Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mackstar1903

"Official" Euro 2020 Song

Recommended Posts

Hi, I’m Steven and I’m 30 years old from Aberdeen, Scotland. I’ve been in love with rap music from about the age of 12 or 13 years old but I only started writing rhymes late last year and picked it up very quickly. Nas, Kanye West, Jay-Z, Jay Electronica, Kendrick Lamar and Wu Tang Clan are some of my favourites.

I’m not the biggest football fan in the world but as a young kid I was very much football crazy. The opening game of the World Cup in 1998, Brazil vs Scotland, was the game that got me into football. I still have fond memories of those times. I can remember being at school that day of the opening game and we more or less had a go-as-your-please-day, we didn’t have to do any work. I can remember running around my living room going crazy when Craig Burley scored against Norway. Even though it’s been about 23 years, I’m just glad I was able to see Scotland play in a major tournament. These are childhood memories that I still cherish to this day.

Back in 2017, I watched this countdown programme on BBC Three about the Most Annoying World Cup Moments I think it’s called and the “Don’t Come Home Too Soon” song by Del Amitri made the list. I couldn’t believe it. In my humble opinion… the lyrics are shit. Some people will say “Oh well they’re being realistic about it” but I had posted about this a few days ago on here (https://www.reddit.com/r/Scotland/comments/n70b3b/del_amitri_dont_come_home_too_soon_the_worst_song/), it really sums up how typically pessimistic many Scots are. I don’t remember even hearing this song back in 1998. I see it got number 15 in the charts. Was hardly a big top hit like “Ally’s Tartan Army” in 1978. And at least that one was a cherry little number. In my rap I had to add in a little dig to Del Amitri. You might be great musicians guys but “Don’t Come Home Too Soon” is garbage.

I mention Ryan Jack in the song as well, he’s an old school pal of mine. We both went to St Machar Academy. The Scotland team will really miss him. The very first game when I went for trials in the school team I was playing centre back alongside him. It probably took me a month or two to realise that he was really going to go on to be something. At St Machar we were very fortunate to have a great headmaster called Lenny Taylor who was also our football coach, was also the youth team coach for Aberdeen back in the Fergie years.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

If you're happy then good on you is all I'll say. No point being harsh. Nae my cuppa hot chocolate but fair fucks to you min.

Saw this recently as well. Thought it was a catchy wee number.

 

Edited by Roberto

Share this post


Link to post

If I was to guess where you was schooled just from watching your wacky Hop-Rap video, I’d say St Machar.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

If I was to guess where you was schooled just from watching your wacky Hop-Rap video, I’d say St Machar.

If you have to be fair, it's his best effort compared to the other videos that were created.

I listened to the whole track which is more that can be said about any Kanye West track.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Mackstar1903 said:

 

 

I like it. Can it be the official song of the hat Euro Sweepstake ?  I see a montage at the end of the tournament of cunts moaning about the team they got in the sweeper , giving me abuse but your song in the background of all the flack calming things down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Quote
2 hours ago, Roberto said:

If you have to be fair, it's his best effort compared to the other videos that were created.

I listened to the whole track which is more that can be said about any Kanye West track.

 

Thanks man. Aye, the words are really coming from the heart and soul and I really don’t think you will get that from many other songs that any Rock/Indie artists and even other rappers might come out with for the Euros.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Sooper-hanz said:

I like it. Can it be the official song of the hat Euro Sweepstake ?  I see a montage at the end of the tournament of cunts moaning about the team they got in the sweeper , giving me abuse but your song in the background of all the flack calming things down. 

Well here's the thing I don't have any connections in music or have a Spotify page. Just got about 300 subscribers. Motherwell Striker Tony Watt gave me a "Tune Bro". Cutting it for time to get it properly recorded in the studio but if I do I thought about adding in soundbites like Gemmill's goal in 1978, James McFadden's wonder goal vs France in 2007 after Scotland beat Serbia on pens to qualify for the Euro's

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Here, was Jack a hun at school?

He was indeed. I heard he said he was a Dons fan in an interview in a Match day programme haha

Share this post


Link to post

I hope your emergence on to the Aberdeen rap scene isn’t gonna cause beef with Fat Pat and Shy/ DRS

If it does, beat up Shy first!

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Mackstar1903 said:

 

 

Do you still live at home with your mother Steven?

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I hope your emergence on to the Aberdeen rap scene isn’t gonna cause beef with Fat Pat and Shy/ DRS

If it does, beat up Shy first!

Fat Pat? Haven't heard of him. Comedy rap?

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Do you still live at home with your mother Steven?

My Father actually. Is there a problem with that?

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Mackstar1903 said:

Hi, I’m Steven and I’m 30 years old from Aberdeen, Scotland. I’ve been in love with rap music from about the age of 12 or 13 years old but I only started writing rhymes late last year and picked it up very quickly. Nas, Kanye West, Jay-Z, Jay Electronica, Kendrick Lamar and Wu Tang Clan are some of my favourites.

I’m not the biggest football fan in the world but as a young kid I was very much football crazy. The opening game of the World Cup in 1998, Brazil vs Scotland, was the game that got me into football. I still have fond memories of those times. I can remember being at school that day of the opening game and we more or less had a go-as-your-please-day, we didn’t have to do any work. I can remember running around my living room going crazy when Craig Burley scored against Norway. Even though it’s been about 23 years, I’m just glad I was able to see Scotland play in a major tournament. These are childhood memories that I still cherish to this day.

Back in 2017, I watched this countdown programme on BBC Three about the Most Annoying World Cup Moments I think it’s called and the “Don’t Come Home Too Soon” song by Del Amitri made the list. I couldn’t believe it. In my humble opinion… the lyrics are shit. Some people will say “Oh well they’re being realistic about it” but I had posted about this a few days ago on here (https://www.reddit.com/r/Scotland/comments/n70b3b/del_amitri_dont_come_home_too_soon_the_worst_song/), it really sums up how typically pessimistic many Scots are. I don’t remember even hearing this song back in 1998. I see it got number 15 in the charts. Was hardly a big top hit like “Ally’s Tartan Army” in 1978. And at least that one was a cherry little number. In my rap I had to add in a little dig to Del Amitri. You might be great musicians guys but “Don’t Come Home Too Soon” is garbage.

I mention Ryan Jack in the song as well, he’s an old school pal of mine. We both went to St Machar Academy. The Scotland team will really miss him. The very first game when I went for trials in the school team I was playing centre back alongside him. It probably took me a month or two to realise that he was really going to go on to be something. At St Machar we were very fortunate to have a great headmaster called Lenny Taylor who was also our football coach, was also the youth team coach for Aberdeen back in the Fergie years.

That’s brilliant 

well done 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Mackstar1903 said:

Well here's the thing I don't have any connections in music or have a Spotify page. Just got about 300 subscribers. Motherwell Striker Tony Watt gave me a "Tune Bro". Cutting it for time to get it properly recorded in the studio but if I do I thought about adding in soundbites like Gemmill's goal in 1978, James McFadden's wonder goal vs France in 2007 after Scotland beat Serbia on pens to qualify for the Euro's

Those bits of audio would be copywritten pal and you'd end up paying royalties to the BBC or whoever . You should layer up your voice singing " We hate Jimmy Hill...," and make it sound like a crowd. Bouncing tracks I believe the audio technique was called. 

I love the track btw , Its a grower and a real fucking toe -tapper.

Share this post


Link to post

You should send it to Justin Currie of Del Amitri . He's a big user of Twitter . 

Share this post


Link to post

It’s the best Scotland euro2020 song I’ve heard 

Hope it gets you some pussy 

Share this post


Link to post

^ Or young Children (by the look of it) 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Poodler said:

It’s the best Scotland euro2020 song I’ve heard 

Hope it gets you some pussy 

Or cock. Don’t be so presumptuous about da yute of today.

Share this post


Link to post

Hooooolly Testicle Tuesday's!! 

If Bob Dylan can make a living from music then you can too brother. 

Got a lot of work to do to make that sound better, but there's a little something there.

Get some punch in your voice and believe in the tune.  And take your shirt off.   Let us see those big ol tiddies...

This is the benchmark.

 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, BrianFaePerth said:

Do you know Criptank?

Yes, we know it’s you 

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

You should send it to Justin Currie of Del Amitri . He's a big user of Twitter . 

Will do man. I've already tweeted the band page saying "Don't Come Home Too Soon" is shite

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

It’s the best Scotland euro2020 song I’ve heard 

Hope it gets you some pussy 

Well thanks man. I hope so too. For a regular guy I've done alright though.

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Watch it 

Not feeling it bro. A battle with me and Ransom FA could be money though.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...