European Super League

8 minutes ago, daytripping said:

This may be a chance to make the game about sport again, let the elite fuck off, new playing field with all teams starting on a level playing field is what we're crying out for. No monetary advantage to any team, let sport and the best coaches and teams prevail. Will never happen but this just might help.

100%

7 minutes ago, daytripping said:

This may be a chance to make the game about sport again, let the elite fuck off, new playing field with all teams starting on a level playing field is what we're crying out for. No monetary advantage to any team, let sport and the best coaches and teams prevail. Will never happen but this just might help.

+1....sadly, you’re right, it won’t happen..

4 hours ago, daytripping said:

Prick.

Freedom fighters don't murder children and pensioners. 

They do. 

War is ugly, wasn't the IRA who started it. If you invade a country and oppress its people, the outcome is always brutal violence, both in stopping the inevitable pushback, and the pushback itself. 

See; South Africa, India, America etc etc. 

The Brits were always the perpetrators. 

1 hour ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

They do. 

War is ugly, wasn't the IRA who started it. If you invade a country and oppress its people, the outcome is always brutal violence, both in stopping the inevitable pushback, and the pushback itself. 

South Africa more so the Dutch of course ? 

2 hours ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

They do. 

Entirely Drivel

• Dildo 1

The Scottish FA joins with UEFA and other National Associations in condemning the proposals by Europe’s wealthiest clubs to break away to set up their own closed competition based on patronage rather than sporting merit.

When it comes about taking about Scottish Football...Nothing ever from them.

They then issue a statement next day about European Super League in which Scottish clubs will never compete.

51 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Haha I genuinely am anyway 

No doubt my arse will hardly be on the actual seat, but I love what cormack is doing and the noises glass is making,  so this is what I feel I should be doing

The season after I will get one for Mario too in preparation for the new stadium so that we are on the list for one there 

I admire your confidence / hope MT, I really do hope you are right and your hopes pan out the way you want them to.

I am probably too long in the tooth now, having awoken to too many false dawn's in the past.

Glass I genuinely believe is a decent guy, and will be given my 100% support. I really do hope he brings a brand of football we hope for. We shall see as next season progresses.

Unfortunately I am not so enthusiastic about Cormack. There is just something about his whole demeanor that bugs me. Again I hope he succeeds but having worked with folk in the past with a similar presentation approach I do have a concern that he will end up more a bullshitter than someone who will transform us into a top 100 club.

As stated on another thread I will not be renewing my season ticket for now, more because my grown up son has secured a job overseas and will no longer be attending the matches.

I have "enjoyed" almost 20 years going to Pittodrie with my loon. Hope that you and Mario do likewise ?

10 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

Why are jews hated?

Because they are scum?

Certainly applies to the current despotic government under perpetual rule from that cretinous piece of shit Netanyahu.

And the 70 odd mutants checking in about 50 pieces of luggage each, taking up every single check-in desk at JFK adding over an hour to other travellers bag drop and delaying the flight therein.

Fucking freaks.

4 hours ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

They do. 

Currently day Israel are absolute cunts, but nowhere near as cretinous as the British.

Absolute dregs of humanity.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
13 minutes ago, Lencarl said:

The Scottish FA joins with UEFA and other National Associations in condemning the proposals by Europe’s wealthiest clubs to break away to set up their own closed competition based on patronage rather than sporting merit.

They then issue a statement next day about European Super League in which Scottish clubs will never compete.

Of course they do as it will impact two particular clubs more than others, and the cash the SFA itself gets (I assume) from UEFA.

We will be told that this is a body blow for all Scottish clubs because the current set up generates cash which makes it way to all clubs in the form of solidarity payments.  Even though those solidarity payments are a fraction of what the clubs (and particularly two) get when they actually participate in European competition, we should all be grateful and accept the status quo.  

For 10 (or 40) participants in the SPFL this could potentially be a great opportunity.  The money coming in to the game up here isn't going to be adversely affected, but the bubble bursting elsewhere could see a much more level playing field.  

12 hours ago, YorkDon said:

They’ll all be like the dead rubber matches in the Champions League where nobody is interested in giving 100% cos it’s meaningless.

13 hours ago, TopDon said:

Very true, they are reaping what they sow with their coefficient bollocks, very much akin to one of Frankenstein's creations.

Personally think it's all too funny on many accounts. The clubs leaving will find themselves playing meaningless 'glamour' ties week in week out, and the novelty will die out within two seasons. Reminds me of a snake eating its own tail. 

The water has been tested on this for years, and I assume the people at the top are seeing the interest is there.  All these games held in pre-season for the chance to win the random location pre-season "cups".  Hell, in Scotland we allowed clubs to postpone games to go on a jolly for a "glamour" friendly.  

And every competition has dead rubber games.  We can sit here and say relegation makes things more interesting etc, but is Fulham vs Newcastle really going to grab the attention more than say AC Milan vs Tottenham.  Worldwide, I assume not.  With the setup having 5 out of 10 teams from each league still able to go on to win the whole thing, they've obviously already considered this as well.  Also a lot easier to tweak the setup as they see fit to reduce these risks.  

I think one of the most daft things about is anyone suggesting there isn't a market for it, or that it would fail.  The global market is primed for such a competition.  Now they just need to get the managers/players on board! Money will talk there.  

• Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, Foster14 said:

I think one of the most daft things about is anyone suggesting there isn't a market for it, or that it would fail.  The global market is primed for such a competition.  Now they just need to get the managers/players on board! Money will talk there.  

True.

Whether or not this Super League happens, the direction of travel is set. The EPL gets only 13% of its revenue from matchdays*, the rest comes from TV and sponsorship. Armchair fans in East Asia are now worth more to clubs than season ticket holders. Those season tickets holders in the big leagues can complain, but they no longer pay the piper, so they can't call the tune.

*Scotland has the highest figure in Europe, which shows how bad Doncaster is at his job. Scottish cup still has no sponsor.

1 hour ago, Lencarl said:

That's their real issue - the arse cheeks haven't been invited

13 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

True.

Whether or not this Super League happens, the direction of travel is set. The EPL gets only 13% of its revenue from matchdays*, the rest comes from TV and sponsorship. Armchair fans in East Asia are now worth more to clubs than season ticket holders. Those season tickets holders in the big leagues can complain, but the no longer pay the piper, so they can't call the tune.

*Scotland has the highest figure in Europe, which shows how bad Doncaster is at his job. Scottish cup still has no sponsor.

It's shocking that the SFA have been unable to get anyone to sponsor the Scottish Cup.  As much as I dislike Doncaster he's not actually to blame on this occasion. 

In the absence of a sponsor they could have least have put a charity name on it to raise awareness of some good cause 

Statement from Real Madrid Chairman Perez.

"This Super League Is to save Football,as young people are no longer interested in watching lesser teams poor games"..lol

We at Real have lost 400 million euros in last 2 years it can't go on.

"Well maybe Mr Perez fitba needs to go back to basics and rise again,and clubs like yours stop paying wages of 300,000 to 500,000 a week to all your players"?

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Torry Tosser said:

Statement from Real Madrid Chairman Perez.

"This Super League Is to save Football,as young people are no longer interested in watching lesser teams poor games"..lol

We at Real have lost 400 million euros in last 2 years it can't go on.

"Well maybe Mr Perez fitba needs to go back to basics and rise again,and clubs like yours stop paying wages of 300,000 to 500,000 a week to all your players"?

Their lack of awareness is incredible. 

They'd be better campaigning for wage caps 

3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Their lack of awareness is incredible. 

They'd be better campaigning for wage caps 

Take La Liga - how does a wage cap work?  A percentage of revenue?  How can a club grow if it can't break that cap? How does a newly promoted club know it's relative revenue for the year ahead to then have a cap?

A fixed amount?  Too much disparity in available cash to set a limit for that.  

I saw James Corden do a monologue on this on twitter, that was being held up as a great speech on it.  He mentions that football is a working class game, yet on the other hand mentions that this could kill 100s of other clubs.  No real thought process about how we have reached a position where this even has the potential to kill 100s of clubs.  It ain't because the game is "working class" any more, hasn't been for a long time.  

The whole thing makes me glad I support a club like the dons rather than these guys. 

I think these plans will go through, because as has been said these clubs now have far now more armchair fans across the continents than those who will come to the stadium. Even in Aberdeen, there are probably more folk who will ‘support’ one of these teams rather than AFC. If the owners are looking at everything from a purely financial viewpoint, which they appear to be, it’s a no brained for them.

The only way this will get stopped is if the managers and players come out and say they won’t be taking part. Doubt any/many will given the huge sums of money they already get paid though.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Foster14 said:

The water has been tested on this for years, and I assume the people at the top are seeing the interest is there.  All these games held in pre-season for the chance to win the random location pre-season "cups".  Hell, in Scotland we allowed clubs to postpone games to go on a jolly for a "glamour" friendly.  

And every competition has dead rubber games.  We can sit here and say relegation makes things more interesting etc, but is Fulham vs Newcastle really going to grab the attention more than say AC Milan vs Tottenham.  Worldwide, I assume not.  With the setup having 5 out of 10 teams from each league still able to go on to win the whole thing, they've obviously already considered this as well.  Also a lot easier to tweak the setup as they see fit to reduce these risks.  

I saw an interview on the news last night with some guy from China and the market and appetite for this is definitely there.
It seems this is going to happen whether or not people like it.

The real issue her is what UEFA and FIFA etc do about it.Can they really ban the players who take part from representing their countries, or ban these teams from their domestic leagues and cup competitions?

12 minutes ago, YorkDon said:

I saw an interview on the news last night with some guy from China and the market and appetite for this is definitely there.

The real issue her is what UEFA and FIFA etc do about it.Can they really ban the players who take part from representing their countries, or ban these teams from their domestic leagues and cup competitions?

It seemed that FIFA didn't come out as aggressively as UEFA did.  I guess they don't have as much to lose as UEFA does...

I think it is up to the associations and leagues that these clubs are in to decide on the last part.  To be honest, I don't see them being too fussed if they are chucked out, probably part of their plan to be seen to still want to take part.  

It would be interesting to know what the terms of Sky's deal with the EPL is like.  Would they have an exit if these clubs were no longer part of it?  Or are they obliged to continue paying regardless?

8 minutes ago, Foster14 said:

It seemed that FIFA didn't come out as aggressively as UEFA did.  I guess they don't have as much to lose as UEFA does...

I think it is up to the associations and leagues that these clubs are in to decide on the last part.  To be honest, I don't see them being too fussed if they are chucked out, probably part of their plan to be seen to still want to take part.  

It would be interesting to know what the terms of Sky's deal with the EPL is like.  Would they have an exit if these clubs were no longer part of it?  Or are they obliged to continue paying regardless?

100% would have clauses for all this types of stuff! England and all the other leagues would be in terrible position if those teams left. Money would be a fraction. It could quite honestly have a domino effect considering the debt they are all in. No way they could service it with a tv deal worth 25% or whatever! 

47 minutes ago, slippers said:

100% would have clauses for all this types of stuff! England and all the other leagues would be in terrible position if those teams left. Money would be a fraction. It could quite honestly have a domino effect considering the debt they are all in. No way they could service it with a tv deal worth 25% or whatever! 

And that is the crux of the matter for a lot of people speaking out.  Shite about it being a working class game etc is nonsense.  There are a whole load of finance people who will be scrambling as they've leveraged themselves to the hilt based on future expected revenues.  There will be a whole load of ownership groups worried as a chunk of the value is going to be, or has already been wiped off their investments.  The business model of these 12 clubs are rife throughout the football world and people are upset that they are in a position to do something to improve that model whereas they will lose out.  

If this was still a working class game and it was still about getting 11 v 11 out on the field to represent the club and fans, the disappearance of 12-20 clubs across a variety of leagues to something else would be nothing.  It would be covered by a restructuring (some additional promotions/no relegation/both?) and you'd get on with it.  

Clubs like Brechin going "this is football yesterday" on twitter.  Well that won't change.  This won't impact Brechin.  You didn't do that when scottish league officials allowed clubs to cancel competitive league games for a friendly in some far off land.  You didn't feel the need to do that in any of the increasingly sterile Champions League tournaments.  Season tickets costing thousands of pounds.   

2 hours ago, YorkDon said:

Aye some Chinese bloke, speaking mandarin and called Kevin