How Long Would You Give Glass?

7 hours ago, Woody21 said:

Following Davidson winning one cup, and potentially winning another, in his first season in Perth how long should we give Glass to win a trophy?.

We haven't won a Scottish Cup for 31 years and, in fact, have won only one trophy, after penalties, in 26 years.

A truly awful record for the supposed third team in the country.

DC has high ambitions for the Dons, and so he should. However Glass has to meet these ambitions in reasonable time otherwise we will have to rehire someone else.

Question is how long should Glass be given to bring tangible success.

I reckon 2 years to bring a marked improvement, which should be measured by at least securing third in the league and reaching at least one final. Reaching the group stages of a European tournament should also be an aim.

Failure to deliver any of the above targets would have to be Glass's ceiling point.

The team is akin to the side Calderwood left... fixing that is going to take a couple of seasons. 

We can start judging him when the majority of first team players are his signings.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

Absolute joke of a thread.

Glass been here 3 weeks and Woodywoodpecker starts this.

Got the reaction I thought it would on a quiet Monday.

As was said on "Dad's Army", "you stupid boy".?

Finishing outside the top 4 next season, even with a rebuild, would be poor given how shite the competition is outside the duopoly. I think he deserves two full seasons to get his philosophy bedded down, maybe a final, then 23/24 genuine contenders for a trophy... 

9 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

We could literally finish 3rd this season with what he has been left. 

can’t believe folk would take 5th or 6th next season. Fit the fuck

Aye, based on a full season with players who are out of contract in the summer, players who were sold in January and several loan players who will be gone in the summer too. 

Next seasons squad will be a different kettle of fish. 

47 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Aye, based on a full season with players who are out of contract in the summer, players who were sold in January and several loan players who will be gone in the summer too. 

Next seasons squad will be a different kettle of fish. 

The players out of contract in the summer are shite.

The loan players are even worse.

Cosgrove was in horrendous form and we pocketed more money than he's worth. Scott Wright was coming onto a game but we barely miss him because he was constantly injured anyway.

No excuse not to improve next season in my opinion.

2 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

It’s a bit like the Calum Davidson thread.  It’s not what you’ve done, or even doing.  It’s what you look like you might do.  What you’re giving yourself the potential to do.

(and I obviously mean with the same club going forwards)

Aye thats a fair point and probably what @StandFree1982 is alluding to as well.

Would take 5th if you could see the direction of the club. With McInnes you knew you'd get 3rd / 4th but you also knew you wouldn't be challenging for anything ever or making any impact in Europe whatsoever

I think we need to see a new positive style of attacking football and a new mentality within the club. If that is evident then I would take a 5th place finish with further building next summer. If the football and results are rubbish then I think Glass and Cormack need to be scrutinised heavily

He gets the next 15 months for free probably. His card would only be marked down f he finishes out with the top 5.

He can however buy himself two years by winning a trophy, finishing in the top two or qualifying for group stage football.

He will have 4 opportunities to qualify for group stages in the next 15 months.

Win Q2, Q3 and PO in ECL this summer.

Win the Scottish Cup next season.

Finish 3rd next season and one of top 2 win SC.

Finish 4th or 5th in league and take us through the qualifiers next summer.

Glass has to be given at least two transfer windows & more than adequate backing from the man that shoehorned him into the job before he can be judged.

Without decent backing required then ALL frustrations should be 100% directed at Cormack &Cormack alone.

He gets the backing he should (like McInnes certainly got) & he has no excuses & should be treated accordingly. Even though McInnes escaped said justified treatment for far too long.

two windows & both or either of Cormack & Glass will be judged depending on which hasn’t (or has) performed as they should.

On 5/10/2021 at 10:17 AM, Hoofball said:

Davidson didn’t need to completely rebuild that St Johnstone team when he took over whilst Glass does at Aberdeen.

He needs two full seasons and the third is his defining season as his whole squad should’ve been assembled by then 

Yes, I agree they are different scenarios altogether. Tommy Wright left behind a club that had, relatively speaking, consistently punched above its weight under him; a fine platform from which to build. Conversely, we are in a position that needs an Eddie Turnbull-style clear out. 

22 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

We shouldn't heap pressure on him by discussing his managerial longevity only a few games in.

But given you ask, 8 years - that's what McInnes got.  It will take 2 - 3 years to make the team fully his own for starters.

With the cup disgrace against the hated Dungpee UShited, we have already blown an excellent chance to win a cup with Glass.

While it is an early opportunity missed, clearly the players at his disposal were not up for the fight and so Glass cannot be blamed for this.

21 hours ago, Ke1t said:

The team is akin to the side Calderwood left... fixing that is going to take a couple of seasons. 

We can start judging him when the majority of first team players are his signings.

I have said for some time that McInnes latter days had strong echoes of Calderwood's last 15 months (the latter of which was fortunate, as Brian Irvine so eloquently said, to have had "a European campaign that simply papered over the cracks of our true position"). 

I agree with you and others who state that it must be Glass's team completely before we can judge. If Cormack backs him as promised, that will still require a few transfer windows at least. I'd be happy with a place in Europe next season, along with visible signs of improvement in quality of fitba, while anything else is a bonus. After that, going into 2022/23 is where I will start to judge fully.

I agree that he needs time to build his own team and implement his own style of play. 

But that doesn't mean that he or his players should get a free pass for 12 months. 

He'll still be judged on the quality of his signings, his selection of the players at his disposal and tactics on an ongoing basis. 

On balance, I'd take a European qualification via the league position as an acceptable outcome next season.  Which means top 4 (5 at worst depending on cup results) 

35 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Yes, I agree they are different scenarios altogether. Tommy Wright left behind a club that had, relatively speaking, consistently punched above its weight under him; a fine platform from which to build. Conversely, we are in a position that needs an Eddie Turnbull-style clear out. 

While it is an early opportunity missed, clearly the players at his disposal were not up for the fight and so Glass cannot be blamed for this.

I have said for some time that McInnes latter days had strong echoes of Calderwood's last 15 months (the latter of which was fortunate, as Brian Irvine so eloquently said, to have had "a European campaign that simply papered over the cracks of our true position"). 

I agree with you and others who state that it must be Glass's team completely before we can judge. If Cormack backs him as promised, that will still require a few transfer windows at least. I'd be happy with a place in Europe next season, along with visible signs of improvement in quality of fitba, while anything else is a bonus. After that, going into 2022/23 is where I will start to judge fully.

P8 W1 D4 L3

Somehow reached the last 32.

You'd need to play 8 games, and winning the 4 ties, to even get to the group stages nowadays (pre this season). 

Hammered 4-1 by Dundee United in the League Cup. 

Beaten 4-3 by Queen of the South in the Scottish Cup.

Failed to qualify for Europe the season after. 

4 hours ago, StandFree1982 said:

P8 W1 D4 L3

Somehow reached the last 32.

You'd need to play 8 games, and winning the 4 ties, to even get to the group stages nowadays (pre this season). 

Hammered 4-1 by Dundee United in the League Cup. 

Beaten 4-3 by Queen of the South in the Scottish Cup.

Failed to qualify for Europe the season after. 

Exactly my point. Fantastic though Dnipro away, Copenhagen and Bayern at home were, we were also thumped 3-0 by an ordinary Panathinaikos team, held to a draw by a Moscow team there for the taking and were outclassed in Madrid and Munich. 

Don't forget it wasn't just those two cup results, either... We were knocked out by lower league opposition 3 times in 3 years and IIRC, hammered 4-1 by Hibs and thumped 3-0 by a Hearts team changing managers more often than a Gorgie tink changes his underwear.

In the McInnes era, that solitary League Cup, though most welcome, was also papering over a hell of a lot of cracks in the last few years of his reign. 

57 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Exactly my point. Fantastic though Dnipro away, Copenhagen and Bayern at home were, we were also thumped 3-0 by an ordinary Panathinaikos team, held to a draw by a Moscow team there for the taking and were outclassed in Madrid and Munich. 

Don't forget it wasn't just those two cup results, either... We were knocked out by lower league opposition 3 times in 3 years and IIRC, hammered 4-1 by Hibs and thumped 3-0 by a Hearts team changing managers more often than a Gorgie tink changes his underwear.

In the McInnes era, that solitary League Cup, though most welcome, was also papering over a hell of a lot of cracks in the last few years of his reign. 

Bit harsh min. 

That was a good European run. Dnipro,  Copenhagen and Bayern were all top nights, up there with anything we've done in Europe since the 1980s.

1 hour ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Aye, it was a disgrace to be outclassed by Atletico Madrid away (0-2) when they had shite like Sergio Aguero, Luis Garcia & Diego Forlan up front. 

Strange responses to this.

He needs to show signs of improvement or he won’t last. I’m confident he will but if we are doing terrible then you can’t just say “give him more time”. It depends how desperate the situation is.

Severely doubt that’ll happen, if we are up near 3rd while playing decent football he will be given plenty time. 

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Bit harsh min. 

That was a good European run. Dnipro,  Copenhagen and Bayern were all top nights, up there with anything we've done in Europe since the 1980s.

Oh, I'm not denying that. It was a good run and great fun being there as a fan. In context though, what I'm saying is that for every Dnipro, Copenhagen and Bayern at home, there were hammerings from Panathinaikos and Dundee Utd and multiple defeats to lower league teams like Queen's Park, QOTS and Dunfermline. My main point being, one admittedly good Euro run papered over many cracks and deflected from the inconsistency (top 6 trophy aside) of the Calderwood era - hence my referencing Brian Irvine's quote.

This is something which was replicated in the McInnes era, where an admittedly welcome trophy was offset by multiple (often timid) disappointments after it. 

• Downvote 1

The thing that’s slightly concerned me so far is the substitutions made.

They’ve virtually all been like-for-like, and a lot of them late. But that’s a minor wee observation so far. 

But I’ll not be judging him properly until the new season starts, thereafter wait & see how results and performances are, along with organisation (or structure) as Glass calls it. 

• Dildo 1

After last night which, I 100% admit involved a bunch of players linked to DM's watch as opposed to Glass, I have to speak up

Following what is going to be a painful last match of the season against the Huns, if Glass is going to be around for any length of time DC will have to finance a major, major clear out.

The only players, who played last night, who I would retain are Woods, McKenzie, Considine (as back up), Ferguson, Hedges and McGinn (as back up). The other eight have to go. They've had enough chances this season to show their worth and we now know that it's fuck all. Hayes is the biggest disappointment for me, a complete shadow of the player he once was.

Like I say DC's pockets will have to be deep to pay off a few underperforming players and sign a good few replacements otherwise Glass will be a lamb to the slaughter.

I'll get plenty of negatives for saying that, but I am right!!!!

On 5/10/2021 at 10:04 AM, Woody21 said:

Following Davidson winning one cup, and potentially winning another, in his first season in Perth how long should we give Glass to win a trophy?.

We haven't won a Scottish Cup for 31 years and, in fact, have won only one trophy, after penalties, in 26 years.

A truly awful record for the supposed third team in the country.

DC has high ambitions for the Dons, and so he should. However Glass has to meet these ambitions in reasonable time otherwise we will have to rehire someone else.

Question is how long should Glass be given to bring tangible success.

I reckon 2 years to bring a marked improvement, which should be measured by at least securing third in the league and reaching at least one final. Reaching the group stages of a European tournament should also be an aim.

Failure to deliver any of the above targets would have to be Glass's ceiling point.

I dont know about winning a trophy. But as far as things on the league front go-if we are struggling by oct/nov 2021 then his position needs looked at. Sorry for the cynical approach but I have seen this story before in the mid to late 90s early 00s with Milne and his woeful appointments. That period for the club still haunts me to this day.

• Downvote 1

Something that troubles me. Regarding which it wouldn't matter who the manager is.

So what if Hibs can't be caught next season either? What if they take 3rd again as I believe they can? They're not as bad as everybody around here paints them to be, they have some very good players and at least a couple of relatively valuable assets they may cash in. It's been estimated that if they decided to sell they could get at least £3 million for the pair of Porteous and Nisbet. At least.

Then presume they win the Scottish cup which would at a minimum guarantee them conference league football till Xmas. And an AFC estimate of that valued it at least £4 million. So that could give them a cash boost of at least £7 million which no one in Scotland outside the obvious two can come anywhere near matching.

And that's before throwing in however many millions they make in season ticket sales which will be a tidy sum too. Their fans are going to be enthusiastically signing up after that 3rd place finish plus the Scottish cup and that guaranteed Euro groups spot. They could actually have an actual transfer budget and they could develop into a very hard obstacle to overcome.

22 minutes ago, Lan_Lad said:

Something that troubles me. Regarding which it wouldn't matter who the manager is.

So what if Hibs can't be caught next season either? What if they take 3rd again as I believe they can? They're not as bad as everybody around here paints them to be, they have some very good players and at least a couple of relatively valuable assets they may cash in. It's been estimated that if they decided to sell they could get at least £3 million for the pair of Porteous and Nisbet. At least.

Then presume they win the Scottish cup which would at a minimum guarantee them conference league football till Xmas. And an AFC estimate of that valued it at least £4 million. So that could give them a cash boost of at least £7 million which no one in Scotland outside the obvious two can come anywhere near matching.

And that's before throwing in however many millions they make in season ticket sales which will be a tidy sum too. Their fans are going to be enthusiastically signing up after that 3rd place finish plus the Scottish cup and that guaranteed Euro groups spot. They could actually have an actual transfer budget and they could develop into a very hard obstacle to overcome.

Yeah Hibs sign players with proven goal scoring records. We sign Curtis Main. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Woody21 said:

After last night which, I 100% admit involved a bunch of players linked to DM's watch as opposed to Glass, I have to speak up

Following what is going to be a painful last match of the season against the Huns, if Glass is going to be around for any length of time DC will have to finance a major, major clear out.

The only players, who played last night, who I would retain are Woods, McKenzie, Considine (as back up), Ferguson, Hedges and McGinn (as back up). The other eight have to go. They've had enough chances this season to show their worth and we now know that it's fuck all. Hayes is the biggest disappointment for me, a complete shadow of the player he once was.

Like I say DC's pockets will have to be deep to pay off a few underperforming players and sign a good few replacements otherwise Glass will be a lamb to the slaughter.

I'll get plenty of negatives for saying that, but I am right!!!!

No reason to get a “negative” for telling the truth.

We are rank & need half a team for the starting X1.

I think Glass’ post match comments bordered on delusional to be honest.