Jump to content
Frank Grimes

Welcome back Stephen Glass

Recommended Posts

They've definitely spoken to Griffiths I reckon. 

The oft used phrase 'he's a Celtic player and we respect that etc etc' is football code for 'fuck off its none of your business you weegie hack' 

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

* Then removing his experience with the Atlanta sides means he's coming into the job with absolutely no experience whatsoever, so if that's supposed to be an argument in support of Glass' appointment, it actually has exactly the opposite effect. It renders him even less qualified to be Aberdeen manager. 

** Here's the thing... you don't have to be much of a manager to succeed, or at least not fail, in the Scottish game. You don't even have to be particularly bright. Obvious imbeciles like Yogi and Lennon do just fine, even though they'd clearly be more at home swinging in the trees. This is why I have any optimism at all.  Glass is clearly intelligent, even though he's not a particularly good football manager. That intelligence might well mitigate his lack of ability, particularly in a shit league like the SPFL.  That's what I'm pinning my hopes on, plus the prospect of the club spending money to support him... so long as it's money we can afford to spend. 

A large number of Aberdeen fans are obviously swayed by the fact that he doesn't speak like he spends his spare time licking windows... and that's fine. I can see how people who lack critical thinking skills (the majority of people) would be easily swayed by someone who doesn't pronounce 'situation' as 'shit-yee-ayshun', or 'obviously' as 'oab-vee-ushlay'... linguistically it's a breath of fresh air... 

Dreadful appointment, but that's not to say he can't be a success. 

Feel free to slap a dildo on this post 👍

 

 

I’m also skeptical of the appointment and not getting carried away after a few interviews, but I don’t think you can say either way if he’s a good manager or not, or make claims about his ability, simply because he’s never been a manager before. It’s a huge gamble, sometimes they pay off though, he could be a great manager 🤞

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Proud Dandy said:

I’m also skeptical of the appointment and not getting carried away after a few interviews, but I don’t think you can say either way if he’s a good manager or not, or make claims about his ability, simply because he’s never been a manager before. It’s a huge gamble, sometimes they pay off though, he could be a great manager 🤞

Aye, saying he's a bad manager is premature. 

The reality is that he's a completely unknown quantity. 

I hope he has a decent start and gets some goodwill behind him early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Proud Dandy said:

* I’m also skeptical of the appointment and not getting carried away after a few interviews, 

** but I don’t think you can say either way if he’s a good manager or not, or make claims about his ability, simply because he’s never been a manager before. It’s a huge gamble, sometimes they pay off though, he could be a great manager 🤞

* Welcome to the ranks of the skeptical minority. Expect dildoes. 👍

** Well, I can say he's not a particularly good manager, because he managed both Atlanta B and Atlanta, and he wasn't particularly good with either. 

People are stoked because he's coherent, 'out of left field', promises attacking football, and has the backing of the board. Nowhere in there are people stoked because he's a good football manager... and unfortunately that's his primary designation at the club... football manager. 

Everyone's happy enough to ignore this glaring disconnect, though.

 

 

  • Downvote 1
  • Dildo on Bonnet 6

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

* Then removing his experience with the Atlanta sides means he's coming into the job with absolutely no experience whatsoever, so if that's supposed to be an argument in support of Glass' appointment, it actually has exactly the opposite effect. It renders him even less qualified to be Aberdeen manager. 

** Here's the thing... you don't have to be much of a manager to succeed, or at least not fail, in the Scottish game. You don't even have to be particularly bright. Obvious imbeciles like Yogi and Lennon do just fine, even though they'd clearly be more at home swinging in the trees. This is why I have any optimism at all.  Glass is clearly intelligent, even though he's not a particularly good football manager. That intelligence might well mitigate his lack of ability, particularly in a shit league like the SPFL.  That's what I'm pinning my hopes on, plus the prospect of the club spending money to support him... so long as it's money we can afford to spend. 

A large number of Aberdeen fans are obviously swayed by the fact that he doesn't speak like he spends his spare time licking windows... and that's fine. I can see how people who lack critical thinking skills (the majority of people) would be easily swayed by someone who doesn't pronounce 'situation' as 'shit-yee-ayshun', or 'obviously' as 'oab-vee-ushlay'... linguistically it's a breath of fresh air... 

Dreadful appointment, but that's not to say he can't be a success. 

Feel free to slap a dildo on this post 👍

 

 

:clangers2:

 

You used to be decent 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye, saying he's a bad manager is premature. 

The reality is that he's a completely unknown quantity. 

I hope he has a decent start and gets some goodwill behind him early. 

I didn't say he's a bad manager... I said his record is patchy to poor and he's demonstrated that he's not particularly good. 

Top of MY list of "Things I want in a football manager" is "Good at being a football manager"

Glass lacks that criteria. 

 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

* (1)Then removing his experience with the Atlanta sides means he's coming into the job with absolutely no experience whatsoever, so if that's supposed to be an argument in support of Glass' appointment, it actually has exactly the opposite effect. It renders him even less qualified to be Aberdeen manager. 

** (2) Here's the thing... you don't have to be much of a manager to succeed, or at least not fail, in the Scottish game. You don't even have to be particularly bright. Obvious imbeciles like Yogi and Lennon do just fine, even though they'd clearly be more at home swinging in the trees. This is why I have any optimism at all.  Glass is clearly intelligent, even though he's not a particularly good football manager. That intelligence might well mitigate his lack of ability, particularly in a shit league like the SPFL.  That's what I'm pinning my hopes on, plus the prospect of the club spending money to support him... so long as it's money we can afford to spend. 

A large number of Aberdeen fans are obviously swayed by the fact that he doesn't speak like he spends his spare time licking windows... and that's fine. I can see how people who lack critical thinking skills (the majority of people) would be easily swayed by someone who doesn't pronounce 'situation' as 'shit-yee-ayshun', or 'obviously' as 'oab-vee-ushlay'... linguistically it's a breath of fresh air... 

(3) Dreadful appointment, but that's not to say he can't be a success. 

Feel free to slap a dildo on this 


 

No Dildo slapped, but a differing opinion.

(1)To say he has no experience is bollox. He said he did his pro licence 8 years ago and has coached at varying levels in that time, all building and adding to his experience. Now you may have an argument that he does not have much experience coaching as the main man for any professional club, but then we could point out that any top level manager / coach had to start somewhere and be given the opportunity to flourish as the main man. Glass is a calculated gamble,  no argument there,  it far far better to try this fresh approach than go with the same lame old suggestions of Lennon, Yogi, Robinson, Wright, etc etc etc. He himself has stated he needs to prove he will be a success and it would seem from his very get go, he is putting in place a team of successful winners in Russell and Brown that adds more confidence that he will have a better chance of succeeding than of those previously listed.

(2) You’re contradicting yourself here. You say Glass has ‘no experience whatsoever’, yet also claim ‘he’s not a particular good football manager’. It would seem from the outside that he has been very successful in what his role at Atlanta was, which was to develop players capable of moving into the main Atlanta side. I’m convinced that this experience is part of his reasoning for selection, in that his requirement will be to develop and use the youth system more. I would agree he will be backed, but this will be for the core of the first team to add experience supported with the youth development. It means we’ll likely have a smaller squad of journeymen but a core group with confidence to promote from within.

(3) It’s clear you think he’s the wrong appointment. Time will tell. I hope he is successful and you get a big fat GIRFUY for your negativity.

17 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Zeus said:

:clangers2:

 

You used to be decent 

You sound like my wife. 

If you have a criticism or a counterpoint you can always write it down and I'll address it.

"Naw it's naw" isn't a counterpioint... and nor are dildos... though that seems to be the main attempt at rebuttal people manage. 😀

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Ke1t said:

You sound like my wife. 

If you have a criticism or a counterpoint you can always write it down and I'll address it.

"Naw it's naw" isn't a counterpioint... and nor are dildos... though that seems to be the main attempt at rebuttal people manage. 😀

Didn't give you the dildo. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Encouraging that training seems to have gone up to a level we would actually expect. Makes you wonder what has been going on as McInnes seemed to have the players really fit and motivate the first few years, we seemed to score a lot of late goals as we were still going when the opposition was tired. The last few years we’ve not seen any of that and so many injuries and players hinting at training being low intensity. Maybe he became jaded with it all like some of us.

Either way it’s a good start. I’ve not watched a single press conference or clip of Glass talking yet though. Keeping expectation low I think but hoping he can deliver.

Why wouldn’t you wish to hear what the new manager of the team you support has to say?

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:


 

No Dildo slapped, but a differing opinion.

(1)To say he has no experience is bollox. He said he did his pro licence 8 years ago and has coached at varying levels in that time, all building and adding to his experience. Now you may have an argument that he does not have much experience coaching as the main man for any professional club, but then we could point out that any top level manager / coach had to start somewhere and be given the opportunity to flourish as the main man. Glass is a calculated gamble,  no argument there,  it far far better to try this fresh approach than go with the same lame old suggestions of Lennon, Yogi, Robinson, Wright, etc etc etc. He himself has stated he needs to prove he will be a success and it would seem from his very get go, he is putting in place a team of successful winners in Russell and Brown that adds more confidence that he will have a better chance of succeeding than of those previously listed.

(2) You’re contradicting yourself here. You say Glass has ‘no experience whatsoever’, yet also claim ‘he’s not a particular good football manager’. It would seem from the outside that he has been very successful in what his role at Atlanta was, which was to develop players capable of moving into the main Atlanta side. I’m convinced that this experience is part of his reasoning for selection, in that his requirement will be to develop and use the youth system more. I would agree he will be backed, but this will be for the core of the first team to add experience supported with the youth development. It means we’ll likely have a smaller squad of journeymen but a core group with confidence to promote from within.

(3) It’s clear you think he’s the wrong appointment. Time will tell. I hope he is successful and you get a big fat GIRFUY for your negativity.

 

I appreciate a cogent response. 

1. I didn't say he has no experience. His experience, as I've repeatedly stated, is with Atlanta, where his record is poor.  I can recall two previous managers who had little to no experience managing football clubs, Willie Miller and Roy Aitken. Both ended in disaster. 

2. I'm not contradicting myself. As above, I cited Atlanta as his managerial experience and IF you take that experience out of the equation (as another poster hypothetically suggested) then that means he has no experience, hypothetically. I wasn't making both arguments, I was rebutting one of them. 

3. I think hiring  a manager whose track record is that of Stephen Glass' is a bad idea, yes. But as I've repeatedly said, not being a good manager isn't an impediment to success in the SPFL. I live in hope. 

Edited by Ke1t
  • Downvote 1
  • Dildo on Bonnet 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

I appreciate a cogent response. 

1. I didn't say he has no experience. His experience, as I've repeatedly stated, is with Atlanta, where his record is poor.  I can recall two previous managers who had little to no experience managing football clubs, Willie Miller and Roy Aitken. Both ended in disaster. 

2. I'm not contradicting myself. As above, I cited Atlanta as his managerial experience and IF you take that experience out of the equation (as another poster hypothetically suggested) then that means he has no experience, hypothetically. I wasn't making both arguments, I was rebutting one of them. 

3. I think giving a manager whose track record is that of Stephen Glass' is a bad idea, yes. But as I've repeatedly said, not being a good manager isn't an impediment to success in the SPFL. I live in hope. 

I too share the reservations you have, Kelt. 

As I’ve said before, if it weren’t for the Atlanta link, Stephen Glass wouldn’t have got a mention.

I don’t think there will be any middle ground on this, it’ll either go pear shaped or be a masterstroke.

But he’s here now, he speaks & communicates well, hopefully that translates into his management & coaching.

I wish him well & really hope he succeeds & proves me wrong, and I don’t think we should start judging him until next season.

Here’s hoping he gets off to a positive start tomorrow. 

 

  • Dildo on Bonnet 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

I appreciate a cogent response. 

1. I didn't say he has no experience. His experience, as I've repeatedly stated, is with Atlanta, where his record is poor.  I can recall two previous managers who had little to no experience managing football clubs, Willie Miller and Roy Aitken. Both ended in disaster. 

2. I'm not contradicting myself. As above, I cited Atlanta as his managerial experience and IF you take that experience out of the equation (as another poster hypothetically suggested) then that means he has no experience, hypothetically. I wasn't making both arguments, I was rebutting one of them. 

3. I think hiring  a manager whose track record is that of Stephen Glass' is a bad idea, yes. But as I've repeatedly said, not being a good manager isn't an impediment to success in the SPFL. I live in hope. 

There are far bigger clubs than Aberdeen that have successfully promoted coaches with no top team experience into the top role, where by your requirements shouldn’t have been afforded that opportunity.

His role and promotions within Atlanta would suggest he was successful in his role of developing and promoting players from the B team. A short interim time coverage in the A team where they were selling off their prize assets and he had taken over at a turbulent time is not fair to determine if he is capable of being the main man at Aberdeen. I reiterate, his first actions of getting a successful team of winners in (Brown and Russell) instill confidence that he is putting in place a good foundation to be successful and that the club will support him in delivering the targets they are setting.

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

They've definitely spoken to Griffiths I reckon. 

The oft used phrase 'he's a Celtic player and we respect that etc etc' is football code for 'fuck off its none of your business you weegie hack' 

Really hope so..I maintain that a focused LG would be a brilliant signing. Fit for the season, I reckon he would score 25 plus in a season...

please make it happen...

Share this post


Link to post

Really wish we'd appointed an experienced manager with plenty experience in Scottish football like Stephen Robinson, Derek Adams, John Hughes or Gary Locke :clangers2:

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, afc1903mad said:

1. There are far bigger clubs than Aberdeen that have successfully promoted coaches with no top team experience into the top role, where by your requirements shouldn’t have been afforded that opportunity.

2. His role and promotions within Atlanta would suggest he was successful in his role of developing and promoting players from the B team. A short interim time coverage in the A team where they were selling off their prize assets and he had taken over at a turbulent time is not fair to determine if he is capable of being the main man at Aberdeen. I reiterate, his first actions of getting a successful team of winners in (Brown and Russell) instill confidence that he is putting in place a good foundation to be successful and that the club will support him in delivering the targets they are setting.

1. I'm sure there are, but in the Aberdeen Universe our history of promoting inexperienced managers to the top job has invariably ended in near catastrophe. Maybe Glass is Villas-Boas MKII, but that's way too much speculation for my liking. Maybe he'd also be able to land a passenger plane full of orphans... but again, I'd rather not be in a position to find out what he can and can't do without prior experience, particularly when the last time he tried to land a plane it ended up on fire in a ditch 10 miles from the airport. 

2. Spotting a player isn't necessarily a gauge for managerial success either... One of our previous managers 'discovered' half the Dutch national team, but all we got was Dave Bus.. John Park is a legendary superscout, but could he manage a football team. 

Again, it's not all skepticism. It appears the board has ambitions beyond 3rd place and one minor trophy every quarter of a century. I think that's terrific. Aberdeen is, to my mind, a sleeping giant. 

 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Really wish we'd appointed an experienced manager with plenty experience in Scottish football like Stephen Robinson, Derek Adams, John Hughes or Gary Locke :clangers2:

I hope you don't think THAT'S my argument. 

  • Downvote 1
  • Dildo on Bonnet 1

Share this post


Link to post

Nah some cunt managing in the Irish league. 

Ah he showed a bit of pashion in the derby vs some other part time yokels! 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Zeus said:

Nah some cunt managing in the Irish league. 

Ah he showed a bit of pashion in the derby vs some other part time yokels! 

Correct. 

An experienced manager who's won things, and is worth giving an opportunity to step up. 

As opposed to a guy who didn't suggest he could do much more than struggle with a club that was struggling. 

That doesn't seem reasonable? 

  • Downvote 1
  • Dildo on Bonnet 1

Share this post


Link to post

Mickey Mellon and his exciting brand of football seemed reasonable to me 

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Stoneybloke said:

I meant for tomorrow. Lewis has had his chance. Having a goalie as captain is an admission of failure.

No point in changing it when we have a few games left. Especially not to Considine. 

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Mickey Mellon and his exciting brand of football seemed reasonable to me 

 

Excellent track record... also a viable option. 

  • Dildo on Bonnet 1

Share this post


Link to post

I don’t see Considine being the next captain and that’s nothing against him at all. I can’t see past Scott Brown for captain under Glass, he’s got so much experience in the right area of the pitch. I’d be surprised if it’s anyone else l don’t know how well it will go down with some people but he is a real leader that we’ve been lacking since Shinnies left.  

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, donswin1983 said:

Really hope so..I maintain that a focused LG would be a brilliant signing. Fit for the season, I reckon he would score 25 plus in a season...

please make it happen...

Focused & fit is something he hasn’t been for a long time though. 
Those free kicks against England seem a long long time ago now. 
Him & Edouard finished the season before last quite well from memory, that’s the last time he looked good.

I agree IF you can get him even close to 100% then he’d potentially be a terrific signing, but it is a massive IF. 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ke1t said:

I didn't say he's a bad manager... I said his record is patchy to poor and he's demonstrated that he's not particularly good. 

Top of MY list of "Things I want in a football manager" is "Good at being a football manager"

Glass lacks that criteria. 

 

Your reservations are valid and probably shared by most on here. He's a punt. 

Cormack's picked a guy he trusts. Let's hope he's got good judgment. 

Could go either way. Same as any rookie choice.  At least he's gained his coaching qualifications and got some coaching experience so he's not completely wet behind the ears. 

I'd completely disregard the Atlanta B record. That's a job where you're working with bairns and waifs and strays most of the time. Reserve team football. If he'd won every game with Atlanta B I'd be saying the same thing. 

We'll find out pretty quickly if he's got the cohones to be a manager in his own right both by the courage of his convictions tactically and the signings he brings in this summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Focused & fit is something he hasn’t been for a long time though. 
Those free kicks against England seem a long long time ago now. 
Him & Edouard finished the season before last quite well from memory, that’s the last time he looked good.

I agree IF you can get him even close to 100% then he’d potentially be a terrific signing, but it is a massive IF. 

Perhaps not as match fit as he could be, but he doesn’t look unfit, physically. Can’t speak for his mental state but that appears better, given he’s back at work..

he’s a quality player,  an excellent goal scorer and in my view well worth the ‘risk’, even if he saw it as a stepping stone to somewhere else..

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Zeus said:

:clangers2:

 

You used to be decent 

When, 2003?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ke1t said:

* Welcome to the ranks of the skeptical minority. Expect dildoes. 👍

** Well, I can say he's not a particularly good manager, because he managed both Atlanta B and Atlanta, and he wasn't particularly good with either. 

People are stoked because he's coherent, 'out of left field', promises attacking football, and has the backing of the board. Nowhere in there are people stoked because he's a good football manager... and unfortunately that's his primary designation at the club... football manager. 

Everyone's happy enough to ignore this glaring disconnect, though.

 

 

The Atlanta stuff is totally irrelevant due to a number of reasons that have been explained plenty times.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, donswin1983 said:

Perhaps not as match fit as he could be, but he doesn’t look unfit, physically. Can’t speak for his mental state but that appears better, given he’s back at work..

he’s a quality player,  an excellent goal scorer and in my view well worth the ‘risk’, even if he saw it as a stepping stone to somewhere else..

 

At 30 I’m not sure there’s a stepping stone upwards after the Dons is there? 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Your reservations are valid and probably shared by most on here. He's a punt. 

Cormack's picked a guy he trusts. Let's hope he's got good judgment. 

Could go either way. Same as any rookie choice.  At least he's gained his coaching qualifications and got some coaching experience so he's not completely wet behind the ears. 

I'd completely disregard the Atlanta B record. That's a job where you're working with bairns and waifs and strays most of the time. Reserve team football. If he'd won every game with Atlanta B I'd be saying the same thing. 

We'll find out pretty quickly if he's got the cohones to be a manager in his own right both by the courage of his convictions tactically and the signings he brings in this summer. 

Well, Cormack has picked Glass for some reason, but those reasons aren't clear I don't think. 

Is it because Glass has shown massive potential and is ready to explode? Is it because he knows Glass and is mates with him and, hey, he's a football manager and, hey, Aberdeen needs a new manager... so.... Or is it because Glass is a Yes man who will do whatever Cormack tells him? 

No-one really knows why, except Cormack and Glass. 

Once again, I feel I need to offer the addendum that I HOPE Glass is everything he talks himself up to be. 

 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...