Sign in to follow this  
Roberto

Scotland 0 - 0 England

15 hours ago, Tord31 said:

If we play for a 0-0 i think we'll not be that bad. 0-0, 1-0, 1-1 or 0-1.

If we attempt to attack we'll be fucked

I totally disagree. Our defence is pretty mince, even with Tierney in it. Sitting back and letting England come at us would be a disaster.....they'd could put 3 or 4 past us.

Having a go at them is our only chance. Their defence are no great shakes either. I think we would need to score at least 2 goals to take anything from the game no matter what so we might as give it a go. If we somehow manage to take the lead, I do expect Clarke to try to shut up shop though.

Just took a lookie at MacBookie.......we are 17/2 to win (England 3/10, draw at 17/4). 

Yeah, a Czech victory over Croatia blows it wide open. Can't see it happening, but it's possible of course.

I've changed my mind a lot on the formation and team we should play - it possibly depends on whether Tierney is fit but if he is how about...

Marshall

Patterson   Cooper    Hanley   Tierney    Robertson

Armstrong   McTominay  Gilmour  McGinn

Adams

That midfield 4 should be able to compete with the England midfielders and guys like Armstrong and McGinn have the energy to get forward to support Adams. The worry is Patterson due to his inexperience, but I'd give him a go instead of O'Donnell who will get totally destroyed if he plays. Cooper is left sided but I'd still rather have him in at RCB than Hendry as he's played against all these guys for Leeds. If Tierney misses out, could bring in either Hendry or Gallagher - Hendry probably has a bit more pace. 

Posted (edited)

Agree with that.  McKenna in with Tierney coming to the right would be another possibility.

we can’t shit fest it as they have too much firepower but we can’t be going hung ho at them either.

oh, and I’m firmly on the not convinced by Mctominay bus also.

Edited by strachanmcgheegoal

I would go with 

Marshall

Gallagher McKenna Thierney 

Paterson Christie McGinn Fraser Robertson 

Adams Nisbet

• Downvote 1

Absolutely have to play Gilmour. He’s clearly ridiculously talented and looks after the ball better than any other player we have. 

He won’t play and we will regret it. Plenty to play for but Clarke is standing in the way of us doing very well. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

I would go with 

Marshall

Adams Nisbet

I reckon that lineup concedes at least 5 goals, and probably doesn't get into their penalty box in the whole game. I really think we need to play as many guys playing in the EPL as possible, and get 4 in the midfield who can all defend but with a couple of them able to get forward when possible (Armstrong and McGinn).

Like i said earlier though, I've changed my mind on the best lineup and formation a heap of times already, so probably will again before Friday!

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo on Bonnet 1

1 minute ago, DelMonte said:

Absolutely have to play Gilmour. He’s clearly ridiculously talented and looks after the ball better than any other player we have. 

He won’t play and we will regret it. Plenty to play for but Clarke is standing in the way of us doing very well. 

I'm really hoping he'll play Gilmour on Friday (instead of Christie), and fingers crossed Tierney is fit too (instead of Hendry). I hope he ditches O'Donnell as well - guaranteed he'll be targetted and found wanting if he plays. I'm sure Patterson would be targetted if he plays instead but he has a bit more pace and might rise to the occasion. I'm not sure there are any other real options on the right as I doubt he'd use Fraser or Forrest there given that we'll likely be doing more defending than attacking. The only other possibility is someone like Armstrong on the right. 

Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing exactly the same team as Monday, but with Adams in for Dykes. That's the kind of manager he is. Probably make more changes for the game against Croatia, and we'll put in an epic performance, win, but not by enough to go through, and then wonder what might've been if we'd tried some of these players in the earlier games!

5 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

I would go with 

Marshall

Adams Nisbet

Clueless. 

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo on Bonnet 1

Kane, Sterling, Foden against our defence, whatever the combo? Disaster.

Defeat by a couple.

3 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/19374922.tell-wrong-steve-clarke-backs-stephen-odonnell-amid-growing-calls-nathan-patterson-start/

This a major concern and tells we have a huge problem, if our coach couldn't see that there was an issue with Stephen O'Donnells performance.

Craig Brown MK II ... guys like this are why Scotland is where it is, he'll definitely play O'Donnell just to prove a point!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, alscotoz said:

Kane, Sterling, Foden against our defence, whatever the combo? Disaster.

Defeat by a couple.

Hope it’s them 3 and not Grealish.

24 minutes ago, davieb said:

Craig Brown MK II ... guys like this are why Scotland is where it is, he'll definitely play O'Donnell just to prove a point!

I have been saying this about Clarke for a while now. 
The old SFA mantra of coaching is to defend first and kill the enjoyment out of the game. Clarke is definitely in that mould ( extremely similar to McInnes) .

The team I picked above was only chosen because of its about the best for attacking. No one expects us to win the Euros so let’s go out and really have a go at teams and see what happens. The way we normally play will have us out after the 3 games anyway.

• Upvote 1

It's a difficult one - solid (boring) tactical coaches like Brown and Clarke are the ones that have got us qualified for tournaments. 

I think Clarke has at least created a platform to build on. We've a decent core to the side with guys like Cooper, Tierney, Robertson, McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour, Fraser, Adams etc - there's two or three youngsters like Patterson coming through as well. Looking ahead we will need to source a top GK - the era of McGregor, Gordon and Marshall will be over after this competition. We need to sort out the right wing back position, and we need to find a top striker. I think we're two or three players short of having a team that can compete at this level. Obviously need these players to be on form and find a balance between staying solid and attacking. To be fair to Clarke, we created more chances in that Czech game than I ever dreamt we would, and more than i ever remember us creating in a big game. 

• Solidarity 1

2 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

It's a difficult one - solid (boring) tactical coaches like Brown and Clarke are the ones that have got us qualified for tournaments

I think Clarke has at least created a platform to build on. We've a decent core to the side with guys like Cooper, Tierney, Robertson, McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour, Fraser, Adams etc - there's two or three youngsters like Patterson coming through as well. Looking ahead we will need to source a top GK - the era of McGregor, Gordon and Marshall will be over after this competition. We need to sort out the right wing back position, and we need to find a top striker. I think we're two or three players short of having a team that can compete at this level. Obviously need these players to be on form and find a balance between staying solid and attacking. To be fair to Clarke, we created more chances in that Czech game than I ever dreamt we would, and more than i ever remember us creating in a big game. 

Clarke was extremely lucky, he had a back-door route through the Nations League that no other previous manager had, even then we almost fucked it up!

7 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/19374922.tell-wrong-steve-clarke-backs-stephen-odonnell-amid-growing-calls-nathan-patterson-start/

This a major concern and tells we have a huge problem, if our coach couldn't see that there was an issue with Stephen O'Donnells performance.

It wouldn't serve him well to slate the player publicly. He's a decent football manager, of course he saw what we all saw with O Donnell on Monday, but he's not going to say that. 

Unfortunately I think he'll still pick him tomorrow. 

11 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

It wouldn't serve him well to slate the player publicly. He's a decent football manager, of course he saw what we all saw with O Donnell on Monday, but he's not going to say that. 

Unfortunately I think he'll still pick him tomorrow. 

Those two statements don’t really marry up 

11 minutes ago, NEM said:

Those two statements don’t really marry up 

He'll stick pick him because he trusts him to do a decent job based on previous games, and because the alternative has never played in a game where he's on the back foot for 90mins.

I thought O'Donnell was poor on Monday, but there are no good choices.

1 hour ago, davieb said:

Clarke was extremely lucky, he had a back-door route through the Nations League that no other previous manager had, even then we almost fucked it up!

A terrible "take"

28 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

It wouldn't serve him well to slate the player publicly.

Of course. Anyone expecting differently is a simpleton. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ramandu said:

He'll stick pick him because he trusts him to do a decent job based on previous games, and because the alternative has never played in a game where he's on the back foot for 90mins.

I thought O'Donnell was poor on Monday, but there are no good choices.

Kinda agree.

I always felt the england game was the game O'Donnell should play. I'd have played Forrest on Monday though.
Given how bad O'Donnell was, I'd considering throwing in Patterson tomorrow now. 

In the absence of an obvious centre forward a mobile type that can hold the ball up that basically makes us better than the sum of our parts will suffice.  A bit like Wales, or the job Watkins did for AFC.

im no lover of Dykes but I see what they think he brings and I can’t see anyone else doing it.

We need that short amount of time required to get the width and the quality we do have in the middle up the park.

If I’m an opponent I’m setting up to specifically stop us doing that.  Us Setting up to defend then just plays right into that. See D McInnes for details.

We already know O’Donnell will play shite. Even if we play Patterson and he’s shite as well, how are we any worse off?

Give the kid a chance. He’s going to be Scotland’s RB of the future by the look of things, be as well get him up and running now while not resulting in a drop off in quality from someone else.

32 minutes ago, Parklife said:

A terrible "take"

Aye sure 😂

How many times did we play those world soccer giants Israel, not to mention the matches that required penalties to settle?

It's almost as bad as the CL parachute to EL, never in a million years did we deserve to qualify.

11 minutes ago, davieb said:

Aye sure 😂

How many times did we play those world soccer giants Israel, not to mention the matches that required penalties to settle?

It's almost as bad as the CL parachute to EL, never in a million years did we deserve to qualify.

We had to go away and win a one off tie in serbia (who themselves had done the same vs Norway). 

Fuck all "lucky" about that win either. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

We already know O’Donnell will play shite. Even if we play Patterson and he’s shite as well, how are we any worse off?

Give the kid a chance. He’s going to be Scotland’s RB of the future by the look of things, be as well get him up and running now while not resulting in a drop off in quality from someone else.

Totally agree.

It was always going to be a long shot that we would get out of the group stages. Even if we do, the last 16 would surely be our limit. Any further would be a freakish outcome although obviously very welcome.

We do have a fairly young squad and a good number of them will be viable for the World Cup (already started) and the following European Championships (fuck knows where our next goalkeeper is coming from though). It would surely be best all round to now give both Gilmour and Patterson genuine competitive experience with an eye to both those coming campaigns. Patterson might find himself a bit exposed for sure but I honestly cannot see his inclusion being any worse than persevering with a totally out of his depth O'Donnell. Patterson might also be out of his depth but at least he is swimming towards shore. O'Donnell is drowning.

Gilmour is just class. He might have to leave Chelsea sooner rather than later in order to get a regular game but outwith the top 6 in England, he'd be a regular starter in any other club in that league. Who he should replace is a more difficult choice......it would either be Christie or Armstrong presumably. For me it should be Christie, pushing McTominay further forward allowing Gilmour to pick up the ball deep and dictating the tempo of our game. But if it were Armstrong, I couldn't argue against it. But fgs just get him in somehow

Edited by Ten Caat

30 minutes ago, Parklife said:

We had to go away and win a one off tie in serbia (who themselves had done the same vs Norway). 

Fuck all "lucky" about that win either. 

5-4 on penalties ... "fuck all lucky about that win" 😂

Patterson might be similar to Mcnaughton if they think a trouncing might affect him long term.  I’m especially wary of throwing the young lad to the wolves if (and you know this is happening) some SFA PR fucktard is desperate for him to play just to get the huns back on board.

Play him, but play him for the right reasons.

Just on the keepers btw Aberdeen have the Scotland 18s (or poss 20’s?) keeper in Tom Ritchie.  Assuming Lewis screws the nut hopefully with captaincy taken off him and Woods signing a new contract he’s not getting a game for us any time soon you’d think?

Did that McNaughton moment ruin his international career or was he just not good enough? 

never saw much of him after Aberdeen