Europe 21/22

6 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

Amazing nobody has come in for their manager/players this summer.  Kerr and McCart would both improve the grievers.

There needs to be a managerial vacancy for a club to come in for Davidson. Any vacancies that arise in EFL1, I think he'd be an absolute cert to land the job if he wanted, but would he be interested at that level beyond the big clubs like Sunderland and Portsmouth etc currently in there? Just a hunch, but if Derby get off to a poor start to their season, I think they'll punt Rooney fairly sharpish and could well look to replace him with Davidson.

I'm sure there has been rumoured interest in Ali McCann from both Celtic and Sunderland. And their right back Shaun Rooney was the subject of a £200k bid from Rotherham just over a week back but didn't match Saints' valuation.

6 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

Amazing nobody has come in for their manager/players this summer.  Kerr and McCart would both improve the grievers.

23 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

There needs to be a managerial vacancy for a club to come in for Davidson. Any vacancies that arise in EFL1, I think he'd be an absolute cert to land the job if he wanted, but would he be interested at that level beyond the big clubs like Sunderland and Portsmouth etc currently in there? Just a hunch, but if Derby get off to a poor start to their season, I think they'll punt Rooney fairly sharpish and could well look to replace him with Davidson.

I'm sure there has been rumoured interest in Ali McCann from both Celtic and Sunderland. And their right back Shaun Rooney was the subject of a £200k bid from Rotherham just over a week back but didn't match Saints' valuation.

All of these lads with 9.5 months left on their contract. I would guess if St Johnstone lose the EL QR3 and the ECL PO round there will be a fire sale in the remaining five days of the transfer window.

Zander Clark

Shaun Rooney

Jason Kerr

Jamie McCart

Liam Gordon

Callum Hendry

We debate whether we want to accept letting Hedges go for free but a club like St Johnstone should never be giving away value.

36 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

200,000 is fucking derisory

10 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

All of these lads with 9.5 months left on their contract. I would guess if St Johnstone lose the EL QR3 and the ECL PO round there will be a fire sale in the remaining five days of the transfer window.

Zander Clark

Shaun Rooney

Jason Kerr

Jamie McCart

Liam Gordon

Callum Hendry

We debate whether we want to accept letting Hedges go for free but a club like St Johnstone should never be giving away value.

I reckon Hendry will end up here, once they are eliminated.  As has been previously mentioned Russell rates him (which is a worry!).

Just now, Sonoftherock said:

I reckon Hendry will end up here, once they are eliminated.  As has been previously mentioned Russell rates him (which is a worry!).

£50k for Hendry would not be the worst but I'd much rather we signed a striker with a much higher upside given that we have so few players in the squad with upside at the moment (Brown, Gallagher, JET, Ramirez etc).

If Kerr or McCart were still there going in to the last two days then maybe we would come in to the reckoning for those two aswell.

2 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

In other news, either TNS are better or Viktoria Plzen worse than we thought. TNS won 4-2, having been 4-0 up. 

I noticed that last night. We would have been celebrating progress to the Groups at 4-0 last night if we'd ended up drawing those two. 

As it is ending 4-2 I think Plzen will probably get through.

10 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

I think if Russell rates him then we trust him. The side Hendry played in last season is a lot different to the side he would play in this season. We will create more chances. Hendry had a decent enough return, and that was him creating his own chances. Think he could easily bag 8-10 in a season for this new look side, which is more than respectable for a backup striker. 

50 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

£50k for Hendry would not be the worst but I'd much rather we signed a striker with a much higher upside given that we have so few players in the squad with upside at the moment (Brown, Gallagher, JET, Ramirez etc).

If Kerr or McCart were still there going in to the last two days then maybe we would come in to the reckoning for those two aswell.

As DD mentions, think we have to trust Russell.  He's said he sees potential with Hendry and that there is something he can work with... 

My own opinion is that I don't think he has the technical ability to play at this level (but I thought that about Cosgrove when I first saw him play!)... but maybe Russell can get a tune out of him.

Think a lot of Dons fans, expecting a superstar 3rd choice striker, are going to be very disappointed!  I'd still take McNulty, as a mobile forward option, off the bench if he were available on loan again.  I actually think we will do much worse with the budget available!

1 minute ago, Sonoftherock said:

As DD mentions, think we have to trust Russell.  He's said he sees potential with Hendry and that there is something he can work with... 

My own opinion is that I don't think he has the technical ability to play at this level (but I thought that about Cosgrove when I first saw him play!)... but maybe Russell can get a tune out of him.

Think a lot of Dons fans, expecting a superstar 3rd choice striker, are going to be very disappointed!  I'd still take McNulty, as a mobile forward option, off the bench if he were available on loan again.  I actually think we will do much worse with the budget available!

If the third striker is to be of low quality then all the more reason it should be a short term signing until janurary or next May.

We have plenty budget available for the first team and we should be able to afford three or four capable strikers once we've sorted out the squad a bit e.g. not carrying 8 central midfielders or players like Kennedy and McGinn who have zero minutes from first four games.

7 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

That's assuming that Hendry would want to come and sit on our bench, rather than going out and getting games elsewhere. 

8 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Hahah. And now it’s fact

Glass has already said there is no truth in the Hendry reports so he'd look a bit silly if he came back to him nearer the deadline.

A straight swap for Kennedy and Hendry as the fourth striker I could go for.

Still need a fast striker as a bigger priority.

£50k for Hendry as a 4th striker option would be perfectly acceptable. In that instance, he would mainly be utilised off the bench to give us a change of tactics if things weren't going well with our initial ones. Or to start in the early rounds of the cups against lower league opposition to give our main strikers a rest. 

However if he were to be the 3rd striker behind Ramirez and JET then I'd have a big problem with it (to me JET should be filling that role, we need a quick striker capable of partnering Ramirez or able to operate alone up front when required)

18 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

Bit of a stramash pitch side at the end of the game following Qarabag’s equaliser.

Referee eventually just blew for full time to get the players off the pitch.

Think some fans took offence to the celebrations

Na, the players went off the pitch due to an incident (racist I'd guess as a black player was kicking off at something and got booked)..

Not sure what happened in the celebrations but the restart after the equaliser went in was delayed then the players went off then came back on and played the last couple of mins.

31 minutes ago, Betty Swallicks said:

? ?

Yeah, I agree they were the better team in Larnaca, though I didn't think they were that great, more that Limassol disappointed.

Limassol did improve in 2nd and made some chances hopefully they can still go through.

The standard of that match gave me a lift if truth be told.

If we are up for it we should really be progressing into the groups against either or.

So five Scottish teams playing in europe this week for the first time in forever.

Who do we want to win and who do we want to lose?

Huns v Malmo - fairly straightforward to cheer on Malmo

Dons v Breidablik - COYR

Celtic v Jablonec - well its already 4-2 so it doesnt make much odds.

Saints v Galatasary - tough one. Would love them to win on the night but it obviously means cheering them to group stage football, and potentially europa league (Randers much weaker on paper than Galatasaray). I think at 9pm on Thursday i might feel differently but unfortunately it has to be GO TURKS.

Hibs v Rijeka - again tough one. Again, very reluctantly... GO RIJEKA. Would be good to see Hibs taken down a peg or two. However similar to Saints above probably feel differently when it goes to Pens...

8 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

St Johnstone letting all season ticket holders into their game with Galatasary for no additional charge. I was crucified for suggesting we should have done that for the Hacken game.

Only about 150 folk they are letting in for free though. 

11 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

So five Scottish teams playing in europe this week for the first time in forever.

Dons v Breidablik - COYR

Saints v Galatasary - tough one. Would love them to win on the night but it obviously means cheering them to group stage football, and potentially europa league (Randers much weaker on paper than Galatasaray). I think at 9pm on Thursday i might feel differently but unfortunately it has to be GO TURKS.

Hibs v Rijeka - again tough one. Again, very reluctantly... GO RIJEKA. Would be good to see Hibs taken down a peg or two. However similar to Saints above probably feel differently when it goes to Pens...

First time since last week is it not? ? 

Us and Saints through, fuck the rest. Goes without saying want the huns to lose the most they really need that Champions league cash

13 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Dons v Breidablik - COYR

Malmo is a given.

Celtic are through regardless

St Johnstone

Rijeka. Fuck Hibs potentially getting £4m

33 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Dons v Breidablik - COYR

If anyone’s seen Sunday’s Stevie May inspired highlights they’d be aware that StJ deserve our every sympathy and support.