Europe 21/22

55 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Both ties involve lengthy flights.....about 4 and half hours to Limassol, well over 5 hours to Baku. 

Wouldn't surprise me to see Limassol put Qarabag out, suspect despite the difference in co-efficients, there isn't a great deal between them in reality.

Fantastic chance to make the group stages but don't expect Breidablik to be any pushovers first.

We really should be pushing them aside without any problems. I'd be pretty disappointed if we went out to a team 4th in Iceland. 

14 minutes ago, RUL said:

We really should be pushing them aside without any problems. I'd be pretty disappointed if we went out to a team 4th in Iceland. 

I fancy us against Breidablik, but the AEL/ Qarabag game will be a tough game.

Fantastic if we can make it through both rounds though and arguably our easiest opportunity.

It would boost our co-efficient as well, helping following seasons to be easier as well.

Come on Aberdeen, lets do it.

11 minutes ago, RUL said:

But they are shite? They finished 8th in Austrian league. 

How did they qualify for Europe finishing 8th? Did they win the cup?

the top Austrian teams have done more in Europe than the likes of ourselves and Hibs in recent years… RB Salzburg seem miles ahead, but wouldn’t fancy us against the likes Rapid, LASK and Sturm Graz. 8th in the Austrian league won’t be far off our level!

12 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

the top Austrian teams have done more in Europe than the likes of ourselves and Hibs in recent years… RB Salzburg seem miles ahead, but wouldn’t fancy us against the likes Rapid, LASK and Sturm Graz. 8th in the Austrian league won’t be far off our level!

Bizarre setup they have for Euro qualification. The team that finished 6th were ruled out of qualifying for Europe, the team that finished 5th were in a playoff for the Europa Conference, that playoff was against the winner of another playoff between the top two teams from the bottom six.. so essentially either 5th, 7th or 8th would qualify for the Europa Conference, and Austria Vienna beat the 7th and 5th placed team in the playoff to get the spot.

7 minutes ago, Yorston Vasey said:

Bizarre setup they have for Euro qualification. The team that finished 6th were ruled out of qualifying for Europe, the team that finished 5th were in a playoff for the Europa Conference, that playoff was against the winner of another playoff between the top two teams from the bottom six.. so essentially either 5th, 7th or 8th would qualify for the Europa Conference, and Austria Vienna beat the 7th and 5th placed team in the playoff to get the spot.

Sorry, say that again? 

2 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

It really defies logic. In a 12 team league the team that came 8th reached European football.

They won a play off of sorts, not obvious why there is a play off. I agree with your general comment about top end of Austrian football being strong, but I guess that's similar to rangers over here just now.

For anyone interested, Bet365 are showing the team from Iceland game tonight, 815.

26 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Dinna get all defensive loon, just cause McInnes was an ex-Hun.

Qarabag have a higher seeding rating than Rijeka, Maribor, Real Sociedad and Apollon Limassol.

But sometimes the seeding can be based on former achievements. I'm not saying that's the case with them but I do think there's an element that people see a name in the Conference and think it's a higher standard than it is. Most teams in this tournament are teams who haven't had good seasons. You will get some sides who have had a poor season and have improved their side, I'm hoping we are one of those.

1 hour ago, RUL said:

But sometimes the seeding can be based on former achievements. I'm not saying that's the case with them but I do think there's an element that people see a name in the Conference and think it's a higher standard than it is. Most teams in this tournament are teams who haven't had good seasons. You will get some sides who have had a poor season and have improved their side, I'm hoping we are one of those.

Not sometimes, always the seedings are based on former achievements. The last 5 seasons to be specific.

Most teams in the PO round would beat us easily and have higher seedings than the teams we have been beaten by before in Europe

AS Roma                  Ita  90.000            
Tottenham Hotspur        Eng  88.000            
FC Basel **              Sui  49.000            
FC København **          Den  43.500            
Viktoria Plzen **        Cze  33.500            
AA Gent **               Bel  26.500            
Anderlecht *3            Bel  25.000            
FK Astana **             Kaz  22.500            
LASK *3                  Aut  21.000            
Feyenoord **             Ned  21.000            
Qarabag FK **            Azb  21.000            
Maccabi Tel-Aviv **      Isr  20.500            
PAOK Thessaloniki *3     Gre  20.000            
Stade Rennais            Fra  19.000            
Partizan Belgrade **     Srb  18.000            
Hapoel Beer-Sheva **     Isr  17.500
53 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Not sometimes, always the seedings are based on former achievements. The last 5 seasons to be specific.

Most teams in the PO round would beat us easily and have higher seedings than the teams we have been beaten by before in Europe

AS Roma                  Ita  90.000            
Tottenham Hotspur        Eng  88.000            
FC Basel **              Sui  49.000            
FC København **          Den  43.500            
Viktoria Plzen **        Cze  33.500            
AA Gent **               Bel  26.500            
Anderlecht *3            Bel  25.000            
FK Astana **             Kaz  22.500            
LASK *3                  Aut  21.000            
Feyenoord **             Ned  21.000            
Qarabag FK **            Azb  21.000            
Maccabi Tel-Aviv **      Isr  20.500            
PAOK Thessaloniki *3     Gre  20.000            
Stade Rennais            Fra  19.000            
Partizan Belgrade **     Srb  18.000            
Hapoel Beer-Sheva **     Isr  17.500

Not a bad draw. Handpicking I'd probably only favour the two Israel sides, and maybe Partizan