Pre-Season 21/22

4 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

It’s a worry. Does anyone know if Ramirez and Gurr are pacy? Does anyone know anything about them, even?

Can see us hoofing balls up to JET in no time tbh.

No idea about either. 

I think we'll try play with a high line but our general lack of pace will kill us. Case and point Dundee United in the QF. He absolutely has to be looking to another CB. 

2 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

It’s a worry. Does anyone know if Ramirez and Gurr are pacy? Does anyone know anything about them, even?

Can see us hoofing balls up to JET in no time tbh.

No info anywhere really on either it’s a massive punt by SG! Either SPL Beaters(can’t say world) or panel Beaters..

1 hour ago, RED_JOHN said:

See if we start having shots at goal which are on target regularly, that itself would be an improvement on the McInnes led Aberdeen. 
Let’s give Glass a chance, he is just about to enter his first full campaign as our manager.

Desperately fishing for +1’s now 

Sell out

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
2 hours ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

No idea about either. 

I think we'll try play with a high line but our general lack of pace will kill us. Case and point Dundee United in the QF. He absolutely has to be looking to another CB. 

My worry (one of them) is that Ferguson will have to do a fair bit more running in midfield to make up for browns lack of ability. I think this will see us playing effectively two holding midfielders and with nobody to link the midfield and attack. Can’t see Hayes being allowed to leave the young lad on his own at left back too much so that leaves Hedges as the only player to drive forward. We have Gurr behind him though and nobody knows if he’s any good or not, this may prevent Hedges going forward as much too. Fuck knows, I hope Glass has it figured out. 

2 hours ago, The Gee Man said:

No info anywhere really on either it’s a massive punt by SG! Either SPL Beaters(can’t say world) or panel Beaters..

I just hope they’re not as hopeless as Gallagher.

1 hour ago, Big Hat Logan said:

My worry (one of them) is that Ferguson will have to do a fair bit more running in midfield to make up for browns lack of ability. I think this will see us playing effectively two holding midfielders and with nobody to link the midfield and attack. Can’t see Hayes being allowed to leave the young lad on his own at left back too much so that leaves Hedges as the only player to drive forward. We have Gurr behind him though and nobody knows if he’s any good or not, this may prevent Hedges going forward as much too. Fuck knows, I hope Glass has it figured out. 

So exactly how we’ve played the last two or three years then.

4 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

That’s the point. Everyone has moaned until the cows come home about the football on display, we sacked the manager, brought in Scott “saviour” Brown and here we are, looking like we will be not much different to last few seasons. Except this time we are pinning our hopes on an unknown American striker and JET, who has drifted from club to club because of his attitude. Obviously it’s a team game but what if Ferguson goes? We suddenly looks even more inept.

8 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

We can't be any worse to watch than we've been the last couple of seasons. With the exception of the short spell when we had Wright and Hedges together, it's been eye-bleeding borefest football for 2-3 years now. Whether the playing out from the back thing works out I'm not convinced... but I do think we'll be more positive and push more players forward - you could see that at the end of last season, we had lots of players piling into the box and we were starting to have more scoring opportunities - we just didn't have anyone decent to take them. 

1 hour ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Desperately fishing for +1’s now 

Sell out

? not at all. I am going to give Glass a chance (probably until the first round of fixtures is done) as I want him to do well. I don’t trust Cormack though. Not sure what you think of him but he is definitely worth the watching. I still reckon he hasn’t fully backed Glass enough during this transfer window….still time yet though.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

We can't be any worse to watch than we've been the last couple of seasons. With the exception of the short spell when we had Wright and Hedges together, it's been eye-bleeding borefest football for 2-3 years now. Whether the playing out from the back thing works out I'm not convinced... but I do think we'll be more positive and push more players forward - you could see that at the end of last season, we had lots of players piling into the box and we were starting to have more scoring opportunities - we just didn't have anyone decent to take them. 

Playing out from the back has to be positive. It means we’re trying to maintain possession instead of just hoofing it long.

Will we get caught out on occasions, lose possession and concede a goal? Probably, but worth it as we adapt to a better style of play.

23 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Playing out from the back has to be positive. It means we’re trying to maintain possession instead of just hoofing it long.

Will we get caught out on occasions, lose possession and concede a goal? Probably, but worth it as we adapt to a better style of play.

Absolutely - I agree it's positive... my concern is our ability to do it effectively. You need to have 11 players comfortable on the ball who can take it in tight situations and not wet their pants and just boot it out of play. Hopefully it does work though - if we can play through midfield and get the ball to Hedges we can be a dangerous team. Punting it long is terrible to watch and generally ineffective.

Aye it was two friendlies tomorrow.

I guess we'll be finding out the starting XI for the Hacken game then.

So one closed door friendly against Inverness (where he used 20 players) and one closed door friendly against St Johnstone. Deary me we better get a result next Thursday or even the happy clappers will be struggling.

11 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Aye it was two friendlies tomorrow.

I guess we'll be finding out the starting XI for the Hacken game then.

So one closed door friendly against Inverness (where he used 20 players) and one closed door friendly against St Johnstone. Deary me we better get a result next Thursday or even the happy clappers will be struggling.

Everyone is knocking the prep and I'd like to have seen us with one more date as well. 

But organising simultaneous games is actually good planning under the circumstances. If one team calls off then you've got a back up. 

1 minute ago, Big Hat Logan said:

It’s pretty awful pre-season but tbf everyone is in the same boat. COVID has fucked everything. Hacken Will be match fit and up for it, I think this will be a really difficult game.

The rules around isolation need to catch up with the change in general acceptance of positive cases in society. 

The country is full of places shutting down where the folk isolating are mainly asymptomatic. 

I agree with the club in this one ,reading  have been fair giving us notice and we have subsequently cancelled 

can you imagine the uproar if it had gone ahead and we lost half a dozen players prior to the Hacken game

However this game will be a difficult test for us now . 
If  we get through then we have been fortunate but I must admit looking at the two capital sides they have managed to complete a better pre-season than we have which doesn’t display good organisational skills from those arranging this ?

How many friendlies / euro games did we have before playing Rangers last year (1st league match)?

That game was an utter embarrassment and i might be wrong, but I think we are going to be even more undercooked against Hacken.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see another a similar outcome to when we played Sigma 

1 hour ago, Hoofball said:

Could be wrong but I think Aberdeen were supposed to be playing both Reading and St Johnstone tomorrow simultaneously 

Aye, it was supposed to be Reading at 1.30 & St Johnstone at 5.30.

No idea what the make up of the teams would’ve been for the two games.

Think he needs to give his starting X1 for Hacken a good hour at least against St Johnstone.

Even still, massively under prepared