Europe 21/22

Shite. 7 seasons of trying to reach the play offs / group stages and now another team can go straight to europa play offs or into the conference group stages. 

Frustrating. We've always given a good account of ourselves in Europe as well. Frustrating we've never gone any further but we've never had any embarrassing defeats like most Scottish teams usually do. 

I can see us having an embarrassing defeat in the conference qualifiers though

10 hours ago, Tord31 said:

I see the Scottish Sun going with scottish cup winner taking a min of £3M for losing europa league play off. minimum of £5m if they win the play off

what a fuck AFC

As you say, same reward next season. 

If Hibs were to get 3rd again next season we could be in trouble. They could be the side to start getting closer to the weegies and start winning trophies

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

If Hibs were to get 3rd again next season we could be in trouble. They could be the side to start getting closer to the weegies and start winning trophies

Yea I'm hoping they dont win the cup as I'd put them as most likely to take advantage of the revenue rather than filling a hole and/or sitting on the cash for a rainy day. 

St Johnstone would make the cash last ten years. They must be the best run club in Scottish football

29 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Yea I'm hoping they dont win the cup as I'd put them as most likely to take advantage of the revenue rather than filling a hole and/or sitting on the cash for a rainy day. 

St Johnstone would make the cash last ten years. They must be the best run club in Scottish football

Agree. Fanbase is also the least irritating. United in particular won't shut up if they win it. Just a pleasant bunch of people, the few in Perth who support their home team. 

7 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

You do realise that Celtic/rangers if they qualify for CL are in line for 40m. There will be no closing of the gap on financial terms. Maybe they can find value though? 

With Europa league being reduced from 48 down to 32 teams. 
does this mean the Scottish cup winners get into the last 32 by playing two games (one play off round)? Or is the last 32 post groups? If so when had they increased the post groups to 48 teams? ?

it’s all a pile of shite now.

2 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

With Europa league being reduced from 48 down to 32 teams. 
does this mean the Scottish cup winners get into the last 32 by playing two games (one play off round)? Or is the last 32 post groups? If so when had they increased the post groups to 48 teams? ?

it’s all a pile of shite now.

There are two qualifying rounds before the Group stages next season. The first qualifying round is mainly diddy teams like celtic who have lost in the second qualifying round of the Champions League. The second qualifying round is where the Scottish Cup winners enter. If they win that round they are into the Group stages which is 8 group of 4 teams.

The 8 Group winners go into the last 16 knock-out round. The 8 Group runners up play off against the 8 3rd place teams from the Champions League Groups with the winners also going into the last 16 knock-our round.

Just to emphasise how rigged this whole thing is it is worth noting that there are only 20 teams that genuinely qualify for this competition from the top 15 countries, including one from Scotland. In addition 37 teams drop down from the Champions League as "lucky losers" at various stages so it's basically a Champions League Consolation Cup.

Fuck UEFA

21 minutes ago, Don Shula said:

There are two qualifying rounds before the Group stages next season. The first qualifying round is mainly diddy teams like celtic who have lost in the second qualifying round of the Champions League. The second qualifying round is where the Scottish Cup winners enter. If they win that round they are into the Group stages which is 8 group of 4 teams.

The 8 Group winners go into the last 16 knock-out round. The 8 Group runners up play off against the 8 3rd place teams from the Champions League Groups with the winners also going into the last 16 knock-our round.

Just to emphasise how rigged this whole thing is it is worth noting that there are only 20 teams that genuinely qualify for this competition from the top 15 countries, including one from Scotland. In addition 37 teams drop down from the Champions League as "lucky losers" at various stages so it's basically a Champions League Consolation Cup.

Fuck UEFA

Aye its all a smokescreen when you add up all the teams that drop down from the competitions above. 

• 4 weeks later...

So we enter the Europa Conference League at the 2nd Qualifying Round stage where we will be seeded.

If we win that is currently touch and go as to if we will be seeded for the 3rd Qualifying Round or not, that should become clearer in the coming days.

The draw for the 2nd Qualifying Round takes place on June 16th with ties to be played July 22nd & 29th.

3rd Qualifying Round draw is July 19th.

Correction to my original post St. Johnstone aren't guaranteed group stage football.

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, Medw1311 said:

So we enter the Europa Conference League at the 2nd Qualifying Round stage where we will be seeded.

If we win that is currently touch and go as to if we will be seeded for the 3rd Qualifying Round or not, that should become clearer in the coming days.

The draw for the 2nd Qualifying Round takes place on June 16th with ties to be played July 22nd & 29th.

3rd Qualifying Round draw is July 19th.

Correction to my original post St. Johnstone aren't guaranteed group stage football.

My take on it.......

We are the 17th seed out of 90 teams in QR2

5 teams will join in QR3 which will likely have a higher seeding, so we’re then likely to be 22nd out of 52 and should therefore be seeded

Another 5 teams join the PO which will be higher seeding out of 34 teams, meaning we would then highly likely be unseeded for the PO round

2 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

My take on it.......

We are the 17th seed out of 90 teams in QR2

5 teams will join in QR3 which will likely have a higher seeding, so we’re then likely to be 22nd out of 52 and should therefore be seeded

Another 5 teams join the PO which will be higher seeding out of 34 teams, meaning we would then highly likely be unseeded for the PO round

There is a possible 8 unconfirmed teams that could outseed us in QR2 yet and potentially 6 from QR1 who could also outseed us.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Medw1311 said:

Hajduk Split have just finished 4th in Croatia and move above us in QR2 seeding.

So that's us down to 18th seed in QR2.

The loser of tomorrow's Dutch Europa League Play Off will move above us so 19th.

Belgian N5 confuses me as does Austria.

Copenhagen look like finishing 3rd in Denmark so they'd go above us too.

In Romania we'd want Universitatea Craiova to win the cup final, if Astra Giurgiu win it they would go above us.

Unless there is a miracle 5th place in the Czech league will go above us.

So yeah seeding in QR3 looks really unlikely, the only upside to that is we would take our opponents seeding in the PO round if we get through.

56 minutes ago, Medw1311 said:

So that's us down to 18th seed in QR2.

The loser of tomorrow's Dutch Europa League Play Off will move above us so 19th.

Belgian N5 confuses me as does Austria.

Copenhagen look like finishing 3rd in Denmark so they'd go above us too.

In Romania we'd want Universitatea Craiova to win the cup final, if Astra Giurgiu win it they would go above us.

Unless there is a miracle 5th place in the Czech league will go above us.

So yeah seeding in QR3 looks really unlikely, the only upside to that is we would take our opponents seeding in the PO round if we get through.

In summery we get a couple of rounds of a even shitter European qualifier before being papped out. Some of the teams in this conference are a better standard than expected. Fingers crossed we get some good draws!

With a favourable draw it is not beyond the realm of possibility that St. Johnstone could make the Europa League Group Stage.

It's possible that they could face 2 Danish teams - Brondby or Midtjylland in the Qualifying round and Randers in the Play Off Round.

1 hour ago, Tord31 said:

Saints need Chelsea to win the Champions League final and if so they'll be bumped up from QR3 to PO round.

I think anyway.

If Chelsea qualify for the Champions League through the league does that affect things in any way?

If St. Johnstone do get bumped up to the PO round I'd guess they would take (Edited) Belgian 3rd place spot and be Priority 1 for the draw where they would play a Priority 4 or 3 team.