Europe 21/22

2 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

Are they any use? How do they compare to the Limassol that put us out a few years ago? 

1 minute ago, RedRichard said:

AEL not to be confused with Apollon - they share the same stadium though. 

Yep AEL not being as good as (historically) as Apollon. The expectation would be for Qarabag to beat them, but a number of higher seeds went out last round.

Similarly, we should beat Breidablik, but they were one of the teams to put out higher seeded Austria Vienna, so we need to give respect to ensure we qualify from QR3

31 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Agreed, but the path to the group stages is there.  I guess this is where Glass can prove he is a better option than McInnes. 

To be fair to McInnes,  in most of the years we played in Europe under him we have faced harder opposition in the 3rd round than we have this season. 

The Maribor game was unlucky, the pen was never a pen and should have stood as a goal, and that bobble over Lewis foot was a freak.  Also Stockley sent off for absolutely nothing.

The teams we've faced during the last 7 seasons (included tough 2nd round games as well) is quite unlucky when you look at the teams we could have faced:

2014-15 - Groningen & Real Sociedad

2015-16 - Rijeka & Kairat

2016-17 - Maribor 

2017-18 - Limassol

2018-19 - Burnley

2019-20 - Rijeka

2020-21 - Viking & Sporting 

The Limassol away game was disappointing after we won the home game, and we created so many chances in that home game to have killed the tie off.  Especially when you look at the players we had in that side. GMS, McLean, Shinnie, Christie etc.   Watching the highlights again of the away game and they were pretty good to be fair, we did have a couple of decent chances at 1-0 down and then they scored from an offside pass. We were still out at 1-0 mind you.

The worst performance in Europe was the Rijeka tie 2019/20 season, both home and away. It was the most pathetic, lacklustre, scared performance from a Dons side i've ever seen in many years. Especially the home tie where we were already 2 down from the first leg. This performance was the epitome of McInnes last 2 seasons.  

6 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

looks the best draw for us.

so are cheering on AEL or is it fairly even?

Its hard to tell

AEL beat Vilaznia of Albania 1-0 home and away

Qarabad beat Ashdod of Isreal 1-0 over the two legs.

So these teams appear to have had very tight games. Both managed to keep clean sheets.

Co-Efficient wise, it would seem that Limassol would be the easier on paper, but they seem to have had a decent season so far, whilst Qarabag have yet to start their season and looked leggy in their Ashdod game as a result.

16 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

Are they any use? How do they compare to the Limassol that put us out a few years ago? 

To be honest, since I've been here top 5 or 6 teams* very interchangeable. Bar the APOEL domination of late.

AEL last won the league about 10 years ago. Then APOEL won it every year until Omonia last season.

*Apollon, AEK, Anorthosis AEL, Omonia, APOEL

9 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Yep AEL not being as good as (historically) as Apollon. The expectation would be for Qarabag to beat them, but a number of higher seeds went out last round.

Yeah, historically.

Though last season AEL finished in 2nd, one point ahead of Apollon.

Regarding Qarabag, I was at the CL qualifier in Baku when the played APOEL, and APOEL knocked them out with 2-0 win having lost 2-1 in Cyprus

They were then drawn in same Europa group APOEL finished 2nd on 10 points 5 ahead of Qarabag, beating them 2-1 at home and drawing 2-2 in Baku.

APOEL finshed 8th in Cypriot league season after. 20/21

Based on that and my experience of both leagues, I'd say Cyprot league is a fair bit stronger TBH.

Hope that comes about with an AEL win.

11 minutes ago, Betty Swallicks said:

PCR test before arrival, test on arrrival, test before leaving, test when back.

Fuck that.

Naebody I ken coming here in last couple of months have had to endure this palava?

Are you nae vaccinated?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

Yeah, historically.

Though last season AEL finished in 2nd, one point ahead of Apollon.

Regarding Qarabag, I was at the CL qualifier in Baku when the played APOEL, and APOEL knocked them out with 2-0 win having lost 2-1 in Cyprus

They were then drawn in same Europa group APOEL finished 2nd on 10 points 5 ahead of Qarabag, beating them 2-1 at home and drawing 2-2 in Baku.

APOEL finshed 8th in Cypriot league season after. 20/21

Based on that and my experience of both leagues, I'd say Cyprot league is a fair bit stronger TBH.

Hope that comes about with an AEL win.

Surely then, should we prefer to get Qarabag (assuming we beat Breidablik)?

17 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Its hard to tell

AEL beat Vilaznia of Albania 1-0 home and away

Qarabad beat Ashdod of Isreal 1-0 over the two legs.

So these teams appear to have had very tight games. Both managed to keep clean sheets.

Co-Efficient wise, it would seem that Limassol would be the easier on paper, but they seem to have had a decent season so far, whilst Qarabag have yet to start their season and looked leggy in their Ashdod game as a result.

Cheers for the low down. Sounds like it's going to be a fairly evenly matched tie.
Cypriots at home first

Both ties involve lengthy flights.....about 4 and half hours to Limassol, well over 5 hours to Baku. 

Wouldn't surprise me to see Limassol put Qarabag out, suspect despite the difference in co-efficients, there isn't a great deal between them in reality.

Fantastic chance to make the group stages but don't expect Breidablik to be any pushovers first.

12 minutes ago, NEM said:

Nice one ?

Actually I had registered on this.

https://theasis.cy.net/koa/en/online/

Anti hooligan ID for getting tickets.

Just logged in thinking it had expired, but they have added new date through to July 2023, so I'll def get ONE ticket...

Have contacts though at Ethiknos Achnas, mate bides in a hoose rented oot by director's daughter, she's got tickets afore.

Also got fae a boy that played for them last season, but think he's gone.

Didnae need to show pass for any games like.

If it does come to fruition, looks like I'll be kept busy trying to get tickets like... ?

Will definitely get a ticket if it's Qarabag, already been in contact with boy I worked wi and went to games wi, Fuad, so nae problems there.

2 minutes ago, Betty Swallicks said:

Na. Qarabag are the better side and be favourites to go through.

They got to Europa groups last season by beating Legia Warsaw. 

Uefa rankings: Qarabag 72nd. AEL 205th.

Cypriot league is ranked 16th.

Azerbaijani league 26th.

Qarabag is that high as they have dominated that league for ages and used all their doggy chances (Celtic style) to hoover up points when being knocked out.

AEL have only appeared  in Europe a couple of times lately.

So you can't really read anything into those uefa rankings in that respect.

Like I said above, only 2 seasons ago Qarabag were comprehesively defeated in CL and Europa League groups by Cypriot team who finishe 8th in Cyp league last season.

18 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

Cypriot league is ranked 16th.

Azerbaijani league 26th.

Qarabag is that high as they have dominated that league for ages and used all their doggy chances (Celtic style) to hoover up points when being knocked out.

AEL have only appeared  in Europe a couple of times lately.

So you can't really read anything into those uefa rankings in that respect.

Like I said above, only 2 seasons ago Qarabag were comprehesively defeated in CL and Europa League groups by Cypriot team who finishe 8th in Cyp league last season.

Qarabag have got to the groups in the Europa or Champions League the last 7(seven) seasons min. Huge European experience v a team who only qualify now n then. They'll be favourites. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qarabağ_FK_in_European_football

55 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Both ties involve lengthy flights.....about 4 and half hours to Limassol, well over 5 hours to Baku. 

Wouldn't surprise me to see Limassol put Qarabag out, suspect despite the difference in co-efficients, there isn't a great deal between them in reality.

Fantastic chance to make the group stages but don't expect Breidablik to be any pushovers first.

We really should be pushing them aside without any problems. I'd be pretty disappointed if we went out to a team 4th in Iceland. 

14 minutes ago, RUL said:

We really should be pushing them aside without any problems. I'd be pretty disappointed if we went out to a team 4th in Iceland. 

I fancy us against Breidablik, but the AEL/ Qarabag game will be a tough game.

Fantastic if we can make it through both rounds though and arguably our easiest opportunity.

It would boost our co-efficient as well, helping following seasons to be easier as well.

Come on Aberdeen, lets do it.