Rebuilding the Team

Started a topic to see what supporters think we need  before the start of the season.

For example which players to move on, what positions do we need  to cover still, do we have to many midfield players, but not enough attacking or defensive cover?

What would the team formation be and who would play.

Sorry for asking so much questions, but wanted to see what the supporters feel the team needs.

I like the thought of attacking style of play.

• Dildo 3

45 minutes ago, Betty Swallicks said:

OUT- Taylor, Logan, Hoban, Anderson, Ross. LOANS- Kamberi, Hornby, Hendry, Leigh.

IN- Brown, Gallagher, JET, Gurr. LOANS- New; Jenks. Returned; Ojo. EXPECTED- Ramirez.

3 short still imo but squad potentially stronger already.

Including the likes of Ross going out means we should factor in McKenzie and Ramsay as additions or the season.

same with Anderson. Cant effectively double count him along with Hendry who covered his loan out.

I think we will be going with a smaller squad this year so I’m not anticipating much more arrivals to be honest.Ramirez, a CH and maybe just one more to come in

1 minute ago, afc1903mad said:

Including the likes of Ross going out means we should factor in McKenzie and Ramsay as additions or the season.

same with Anderson. Cant effectively double count him along with Hendry who covered his loan out.

What are you on about min? 

Anderson was at the club last season. He isn't this season. So he's in the out list. 

47 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

I think we will be going with a smaller squad this year so I’m not anticipating much more arrivals to be honest.Ramirez, a CH and maybe just one more to come in

It won't be much smaller if at all. We got rid o 5 of our own players and 4 loans and we've already signed 4 and got 1 in on loan plus Ramsay and McKenzie now in the squad.

9 out, 7 in as things stand with Ramirez a nap to come too plus likely a couple more.

52 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

What are you on about min? 

Anderson was at the club last season. He isn't this season. So he's in the out list. 

Aye he was with the club, but loaned out and we took a loanee in to cover.

We only had one player available for selection at the given time i.e Anderson / Hendry.

My point is that its not really reflective to say we need to replace Anderson AND Hendry

• Upvote 2
  • Dildo 2
7 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Aye he was with the club, but loaned out and we took a loanee in to cover.

We only had one player available for selection at the given time i.e Anderson / Hendry.

My point is that its not really reflective to say we need to replace Anderson AND Hendry

Anderson was here the entire first half of the season 

1 minute ago, StandFree1982 said:

He's just pointing out that we aren't replacing TWO players, but effectively only needing to replace ONE.  We never had Anderson AND Hendry at the club at the same time. 

In that case he'd be better leaving Hendry off the list since he was never our player to keep in the first place 

Breakdown of of our squad from my view. 

Goalkeepers - Lewis* & Woods*
Strong: probably one of the strongest 1st choice and back-up in the league IMO. I'd still have Lewis as the better keeper given what he's been like since he signed.

Right Backs - Gurr, Ramsay, McCrorie
Poor: Reluctantly put McCrorie in here, given the no2 shirt for a reason I think... even then I've never been convinced by him there. Ramsay may turn into a good player but he's far to young to be reliant on, I'd loan him out for game time. Gurr is just very underwhelming.

Center Backs - Gallagher*, Considine*, Devlin?
Meh: Both very experienced in SPL terms. Both reliable enough. However both are left footed, both are ageing, there's a lack of youthfulness for me, they both are no nonsense type defenders so not sure how they will fit into this brand of exciting and attacking football we will be looking to play.

Left Backs - MacKenzie, Hayes*
Solid Enough: I think we might see Hayes return further up and have Jack starting more at LB. Hayes is as dependable as ever, even at his age, he works 100% every time he plays, hopefully MacKenzie is of the same mould and can progress this season

CM - Ferguson, Brown*, McGeough, Campbell, Ojo*, McCrorie, Jenks, Virtanen
Quality: In terms of personnel on paper we probably have one of the better midfield options. However the only thing I see is we have FAR too much, only 3 will play, presumably Jenks in no10, that leaves the rest battling it out - Ferguson & Brown probably be starters until Fergie leaves, never seen Virtanen play but going by old twitter posts by Arbroath fans he seems like a defensive type, similar to Brown. Ojo can piss off.

Wingers - Hedges, McLennan, McGinn*, Hayes*, Kennedy, Jenks?
It's better than average: Hedges on his day we all know is a player, McLennan I had high hopes for but never kicked on really and fairly disappointed with his progression - hoping this can be his year. McGinn/Hayes both old heads, not bad players but just don't have the same legs they used to, will still be useful. Kennedy is Kennedy and I put Jenks here as i'd imagine he will play some part out wide. Other than Hedges though, we could be done with adding someone of real quality in here.

Strikers - Ramirez*, JET, Ruth
Can't judge: No absolutely nothing about Ramirez or Ruth really, never seen either play - here's hoping Ramirez can be our 'superman' as his American counterparts like to call him. I'm pretty sure it was Ruth who was finishing them superbly in one of the pre season training videos, but that means sweet FA I know but he might get some game time and play a part. JET I actually quite like, big lad with decent technical ability - see how he fits into our system but he's not gonna be the one who gets us goals so if Ramirez isn't firing on all cylinders then I really struggle to see where we will be scoring from this season...

Conclusion:  I think we are in okay shape, we have the foundation of a decent squad but for me we really lack pace in a lot of areas. We have a few old boys (all players 30 or older come August have a * next to their name). I personally can't see where all the goals are coming from, if Fergie stays we will be heavy reliant on him chipping in with some. Unknown quantities like Ramirez and Jenks might both give us the quality we need in that area's but we have no idea, Ramirez however comes with an expectation of that given we have parted with cash for him. If fergie leaves, none of our CM have a track record of scoring goals. Our wingers are the same, bar McGinn's first spell for us he's never gotten near those numbers again. Hedges possibly but is injury prone.

Will be interesting to see how the season pans out, while I'm fully supportive of the team, manager, chairman - they still have some convincing to do to prove they are doing the right stuff. End of the day Cormack is in charge and if he thinks Glass is the man, we've got to trust him but I am just a bit on edge about it all.

COYR

• Dildo 1
16 minutes ago, The_Next_Legend said:

Strong: probably one of the strongest 1st choice and back-up in the league IMO. I'd still have Lewis as the better keeper given what he's been like since he signed.

Poor: Reluctantly put McCrorie in here, given the no2 shirt for a reason I think... even then I've never been convinced by him there. Ramsay may turn into a good player but he's far to young to be reliant on, I'd loan him out for game time. Gurr is just very underwhelming.

Meh: Both very experienced in SPL terms. Both reliable enough. However both are left footed, both are ageing, there's a lack of youthfulness for me, they both are no nonsense type defenders so not sure how they will fit into this brand of exciting and attacking football we will be looking to play.

Solid Enough: I think we might see Hayes return further up and have Jack starting more at LB. Hayes is as dependable as ever, even at his age, he works 100% every time he plays, hopefully MacKenzie is of the same mould and can progress this season

Quality: In terms of personnel on paper we probably have one of the better midfield options. However the only thing I see is we have FAR too much, only 3 will play, presumably Jenks in no10, that leaves the rest battling it out - Ferguson & Brown probably be starters until Fergie leaves, never seen Virtanen play but going by old twitter posts by Arbroath fans he seems like a defensive type, similar to Brown. Ojo can piss off.

It's better than average: Hedges on his day we all know is a player, McLennan I had high hopes for but never kicked on really and fairly disappointed with his progression - hoping this can be his year. McGinn/Hayes both old heads, not bad players but just don't have the same legs they used to, will still be useful. Kennedy is Kennedy and I put Jenks here as i'd imagine he will play some part out wide. Other than Hedges though, we could be done with adding someone of real quality in here.

Can't judge: No absolutely nothing about Ramirez or Ruth really, never seen either play - here's hoping Ramirez can be our 'superman' as his American counterparts like to call him. I'm pretty sure it was Ruth who was finishing them superbly in one of the pre season training videos, but that means sweet FA I know but he might get some game time and play a part. JET I actually quite like, big lad with decent technical ability - see how he fits into our system but he's not gonna be the one who gets us goals so if Ramirez isn't firing on all cylinders then I really struggle to see where we will be scoring from this season...

Conclusion:  I think we are in okay shape, we have the foundation of a decent squad but for me we really lack pace in a lot of areas. We have a few old boys (all players 30 or older come August have a * next to their name). I personally can't see where all the goals are coming from, if Fergie stays we will be heavy reliant on him chipping in with some. Unknown quantities like Ramirez and Jenks might both give us the quality we need in that area's but we have no idea, Ramirez however comes with an expectation of that given we have parted with cash for him. If fergie leaves, none of our CM have a track record of scoring goals. Our wingers are the same, bar McGinn's first spell for us he's never gotten near those numbers again. Hedges possibly but is injury prone.

Will be interesting to see how the season pans out, while I'm fully supportive of the team, manager, chairman - they still have some convincing to do to prove they are doing the right stuff. End of the day Cormack is in charge and if he thinks Glass is the man, we've got to trust him but I am just a bit on edge about it all.

COYR

Gallagher is right footed. Even played right back on some occasions for Livi.

My issue with the centre backs is that based on how he wanted to play tactically at the end of the season it looks like he wants to have both full backs really pushed on and leaving central defenders quite isolated, so we badly need some pace in there and they also need the ability to pass the ball out. None of these 3 have pace and none are very good at passing the ball out. For me a central defender with real pace is an absolute priority.

Don't think you will ever see Jenks play on the wing.

And up front again I think we badly need a striker with real pace as again none of those you mention have pace. I also expect to see Ruth loaned out again this season but at a team that is more suited to his style of oplay than Arbroath where it was more of a direct physical approach which isn't really his game.

My biggest issue is the lack of pace we have throughout the team now. Other than Hedges and McLennan we really don't have any pace. I know Hayes isn't slow but he doesn't have the pace that used to fear teams anymore.

39 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Gallagher is right footed. Even played right back on some occasions for Livi.

My issue with the centre backs is that based on how he wanted to play tactically at the end of the season it looks like he wants to have both full backs really pushed on and leaving central defenders quite isolated, so we badly need some pace in there and they also need the ability to pass the ball out. None of these 3 have pace and none are very good at passing the ball out. For me a central defender with real pace is an absolute priority.

Don't think you will ever see Jenks play on the wing.

And up front again I think we badly need a striker with real pace as again none of those you mention have pace. I also expect to see Ruth loaned out again this season but at a team that is more suited to his style of oplay than Arbroath where it was more of a direct physical approach which isn't really his game.

My biggest issue is the lack of pace we have throughout the team now. Other than Hedges and McLennan we really don't have any pace. I know Hayes isn't slow but he doesn't have the pace that used to fear teams anymore.

Agree with this, you might get away with slower central defenders if the keeper was capable of playing higher up the park, don't think big Joe is the man for that though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
20 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

How does everyone think he's going to line the team up?

3-4-2-1 or 4-2-3-1

3-4-2-1

Lewis

McCrorie, Gallagher, Considine

Gurr, Brown, Ferguson, Hayes

Hedges, Jenks

Ramirez

4-2-3-1

Lewis

McCrorie, Gallagher, Considine, MacKenzie

Brown, Ferguson

Hedges, McGinn, Hayes

Ramirez

4-2-3-1

Lewis

Brown, Ferguson

Boyle, Hedges, Hayes

Ramirez

28 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

3-4-2-1 or 4-2-3-1

3-4-2-1

Lewis

Hedges, Jenks

Ramirez

4-2-3-1

Lewis

Brown, Ferguson

Hedges, McGinn, Hayes

Ramirez

It’ll be a back 4.

probably 4-2-3-1

Your bottom selection, but Jenks for McGinn maybe.

Unless there’s a new signing or two before the season starts.  

1 hour ago, King Street Loon said:

3-4-2-1 or 4-2-3-1

3-4-2-1

Lewis

Hedges, Jenks

Ramirez

4-2-3-1

Lewis

Brown, Ferguson

Hedges, McGinn, Hayes

Ramirez

I think it'll be sorta that 4231. I presume Jenks is coming to be a starter.

I think the full backs could change a few times before someone nails down the role.

I felt it was more so a sorta 433 so far though. When we were out of possession McGinn tucked in on the left of the midfield with McGeouch/Campbell central and Ferguson right. When we were in possession Ferguson and McGinn had license to go beyond the striker. It wan't really that Ferguson or McGinn were playing a different role to each other.

We need a better winger than Hayes/Hedges if we want to really improve. 

16 hours ago, The_Next_Legend said:

COYR

^ Not reading all that. 

Agree.Also Considine as first choice rather than back up ? would rather pair Gallagher with someone with pace and McCrorie only one who remotely fits that description.

Not got blistering pace but thought worth trying Brown out as Sweeper rather than take the ball off 2 central defenders and then 3 up front ( Emmanuel-Thomas, Ramirez ,Hedges  ) if playing with wing backs

2 hours ago, muttonhumper said:

Why is there a large section of the hat thinking this?

He's played 2 senior matches in his entire career.

Never played a league match in his puff.

This is baffling somewhat.

To think he will be a regular starter.

We already were overloaded with centre mids so presume he's coming as a serious contender

Lewis

McCrorie Gallagher Considine Hayes

Brown

Hedges Ferguson Jenks / McGinn

JET Ramirez

hedges and Jenks / mcginn aren’t playing as wingers, but in the pockets, with mcCrorie and Hayes bombing on to provide the width. Brown sits, allowing Ferguson to play box to box. 2 up top linking with each other as neither has the pace to play up top on their own.

22 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Lewis

Brown

JET Ramirez

hedges and Jenks / mcginn aren’t playing as wingers, but in the pockets, with mcCrorie and Hayes bombing on to provide the width. Brown sits, allowing Ferguson to play box to box. 2 up top linking with each other as neither has the pace to play up top on their own.

You're assuming we're not signing anyone else?  It's still June. 

45 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Lewis

Brown

JET Ramirez

One of several flaws.