Declan Gallagher

Will David Bates come straight into the team or is it too soon having just arrived this weekend.I think he could be a significant player.Andy Considine is going to be missed,he is a leader and organiser in defence.Declan Gallagher strikes me as a player who is great for small clubs like Livingston and Motherwell ,but is he a fit for Aberdeen.Ross McCrorie  fine footballer and enthusiastic,not a centre half.Willie Miller has said as much several times and I think he is right.Today is an ideal match to have,Malky Mackay and Ross County remind me of Allan Stubbs and St  Mirren a few years ago.Full of unrecognisable players and relegation material.Qarabeg was a sobering lesson on Thursday and I hope we get a good morale boosting win today.

2 minutes ago, graham said:

Will David Bates come straight into the team or is it too soon having just arrived this weekend.I think he could be a significant player.Andy Considine is going to be missed,he is a leader and organiser in defence.Declan Gallagher strikes me as a player who is great for small clubs like Livingston and Motherwell ,but is he a fit for Aberdeen.Ross McCrorie  fine footballer and enthusiastic,not a centre half.Willie Miller has said as much several times and I think he is right.Today is an ideal match to have,Malky Mackay and Ross County remind me of Allan Stubbs and St  Mirren a few years ago.Full of unrecognisable players and relegation material.Qarabeg was a sobering lesson on Thursday and I hope we get a good morale boosting win today.

Bates unavailable 

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Doesn't look arsed either does he? 

We will have given him the first contract in his career where he's actually earning decent money.

I don't think he isn't trying but it's concerning he's went so quickly  from a guy deservedly picking up Scotland caps (still makes the squad but that will surely change next month) into a guy who looks like a Championship standard defender 

1 minute ago, Ten Caat said:

We will have given him the first contract in his career where he's actually earning decent money.

I don't think he isn't trying but it's concerning he's went so quickly  from a guy deservedly picking up Scotland caps (still makes the squad but that will surely change next month) into a guy who looks like a Championship standard defender 

Just doesn't look like he's got any desire though. 

Couldn't even be arsed pressing to try to block May's shot today and he'd only been on a few minutes. 

Strolls about most of the time. 

1 minute ago, 1903Fitba said:

Don’t believe a good player just turns shite over night. He needs to get used to playing in a settled back four and having a reliable keeper behind him. 

The fact the team keeps chopping and changing doesn’t help at all. He’ll be alright I think 

Couldn't get into the team at the start of the season when he was one of the flagship signings. 

Played shite when he did get in the team. 

Dropped now Bates is here. 

Something nae right with Gallagher. 

7 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Couldn't get into the team at the start of the season when he was one of the flagship signings. 

Played shite when he did get in the team. 

Dropped now Bates is here. 

Something nae right with Gallagher. 

As I said. Needs a run with a consistent back four. 

It’s not rocket science. 

49 minutes ago, 1903Fitba said:

Don’t believe a good player just turns shite over night. He needs to get used to playing in a settled back four and having a reliable keeper behind him. 

The fact the team keeps chopping and changing doesn’t help at all. He’ll be alright I think 

Motherwell fans were saying he was shite last season. 

Gallagher has been honking so far. As others have said he strolls about at walking pace, slows everything down, doesn't look like he can be bothered. Comes across as someone who thinks he's much better than he actually is. He was brought in to bring organisation and a bit of steel and leadership to the defence. He's done the exact opposite. He's somehow managed to make us even worse defensively than when we had Taylor and Hoban playing there.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Taylor could have 8 good games in a row then everyone would lose the plot when he makes a mistake in the 9th

seems preferable to having defenders who are absolutely shite every single week to be honest. 

Thought Gallagher would be a step up though, so I’m not saying I told you so. Cause I didn’t. But he’s honking. As is everyone. 

Yeah, I thought he would've been a good signing. He was supposed to come in and bring leadership and the winning mentality we lacked. He's stinking the place out though. 

5 hours ago, 1903Fitba said:

When was he a good fkn player. That’s just made up shite. Same as that useless cunt we signed up front from Motherwell. Maybe looked decent a couple of times against us & that was enough to sign him. Only got in Scotland squad through utter desperation to find someone to fill slot & he was in a Motherwell team that was doing ok in league.

12 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Taylor could have 8 good games in a row then everyone would lose the plot when he makes a mistake in the 9th

seems preferable to having defenders who are absolutely shite every single week to be honest. 

Thought Gallagher would be a step up though, so I’m not saying I told you so. Cause I didn’t. But he’s honking. As is everyone. 

Load of shite. No chance Taylor had 8 good games in a row. Lucky if he had 2 in a row.

You speak some about of blinkered shite ?

2 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Load of shite. No chance Taylor had 8 good games in a row. Lucky if he had 2 in a row.

You speak some about of blinkered shite ?

For me, his good games would go unnoticed. We’d put plenty clean sheets away with minimal fuss. Not saying he was great but folk would go absolutely daft after a howler. 

we quite simply disagree on absolutely everything but it’s great ?

9 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Gallagher has been honking so far. As others have said he strolls about at walking pace, slows everything down, doesn't look like he can be bothered. Comes across as someone who thinks he's much better than he actually is. He was brought in to bring organisation and a bit of steel and leadership to the defence. He's done the exact opposite. He's somehow managed to make us even worse defensively than when we had Taylor and Hoban playing there.

I don't know if his negative experience at euros has really impacted his confidence. 

14 hours ago, Bamber said:

can someone tell me why we let ash taylor go yet kept devlin and gallagher? thats how bad he is 

The afc support were having fun with ambrose if gallagher was 1/3 the player that gallagher was then he would still have been better 

Gallagher has been absolutely horrific so far, but shouldn't be used as justification for keeping Ash Taylor - who was also honking!

• Upvote 2
On 8/29/2021 at 9:41 AM, thurso said:

If you rate ash taylor better than Gallagher I think you know nothing about football and won’t read beyond that bit of the post 

I saw Taylor play well in loads of games for us.....and not so well in some. And by that I mean that he did the basics I’d look for in a solid central defender.  

So far , albeit in only a very small number of games  I can’t say I’ve seen Gallagher play well , but he’s looked quite poor at times.  Too soon to write him off as a complete dud yet, especially as he’s not had the benefit of a regular ,solid , reliable partner in defence.

4 minutes ago, redone said:

I saw Taylor play well in loads of games for us.....and not so well in some. And by that I mean that he did the basics I’d look for in a solid central defender.  

So far , albeit in only a very small number of games  I can’t say I’ve seen Gallagher play well , but he’s looked quite poor at times.  Too soon to write him off as a complete dud yet, especially as he’s not had the benefit of a regular ,solid , reliable partner in defence.

Just go to three at the back - Gallagher can do the defending and McCrorie and Bates can bring the ball out from the back which seems to be Glass' preferred approach. MacKenzie and Ramsay can play a bit more advanced. Brown can sit in front of the 3 and cover when any of them push forward. The other 2 midfielders can concentrate on moving the ball from midfield forward instead of passing it sideways. I'd also put Watkins and Hedges up front and ditch Ramirez for a bit. 352 formation.