Pre-Season 21/22

2 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

It’s not only Lewis’ kicking that is dodgy, his overall game was shot to pieces last season, and his mistakes are becoming all too regular.

Still has a good length of time left on his contract too so he’s not going anywhere 

I agree. I'm not sure if the captaincy had a part to play in it. I guess we'll soon find out... although maybe having lost the captaincy will damage his confidence even more. He was a great signing initially and for a couple of seasons he was probably the best keeper in the league, made some incredible saves... but he's become very prone to blunders. He was never captain material for me - he just doesn't give off a winning mentality when you look at his body language, or expressions on the pitch, or listen to him speaking off of it.

Like you say, he's probably going to be here for at least another season - and he'll be one of the biggest wage earners so more than likely will be starting week in week out. Fingers crossed he can get back to the form he showed in the early seasons - my concern is that the new style Glass wants to play will turn Lewis into a nervous wreck in goals.

My pal who plays for Buckie (boy who scored) thought Barron Hanratty & Virtannen were good for us.

That’s from a players perspective. Did say hanratty lacked end product but was sharp & looked like he could develop into a player.

Said we didn’t penetrate enough, didn’t have runners and were far to structured as others said (side to side passing etc.)

4 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Ramirez and Gurr really concern me. I have this horrible feeling that both of them are hopeless. The lack of any decent youth coming through is also a concern. JET has ability but motivation seems an issue.

We badly need to improve the defence, if McRorie is going to be shunted to centre half then god help us.

It's all guess work at the minute... we'll know after a few games whether these guys are any good. The reality is you don't need to be a great player to have a good season in the SPL - Sam Cosgrove was useless and he banged in over 20 goals in two consecutive seasons - the likelihood is Ramirez is a better player than Cosgrove, so he just needs to get off to a good start. JET seems to be enjoying life at Aberdeen so far, so hopefully that bodes well for his motivation and effort on the park - I think he'll bang in at least 10-15 goals this season.

The lack of quality youngsters is a worry - but maybe todays game was just a bad day at the office... and young players develop at different speeds, so some might come good yet. 

McCrorie needs to be given a settled position in the team where he can play a run of games - it's no use to him or the team for him to be playing a different position every week like he was last season. I'm not against the idea of him playing at the back alongside Gallagher - he brings a bit of much needed pace to the centre of our defence. Most teams play 1 up front these days, so big Gallagher can do the dirty work and McCrorie can mop things up and start the moves forward.

I do share your concerns... but this is just a positive spin on it... time will tell though!!

8 minutes ago, The_Next_Legend said:

My pal who plays for Buckie (boy who scored) thought Barron Hanratty & Virtannen were good for us.

That’s from a players perspective. Did say hanratty lacked end product but was sharp & looked like he could develop into a player.

Said we didn’t penetrate enough, didn’t have runners and were far to structured as others said (side to side passing etc.)

Who would have been a blonde haired holding midfielder? My mate said he played well.

Also said Hanratty was meant to be highly rated but tried lots of tricks and lost the ball more often than not. Also said we were shocking going forward, pedestrian. Sounds similar opinions in the main.

8 minutes ago, The_Next_Legend said:

Could be that they are still adapting to a new formation and style of play and haven't really got the hang of it yet. It's all very well learning the theory and doing it on a training pitch, but translating it into an actual game might take time. Same will maybe be true with the first team, hopefully the friendlies will give sufficient time to do that before the games that matter.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

It's all guess work at the minute... we'll know after a few games whether these guys are any good. The reality is you don't need to be a great player to have a good season in the SPL - Sam Cosgrove was useless and he banged in over 20 goals in two consecutive seasons - the likelihood is Ramirez is a better player than Cosgrove, so he just needs to get off to a good start. JET seems to be enjoying life at Aberdeen so far, so hopefully that bodes well for his motivation and effort on the park - I think he'll bang in at least 10-15 goals this season.

We scored 36 league goals last year.

If Ramirez is better than Cosgrove (20 goals) and JET will get at least 10-15, then we should be on to a much better season with the two of them contributing 30-35 goals.

• Dildo 1
35 minutes ago, Don Fonte said:

Who would have been a blonde haired holding midfielder? My mate said he played well.

Also said Hanratty was meant to be highly rated but tried lots of tricks and lost the ball more often than not. Also said we were shocking going forward, pedestrian. Sounds similar opinions in the main.

Tyler myktka was the blonde lad and henratty was exactly as you described. 

I'm a bit confused about what has happened today, like when you accidentally nod off for 20 minutes during a movie and then you wake back up and the story doesn't make sense anymore.

I feel asleep at the part where our youth team had a bad game, and woke up at the part where our whole season is over.

Can anyone fill me in on what I missed?

• Haha 3
7 hours ago, redcryptoknight said:

I'm a bit confused about what has happened today, like when you accidentally nod off for 20 minutes during a movie and then you wake back up and the story doesn't make sense anymore.

I feel asleep at the part where our youth team had a bad game, and woke up at the part where our whole season is over.

The youth team played and got beat.

This signals that we are going to have a poor season for the senior team. 

Ramirez and Gurr (neither of whom played) are going to be hopeless.

Emmanuel-Thomas is lazy and unmotivated apparently. Hopefully the posters impression of him isn't based on the guys skin colour.

Joe Lewis is useless with the ball at his feet, but will play as he's on a fair wage. Not based on his overall game.

Think that's everything...

12 hours ago, RUL said:

Thought we were absolutely shite today, no pace at all. We plodded about from side to side before launching long balls out. 

Tyler mykata was the best player. Duncan, henratty, Ruth, Turner and newngya were all crap. 

Its really worrying that Glass is talking about game time for any of these players at this stage. 

Hopefully it puts to bed this ridiculous notion held by some on here that we should be playing a raft of youth players ahead of first teamers. Majority of the youth players that come through won’t be good enough and that is a fact. The good ones will always play. Case in point Bruce Anderson, he’s gone to Livingston and loads on here wanted to play him regularly. Surely if he was that good Celtic/Rangers would have been sniffing about him.  

• Dildo 1
29 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

The youth team played and got beat.

This signals that we are going to have a poor season for the senior team. 

Ramirez and Gurr (neither of whom played) are going to be hopeless.

Emmanuel-Thomas is lazy and unmotivated apparently. Hopefully the posters impression of him isn't based on the guys skin colour.

Joe Lewis is useless with the ball at his feet, but will play as he's on a fair wage. Not based on his overall game.

Think that's everything...

Aye, it's always boom or bust with folk on here. 

32 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye, it's always boom or bust with folk on here. 

I agree as such. Wait until the 1st real match has been played by the 1st team then we can see how our preseason has went. As stated previously…friendly matches are nothing and in reality the Aberdeenshire cup match was played by a load of young misfits. 
We really should have had the women playing for us in that cup match as I am sure they would have beaten Buckie.

• Downvote 1
  • Dildo 1
15 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

I agree as such. Wait until the 1st real match has been played by the 1st team then we can see how our preseason has went. As stated previously…friendly matches are nothing and in reality the Aberdeenshire cup match was played by a load of young misfits. 
We really should have had the women playing for us in that cup match as I am sure they would have beaten Buckie.

I’m sure I don’t need to tell you Buckie would have beaten our women’s team by at least  10 goals. 

57 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

Na, the score would have been about 15-0.

The USA's womens World Cup winning team got beat 5-2 from a boys under 15 team. Ha!

We could get a team from here that could beat AFC Women tomorrow. The crowd for that would be bigger than most wifies games too.

Regardless how much they hype it wifies fitba is dung!

I suppose it doesn’t matter if you lose 1-0 or 15-0, you are out the cup regardless (jeezo….that is like a Mark McGhee type statement) ?

There is the challenge for the club….get the young lads who played against Buckie to take on our woman’s team. At least it will be a worthwhile friendly with a competitive edge and the best friendly the club would have played this season.

• Dildo 1
23 hours ago, redcryptoknight said:

I love the pre season period when everyone is looking forward to the footie starting up again and is hoping for the best.

Don't mention that fucking retard guff, dumbed down culture word on this site again.

Or you are deed.

14 hours ago, redcryptoknight said:

Sound comment.

Okay, I'll let you aff.

But don't mention that word again.

It outs one as an absolute simpleton.

7 hours ago, Betty Swallicks said:

We could get a team from here that could beat AFC Women tomorrow. The crowd for that would be bigger than most wifies games too.

Regardless how much they hype it wifies fitba is dung!

We should try to make this happen… for charity…   I imagine we’d have to build up a good lead in the first 15 minutes as after that most of us would be collapsed in a heap.