Europe 21/22

3 hours ago, RUL said:

It really defies logic. In a 12 team league the team that came 8th reached European football.

They won a play off of sorts, not obvious why there is a play off. I agree with your general comment about top end of Austrian football being strong, but I guess that's similar to rangers over here just now.

For anyone interested, Bet365 are showing the team from Iceland game tonight, 815.

Seems they split into top 6 and bottom 6 after two rounds of fixtures. The top two finishers in the bottom 6 play each other, and the winner of that plays the 5th place team for a euro spot. I suppose it keeps things interesting, and everyone has something to play for at the tail end of the season.

9 hours ago, RedRichard said:

We're 151st . There is different data to wherever you've got yours, here https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/#/yr/2021

72-76th - a bunch of English teams with coefficient points in only 1 of the last 5 years each, ranging from a measly 1.50 to 16.00, yet they all sit on 20.113 overall points just because they are English.

What a shite system. 

15 hours ago, Millertime said:

What, by beating easier teams than mcinnes got?

12 hours ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Are Apollon Limassol better than AEL Limassol or Qarabag? 

12 hours ago, Millertime said:

Yes

11 hours ago, Millertime said:

Agreed

No excuses, easiest draw in 8 years 

HAHAHA! 

Hun mentality just like "the tims 9 in a row didn't count because rangers weren't in the league".

McInnes failed min, move on! 

2 minutes ago, Betty Swallicks said:

If (big if) we were to get to the groups how many points do you get? I presume you get points for every draw and win achieved there too?

Fuck knows the exact answer but safe to say if we beat Breidablik and AEL/Qarabag, and finish top 3 this season (or win the Scottish Cup) then the club will have achieved it's stated objective to become a Uefa Top 100 club.

Because that would mean group stages two years in a row.

1 minute ago, Andy_123 said:

We aren't as far off the top 100 place Cormack and Gunn are targetting as I thought.

One year reaching the group stages would probably do it. 

3 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Fuck knows the exact answer but safe to say if we beat Breidablik and AEL/Qarabag, and finish top 3 this season (or win the Scottish Cup) then the club will have achieved it's stated objective to become a Uefa Top 100 club.

Because that would mean group stages two years in a row.

And we'd have done it off our own backs. 

Freiburg 1 point earned and Union Berlin  2.5 earned on 12.256, Burnley 2.5 earned and Everton/West Ham 3 points earned on 17.585.

14 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

We aren't as far off the top 100 place Cormack and Gunn are targetting as I thought.

One year reaching the group stages would probably do it. 

On paper we have a great opportunity to, finally, reach the group stages.

However years and years of following the Dons, and Scottish football in general, tells me that we should take one tie at a time starting with not getting beat away from home on Thursday night. 

1 hour ago, Betty Swallicks said:

HAHAHA! 

Hun mentality just like "the tims 9 in a row didn't count because rangers weren't in the league".

McInnes failed min, move on! 

I still find it amazing some fans stick up for McInnes and think he was a great manager. He held us back and bottled any real challenge. There is a definite want about them.

Glass will prove to be a better manager after 1 season. 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Betty Swallicks said:

If (big if) we were to get to the groups how many points do you get? I presume you get points for every draw and win achieved there too?

We currently get 2 points for reaching the QR3

We'll get 2.5 points if we reach the PO round.

In the group stages, you get 2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw. Nothing for a loss, Therefor, with 6 games in the groups, you can get a potential 12 points from 6 wins, or 0 from 6 losses.

There is also a bonus 2 points for the group winners and a bonus 1 point for the runner up in the ECL. The EL bonus points are 4 and 2

2 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

We currently get 2 points for reaching the QR3

We'll get 2.5 points if we reach the PO round.

In the group stages, you get 2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw. Nothing for a loss, Therefor, with 6 games in the groups, you can get a potential 12 points from 6 wins, or 0 from 6 losses.

There is also a bonus 2 points for the group winners and a bonus 1 point for the runner up in the ECL. The EL bonus points are 4 and 2

2.5 if reach play off but how many if get to the groups and win no points? Nae still 2.5 surely?

54 minutes ago, Woody21 said:

On paper we have a great opportunity to, finally, reach the group stages.

However years and years of following the Dons, and Scottish football in general, tells me that we should take one tie at a time starting with not getting beat away from home on Thursday night. 

You say that, but Qarabag have a higher co-efficient than any team that’s knocked us out of Europe in the last 7 years (assuming we get past Breidablik). 

6 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

You say that, but Qarabag have a higher co-efficient than any team that’s knocked us out of Europe in the last 7 years (assuming we get past Breidablik). 

not so, both Sporting and Real Sociedad are significantly higher than Qarabag. The ranking is clearly not a foolproof measure of quality, useful to augment with their European and domestic league form of most recent year. We have a great chance, though if I was DC I'd speculate to accumulate with a key signing (#7) before the PO round.