European Super League

2 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

I agree. Won't happen. The court of public opinion will kill it dead in the water.

An ill-thought out venture based on greed and greed alone. Shame on the clubs for agreeing to it but as Gary Neville nailed, these big six aren't interested in anything other than cash-cowing the game.

Milne was the same at AFC. He was using us to further a personal agenda. Ugly and impure agendas never deserve to succeed. 

It's all a cover by them to get Champions League format altered.

Public opinion in the UK is one thing but the owners couldn't give a fuck.

These clubs will get this ESL or they'll get guaranteed entry into the Champions League. Either way it's fucked if you are in a league with any of these founder clubs.

The English Premier League is about to become similar to the League Cup. A secondary competition that viewers won't really care about because the money (and its all about money) is in the ESL. Sky will be bricking it. They know those six clubs drive viewer numbers and subscriptions. Their product is about to become devalued. Do they devalue it even more by getting rid of those six clubs? Not a chance.

Have to laugh at the likes of Neville. He's fucked over other clubs with Salford and his employers fucked over many with the creation of the Premier League itself.

4 minutes ago, Torry Tosser said:

It want take off...Any betting by the bookies it want happen?

Given the current model isn't very sustainable for these clubs, I'm not sure what UEFA etc could do to change things so that they do want to stay.   The UEFA president hasn't exactly gone out in conciliatory mode either. 

These clubs have done this assuming that they will be able to increase the TV revenues, have it split between less clubs, and avoid hindrances like solidarity payments.  I'm not sure UEFA could come close to matching that without taking the blueprint and adopting it exactly.  

I see Preston North End have released a statement saying it is a wealth grab.  And therein lies the problem, football has for so long now been about the business side over the sporting side that this is what people are really complaining about.  Ultimately, a lot of people are complaining because a gravy train is coming to an end.  They complain about the English football pyramid being in dire financial straits (a long standing issue, that may have been exacerbated by Covid, but isn't new) and don't take a minute to reflect that has been caused by mismanagement over a prolonged period.  

This is just a result of the monster that they've all been involved in creating. 

• Upvote 2
Just now, rocket_scientist said:

The public opinion I was referring to were the fans of the chosen clubs. Even a Juve fan on the news nailed it. If the fans don't want it - and they don't - the owners will rethink. This has just been a dipping a toe in the water phase. Having got agreement in principle, this announcement is now testing the appetite for it. Had they had the sense to know what the fans are about - they don't - then they wouldn't have got this far. 

Seen a twitter post saying those involved see traditional fans of the clubs as "legacy fans" and that they're more focused on "fans of the future" i.e. brainless clowns in Africa, Asia and the States who'll pay for PPV but couldn't point to Manchester or Milan on a map.

• Upvote 2
18 minutes ago, Torry Tosser said:

How are Spurs classed as one of the 6,when last did they win anything.... Leicester could say they won league 4 year ago and now 4th in league..lol

They're the Jewish club aren't they,  always gonna be involved in anything lucrative,  even if their on field achievements don't merit it. 

• Downvote 1
  • Dildo 1
3 minutes ago, NEM said:

Seen a twitter post saying those involved see traditional fans of the clubs as "legacy fans" and that they're more focused on "fans of the future" i.e. brainless clowns in Africa, Asia and the States who'll pay for PPV but couldn't point to Manchester or Milan on a map.

Don't forget "brainless clowns" in the UK and the rest of Europe as well.  We have plenty fans like that here, who will support a "big club" but will never have experienced the matchday in person.  It's moved away from being a sport to being an entertainment product.  

5 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

There will be mileage in that, unfortunately. 

Yip.

The definition of a fan is different for this lot. Getting under a million fans watching on Sky is one thing. Getting 10+ million watching it across the globe via a streaming service is another thing entirely. These are the fans this is whole scheme is for.

There is a good book on the history of the NFL by Michael MacCambridge - America's Game. Everything I've read today tells me that the NFL is the model here. As a result, I wouldn't be surprised to see games taking place in Asia/Middle East. I also wouldn't be surprised to see some clubs move to new locations. They are franchises now, not clubs.

6 minutes ago, Foster14 said:

Given the current model isn't very sustainable for these clubs, I'm not sure what UEFA etc could do to change things so that they do want to stay.   The UEFA president hasn't exactly gone out in conciliatory mode either. 

These clubs have done this assuming that they will be able to increase the TV revenues, have it split between less clubs, and avoid hindrances like solidarity payments.  I'm not sure UEFA could come close to matching that without taking the blueprint and adopting it exactly.  

I see Preston North End have released a statement saying it is a wealth grab.  And therein lies the problem, football has for so long now been about the business side over the sporting side that this is what people are really complaining about.  Ultimately, a lot of people are complaining because a gravy train is coming to an end.  They complain about the English football pyramid being in dire financial straits (a long standing issue, that may have been exacerbated by Covid, but isn't new) and don't take a minute to reflect that has been caused by mismanagement over a prolonged period.  

This is just a result of the monster that they've all been involved in creating. 

That’s the most ridiculous part of the whole thing. They get paid hundred of millions of pounds from tv deals and prize money every year, it should be more than sustainable.

UEFA gave in to greed before by changing the old European cup format, it’s nothing they don’t deserve.

19 minutes ago, Torry Tosser said:

Pogba wanting £500,000 a week to sign new contract,games going bonkers...

Because someone will pay it just now.  You can't control these things when the revenue streams and sizes of the clubs in leagues are so varied. 

Make an elite competition where club size has parity and revenue streams can be made similar, and then you can control it.  

2 minutes ago, Foster14 said:

Don't forget "brainless clowns" in the UK and the rest of Europe as well.  We have plenty fans like that here, who will support a "big club" but will never have experienced the matchday in person.  It's moved away from being a sport to being an entertainment product.  

There's fuck all entertaining about a pointless competition where the same teams play each other every week again and again, no fear of relegation,  the stadiums will be half empty as people will stop giving a fuck after watching like Tottenham play Juve for the 50th time in a few years in a pointless, exhibition match.  

14 minutes ago, Foster14 said:

Of course there's plenty of them here too, unfortunately.  As I posted earlier - poor parenting

2 minutes ago, brownie said:

Yip.

The definition of a fan is different for this lot. Getting under a million fans watching on Sky is one thing. Getting 10+ million watching it across the globe via a streaming service is another thing entirely. These are the fans this is whole scheme is for.

There is a good book on the history of the NFL by Michael MacCambridge - America's Game. Everything I've read today tells me that the NFL is the model here. As a result, I wouldn't be surprised to see games taking place in Asia/Middle East. I also wouldn't be surprised to see some clubs move to new locations. They are franchises now, not clubs.

That's how I've thought it would go for a while.  It's a difficult one as football is such an established sport compared to how the NFL developed from a not so established sport.  There was always going to be a market for a similar structure to the NFL within the globalised world and it was going to come from through this approach.  Rich folk buying established clubs to ultimately set up a closed door league.  

The alternate is trying to create the league out of nothing like the various failed attempts in the USA for alternate American Football leagues.  

1 minute ago, Andy_123 said:

That’s the most ridiculous part of the whole thing. They get paid hundred of millions of pounds from tv deals and prize money every year, it should be more than sustainable.

UEFA gave in to greed before by changing the old European cup format, it’s nothing they don’t deserve.

It's all about global growth for these clubs though and competing for that market.  It is due to the corporate finance world getting involved.  Debt and losses are nothing.  Take Barcelona - there value has gone from $1.2bn in 2012 to $4.8bn in 2020, despite taking on more and more debt.  (https://www.forbes.com/teams/barcelona/?sh=274048601d9b)

And therein lies the problem for a lot of clubs.  They are in financial messes but largely continue to survive as there is the promise of the future and when things get really bad, other people believe that they can take over, sort it out and get the club in to a better position with more cash coming in.  The day the bubble bursts and the future outlook is immediately downgraded, a lot of clubs are in trouble.  Parachute payments, solidarity payments, tv revenues etc all could dwindle on the back of this in a business that has been built on the expectation of continual growth.  It would be a mess for any club not immaculately managed.

10 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

There's fuck all entertaining about a pointless competition where the same teams play each other every week again and again, no fear of relegation,  the stadiums will be half empty as people will stop giving a fuck after watching like Tottenham play Juve for the 50th time in a few years in a pointless, exhibition match.  

That's tuned in to us from years of experiencing it.  

I'm not sure that is the real life view nowadays.  

13 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Aye and the players at Spurs will be cheesed off finishing bottom all the time,and then greeting can we come back hame.

• Downvote 1
1 minute ago, Torry Tosser said:

Aye and the players at Spurs will be cheesed off finishing bottom all the time,and then greeting can we come back hame.

Hopefully the threat of not being allowed to play at world cups or the Euros will put a lot of players off going to these clubs.  Or it will diminish International Sides, but at that stage it would only be detrimental to the big 5 countries, and not us. 

1 minute ago, StandFree1982 said:

The price of Sky Sports etc is absolutely insane already. Imagine how much it's going to cost to get these games as well? They'll be ploughing billions into this competition to get rights, I hope to fuck none of you cunts ever buy into it.  It really needs to be ignored by as many people as possible. 

Sky should have been fucked off years ago by fans of clubs like ours

30 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

The SPFL have announced a deal with SKY that allows all clubs to live stream their home games next season.

Which means we ain't getting into games, certainly in the early part of next season

I don't think this has anything to do with Covid. I suspect the gruesome twosome will have been badgering for that.

There's a lot of revenue to be had for them by going down that route.

Just now, brownie said:

I don't think this has anything to do with Covid. I suspect the gruesome twosome will have been badgering for that.

There's a lot of revenue to be had for them by going down that route.

Aye they've sewn it up again. 

Just about all their away games are on sky

Home games sold through their own channels.

Therefore, more home games to sell than anyone else and other clubs have less games to sell against smaller opposition as the Hun and Celtic games are sewn up on sky. 

And the spfl has facilitated this. Presumably with the blessing of its member clubs. 

6 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye they've sewn it up again. 

Just about all their away games are on sky

Home games sold through their own channels.

Therefore, more home games to sell than anyone else and other clubs have less games to sell against smaller opposition as the Hun and Celtic games are sewn up on sky. 

And the spfl has facilitated this. Presumably with the blessing of its member clubs. 

Exactly.

It's why Doncaster is having a laugh with his comments on the ESL. That clown has done the same in Scotland for years. It's set up for a few, not the many.

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

The SPFL have announced a deal with SKY that allows all clubs to live stream their home games next season.

Which means we ain't getting into games, certainly in the early part of next season

It means nothing of the sort. For starters fans in Scotland will be back in stadiums for Scotland games in June.

On 4/18/2021 at 5:35 PM, NEM said:

Madrid were £200 million in debt at one point but the cooncil bailed them out

With our hard earned tax money as only Germany and UK were net contributors to the EU at the time. Also they got the money through an EU scheme to help places of historical interest or some shite like that.