Glass & Gunn interview

I thought both Glass and Gunn interviewed well. We appear to be moving in the right direction and are attempting to modernise the overall structure of the club. Potentially replicating how Atlanta FC operate.

I'm genuinely excited for the new season to start . Quietly confident Gurr will be a decent player for us. JET and Ramirez bring the most intrigue for me.

I'm anticipating two more players in the form of a young loanee striker from England and potentially a winger.

7 hours ago, jamiesd said:

I think he's happy with what he’s got. Which is really worrying looking at the centre of defense

7 hours ago, mutant said:

We need Another centre half

7 hours ago, TheRock said:

might as well not publicly say he's desperate for a centre back

It's a good point.
I do think we will get one in some shape or form, be that a Devlin stop gap or something more permanent.

Off topic, always meant to ask you.
Are you related to Jock Steen?

I'm looking forward to seeing how things go this season. 

There was definitely improvements in the way we got forward, the speed, the movement and the chances we created was a huge improvement on the football we've been playing for a few seasons (it did leave us a bit more exposed at the back mind you).  It will be interesting to see how we get on with a pre-season and a transfer window completed, especially with Hedges back in the side, 

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing how things go this season. 

There was definitely improvements in the way we got forward, the speed, the movement and the chances we created was a huge improvement on the football we've been playing for a few seasons (it did leave us a bit more exposed at the back mind you).  It will be interesting to see how we get on with a pre-season and a transfer window completed, especially with Hedges back in the side, 

100% agree on this but the two at the back when attacking is a concern. Hoban and Taylor were obviously cut as they were not going to cope with the system. 

I don't see Gallagher, Devlin or especially Considine being any better placed. If it is all going to work out perfect it's gonna need to be someone new in beside Gallagher with a lot of pace.

9 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

100% agree on this but the two at the back when attacking is a concern. Hoban and Taylor were obviously cut as they were not going to cope with the system. 

I don't see Gallagher, Devlin or especially Considine being any better placed. If it is all going to work out perfect it's gonna need to be someone new in beside Gallagher with a lot of pace.

Hopefully the players will be ready for it tactically and know what they are doing, as opposed to last season where they were thrust into this new way of playing and presumably mistakes made and/or players not suited to the new system.  Also Glass will now be aware of what he has and what people can and can't do, I hope....

Watching the interview right now. 

That fucking question

"After Ryan Fraser left, it was said that we'd never allow a player to leave in similar circumstances. Why was Ethan Ross contract ALLOWED to be run down?"

Idiots obviously don't realise that players can choose not to sign a new contract, it's their choice whether they want to move on after the contract is up, i.e. Ethan Ross and Fraser! 

1 hour ago, Chester Don said:

I thought it was a very good interview, very open, honest and it’s clear that there is a considered plan in place for the club.  

Feels like a club turning a corner, in confidence and that’s more than good enough for me.  

Genuinely not pissing on parade, I want that to be true as much as anyone, but close season is a fairly safe environment to be turning corners confidence wise.  Proof in the pudding is in a months time.  I always said I’d judge him on how he approached to two, four hopefully six crucial euro ties, not before.

Dont have any problem with him laying foundations now though, and happy that he is fronting it up with the media not hiding on holiday in Dubai.

Ethan Ross is a wee bit different i think because of Seb Ross. Seb ended up in part time football (great news for him it was just one season and now he's back full time again) so obviously that will be a concern for the family. If Ethan Ross has a chance to go to England it's best for him and the Dons. We just need to find a club willing to part with enough cash. I'd say £200k is the going rate so maybe some negotiation on that could be a sell on clause for a lower fee or maybe even a player on loan for this season in lieu of a lower fee.

Edit. I actually think it's a good thing that we are getting a fee for Ethan Ross. We don't get enough small fees for our youngsters (e.g. Shankland and Anderson) and it all adds up to some reward for developing players.

• Upvote 1

I'm slightly sceptical if I'm being honest. A lot of repetition and bridging when answering questions from both. 

I don't agree with Glass when he says if we rolled out these six signings in one day then people would be buzzing. What has that hypothetical situation got to do with anything really? Wasn't a great answer to genuine concerns about the rebuild, and I'm OK with the signings he's made so far although think he needs at least two more. 

I did like his bullish approach to some issues. I get where he's coming from on Gurr but I think he could have been a bit more diplomatic and liked what he said about signing players who are not fillers. 

At the end of the day though what matters is the outcomes on the pitch, so I'll reserve my judgement until then. 

4 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Watching the interview right now. 

That fucking question

"After Ryan Fraser left, it was said that we'd never allow a player to leave in similar circumstances. Why was Ethan Ross contract ALLOWED to be run down?"

Idiots obviously don't realise that players can choose not to sign a new contract, it's their choice whether they want to move on after the contract is up, i.e. Ethan Ross and Fraser! 

Poor prep work by Rob McLean. That question could easily have been asked in a way that didn't sound so stupid.

Youth contracts are a tough thing to balance. You want to secure your emerging talent, no problem, but don't want funds to be wasted if some of the youths are unable to break through.

Miko Virtanen is a prime example of something that I don't understand. I've not seen enough of the guy to pass judgement, but the loon is 22 now (23 in January) and if he's not breaking through by now, what is his value to the club?

Surprised he played down Ruth being able to challenge for a regular start.

Get the feeling they are waiting on increased bids for Ferguson which may answer the questions on the number 7 / 6 vacancies and if Devlin only on a 6 monther at best why give him the number 6 shirt.

4 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Poor prep work by Rob McLean. That question could easily have been asked in a way that didn't sound so stupid.

Youth contracts are a tough thing to balance. You want to secure your emerging talent, no problem, but don't want funds to be wasted if some of the youths are unable to break through.

Miko Virtanen is a prime example of something that I don't understand. I've not seen enough of the guy to pass judgement, but the loon is 22 now (23 in January) and if he's not breaking through by now, what is his value to the club?

He got some game time at the tail end of last season. Thought he was excellent in his first game, but was a bit anonymous the next time.  Would like to see him kicking on next season though, might end up seeing him out on loan though. 

9 minutes ago, Sheeptastic said:

I'm slightly sceptical if I'm being honest. A lot of repetition and bridging when answering questions from both. 

I don't agree with Glass when he says if we rolled out these six signings in one day then people would be buzzing. What has that hypothetical situation got to do with anything really? Wasn't a great answer to genuine concerns about the rebuild, and I'm OK with the signings he's made so far although think he needs at least two more. 

I did like his bullish approach to some issues. I get where he's coming from on Gurr but I think he could have been a bit more diplomatic and liked what he said about signing players who are not fillers. 

At the end of the day though what matters is the outcomes on the pitch, so I'll reserve my judgement until then. 

Glass could very simply summarised as that he is extremely confident that the experience players they have taken on board are all players who will directly compete for first team places, with a message that they will need to earn their place and their experience will help to develop, promote and integrate the exciting potential he sees from some of the youth players.

This blend of experienced recruits along with the developing youth will provide Aberdeen with an exciting product on the pitch which will see a positive return in results.

My thoughts - There is no doubt that this is a transition period which will not be a well oiled mechanism or finished article come the first game. There will be developments and improvements made in the coming windows that will continue the "prawcess"

At the end of the day, we as fans will be happy to see plenty of effort and direction of improvement. We saw a glimpse of that with the introduction of some youth at the end of last season and an attempt to keep better possession rather than lumping it long all the time. I'm looking forward to the season, I'm extremely hopeful and positive that we will see a better team than was on show for the last couple of seasons and am willing to give Glass and his team some time to instill that progression.

COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!

3 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

He got some game time at the tail end of last season. Thought he was excellent in his first game, but was a bit anonymous the next time.  Would like to see him kicking on next season though, might end up seeing him out on loan though. 

Do or die for Virtanen tbh. If hes getting put out on loan at almost 23 years of age, time to cut our losses. Im confident he will get plenty of minutes next year though. Can fit in at RB or any of the midfield positions so plenty opportunity. 

6 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

That's a stretch.

3 minutes against Motherwell in January, 1 minute against Kilmarnock in February.

5 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

Do or die for Virtanen tbh. If hes getting put out on loan at almost 23 years of age, time to cut our losses. Im confident he will get plenty of minutes next year though. Can fit in at RB or any of the midfield positions so plenty opportunity. 

Gurr / Ramsay will be our RB's, with McCrorie as additional cover beyond that. Glass even cited McLennan can play RB ahead of Virtanen in the interview.

Midfield will be tough to get game time too with our numbers there, even if Ferguson was to leave (Brown, Ferguson, McCrorie, Campbell, McGeough, Ojo (ok he might be gone as well))

Just now, afc1903mad said:

Gurr / Ramsay will be our RB's, with McCrorie as additional cover beyond that. Glass even cited McLennan can play RB ahead of Virtanen in the interview.

Midfield will be tough to get game time too with our numbers there, even if Ferguson was to leave (Brown, Ferguson, McCrorie, Campbell, McGeough, Ojo (ok he might be gone as well))

Very true - just seems all the more bizarre him getting a new deal if he isnt going to get minutes. 

7 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

For RB there is McCrorie, Gurr, Ramsay and even McLennan to pick up the minutes.

For central midfield there is Brown, Ferguson, McCrorie, Jenks, Campbell, McGeouch, Ojo, Virtanen and Barron.

For attacking midfield we can add in McGinn and Hedges.

So I would not say there is plenty opportunities for Virtanen.

Just now, Tord31 said:

For RB there is McCrorie, Gurr, Ramsay and even McLennan to pick up the minutes.

For central midfield there is Brown, Ferguson, McCrorie, Jenks, Campbell, McGeouch, Ojo, Virtanen and Barron.

For attacking midfield we can add in McGinn and Hedges.

So I would not say there is plenty opportunities for Virtanen.

If he's good enough there is. If he doesnt get the minutes, hes not good enough, which makes it bizarre he got a new deal at his age. 

Can't help but like Glass when you hear him talk. Says all the right things. Let's hope he can back it all up on the pitch.

McCrorie must be seen as a RB after being given the number 2 shirt. That number, along with 3, shouldn't be anywhere else on the pitch other than full back.

1 minute ago, Andy_123 said:

Can't help but like Glass when you hear him talk. Says all the right things. Let's hope he can back it all up on the pitch.

McCrorie must be seen as a RB after being given the number 2 shirt. That number, along with 3, shouldn't be anywhere else on the pitch other than full back.

Yeah totally - Shinnie at number 3 was viewed as nothing but a left back.