Christian Ramirez - new #9

46 minutes ago, Oregon Red said:

He is an international. Played twice for the USA.  I  am  also puzzled if this is true. The guy is 30, maybe he sees a season at Aberdeen and he plays good as a last chance to play in England for good money?

He’s made his money - he’s coming here cause he wants to play for the famous and win the treble ?

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, NEM said:

He’s made his money - he’s coming here cause he wants to play for the famous and win the treble ?

Ramirez is on $841,000, around 600,000 pounds ( 11,500 a week). Its quite a bit. He would have to play really well then gat a transfer to a top Championship ot lower EPL side to earn more.

Hay maybe he just wants a challenge. Or maybe the whole rumour is crap.

11 hours ago, Redtaz2 said:

Although this appears a done deal I recall we had bother before trying to get someone in that required a permit 

and that one of the cheeks spiked it by doing a similar thing just before us 

but if I’m wrong it must be age 

I may be wrong but you may be referring to Joseph Lapira? 

He was on trial at Aberdeen and the dead club, before us. 

Wouldn't have thought you would need a work permit to come on trial to a club in Scotland from the USA as there is no guaranteed permanency involved (i.e. length of working visa required, duration  of employment contract). 

30 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Wouldn't have thought you would need a work permit to come on trial to a club in Scotland from the USA as there is no guaranteed permanency involved (i.e. length of working visa required, duration  of employment contract). 

That is very well remembered. I was racking my brain to get that one as I only recall us being successful with work permits; Chalali, Nwakali etc.

Just had a quick google... another player who played for Bobby Clark

33 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

The Joseph Lapira that got a token cap for Republic of Ireland? 

1 hour ago, Tord31 said:

That is very well remembered. I was racking my brain to get that one as I only recall us being successful with work permits; Chalali, Nwakali etc.

Just had a quick google... another player who played for Bobby Clark

Cheers min?. Aye, as you quite rightly say, we were acting on a recommendation by the great Bobby Clark as Lapira was on the books of the team Clark managed at time, Notre Dame. 

Chalali and Nwakali are very good shouts as Aberdeen must have been successful in getting work permits for both on the basis that both had represented their countries at U20 or U23 levels and were open to progression to their respective senior teams. 

1 hour ago, slippers said:

The Joseph Lapira that got a token cap for Republic of Ireland? 

That's the boy min?. He got the Irish cap on the back of his Irish grandmother. Very unusual career he had going by what I've read.

An amateur who played college football in the USA who eventually played on a solitary occasion for the Republic in 2007. His career then tapers off somewhat, after being on trial at the dead club and Aberdeen , ultimately playing in the Swedish regional leagues. 

Winter was a bit rough here but that was MLS off season

Ramirez is on a team with too many good strikers. The dynamo are scoring at least 1 in every game but their defence is awful. They used to be the best team but after Dominic Kinnear left they went off the deep end and have never recovered. Every game was a sell out, not anymore

i do think he will be a success as he is very fit and he is a pupil from Russell’s training programme. The key is midfield, he needs the service. 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, TomballRed said:

Ramirez is on a team with too many good strikers. The dynamo are scoring at least 1 in every game but their defence is awful. They used to be the best team but after Dominic Kinnear left they went off the deep end and have never recovered. Every game was a sell out, not anymore

i do think he will be a success as he is very fit and he is a pupil from Russell’s training programme. The key is midfield, he needs the service. 

I was over in Houston in 2012 and went to a few games. One thing I noticed was there wasn't much depth in the quality of the players on show. You had Giles Barnes, Boniek Garcia and Tyler Deric as the bigger names, but Adam Moffat was a first team regular, a guy who struggled in Scotland and played for Elgin City and Ross County when they were part-time. 

As exciting as Ramirez could be for us I definitely have reservations about how good he is.

On a side note the BBVA Compass Stadium was a cracker. Sitting in the sun, drinking beer and eating pizza was awesome. 

12 minutes ago, Donmacca said:

I was over in Houston in 2012 and went to a few games. One thing I noticed was there wasn't much depth in the quality of the players on show. You had Giles Barnes, Boniek Garcia and Tyler Deric as the bigger names, but Adam Moffat was a first team regular, a guy who struggled in Scotland and played for Elgin City and Ross County when they were part-time. 

As exciting as Ramirez could be for us I definitely have reservations about how good he is.

On a side note the BBVA Compass Stadium was a cracker. Sitting in the sun, drinking beer and eating pizza was awesome. 

Timbers fan here. I agree as far as 2012..we had Kris Boyd!  But things have improved since then ( I do remember Moffat being a dick)

11 hours ago, TomballRed said:

Quality Service has been an issue for a while now. Needs sorting pronto.

Even if Ramirez does get a work permit he wont be here for some time as Houston are looking to bring in a replacement and wont let him leave until they have signed a replacement. Definitely wont be here for the start of preseason and will still have to self isolate for 10 days if a work permit is given and once Houston get a replacement.

Might well not be available for the European qualifying round.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/christian-ramirez-aberdeen-transfer-news-24318426