Sign in to follow this  
Woody21

Woody's Sixfold

On 7/18/2021 at 9:27 PM, Studebaker-90 said:

Good shout with Rahm woodster. I had him outright, if the cunt could putt he would have won it, probably. 

I know and apparently he played superb tee to green in first round but, as you say, putting let him down in a 71.

That is where he lost it.

However an ex golf professional mate of mine is convinced Rahm will win a few majors before he is done.

Bob Mcintyre was 8 under in his final 2 rounds.  Keep an eye on him in future. 

Aye McIntyre was unfortunate to be on the "wrong" half of the draw going out late Thursday and early Friday and catching the worst of the wind on both those days. I doubt he'd have shot low enough to have troubled Morikawa much even if he had been in the other half but would surely have been 3 to 4 shots better off which would have put him 3rd/4th. And of course going out of bounds on the 14th on Sunday ruined his chances of top 5 as well.

He's still got a bit of a weakness on 4ft putts for par that he needs to address if he's going to lift a major. Will be interesting if he gets one of Harrington's picks for the Ryder Cup team. As it stands he's 13th in the race to Dubai (but 7th European in that list...actually ahead of McIlroy) and 10th in the overall Ryder points standings (ahead of Casey but who is ahead of him in the race to Dubai). If he can win or finish 2nd in a tournament between now and the cut off date, it could get him in automatically. Harrington has 3 picks.....if he was picking today he'd surely be in the team.

I was there all week and yes the late draw on Thursday in particular was two shots tougher but for the second time you're saying he has a weakness from 4 feet and for the second time I'm asking, why are you saying this?

• Dildo on Bonnet 2

Because I've watched him a lot in the past 12 months and he has....

2 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Because I've watched him a lot in the past 12 months and he has....

He's holed 91 and missed 8 from 4 feet this year. Is this worse than average?

• Dildo on Bonnet 1

3 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

He's holed 91 and missed 8 from 4 feet this year. Is this worse than average?

Stats from 2019 posted in golf.com say that on the PGA tour 91.43% of putts from 4 feet were holed

The stats you give show McIntyre with a 91.21% success rate.

So pretty much bang on the average. I'd suggest major winners have to be a a bit better than average and especially when it comes to putting. 

I'm honestly not trying to put the loon down, he is clearly exceptionally talented and I really hope he does go on and make the transition into a major winner. Making the cuts in all his first 7 attempts in them is an excellent record and he's had a couple of top 10 places in them (both at the Open). My hunch is his best chance will be at the Masters with his length off the tee and the lack of really punishing rough

He should try being more accurate with his putting in general.

Bound to win a major if you putt everything first time.

👍

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

Stats from 2019 posted in golf.com say that on the PGA tour 91.43% of putts from 4 feet were holed

The stats you give show McIntyre with a 91.21% success rate.

So pretty much bang on the average. I'd suggest major winners have to be a a bit better than average and especially when it comes to putting. 

I'm honestly not trying to put the loon down, he is clearly exceptionally talented and I really hope he does go on and make the transition into a major winner. Making the cuts in all his first 7 attempts in them is an excellent record and he's had a couple of top 10 places in them (both at the Open). My hunch is his best chance will be at the Masters with his length off the tee and the lack of really punishing rough

91 out of 99 is actually 91.92%. The average for the last five completed years on the PGA Tour is actually 91.905% if you count all 957 golfers conversions or 91.903% if we take the average of the 5 years between 2016 and 2020.

That's the PGA Tour stats and there's a difference to be aware of. The Shotlink data counts everything between 3 and 4 feet as a 4 foot putt.

"For all holes where putting distance was determined with a laser, the percent of putts made when the ball is greater than 3 feet and less than or equal to 4 feet from the hole. In order to be ranked, a minimum of ten attempts must be made".

Bob's putting stats from 4 feet are all putts between 3.5 and 4.5 feet. The average length of a 4 foot putt on the Shotlink data is 3.5 feet, Bob's is 4.0 feet.

He's just come off his best putting tournament of the last 12 months despite holing nothing longer than the 9 footer at the last that round to make the cut on Friday (but missing nothing inside 10 feet) and I can assure you that he does not "have a weakness from 4 feet" (or indeed any other distance). I know you're not trying to "put the loon down" but it is my job to know in this case and putting is NOT a significant area for focus and improvement. In fact, for the last five events of 2020, his putting was better than anybody has achieved for a whole season and he is comfortably top 10 level in the world for his last 19 events going back to the start of November.

I can understand where you might have got the wrong impression if you were watching on TV at the Scottish on Friday and Saturday (I was there that week too) where he missed 5 times from 6 feet and under (but nothing on the Thursday and Sunday) but that was unusual for him and they all have rounds, weeks and months when Driving, Par 3 Accuracy, Short Approaches, Holing Out etc. etc. is best or worst.

Major winners Morikawa, Johnson and McIlroy are actually less than average putters but MacIntyre's putting is a real strength, as the commentators continuously recognise. At still 24 years of age, you are right to acknowledge his excellent major record - 12th in the Masters too on his first visit - and we are hoping for the momentum to carry on into Minnesota this week and in the WGC in early August. Since he first started competing at this level, there hasn't been a better Scottish golfer and whilst we have hopes for some others to break through, in my opinion he will be the top-ranked Scot for at least the next 5 years and probably 10+.

Edited by rocket_scientist
  • Dildo on Bonnet 1

@Ten Caat to be fair to Rocket - he normally speaks pish but he kens what he's speaking about in this instance. And probably better suited than anybody in the world to comment on this particular subject. 

He's still a cunt though. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, maryhilldon said:

Do you know Mcintyre RS? 

Hasn't he mentioned it?