Ramirez Signs

6 hours ago, Ke1t said:

No offense to the people who think the SPFL is some imagined superior quality league, but the standard of Scottish football is no better, and in many cases worse, that the MLS. 

I'd take each individual player on his own merits, rather than erroneously broad-brushing the MLS as a step down from Scottish football, and assuming that ,therefore, 'He must be shite'. 

Spfl is definitely made up of a few haves and a lot of have nots. The MLS as a whole is up and coming. There is a lot more money thrown behind it, and I anticipate continued big steps forward over the next couple of decades

In 20 years the USMNT and the MLS could be a very big deal worldwide.

But with all that being said I am obviously a proponent of Aberdeen FC looking to the Americas. To compete with the old firm... Hell, to get back to 3rd place it should be a global recruitment effort.

6 hours ago, dazzy_deff said:

Was out with my mate on Saturday who has just moved back home from Houston, where hes lived for 4 years. Feedback from him..

"He was pish for Dynamo" - Buzzin.

Stab in the dark here... 'EL' from Inverurie?

6 hours ago, South Stand Seagull said:

Club and media touting him as a ‘US international’ is a bit much he has 2 appearances. But, anyone called up to their national side and scoring a goal is positive I suppose. More than we can say about our previous signings. 

Agree.

Glass saying 'full' international gives the impression that he'd be in a current U.S. squad.

• Dildo 1
1 hour ago, Scotty_Toronto said:

Agree.

Glass saying 'full' international gives the impression that he'd be in a current U.S. squad.

No, Glass is saying "full international" because he is a  "full international." How you are able to come up with any other interpretation is plain stupid. He can't unbecome a full international. 

21 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

If he played for his country he's an international. 

Hopefully that clears up any confusion. 

Our team is full of full internationals... Joe Lewis once sat on the bench for England. Considine, Gallagher, Devlin are all international defenders. Hayes, McGinn, Brown, Hedges, Kennedy, McGeouch international midfielders. McCrorie was in an international squad once. Jenks played for England under 7s. The boy Ngwenya even got called up to the Malawi team or something. Everyone's an "international" these days. Doesn't really mean anything.

33 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Our team is full of full internationals... Joe Lewis once sat on the bench for England. Considine, Gallagher, Devlin are all international defenders. Hayes, McGinn, Brown, Hedges, Kennedy, McGeouch international midfielders. McCrorie was in an international squad once. Jenks played for England under 7s. The boy Ngwenya even got called up to the Malawi team or something. Everyone's an "international" these days. Doesn't really mean anything.

Whether it does or doesn't mean anything is, I think, a matter of personal interpretation. 

Given his playing time at international level, I'm not expecting some Dutch Total-Football experience from him. In fact, I'd be happy with SPFL level. 

He is, nevertheless, a 'Full' international for the United States. 

40 minutes ago, perthshirered said:

No, Glass is saying "full international" because he is a  "full international." How you are able to come up with any other interpretation is plain stupid. He can't unbecome a full international. 

How would you then differentiate between:

- Andy Robertson: an international starting XI captain who played every minute of Scotland's Euro 2020 Finals

- Declan Gallagher: who was in the squad, but never saw a minute of playing time at the EURO 2020 Finals

- Andy Considine: who achieved 3 Scotland caps and will never play for Scotland again, and

- Scott Brown: a retired international

Yes, we could call them all 'full' internationals, but that's not really telling the whole story, is it?

IMHO, Glass was bigging up Ramirez and his 2 caps (which I have no problem with) but make no mistake, that's what he was doing.

• Dildo 1
3 hours ago, Scotty_Toronto said:

- Andy Robertson: an international starting XI captain who played every minute of Scotland's Euro 2020 Finals

- Declan Gallagher: who was in the squad, but never saw a minute of playing time at the EURO 2020 Finals

- Andy Considine: who achieved 3 Scotland caps and will never play for Scotland again, and

Yes, we could call them all 'full' internationals, but that's not really telling the whole story, is it?

IMHO, Glass was bigging up Ramirez and his 2 caps (which I have no problem with) but make no mistake, that's what he was doing.

A full international is someone who’s been capped by their national team. All those players you have listed above are full internationals. Ramirez is a full international too. Not sure what the difficulty is here? 

if Glass had called him a ‘current’ international, that’d be a different story.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, Scotty_Toronto said:

nah - I'm in Mexico for 4 weeks, heading back to Houston from Cape Town - ZA just announced another alcohol sales ban, so as well i am out 

get covid vaccine, and might come up and see you  

1 game of rounders was enough to bore me in Houston, let alone go to the football

17 minutes ago, KenDodd'sDad said:

“Lifelong dream” to play for the Dons says the lad from California, okey dokey.

What exactly did he say?

You've quoted "Lifelong dream", but omitted the "to play for the Dons" in your quotation, so what was his lifelong dream?

I could accept his "lifelong dream" was to play abroad or even specifically in Europe, but highly doubtful or just playing up to the fans to say it was to join Aberdeen

25 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

What exactly did he say?

You've quoted "Lifelong dream", but omitted the "to play for the Dons" in your quotation, so what was his lifelong dream?

I could accept his "lifelong dream" was to play abroad or even specifically in Europe, but highly doubtful or just playing up to the fans to say it was to join Aberdeen

He said "Personally I could not be more excited to be part of this historic team, it has been a life long dream of mine that I did not believe I was going to be able to achieve, but somethings are inevitable and we made it happen"

On the surface, sounds like he's talking about playing for the Dons. But I think it's less specific than that, maybe about playing in Europe. I can't imagine he's even heard of the Dons till we showed an interest. I hope he realises that when Glass told him that he'll be playing in Europe, he doesn't think we'll be in the Champions League playing Barca or Bayern! 

9 hours ago, Scotty_Toronto said:

A cap is a cap. It doesn't revert back to a beret or a bandana if you go on to win fewer than five caps. Likewise, the reason Spaniards are known for sporting their sombreros is nothing to do with the fact that many of them seem to have hundreds of appearances for their country. 

17 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

Watched 15mins of Atlanta v NYRB yesterday at half time of Belgium/Portugal. 

15mins was enough.

Fine it hard to believe it could have been worse than watching Aberdeen 2019/20 - 2020/21

11 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Only a full international if you get a cap. So literally the first name you put down isn't one

10 hours ago, Scotty_Toronto said:

Glass isnt offering to tell the whole story. He's just calling him an international cause he is. He is bigging him up too, which is good. So what?