What you doing today?

16 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

Let me think ? Nah,  that's about the sum of it. Do you do anything other than be a humourless smartarse? 

Plenty humour my end. You just come across as an angry wee man, with nothing to contribute other than abuse. 

It's sad to see someone like that. I hope you find some joy in your heart soon. 

1 minute ago, Redforever86 said:

The V&A certainly influenced my decision to go to Dundee. I then spent money in it's cafe, a few different restaurants, bars, a hotel, and I think I gave a small donation at the McManus Art Gallery too. 

Cafe owned by a company from Edinburgh. 

I'm not disputing it's use to help boost the hospitality industry. My point is, these places would rather employ a student living there part time, than a local Dundeh resident. 

They also use 0, 8 hour contracts etc, so doesn't really help bring the city up, more provide some people work, when the business feels they need them. 

McManus is quality, good on yi

6 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Plenty humour my end. You just come across as an angry wee man, with nothing to contribute other than abuse. 

It's sad to see someone like that. I hope you find some joy in your heart soon. 

I wouldn't get too upset about things he says/does. 

He's up til the wee hours obliterating his brain with skunk. He then comes on here and goes on some 'anti woke' crusade to make himself feel better about his own apparent drug issues. 

Half the time the abusive stuff is from people who you know have their own issues. Which is alright. I'll take the hits, for their sake. 

12 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

The type of employment it brings, isnt great. Interested to see this big old whale structure when I'm down next week, apparently life size. 

You've got to look at the bigger picture. They are trying to change the image of the place and it's defo played a part in the Eden project coming here.

The V&A was built with lots of apprenticeships playing a part in it, it was part of the bidding process. Hopefully those boys have carried on and now have trades.

I get what you are saying but if you grow the city and grow the economy you can then invest in Community Centres etc.

1 minute ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

He's up til the wee hours obliterating his brain with skunk. He then comes on here and goes on some 'anti woke' crusade to make himself feel better about his own apparent drug issues. 

Half the time the abusive stuff is from people who you know have their own issues. Which is alright. I'll take the hits, for their sake. 

I barely smoke weed these days, not sure why you keep repeating that.

1 minute ago, manboobs109 said:

You've got to look at the bigger picture. They are trying to change the image of the place and it's defo played a part in the Eden project coming here.

The V&A was built with lots of apprenticeships playing a part in it, it was part of the bidding process. Hopefully those boys have carried on and now have trades.

I get what you are saying but if you grow the city and grow the economy you can then invest in Community Centres etc.

In cynical about it. The housing situation in Dundee is quite stark, and already they've opened up more 'luxury apartments' down by the V and A.

You can change the image to the outside looking in, as somewhere a bit nicer than before, but I don't think the museum is going to do much to pull people up by their bootstraps from the poorer areas. When I worked at the V and A I think there were about 2 people from Dundee who I encountered. If they had a policy that they'd only employ local Dundonians in need of a job, I'd be more sympathetic. 

Could you imagine that, though? Wouldn't fit the image they are trying to play. 

You can polish a turd...

4 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

How would going on an anti woke crusade make someone feel better about their drug issues? I don't see the correlation? You're not making much sense, as per.

Just now, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

In cynical about it. The housing situation in Dundee is quite stark, and already they've opened up more 'luxury apartments' down by the V and A.

You can change the image to the outside looking in, as somewhere a bit nicer than before, but I don't think the museum is going to do much to pull people up by their bootstraps from the poorer areas. When I worked at the V and A I think there were about 2 people from Dundee who I encountered. If they had a policy that they'd only employ local Dundonians in need of a job, I'd be more sympathetic. 

Could you imagine that, though? Wouldn't fit the image they are trying to play. 

You can polish a turd...

You're concentrating on the V&A itself. I've never been in the place so can't comment but there have been loads of construction jobs provided in the whole area which I know for a fact have benefitted locals.

No local plan will be 100% effective but at least they are trying. Sticking a few community centres and needle rooms in the schemes will achieve fuck all tbh.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

You're concentrating on the V&A itself. I've never been in the place so can't comment but there have been loads of construction jobs provided in the whole area which I know for a fact have benefitted locals.

No local plan will be 100% effective but at least they are trying. Sticking a few community centres and needle rooms in the schemes will achieve fuck all tbh.

Needle rooms would stop the death rates, which are the highest in Europe. Community centres would stop kids getting involved, potentially. Something has to happen, it certainly can't be left to vague ideas of economic growth. 

If the regeneration opens up more career opportunities for local people, that's fine. Thus far it's allowed a few business owners to get a bit richer, and that's about it. It's fine if more people are going to cafes etc, but are the owners raising the wages in line with profit? Who are they employing? Ok, few good construction jobs, sounds great for those with construction companies, has the extra work meant that they can take on a few more laddies? Or, do they run with a tight ship and expend their workforce? I don't know, but you see my point? 

22 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Leave me out of this. 

5 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Needle rooms would stop the death rates, which are the highest in Europe. Community centres would stop kids getting involved, potentially. Something has to happen, it certainly can't be left to vague ideas of economic growth. 

If the regeneration opens up more career opportunities for local people, that's fine. Thus far it's allowed a few business owners to get a bit richer, and that's about it. It's fine if more people are going to cafes etc, but are the owners raising the wages in line with profit? Who are they employing? Ok, few good construction jobs, sounds great for those with construction companies, has the extra work meant that they can take on a few more laddies? Or, do they run with a tight ship and expend their workforce? I don't know, but you see my point? 

No one is saying it'll change the city over night, but it's a start and it's already put Dundee back on the map to a certain degree. Better than fuck all anyway. 

There's fucking heaps of tourists come to Scotland, if it can even become a top 20 attraction post Covid it'll bring plenty money to the city. 

13 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

You're just negative about private industry in general. Fair enough I can see why but if people are learning trades, getting a foot on a career ladder, even just feeling more positive about their home city it can't be a bad thing.

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I've been to Dundee twice specifically to go to the V&A. 

I understand the questioning of whether it's the best use of money but it certainly brings a lot of folk to Dundee that wouldn't have been there otherwise. 

Not denying this. My question is whether that money will actually trickle down or not. 

It rarely does.

6 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

You're just negative about private industry in general. Fair enough I can see why but if people are learning trades, getting a foot on a career ladder, even just feeling more positive about their home city it can't be a bad thing.

It couldn't stop Michelin closing. That was a sickener, no? 

I don't want to say it's an outright bad thing, rather a pretty distraction from real issues the city faces. 

Im gonna run as MSP and move back down. Can I have your vote? 

2 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

It's trickle up if anything.

Congratulations on a rarely sensible post that isn't filled with anger and sneer. 

Keep this up and I might start to consider you a human being. 

15 minutes ago, Dad said:

Get a room

We would but we've been backing the DWT and are now potless. 

1 minute ago, Grays Babylon 1875 said:

By the way.  What is Woke?  I see this word said a lot these days and I'm scoobied.. Is it used in a pejorative sense...? 

Yeah. A certain subset of the population try and use not being a cunt as a pejorative. 

Like for example if you think it's wrong to say "I bought it in the paki shop" or "we got a chinky for dinner", you're "woke". 

Essentially not being a racist = "woke"

5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

We would but we've been backing the DWT and are now potless. 

Yeah. A certain subset of the population try and use not being a cunt as a pejorative. 

Like for example if you think it's wrong to say "I bought it in the paki shop" or "we got a chinky for dinner", you're "woke". 

Essentially not being a racist = "woke"

Should also add that the people saying the racist stuff have the final say on what does/doesn't constitute racism. 

They are anti-woke.

26 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Not denying this. My question is whether that money will actually trickle down or not. 

It rarely does.

I don't think that's the thinking. The building directly opposite the V&A is the new Scottish social security office. Building it took tradesmen, it's providing 500 new, good jobs.

The whole area has been completely redesigned, needing tradesmen, who have learned skills they will have for life. It's easy to be negative but providing jobs, skills and opportunities will change Dundee in the long run, Community centres, rehab, Needle rooms will change a few individual lives(possibly)

I totally get what you are saying but I can tell you from personal experience that some people are genuinely beyond "saving" it is better to look to the future and trying to create a better, more prosperous city is better for future generations.