Christian Ramirez - new #9

5 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

So say we get this guy & he’s good/bad/average 

Where the fk s the ambition from Cormack & Glass? Where are the signings with potential to not only do well for us but to actually have/increase sell on value?

We sign this guy & that will be all of Glass’s first FIVE signings that are basically zero potential for selling. 
Brown, Gallagher, JET, Woods & this guy. Are they all over 30 also?

Right now all these players actual stats are becoming the lesser of the concerns. More so is our fkn signing policy & what we are looking at/for.

Where’s the ambition, the exciting signings, the young ones with serious potential?

Oh , maybe Gurr is meant to tick one of those boxes? Or Robertson ?

seriously starting to doubt this cunt Cormack. I’m thinking he’s just as sleekit as Milne ever was, just got real hair & whitened teeth. Pure snake oil salesman is all I have come to see from his actions when he should be putting his money where his mouth is. 

Only actual decent rumoured signing we have heard about is McGrath that ‘could’ tick some boxes. 

That’s a bit of a rambling rant, but the general point about the age of the signings so far (& the rumoured Ramirez one) is fair.

All 30+
No sell on value.

Odd policy.

Just need to wait & see what the next few weeks bring 

6 minutes ago, Hoofball said:

Are these 30+ year old signing more to do with leadership and experience.
It’s all fine and well having quality youth but if the older players in the squad are spineless, gutless and lacking leadership they won’t help them develop.

Sounds very Craig Broon inspired that

15 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Sounds very Craig Broon inspired that

I don’t want Aberdeen becoming a retirement home but youth need quality, experienced player to help them and to learn from. Of the squad Glass took over none of the experienced player would even take responsibility for their own inept performances let alone help the younger players in the team when the going got tough. 

19 minutes ago, Hoofball said:

I don’t want Aberdeen becoming a retirement home but youth need quality, experienced player to help them and to learn from. Of the squad Glass took over none of the experienced player would even take responsibility for their own inept performances let alone help the younger players in the team when the going got tough. 

Gothenburg team had players around 28 years old and several young ones. Absolutely right to have a group of older players and the younger ones can do the running.

i love to see us hoovering up a lot of quality yung ans that can be developed into players than can be sold on rather than releasing them cos they ain't good enough for the 1st team

would save/ make a lot of money in the long run & would attract players that know we're a club that can get them the Big move

7 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

All the signings have been 30+ 

Who in the squad that Glass took over would you say was a leader either in the changing room or on the pitch. These players bring must needed experience and leadership which is essential, especially if Glass does want the team pushing for trophies

Our model should really be about signing young players with a future in the game (if we cannot rear our own ones) and who could possibly net us a decent transfer fee 2-3 years down the line. Signing too many 30+ players seems to smack of a short term fix. They'll have no residual value and will pretty much all need replacing at the end of their contracts, you wouldn't expect too many of them to get extensions. 

At their age they are a bit more costly wage demand wise. If they totally bomb, then we are stuck with old, expensive players that will be nigh on impossible to shift out. I really hope it pays off but tbh this wasn't the direction i either expected or hoped we would be taking when McInnes left

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo 3
25 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Our model should really be about signing young players with a future in the game (if we cannot rear our own ones) and who could possibly net us a decent transfer fee 2-3 years down the line. Signing too many 30+ players seems to smack of a short term fix. They'll have no residual value and will pretty much all need replacing at the end of their contracts, you wouldn't expect too many of them to get extensions. 

At their age they are a bit more costly wage demand wise. If they totally bomb, then we are stuck with old, expensive players that will be nigh on impossible to shift out. I really hope it pays off but tbh this wasn't the direction i either expected or hoped we would be taking when McInnes left

Isn’t that the model both Cormack and Glass have talked about tho. Buy youth/in house, develop and sell for profit.

Do you think Aberdeen need a short term fix? The amount of players leaving in one window, no head of recruitment and the pressure that both Cormack and Glass would be under if Aberdeen slip down the table. Would stabilising the club for a year or two whilst finding younger players to replace the 30+ aged players not be a better idea than signing inexperienced youth with nobody to guide them.

• Upvote 2

I think Glass is trying to get a good core of the team with plenty experience and at a less risk (on the pitch) age to make sure we start the season flying. 
I am pretty sure we will sign younger players but only if the initial price suits us. 
Really hope we start the season on fire and give Celtic and the Govan lot a real fright.

• Upvote 3

Not overly concerned that most of the signings or targets so far have been older. If you think about the turnaround in players we're seeing, we do need to bring in experience.

It's tempting some times to say let's rip the team apart and play youngsters but we could easily get ourselves into some serious bother in the league next season without a selection of players who have been there and done it.

If it continues in the same vein for a few windows I'd be more concerned. 

9 minutes ago, Sheeptastic said:

Not overly concerned that most of the signings or targets so far have been older. If you think about the turnaround in players we're seeing, we do need to bring in experience.

It's tempting some times to say let's rip the team apart and play youngsters but we could easily get ourselves into some serious bother in the league next season without a selection of players who have been there and done it.

If it continues in the same vein for a few windows I'd be more concerned. 

The starting X1 should have 3 or 4 experienced players.

But there needs to be a good mix.

A couple of youngsters, 4 or 5 around 23-26, & maybe 3 or 4 older heads.

If (not sure we’ll get a permit for him) we sign Ramirez, we then need 2 or 3 in the 23-26 bracket, players like McGrath at St Mirren, who maybe see us as a stepping stone after a few years, same as McLean, Shinnie did. 

9 hours ago, slippers said:

I think the important thing to remember here is that yes his stats look a little in decline but any striker we have signed in the past that’s been a moderate success Cosgrove and Rooney both had poor stats at previous club and were success stories here. Assuming he’s first choice but if he’s second I’m looking forward to finding out who 1st choice is. 

+1.

If they had a prolific scoring record that most want to see us sign on here they would be out of our affordability bracket. Sad but true.

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

+1.

If they had a prolific scoring record that most want to see us sign on here they would be out of our affordability bracket. Sad but true.

Nope, not true. Hibs signed Doidge and Nisbett. Both had proven scoring records in the seasons immediately preceding. 

And we apparently have a bigger budget.

11 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Nope, not true. Hibs signed Doidge and Nisbett. Both had proven scoring records in the seasons immediately preceding. 

And we apparently have a bigger budget.

Aye but if we spent 300k on a league 2 striker and 250k on a championship one everyone would be saying they are shite. ??

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

I think Glass is trying to get a good core of the team with plenty experience and at a less risk (on the pitch) age to make sure we start the season flying. 
I am pretty sure we will sign younger players but only if the initial price suits us. 
Really hope we start the season on fire and give Celtic and the Govan lot a real fright.

My god I find myself Agreeing with a reasoned and positive post from you 

are you indeed changing or am I ???

2 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

Even in a fantasy world there is nothing in any of our signings or rumoured signings to even dream we could compete or give any of them a ‘real fright’ & yes I include Brown in that lot. 

Some real delusional beliefs being put into this strategy of signing a bunch of basic ‘experienced’ players

41 minutes ago, Redtaz2 said:

My god I find myself Agreeing with a reasoned and positive post from you 

are you indeed changing or am I ???

I was pissed off with McInnes, couldn’t stand our approach to the game. It’s different now though. 
Everything could be a lot more positive if we give it a chance. The majority wanted change so give it a bit of time to see if the change has us progressing.

• Upvote 2