First Hatter in Space

Ramandu

On 3/31/2021 at 5:14 AM, Ramandu said:

The European Space Agency is taking applications to be an astronaut, starting today. It's been two decades since the last round of applications, the one where Tim Peake got selected. The UK is a member (it's nothing to do with the EU), so you're free to apply (well, not the Canadians). All you need is

- Masters degree (or higher) in science, engineering or medicine

- At least 3 years of experience working after uni

- Speak English (and ideally another language)

- Be under 50

I bet there's a few on here who meet those requirements. You should apply, and become the first hatter in space.

Terrified of flying, but strangely would love to stoat aboot in space. 

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

What's scarier,  falling to earth or floating off into the abyss? 

Falling to Earth you die instantly when you smack into the ground, floating off into space you suffocate when your oxygen runs out. 

Quite like the idea of floating off into space, though. 

Imagine your corpse being picked up by aliens a billion years from now... "Haw, man.. check this mad thing I foon stoatin' aboot ootside the spaceship, but."

"'At's pure fuckin' mental! Whit's we aw the fucking fluffy shite on toap it?"

I'm speculating that Aliens, in a billion years, will be Weegies. 

14 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Falling to Earth you die instantly when you smack into the ground, floating off into space you suffocate when your oxygen runs out. 

Quite like the idea of floating off into space, though. 

Imagine your corpse being picked up by aliens a billion years from now... "Haw, man.. check this mad thing I foon stoatin' aboot ootside the spaceship, but."

"'At's pure fuckin' mental! Whit's we aw the fucking fluffy shite on toap it?"

I'm speculating that Aliens, in a billion years, will be Weegies. 

Falling to earth,  there's always the slight hope you might land on a large hay bale or a stuntmans crash mat on a film set.  Floating off into space,  you know your fucked. 

2 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

Falling to earth,  there's always the slight hope you might land on a large hay bale or a stuntmans crash mat on a film set.  Floating off into space,  you know your fucked. 

Read once about a lad who fell out of a hot air balloon from a few thousand feet up, landed in a snow bank, walked it off. 

Record is some Serbian bird who fell over 30,000 feet. survived, but looked like she'd refused anal aff Cheesepipes. Terrorist blew up the plane in-flight, she was the sole survivor, spend a while in a coma, and went right back to flying. 

Even if you survive though... fuck me... affa sair. 

Opie & Anthony: Dam Base Jump Parachute Fail (Video) - YouTube

1 minute ago, Ke1t said:

Read once about a lad who fell out of a hot air balloon from a few thousand feet up, landed in a snow bank, walked it off. 

Record is some Serbian bird who fell over 30,000 feet. survived, but looked like she'd refused anal aff Cheesepipes. Terrorist blew up the plane in-flight, she was the sole survivor, spend a while in a coma, and went right back to flying. 

Even if you survive though... fuck me... affa sair. 

Opie & Anthony: Dam Base Jump Parachute Fail (Video) - YouTube

I  remember reading an entry in the Guinness Book Of Records annual when I was young,  about an air stewardess falling thousands of feet and surviving.  She was quite tidy if I remember right. 

6 hours ago, maryhilldon said:

What's scarier,  falling to earth or floating off into the abyss? 

NASA used to have a wee jet pack for spacewalks, to be used without any tether. The astronaut was free floating, as close as anyone's ever come to just floating off into the void. The photo of it in action gives me the Heebie jeebies.

It also terrified the NASA engineers, they only used it twice. 

Would post the picture, but I'm too dense to know how.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manned_Maneuvering_Unit

2 hours ago, Ramandu said:

NASA used to have a wee jet pack for spacewalks, to be used without any tether. The astronaut was free floating, as close as anyone's ever come to just floating off into the void. The photo of it in action gives me the Heebie jeebies.

It also terrified the NASA engineers, they only used it twice. 

Would post the picture, but I'm too dense to know how.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manned_Maneuvering_Unit

Gravity was a great film,  pretty much summed up that terrifying scenario.