Pre-Season 21/22

1 hour ago, fine-n-dandy said:

We were stretched in defence as it was in middle since McKenna went, the continued injury of Devlin being one of the reasons but we have lost McKenna without replacing him, some will say Gallagher covers that but we also let Hoban go. Edit plus Taylor

At the CH position, agreed, Hoban and Taylor have left (2 down) but with Gallagher coming in and a change of formation from requiring 3 CH’s as opposed to 2 now in the starting line up, then we are no more exposed now than we were last year. (Other than Considine being another year older)

2 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

McCrorie most certainly hasn’t looked like any kind of CH that I have seen & Devlin is a massive gamble if that is our ‘cover’ which also massively contradicts Glass’s insistence that he will not sign gambles &/or players that do not fully want to be here. Has Devlin even signed his deal?

McCrorie could be a surprise at CH and provide us with more pace and better ability to step out of defence with the ball. A McCrorie / Gallagher partnership could be very interesting.

Devlin is neither here nor there. He wasn’t available last season, so is not a loss from then and doesn’t appear to be available yet this year either

are Ramsey/McKenzie ready for holding down the FB roles, or wing backs, depending on his plans? 

Absolutely yes. We need to be able to promote youth and both have shown they merit more minutes

up front the combo is extremely limited, especially if one or both turn out shite or get injured. Given how much we struggled up front for past year + this should have been somewhere Glass threw his main attention at but arguably we are as stretched in defence as we are in front positions.

Is it? Glass did prioritise wanting Ramirez. Give the boy a chance to,pull the Dons shirt on in a competitive game. We were hardly blessed with a plethora of alternatives other than Rooney. Now we have a different option with JET. Again, give the loon a chance to shine in a Dons top.

Ramirez, JET, Hedges, Jenks, McGinn, Hayes (can be one of the three behind the striker if McKenzie is to be our LB) and even Ferguson if still here will give us opportunities to score.

Dinna go pishing yer pants before a competitive minute is played

2 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

19 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

I just think Cormack has sold him a dummy & he is now being forced to come out with the usual bullshit excuses/pretending he’s ‘happy with the squad’ when truth is the first team (let alone the squad) is extremely light/old & in serious shite with just one or two injuries, especially in pretty much every position other than central midfield.

Cormack is full of shite. Has been obvious ever since the blatant lies regarding ‘4 great candidates in shortlist’ when it was obvious Glass was already long since shoehorned in. & now Glass is going to get painted/tainted with same brush as Cormack because Cormack has made it as such.

Glass is 100% Cormacks puppet, just as Mcinnes was Milnes. Same shite different chairman.

Make me eat humble pie Cormack you snake oil selling fraud ?

I love the pre season period when everyone is looking forward to the footie starting up again and is hoping for the best.

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo 1

Had the misfortune to see the Buckie v Dons game today.

Dreadful game & two poor teams.

Buckie win 1-0 with a goal from a bad mistake by right centre back Mason Hancock.

On this viewing I can’t see many of these lads progressing to the first team any time soon.

The lads who have been in/around the first team didn’t show up well.

Virtanen poor at right back

Ngwenya at left back little better & off at half time. 

Ruth up front is lightweight and I doubt he’ll make it.

Pretty depressing viewing 

• Dildo 1
9 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Buckie win 1-0 with a goal from a bad mistake by right centre back Mason Hancock.

On this viewing I can’t see many of these lads progressing to the first team any time soon.

Did Hanratty or Barron show much?

Hopefully Glass isn't relying on any of the young team to step up this season!

6 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

So none of the newbies got a run out then. Not going to read too much* into a pre season runaround though

*maybe allow for a mild bit of depression

• Dildo 1
37 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Is this the first official match for many of these players for nigh on 18 months? Appreciate some of them were loaned out last season.

32 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

Did Hanratty or Barron show much?

Hopefully Glass isn't relying on any of the young team to step up this season!

Of the two, Barron was better but he wasn’t great either.

The lad alongside Barron, Tyler Mykyta actually showed up better. 

Hanratty was poor & offered nothing. Shrugged off ball too easily & rarely created anything. 

42 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Of the two, Barron was better but he wasn’t great either.

The lad alongside Barron, Tyler Mykyta actually showed up better. 

Hanratty was poor & offered nothing. Shrugged off ball too easily & rarely created anything. 

Is it Robson that's in charge of the young team now? What formation did they play? I'm sure the idea was that all the teams through the age groups would play the same formation and style so they could eventually fit in easier to the first team.

Just now, Don_Corleone said:

Is it Robson that's in charge of the young team now? What formation did they play? I'm sure the idea was that all the teams through the age groups would play the same formation and style so they could eventually fit in easier to the first team.

4-2-3-1

Ritchie

Virtanen Hancock Turner Ngwenya

Barron Mykyta

Duncan Milne Hanratty 

Ruth 

The keeper was trying to clip balls to the full backs, who were on the touch line, pushed up about 30 yards from our goal.

Some worked, a lot didn’t.

It would worry me if we’re going to ask Lewis to try the same to the likes of Gurr & MacKenzie. He’s hopeless with the ball at his feet. 

4 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Oh fuck off you intolerable bore ?

What are you on about? There was nothing wrong with the guy's point?!

Lewis is useless at kicking, and I fear he'll cost us goals (again!) if we're expecting him to start playing the ball out from the back and taking it to feet in tight areas etc. Woods is a decent back up keeper and might be good enough to be first choice for a bottom 6 side, but if we're wanting to challenge we definitely need better than him. 

58 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

4-2-3-1

Ritchie

Barron Mykyta

Duncan Milne Hanratty 

Ruth 

The keeper was trying to clip balls to the full backs, who were on the touch line, pushed up about 30 yards from our goal.

It would worry me if we’re going to ask Lewis to try the same to the likes of Gurr & MacKenzie. He’s hopeless with the ball at his feet. 

Cheers for that, looks like that could be the system and style we'll be playing in the first team too then.  I agree it would be a worry if we're playing that system with Lewis in goal as his distribution isn't good.

24 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Cheers for that, looks like that could be the system and style we'll be playing in the first team too then.  I agree it would be a worry if we're playing that system with Lewis in goal as his distribution isn't good.

It’s not only Lewis’ kicking that is dodgy, his overall game was shot to pieces last season, and his mistakes are becoming all too regular.

Still has a good length of time left on his contract too so he’s not going anywhere 

28 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Well, I certainly can’t wait for the season to start ?

Its going to be absolutely horrible. I don’t think I’ve ever felt less confident about the team, we are in a terrible state. 

You think we have a worse team than last season? I’d say we are stronger than last season and we have a manager that’s going to at least attempt to play football. I think we forget how bad last season was and we almost came third.

5 minutes ago, slippers said:

You think we have a worse team than last season? I’d say we are stronger than last season and we have a manager that’s going to at least attempt to play football. I think we forget how bad last season was and we almost came third.

A manager who was definitely the cheap option, I’m pretty sure all managers try and have their teams playing football but it’s a results business. 

I think we will really struggle this season.

6 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

A manager who was definitely the cheap option, I’m pretty sure all managers try and have their teams playing football but it’s a results business. 

I think we will really struggle this season.

I think our season hinges on Ramirez and Jet being the real deal. If they struggle we will struggle. I’m also slightly worried about us defensively if we are going to play more attacking as the Dundee United game showed how important a balance is. 

2 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

4-2-3-1

Ritchie

Barron Mykyta

Duncan Milne Hanratty 

Ruth 

Thought we were absolutely shite today, no pace at all. We plodded about from side to side before launching long balls out. 

Tyler mykata was the best player. Duncan, henratty, Ruth, Turner and newngya were all crap. 

Its really worrying that Glass is talking about game time for any of these players at this stage. 

18 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

It’s not only Lewis’ kicking that is dodgy, his overall game was shot to pieces last season, and his mistakes are becoming all too regular.

Still has a good length of time left on his contract too so he’s not going anywhere 

Coincedence that his form dipped at the same time as the general downward spiral of the team the last few seasons?  A more trustable defence would help,but dont think us overdwelling on every little mistake helps. If Glass is the man ? looks like itll take a couple of windows to cobble a decent side together assuming no more ins and outs this summer

14 minutes ago, RUL said:

Thought we were absolutely shite today, no pace at all. We plodded about from side to side before launching long balls out. 

Tyler mykata was the best player. Duncan, henratty, Ruth, Turner and newngya were all crap. 

Its really worrying that Glass is talking about game time for any of these players at this stage. 

From what I saw, not one of them is nearly ready or good enough for the first team.

23 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

From what I saw, not one of them is nearly ready or good enough for the first team.

Shame that Virtanen did not get a run in centre mid as he proved at Arbroath that he is decent in there. I'm not saying he's gonna make it in the full time game but he's a better chance in centre mid than defence

1 hour ago, slippers said:

I think our season hinges on Ramirez and Jet being the real deal. If they struggle we will struggle. I’m also slightly worried about us defensively if we are going to play more attacking as the Dundee United game showed how important a balance is. 

Ramirez and Gurr really concern me. I have this horrible feeling that both of them are hopeless. The lack of any decent youth coming through is also a concern. JET has ability but motivation seems an issue.

We badly need to improve the defence, if McRorie is going to be shunted to centre half then god help us.

• Dildo 1