Welcome back Stephen Glass

30 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

I totally agree that performance in most sports is a balance between the technical and the mental, the mechanics and the mind where high confidence levels make the exercising of good technique easier.

When it comes to the first touch in particular though, I don't see that confidence should be that influential. This is a simple basic skill and footballers who have been identified as not being as strong in this need balls battered at them for long periods until they do improve. 

Fuck me I didn’t think I’d ever agree with one of your posts but...

If you get paid to play fitba you shouldn’t even need to think about your first touch, it should be there, instinctive.

5 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

Our passing is absolutely shocking. Most of the players can’t make a basic 10 yard pass into feet. That’s schoolboy stuff.

Going to take Glass some time on the training pitch to get that sorted before his new style of play will become more evident.

Most of them were signed✍️ by the hun manager? at The Accident and Emergency department at ARI what do you expect perfection. 

• Haha 2

I think most of us agree that the “basic skills” for being a footballer are being able to control a ball and pass to a team mate? 
Obviously there are more, but if you can’t do these two, you might as well give up.

Mentality and pressure come into it too though, and that’s what separates players.

Temperament also come into it, because If it was just a case of having the skills, these guys and girls that do these keepy uppy videos would all be world beaters.

Like Willie Thorne, cried  Mr Maximum cos he knocked in 147’s for fun in practice, but couldn’t do it when under pressure.

5 hours ago, Lencarl said:

That has been my beef for months.

They are professional Football players where the passing of the ball to team mates is essential.

This should come natural to them.

They need to give up being a footballer if they are unable to do the simple things and take up another career such as plumbing.

It has been a problem recently and there were some howlers on Saturday. Short balls played straight out the park or behind the man making the run. I think that’s symptomatic of being nervous and low in confidence, as it was much better in the last 30 mins.

I can’t comment on the first team training sessions recently re how technical and skills based they are, but I’ve seen Tony D take sessions like that before and the players looked excellent.

most of the stuff at the academy, all through the age groups is technical, which it should be, so the boys are being taught the skills. At the youngest age groups they are being brought into the academy because they have good technical ability..

Having said that, I still feel there is an onus on size, speed and physicality over technical ability for those that we see ‘graduating’ through the system, which is probably not as apparent in countries like; Holland, Spain etc..

1 hour ago, rocket_scientist said:

I would imagine these are drills every professional does every week of their lives. 

That was my point,  in response to another poster saying Glass has a lot of work to do on the training pitch. There's only so much he can do if a player struggles with basics like controlling the ball after years as a pro. 

Guest milne_afc
Just now, Millertime said:

Ridiculously early days, but so far they are right 

A mcinnes team wouldn't have lost like that 

Except they did.

Can think of cup capitulations against Motherwell x2, Hibs and Hearts. 
St Johnstone cup semi wasn’t too dissimilar even after taking a lead. So you’re talking shite, son. 

49 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Ridiculously early days, but so far they are right 

A mcinnes team wouldn't have lost like that 

Where have you been these last few months this is the team Mcinnes gave us and was in charge of all the miserable performances we’ve been put through and suffered.   Mcinnes is was a central belt patter merchant and con man. End of story.  Miller time.  

Cutting Glass any slack for that. It's a Mcinnes team stuck in the doldrums, with no pace, flair or creativity. 

Maybe could've changed it but again, it's a mcinnes team with little options. Not even convinced Ruth, Ross etc are up to it. 

Convinced we'll see a completely different team on Sunday. A lot of those arseholes won't play again. 

33 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Cutting Glass any slack for that. It's a Mcinnes team stuck in the doldrums, with no pace, flair or creativity. 

Maybe could've changed it but again, it's a mcinnes team with little options. Not even convinced Ruth, Ross etc are up to it. 

Convinced we'll see a completely different team on Sunday. A lot of those arseholes won't play again. 

Obviously can't be too harsh on Glass but it is a bit worrying.

Glass inherited a team in 4th who have qualified for Europe 7 seasons in a row and drew Dundee United in the cup. They've rocked up to Pittodrie and beat us 3-0 (could have been a lot more) with Calum Butcher in midfield

• Dildo 1
Just now, Stoneybloke said:

You mean he's going to throw in more of the young lads? It might not be a pretty sight. He hasn't exactly got a plethora of options.

He doesn't have much choice I don't think. 

Taylor might come back in. Maybe Hornby but since he didn't even get on the park at 3 nil down that's doubtful. 

I'd give some more of the young lads a free hit.  I know some folk are worried about their confidence getting a knock if we get thumped but they deserve an opportunity to show if they can do better than the senior players. They can't do much worse then yesterday and you can't send a message that guys can be completely shite and stay in the team.