Scotland 0 - 2 Czech Republic

Just now, NEM said:

I know you’re a complete mongo but surely even you aren’t defending Marshall for yesterday? 

That’s the way keepers play nowadays. If the ball breaks in between the defence and attack he’s there to mop it up. The way the ball breaks perfectly into the strikers path and then for the striker to execute that finish is unfortunate for Marshall I think. Too simplistic to just say he’s too far off his line. 

5 minutes ago, Sheepo said:

I would imagine Clarke will park the bus at Wembley with a game plan to get a 0-0 or sneak a 0-1 on the break. Tierney will be back so at least that will add a bit of pace to the back 3. He really needs to look at O'Donnell though as he will be embarrassed against the likes of Foden or Grealish at least the Young Hun has a bit of pace about him 

Surely play both tierney and Robertson but on either side similar to England in their first game with trippier

10 minutes ago, NEM said:

I know you’re a complete mongo but surely even you aren’t defending Marshall for yesterday? 

If you weren’t so thick you’d notice I was responding to Roberto with his own “if you’d played at a decent level” shtick. It’s gone right over your head though, much like Marshall yesterday. A lot of heads, actually.

However, goalkeepers are used more and more as outfield players now and expected to do a lot more with the ball at their feet so Im a bit surprised at the total shock some people appear to be in that a goalie was up the pitch and not standing in his line. While Marshall was quite far out of his goal I’m inclined to give the praise to the striker rather than slate Marshall for it. 

• Dildo 1
11 hours ago, DelMonte said:

So all keepers should model themselves on Neuer, a world class keeper who has probably been on the team favourite to win the game 90%+ of the games in his career?  It's a whole different mindset.  

A keeper who has found himself in a position where he needs to run back towards his goal for six seconds straight, and still not be on his goal line, has clearly made a bad choice.  It may take a lucky break and a ridiculous finish, but that doesn't excuse Marshall being in no man's land.    

As for the rest, clearly Scotland have some really good players just now, but they don't play in the positions where they can drag a team to victory themselves, and they really don't elevate the ability of the clearly inferior players in the squad. 

We matched the Czechs all over the pitch yesterday, but still lost 2-0 with Marshall making some decent saves.  That is because we can't stick the ball in the net.  We've got one player that has got more than 5 international goals - McGinn with 10 (and 5 of those have come in 2 games against San Marino and the Faroes).  We will never become a factor at tournaments like these unless we can develop better forward players.  Christ, our entire squad has 36 international goals to their name.  That's way less than all the other group teams in terms of a total in the squad and on a per cap basis for their outfield players.  

The future may be bright, but I don't see the young forwards and young keepers/central defenders that are going to have Scotland genuinely competing at the Euros or actually having us able to compete in World Cup qualifying. 

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

If you weren’t so thick you’d notice I was responding to Roberto with his own “if you’d played at a decent level” shtick. It’s gone right over your head though, much like Marshall yesterday. A lot of heads, actually.

However, goalkeepers are used more and more as outfield players now and expected to do a lot more with the ball at their feet so Im a bit surprised at the total shock some people appear to be in that a goalie was up the pitch and not standing in his line. While Marshall was quite far out of his goal I’m inclined to give the praise to the striker rather than slate Marshall for it. 

He's practically at the halfway line you gluepot ?

Great finish but the strikers not even attempting that if Marshall isn't in such a ridiculous position

4 minutes ago, Foster14 said:

So all keepers should model themselves on Neuer, a world class keeper who has probably been on the team favourite to win the game 90%+ of the games in his career?  It's a whole different mindset.  

A keeper who has found himself in a position where he needs to run back towards his goal for six seconds straight, and still not be on his goal line, has clearly made a bad choice.  It may take a lucky break and a ridiculous finish, but that doesn't excuse Marshall being in no man's land.    

As for the rest, clearly Scotland have some really good players just now, but they don't play in the positions where they can drag a team to victory themselves, and they really don't elevate the ability of the clearly inferior players in the squad. 

We matched the Czechs all over the pitch yesterday, but still lost 2-0 with Marshall making some decent saves.  That is because we can't stick the ball in the net.  We've got one player that has got more than 5 international goals - McGinn with 10 (and 5 of those have come in 2 games against San Marino and the Faroes).  We will never become a factor at tournaments like these unless we can develop better forward players.  Christ, our entire squad has 36 international goals to their name.  That's way less than all the other group teams in terms of a total in the squad and on a per cap basis for their outfield players.  

The future may be bright, but I don't see the young forwards and young keepers/central defenders that are going to have Scotland genuinely competing at the Euros or actually having us able to compete in World Cup qualifying. 

Yes, if that’s the way we are playing? He’s the best keeper the last decade by a mile and it’s the way keepers play nowadays. An unfortunate series of events exposed it but no one notices that 999 times out of a thousand because them events are so unlikely. 

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

Forrest was a huge upgrade when he came on. I said after the Netherlands game that he should start, he gives us so much more than O'Donnell. 

Baffling to me that McGregor never started too. 

Dykes just isn't good enough. The difference between him and Shick is huge and it won the Czechs the game. 

This is bang on. They had a clinical striker and we never. We were also pretty unlucky at times. 

Plenty to play for. 

• Dildo 1
25 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

That’s the way keepers play nowadays. If the ball breaks in between the defence and attack he’s there to mop it up. The way the ball breaks perfectly into the strikers path and then for the striker to execute that finish is unfortunate for Marshall I think. Too simplistic to just say he’s too far off his line. 

If that is why he is there, then he maybe would have been better served to go and attack the ball then.  He was after all closer to the point where Shick takes his first time shot than Shick was when the ball started breaking...  

10 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Yes, if that’s the way we are playing? He’s the best keeper the last decade by a mile and it’s the way keepers play nowadays. An unfortunate series of events exposed it but no one notices that 999 times out of a thousand because them events are so unlikely. 

Keepers are playing more advanced, but where Marshall was?  Regularly? And by that, I don't mean just the last minutes of a game when desperation sets in... 

I don't see that myself when watching games.  I find the view because the best to play recently had a certain style, all should imitate it to be way off.  If it doesn't fit their style, then you should not do that.  

Even in the game yesterday, I remember Marshall coming out and doing the sweeper keepering after a terrible Hanley touch.  His start point was way deeper, even though the play was in their half.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000x33v/euro-2020-scotland-v-czech-republic

57:30 in here onwards.  All Scotland players are in the opposition half at the point it is cleared, yet Marshall seems to be in his box.  

It's only 13 minutes in, but clearly the style is different and either he or the coaching staff has made a conscious decision to push him further and further up during the game, which was clearly a mistake.

17 minutes ago, Foster14 said:

Keepers are playing more advanced, but where Marshall was?  Regularly? And by that, I don't mean just the last minutes of a game when desperation sets in... 

I don't see that myself when watching games.  I find the view because the best to play recently had a certain style, all should imitate it to be way off.  If it doesn't fit their style, then you should not do that.  

Even in the game yesterday, I remember Marshall coming out and doing the sweeper keepering after a terrible Hanley touch.  His start point was way deeper, even though the play was in their half.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000x33v/euro-2020-scotland-v-czech-republic

57:30 in here onwards.  All Scotland players are in the opposition half at the point it is cleared, yet Marshall seems to be in his box.  

It's only 13 minutes in, but clearly the style is different and either he or the coaching staff has made a conscious decision to push him further and further up during the game, which was clearly a mistake.

I think that’s a total different situation. 

Agree to disagree, I think we were outdone by a bit of bad luck and brilliance. I can’t be arsed going on much more about it. 

10 minutes ago, Roberto said:

The Spanish keeper patrolled the area that was needed yesterday, not too far off his line despite Spain having the majority of the play in the Swedish half.

Defending Marshall for yesterday is wild. I'm glad so many other idiots, are on board with my idiocy of knowing fuck all though.

We are all wrong and a bunch of idiots. 

Took that one well. Idiot. 

• Dildo 2
57 minutes ago, Foster14 said:

Wait, you’re saying goalkeepers shouldn’t model themselves on World Class goalkeepers? Are they to aspire to be less? 

18 minutes ago, Roberto said:

The Spanish keeper patrolled the area that was needed yesterday, not too far off his line despite Spain having the majority of the play in the Swedish half.

Defending Marshall for yesterday is wild. I'm glad so many other idiots, are on board with my idiocy of knowing fuck all though.

We are all wrong and a bunch of idiots. 

Oyah fucker, still going ??‍♂️

• Dildo 1
2 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Wait, you’re saying goalkeepers shouldn’t model themselves on World Class goalkeepers? Are they to aspire to be less? 

Clearly not saying that.  There were two aspects to what I was saying.  

Firstly, looking at how a keeper plays in a team that continually wins and is the favourite can be very different to how a keeper plays as an underdog or in an evenly matched game.  

Secondly, just because Neuer is world class because he has these characteristics, doesn't mean that he is the only world class keeper, and the only type of keeper that can be world class.  Plenty world class keepers are less aggressive in style than Neuer.  If you don't have the characteristics to replicate it, doesn't mean that you should try and install it in a 35+ goalkeeper.

My view is that it is complete whataboutery to say that this wasn't a fuck up by who ever made the decision to have Marshall so far up the pitch (Marshall himself, or coaching staff), because Neuer does it.  

1 hour ago, Foster14 said:

Maybe he was simply experiencing a bout of narcolepsy and never realised he was so far out of his goal until it was all too late.

Just a theory though.

Marshall is 100% at fault for that goal. It doesnt matter how brilliant the striker is if marshall is in the correct position eg near his fucking goal then no striker in the world is scoring from that position. Goalkeeper job is to keep the ball out the goal. Not get up the pitch and support the attack. ffs its primary school stuff. Cunt should be dropped for the next game. 

• Upvote 3
  • Dildo 1
15 minutes ago, Sheepo said:

Could you imagine the pant pishing on here if Joe Lewis got caught in a position like that and lost a goal

Joe Lewis flung a few into his own net last season far worse than that.

Yes, Marshall was too far out - but he could have been in that position maybe 500 times and on only 1 occassion would it end in a goal. Basically, if the boy Hendry hadn't tried a ridiculous shot from 35 yards (although I may have done the same rather than pass to the utterly useless O'Donnell even though he was in acres of space), and if the ball hadn't rebounded off the defender at the exact angle and speed into the path of the striker, and if he hadn't caught it anything less than 100% perfect as he did, then it wouldn't have been a goal. So aye, he was at fault, but 499 times out of 500 that doesn't end in a goal.

On the flip side he made some very good stops in the game. I can't see Clarke dropping him... unless Marshall's seen all the media stuff and it's affected his confidence.

The big thing we need to do on Friday is take any opportunities we get to have any chance of getting anything out the game. I think England will score, so we'll need to score too, and it's highly unlikely we'll create anywhere near as many chances as we did against the Czechs, so we need to be much more clinical. Adams definitely has to be in ahead of Dykes.

21 minutes ago, Singapore Steve said:

If Mckenna and Gallagher has started, do we still loose this game ?

Possible that either of them makes a clearing header for the first and a good chance that due to his lack of speed, Gallagher is further back for the second and mops up instead of an aimless shot. 

To be fair I don't think many Centre halves would be trying to shoot from 30 Yards like Hendry, so 99% of the time any other centre half would have played the easy pass to SOD

On 6/14/2021 at 5:18 PM, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Fuck knows what the English cunts will do.

Whipping boys & nil points coming.

On 6/14/2021 at 5:22 PM, Torry Tosser said:

Scottish fitba years behind.

Fuck knows what the English cunts do to us.?

On 6/14/2021 at 6:04 PM, Ten Caat said:

I fear for what England might do to us.

On 6/14/2021 at 6:21 PM, Kincardine_Mearns_Red said:

The Guffs will take 6 or 7 off them 

On 6/14/2021 at 6:33 PM, Singapore Steve said:

England v Sco + 3 goals scored  is my wager.

Were the whipping boys now. England will go at us to get goals.   I fear the worst.

Gype fest.

On 6/14/2021 at 9:58 PM, muttonhumper said:

England are mediocre pish.
Emphasised in their match v Croatia.

Behind 6 or 7 teams in that competition, and as per usual, will be binned the moment they face a decent one.

They are  a mediocre, middling European football nation going by their performance yesterday.

Average at best, and they certainly never beat us easily.

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo 1
4 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

^ "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."

Not at all.

Those above were just being hysterically despondent based on idiotic beliefs that England are some world beating side, when clearly, based on their performance on Sunday and underlined by their ineffectiveness tonight, they are nowhere near this.
You thick guffy cunt.

• Upvote 3
  • Dildo 2