How Long Would You Give Glass?

2 hours ago, Woody21 said:

After last night which, I 100% admit involved a bunch of players linked to DM's watch as opposed to Glass, I have to speak up

Following what is going to be a painful last match of the season against the Huns, if Glass is going to be around for any length of time DC will have to finance a major, major clear out.

The only players, who played last night, who I would retain are Woods, McKenzie, Considine (as back up), Ferguson, Hedges and McGinn (as back up). The other eight have to go. They've had enough chances this season to show their worth and we now know that it's fuck all. Hayes is the biggest disappointment for me, a complete shadow of the player he once was.

Like I say DC's pockets will have to be deep to pay off a few underperforming players and sign a good few replacements otherwise Glass will be a lamb to the slaughter.

I'll get plenty of negatives for saying that, but I am right!!!!

The most positive quote I’ve heard Woody 21.   Can you get in touch with Cormack and tell him to get his arse in gear if he doesn’t it won’t be the Covid keeping the fans out of pittodrie next season.     It will be broken promises.  

55 minutes ago, Lan_Lad said:

Something that troubles me. Regarding which it wouldn't matter who the manager is.

So what if Hibs can't be caught next season either? What if they take 3rd again as I believe they can? They're not as bad as everybody around here paints them to be, they have some very good players and at least a couple of relatively valuable assets they may cash in. It's been estimated that if they decided to sell they could get at least £3 million for the pair of Porteous and Nisbet. At least.

Then presume they win the Scottish cup which would at a minimum guarantee them conference league football till Xmas. And an AFC estimate of that valued it at least £4 million. So that could give them a cash boost of at least £7 million which no one in Scotland outside the obvious two can come anywhere near matching.

And that's before throwing in however many millions they make in season ticket sales which will be a tidy sum too. Their fans are going to be enthusiastically signing up after that 3rd place finish plus the Scottish cup and that guaranteed Euro groups spot. They could actually have an actual transfer budget and they could develop into a very hard obstacle to overcome.

Bang on bud.  

59 minutes ago, Lan_Lad said:

Something that troubles me. Regarding which it wouldn't matter who the manager is.

So what if Hibs can't be caught next season either? What if they take 3rd again as I believe they can? They're not as bad as everybody around here paints them to be, they have some very good players and at least a couple of relatively valuable assets they may cash in. It's been estimated that if they decided to sell they could get at least £3 million for the pair of Porteous and Nisbet. At least.

Then presume they win the Scottish cup which would at a minimum guarantee them conference league football till Xmas. And an AFC estimate of that valued it at least £4 million. So that could give them a cash boost of at least £7 million which no one in Scotland outside the obvious two can come anywhere near matching.

And that's before throwing in however many millions they make in season ticket sales which will be a tidy sum too. Their fans are going to be enthusiastically signing up after that 3rd place finish plus the Scottish cup and that guaranteed Euro groups spot. They could actually have an actual transfer budget and they could develop into a very hard obstacle to overcome.

I'm not going to worry about other Scottish teams getting good because, quite frankly, that's what this league needs. I'd rather see teams like Hibs, Hearts, and DUFC etc getting stronger than watch the arse cheeks pull further ahead of the group.

If the thought of a good Hibs side worries you what you could do is hope that they get so good that Sevco and Celtic buy all of their best players and completely decimate their squad. It's exactly what has made Scottish football so great to watch for the last 30 years.

5 minutes ago, redcryptoknight said:

I'm not going to worry about other Scottish teams getting good because, quite frankly, that's what this league needs. I'd rather see teams like Hibs, Hearts, and DUFC etc getting stronger than watch the arse cheeks pull further ahead of the group.

If the thought of a good Hibs side worries you what you could do is hope that they get so good that Sevco and Celtic buy all of their best players and completely decimate their squad. It's exactly what has made Scottish football so great to watch for the last 30 years.

Unfortunately I see no way anybody could become good enough to challenge the top two. Though in saying that if someone became good enough to consistently beat everybody else as consistently as they do then perhaps they would at least be in touching distance. And who knows. Even they can have the odd contrary result.

7 minutes ago, redcryptoknight said:

Exactly 

We shouldn't fear Hearts, Hibs or anyone else getting better.  The more teams that take points off Huns and Celtic the better it is for all of us.  

The challenge is ensuring that we improve so we are in a position to compete, not worrying about anyone else 

39 minutes ago, shooftahmooftah said:

The most positive quote I’ve heard Woody 21.   Can you get in touch with Cormack and tell him to get his arse in gear if he doesn’t it won’t be the Covid keeping the fans out of pittodrie next season.     It will be broken promises.  

Will do Shooft, if I get a call from the club. Despite DC saying that the club had called thousands of folk last summer + spending my hard earned on season tickets for umpteen years I didn't receive a call. 

I really hope that club is waiting for Huns game to pass before announcing 1) a series of players, who are to depart +

2) a few signings to encourage the fans.

The pace of change has to pick up to encourage the sale of more season tickets. I haven't renewed yet for the first time in a few moons, and have no plans to rush. This season's virtual watch has been a honking experience to say the least ps fa telt Rob McLean he was a broadcaster, pish or what?

8 minutes ago, Torry Tosser said:

Has he scored for Shrewsbury?

Once or twice early doors TT, then benched the last few games I think.

Will be loaned out to National League before next season is out.

42 minutes ago, Woody21 said:

Will do Shooft, if I get a call from the club. Despite DC saying that the club had called thousands of folk last summer + spending my hard earned on season tickets for umpteen years I didn't receive a call. 

I really hope that club is waiting for Huns game to pass before announcing 1) a series of players, who are to depart +

2) a few signings to encourage the fans.

The pace of change has to pick up to encourage the sale of more season tickets. I haven't renewed yet for the first time in a few moons, and have no plans to rush. This season's virtual watch has been a honking experience to say the least ps fa telt Rob McLean he was a broadcaster, pish or what?

I think we ideally need to announce a striker quite soon to help calm everyone down a bit (provided its a decent one) 

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

No reason to get a “negative” for telling the truth.

We are rank & need half a team for the starting X1.

I think Glass’ post match comments bordered on delusional to be honest. 

Pre and post match interviews are about finding a balance between being realistic and not giving the media a headline. 

We were the better team and didn’t deserve to lose. I didn’t think we were great but played alright. It’s not his players, in fact it’s a total shitshow of a squad. Mental folk are having a pop at him. 

1 hour ago, DelMonte said:

Pre and post match interviews are about finding a balance between being realistic and not giving the media a headline. 

We were the better team and didn’t deserve to lose. I didn’t think we were great but played alright. It’s not his players, in fact it’s a total shitshow of a squad. Mental folk are having a pop at him. 

Yep totally agree. 

We can't judge Glass until he's had at least a transfer window to attempt to turn things around. I'm predicting Glass to shock a fair few on here with how well he does next season.

1 hour ago, DelMonte said:

Hibs won the game by being clinical. Both Hendry and Hoban had very good chances to score but fluffed their opportunities.

I'm not expecting there to be  any magical improvement next year, but we need to start by being more clinical when these opportunities present themselves

The sad thing is, a good chunk of the fan base didn’t want him to start with (I’m one of them).

He’s behind the black ball with some as it is.

We’re basically rebuilding a team with a youth coach.

He does need time though, & I’m not talking 10 games in to the season that some numpties might give him. 

I really hope it works out when he brings in some new players, but my gut tells me we might be looking or asking for a new manager this time next year if we’re 5th or 6th for example. 

Some new players in & a good start should turn some of the doubters around. Momentum is a strange thing, and can build quickly, either in a good way or bad. 

• Dildo 1
6 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

The sad thing is, a good chunk of the fan base didn’t want him to start with (I’m one of them).

He’s behind the black ball with some as it is.

We’re basically rebuilding a team with a youth coach.

He does need time though, & I’m not talking 10 games in to the season that some numpties might give him. 

I really hope it works out when he brings in some new players, but my gut tells me we might be looking or asking for a new manager this time next year if we’re 5th or 6th for example. 

Some new players in & a good start should turn some of the doubters around. Momentum is a strange thing, and can build quickly, either in a good way or bad. 

You look at Calderwood, Brown and McInnes;  they were all starting from good positions as their predecessors had left their jobs with us floundering near the bottom of the league. So expectations were low amongst the fans and the only way was up.

Glass has taken on one heck of a tough job, as McInnes did a good job in the main in regards to league finishes and cup semis and finals, and so the fans expectations are going to be high. But he’ll need 3 or 4 windows to mould his team. 

Factor in his lack of experience, and the rebuild he has to do, he’s going to be learning on the job, everyone needs to cool their jets for a year or so. But that isn’t going to happen.

A few early setbacks and the pitchforks are going to be out.

3 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

You look at Calderwood, Brown and McInnes;  they were all starting from good positions as their predecessors had left their jobs with us floundering near the bottom of the league. So expectations were low amongst the fans and the only way was up.

Glass has taken on one heck of a tough job, as McInnes did a good job in the main in regards to league finishes and cup semis and finals, and so the fans expectations are going to be high. But he’ll need 3 or 4 windows to mould his team. 

Factor in his lack of experience, and the rebuild he has to do, he’s going to be learning on the job, everyone needs to cool their jets for a year or so. But that isn’t going to happen.

A few early setbacks and the pitchforks are going to be out.

Agree, and the chances of him getting 3 or 4 windows (2 full seasons) is virtually nil. 

13 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Agree, and the chances of him getting 3 or 4 windows (2 full seasons) is virtually nil. 

He has to be given them. Otherwise what was the point in the appointment. 

For me Cormack has staked a lot on this appointment. He has to back it, regardless of the pain I think we may endure with this appointment. 

I think it was you who said that Glass was starting on a negative footing already in some eyes. When things go wrong those people won't be slow in making their feelings known. Going to be an interesting couple of seasons. 

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

He has to be given them. Otherwise what was the point in the appointment. 

For me Cormack has staked a lot on this appointment. He has to back it, regardless of the pain I think we may endure with this appointment. 

I think it was you who said that Glass was starting on a negative footing already in some eyes. When things go wrong those people won't be slow in making their feelings known. Going to be an interesting couple of seasons. 

Not only our fans, the press will be sharpening their pencils, desperate to heap pressure on him and force him out, as he’s not one of “them”, no Hun tendencies, unlike 3 out of his last 4 predecessors.

Glass' biggest issue is his connection with Atlanta/Cormack and people's distrust of them. 

As a result I think he's going to get pounced on every mistake he makes by a section of our support. Some people are already hanging on every word he says and trying to interpret things in different ways. 

I think some people would be more accepting and patient if Glass had returned via a coaching job in England or some other club not associated with Atlanta. 

31 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Glass' biggest issue is his connection with Atlanta/Cormack and people's distrust of them. 

As a result I think he's going to get pounced on every mistake he makes by a section of our support. Some people are already hanging on every word he says and trying to interpret things in different ways. 

I think some people would be more accepting and patient if Glass had returned via a coaching job in England or some other club not associated with Atlanta. 

That, and the fact he’s effectively a youth coach trying to rebuild a big club & completely change a style of play. 

My distrust is of Cormack & how much influence he has in matters. 

There will always remain the strong suspicion Glass is a puppet. The process thing was a complete fallacy IMO. 

That all said, he needs to be given time, but a lot of the fans won’t if he gets off to a bad start next season. 

Just now, WesthillWanderersFC said:

That, and the fact he’s effectively a youth coach trying to rebuild a big club & completely change a style of play. 

My distrust is of Cormack & how much influence he has in matters. 

There will always remain the strong suspicion Glass is a puppet. The process thing was a complete fallacy IMO. 

That all said, he needs to be given time, but a lot of the fans won’t if he gets off to a bad start next season. 

That's not strictly true though. He's not really a youth coach.  He latterly coached a b team then took a job as an interim manager of a senior team. 

Yeah he started in youth coaching as many do but he has some managerial experience. So you can't just define him as a youth coach. 

Questionable it may be, but still experience beyond youth coaching. 

22 hours ago, Dad said:

I mind when Del took over - we limped ourselves over the line for yet another pish season; then in came Willo and Baz and the scenery was a far sexier one (football-wise)

A big hero signed for defence already - chuck in McGrath, Zahovic and Dovbyk, and we've got ourselves a fucking party

See yous at Hampden ?

I would love to see us sign McGrath.

and Zahovic, why does that name seem so familiar……. If only we could see some of his goals……

• Dildo 1