Christian Ramirez - new #9

2 hours ago, Betty Swallicks said:

Folk on here saying we should have paid money for St Johnstones 3rd choice striker moaning about us signing Ramirez and JET. 

Give the boys a chance ffs at least it'll be more interesting than Callum Hendry. 

Our third striker should be Marley Watkins and if rumours of Russell working with him in the past are true there is a chance he might come back especially now that he is out of contract. We played our best attacking football last season when Watkins was in the team. The guy's workmate on and off the ball was phenomenal and he hardly wasted a pass.  Can't remember a time before that this century when we linked up so well between forwards and midfield- Watkins/Hedges/Wright were great together and Jenks could take Wright's place. Watkins would create heaps of chances in the box for JET and CR9.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6
17 hours ago, Hagi's pubic hair said:

You need to give up on this age thing, if the guy is fit and healthy, these days strikers can play on at a decent level till mid 30's, yeah they may miss some pace, but they should be able to use the experience gained to compensate.
I have no qualms over this, all I am looking for is someone to put the ball in the net 15 - 20 times per season for a couple of seasons at least, he is still young enough to do this.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt, you should too.

I’m not on about the age thing.  I’m talking about the money Aberdeen paid for his signing. £ 250000.  Equivalent to £15-20000 30 years ago. Peanuts.   It wasn’t 2.5 million they splashed out on him.    (  I would like to see Marley Watkins signed up.   ).  

1 hour ago, Wee Alickie said:

Our third striker should be Marley Watkins and if rumours of Russell working with him in the past are true there is a chance he might come back especially now that he is out of contract. We played our best attacking football last season when Watkins was in the team. The guy's workmate on and off the ball was phenomenal and he hardly wasted a pass.  Can't remember a time before that this century when we linked up so well between forwards and midfield- Watkins/Hedges/Wright were great together and Jenks could take Wright's place. Watkins would create heaps of chances in the box for JET and CR9.  

My only issue would be all 3 strikers would be 30+
No long-term thinking 

• Dildo 2
1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Aye, the only young striker is Michael Ruth, & he doesn’t look as if he’s near good enough for the first team.

how come he's not good enough?

not having a dig at you but why are not producing youngsters for the 1st team,  always boils my piss when we keep releasing these kids that we've "developed" with no return 

we should be saving money for the 1st team by having 2/3 of these kids coming through every season to ease the pressure on the 1st team budget

6 minutes ago, Zander1903 said:

how come he's not good enough?

not having a dig at you but why are not producing youngsters for the 1st team,  always boils my piss when we keep releasing these kids that we've "developed" with no return 

we should be saving money for the 1st team by having 2/3 of these kids coming through every season to ease the pressure on the 1st team budget

Only based on him playing 11 games for Arbroath & not scoring at all.

He doesn’t seem to be pushing for a first team start, might change this season, but I doubt it 

5 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

He doesn’t seem to be pushing for a first team start, might change this season, but I doubt it 

Scored a nice goal in the Redtv pre-season week one montage. 

Played on the wing for Arbroath, who were obviously battling relegation. Didn't watch him regularly but that could perhaps give an indication as to the reasoning behind his lack of goals. 

7 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

If he can't improve and push for a start working with a striker coach in Russell he may as well leave.  

10 minutes ago, Sheeptastic said:

Scored a nice goal in the Redtv pre-season week one montage. 

Played on the wing for Arbroath, who were obviously battling relegation. Didn't watch him regularly but that could perhaps give an indication as to the reasoning behind his lack of goals. 

Aye maybe.

You’d think it’ll be this season or never maybe. 

If we do end up with 3 “first team” strikers then he might even end up being loaned out to get him some games at a decent level. 

33 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

I honestly don’t see the fuss about Marley Watkins. He doesn’t score enough goals to be considered as a striker. We would be better signing an up and coming younger player.

Personally don't think it's a coincidence that we were at our best with Watkins in the team. Him, Hedges and Wright played well together. There's clearly no mad scramble to sign him so think we could get him on a decent deal

What is the criteria in an appeal for a work permit? Would we just have to make a case for him being a key player? What’s to stop us using same principles on a European or South American player? It’s a bit odd as I remember claims being made that Morelos should never have even won appeal for work permit but he did. Is it the club or the SFA that appeals it? Who holds the power to give the work permit out? 

1 hour ago, Scotty_Toronto said:

Watkins can create.

It's not like we have that in abundance. 

I can’t even remember him with much assists at all. His strength was keeping a hold of the ball in the opposing half and passing to another player who passed it on again.

The least I expect from a Glass run Aberdeen team next season is a team who can control the ball and pass it well enough. 

Watkins was a McInnes type player as a forward…we need a better presence up that end of the pitch next season if we are going to be a serious outfit in the league.

• Downvote 1
  • Dildo 1