonstrates he is a good coach. 

Him being a shite manager, your only evidence he isn't a good coach, doesn't make any sense. It's a completely different thing. As pointed out above loads of great managers haven't been great coaches and vice versa. 

I think your idea of big clubs and mine are different then. 
I’d also agree a good coach doesn’t make a good manager, but a good coach should be able to go into an average team and make them better not worse just by coaching. Especially when he’s working under a director of football who is doing a lot of the management work taking pressure of you. 

22 minutes ago, thurso said:

I think your idea of big clubs and mine are different then. 

Which one of Valencia, Newcastle and Spurs isn't a big club? 

I’d also agree a good coach doesn’t make a good manager, but a good coach should be able to go into an average team and make them better not worse just by coaching. Especially when he’s working under a director of football who is doing a lot of the management work taking pressure of you. 

He might've made players better as individuals. He didn't make them better as a team though. That's more a gauge on his performance as a manager though, not a coach. You seem to be confusing these two things. 

Anyway, ill move on and I'll let you continue thinking that despite being continually employed by top managers at big clubs, Iain Cathro is actually a rubbish coach. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Which one of Valencia, Newcastle and Spurs isn't a big club? 

He might've made players better as individuals. He didn't make them better as a team though. That's more a gauge on his performance as a manager though, not a coach. You seem to be confusing these two things. 

Anyway, ill move on and I'll let you continue thinking that despite being continually employed by top managers at big clubs, Iain Cathro is actually a rubbish coach. 

I wouldn’t rate Spurs or Newcastle as a big clubs. Valencia used to be a good team but for a while were well down in the league because of spending money they couldn’t afford meant they were in loads of debt snd could t spend any money anymore, does that make them big 

He’s been mostly employed by the guy nuno is he classed as a top manager, it’s not as if he’s been head hunted by one top manager after another to better teams over and over again. He’s gone as a back room staff member over and over again by the same guy mostly following him from team to team. 

9 minutes ago, thurso said:

I wouldn’t rate Spurs or Newcastle as a big clubs. Valencia used to be a good team but for a while were well down in the league because of spending money they couldn’t afford meant they were in loads of debt snd could t spend any money anymore, does that make them big 

So clubs that get 40k+ through the door every week aren't big clubs? 

You must think AFC are a minuscule club. 

9 minutes ago, thurso said:

He’s been mostly employed by the guy nuno is he classed as a top manager, it’s not as if he’s been head hunted by one top manager after another to better teams over and over again. He’s gone as a back room staff member over and over again by the same guy mostly following him from team to team. 

He's been employed by Nuno repeatedly and Rafa Benitez. He's also worked with and being employed by former international manager Craig Levein. 

The fact you think all these people have employed him and he continues to work at a very high level but isn't a good coach is baffling.

You're just ignoring all evidence in order to pig-headedly stick with your initial view. 

That's me done with this nonsense now 

5 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Why do you believe they are a big club?

I'm interested. 

Big fans base who turn out every week, huge turnover, historically pretty successful (although laughably unsuccessful in terms of trophies in recent times) and regularly play in the CL (a cancer on football and absolutely shite that 4 teams from certain leagues get in).

They're one of the biggest 5 or 6 clubs in the biggest and richest league in the world. 

3 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Yeah I guess this is the modern take on what makes a club a big one.

I disagree with the big fan base aspect. Infact I despise that being the benchmark on what makes a big club.

I would have completely accepted 'well historically, they did win trophies'. FA Cups and a few euro trophies (from memory), but I have the argument with pals alot, that in this day and age we seem to determine a big club by fan base. Newcastle have a big fan following, but I just don't deem them a big club.

That's just my take on matters. I accept the trophies aspect, but the rest I just don't. Qualifying for CL does not determine (IMO) a big club.

Its an interesting discussion and definitely tied to the definition of what constitutes being a big club.

From a trophy success point of view, many clubs had a history of success that they no longer achieve.

How long without success before you stop becoming a big club? 

Who's the bigger club, Man Utd or Leicester? Leicester have certainly been more successful in recent years.

That's why for me, success in tournaments can be achieved by smaller teams, but that does not constitute a definition of how big a club is.

Is St Johnstone a bigger club than Aberdeen? They've had more success than Aberdeen in recent year, indeed going by last year, they would therefore be bigger than Celtic.

The so-called bigger teams, generally have more success and generally are more successful because they have more finance and can afford better players. 

In the modern world therefore, financial terms govern how big a club is, with the finances achieved via a number of different factors.

Arsenal are a prime example of a big club that have been unsuccessful. Measured in the top 10 in the world financially, but you wouldn;t say that St Johnstone were bigger than them.

Its why we are a bigger club than Hearts and Hibs as well. Sure they have higher attendances, but the accounts show that our revenue (overall) and turnover is higher than them.

Club success and Club size are two different measures although one does influence the other

12 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Yeah I guess this is the modern take on what makes a club a big one.

I disagree with the big fan base aspect. Infact I despise that being the benchmark on what makes a big club.

I would have completely accepted 'well historically, they did win trophies'. FA Cups and a few euro trophies (from memory), but I have the argument with pals alot, that in this day and age we seem to determine a big club by fan base. Newcastle have a big fan following, but I just don't deem them a big club.

That's just my take on matters. I accept the trophies aspect, but the rest I just don't. Qualifying for CL does not determine (IMO) a big club.

Fair enough. Aye, my own take (perhaps a bit outdated in the modern footballing world) is that big clubs are ones that win things. 

I accept that what I said initially is a bit of a modern/sky sports fan take. 

To relate it back to the initial point on Cathro though, according to this link ( https://www.statista.com/statistics/1231497/revenue-of-football-clubs-in-2021/ ) they have the 9th highest turnover in world football. For Thurso to claim they employ shite coaches to coach their first team squad, doesn't seem likely to me. 

21 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Big fans base who turn out every week, huge turnover, historically pretty successful (although laughably unsuccessful in terms of trophies in recent times) and regularly play in the CL (a cancer on football and absolutely shite that 4 teams from certain leagues get in).

They're one of the biggest 5 or 6 clubs in the biggest and richest league in the world. 

38 minutes ago, Parklife said:

So clubs that get 40k+ through the door every week aren't big clubs? 

You must think AFC are a minuscule club. 

He's been employed by Nuno repeatedly and Rafa Benitez. He's also worked with and being employed by former international manager Craig Levein. 

The fact you think all these people have employed him and he continues to work at a very high level but isn't a good coach is baffling.

You're just ignoring all evidence in order to pig-headedly stick with your initial view. 

That's me done with this nonsense now 

Ok Newcastle get 40000 fans every week does not make them a big club so do Sunderland are they a big club. They have won nothing for 60 years. I’ll put Spurs in that bracket to. 

Steve mclaren who appointed Cathro not Benitez as manager when he was sacked in that season Benitez came in and kept him. He didn’t head hunt him he was already there for 6 months or so till he took over at hearts where Levien has be largely lampooned for his football career the last 10 years or so, so I’m not sure that’s a good argument either 

Spurs not a big club?

They've won a ECWC and 2 UEFA cups so have the edge on us for European history. Plus were Champions League runners up 2 seasons back. 

Newcastle have won the Fairs Cup (what the UEFA Cup was initially known as).

We like to think that we are a big club. Yet we exist on crowds that are dwarfed by what those two pull in. And play for/win prize money that they consider loose change.

12 minutes ago, thurso said:

Ok Newcastle get 40000 fans every week does not make them a big club so do Sunderland are they a big club. They have won nothing for 60 years. I’ll put Spurs in that bracket to. 

Steve mclaren who appointed Cathro not Benitez as manager when he was sacked in that season Benitez came in and kept him. He didn’t head hunt him he was already there for 6 months or so till he took over at hearts where Levien has be largely lampooned for his football career the last 10 years or so, so I’m not sure that’s a good argument either 

Steve McLaren. A good example of a very, very highly regarded coach and not that great a manager. 

Thanks for adding yet more fuel to the "Thurso is talking nonsense" fire. 

23 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Fair enough. Aye, my own take (perhaps a bit outdated in the modern footballing world) is that big clubs are ones that win things. 

I accept that what I said initially is a bit of a modern/sky sports fan take. 

To relate it back to the initial point on Cathro though, according to this link ( https://www.statista.com/statistics/1231497/revenue-of-football-clubs-in-2021/ ) they have the 9th highest turnover in world football. For Thurso to claim they employ shite coaches to coach their first team squad, doesn't seem likely to me. 

I think with that link you might of proved my point, for Spurs to have the 9th highest turnover in world football but win nothing in years and play pretty crap they must employ shite coaches to coach the first team squad