1 hour ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Ojo wasn't deployed to cut out of attacks, I can't remember him shirking any tackles. What I found impressive was that he was able to break beyond the back line and get himself in good positions, the problem is he's a sitting midfielder and not used to getting in goal scoring positions. 

It's important with Brown in there though, that there are people around him able to do the leg work both ways. 

I don't mind Funso in this new role, with midfielders breaking into the box causing trouble, much better than we were used to last season. 

My assumption would probably be that once Gallagher comes in, RMC will go where Ojo was on Thursday, provided Ferguson isn't sold. The role Ojo played was made for him, I feel. 

Is Ojo a sitting midfielder though? Or do we just think he is because our tactical genius of an ex-manager deemed him to be so?

20 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

Is Ojo a sitting midfielder though? Or do we just think he is because our tactical genius of an ex-manager deemed him to be so?

I think thats the case. He was clearly hopeless in the role McInnes played him in at the start of last season.

Glass said he (Ojo) played in an inside left position as he quickly understood what was being asked in the new tactics. 

2 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

I think that's where he's played his whole career. But aye, clearly Glass sees something different in him. 

I thought he was excellent on Thursday. 

51 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I think that's where he's played his whole career. But aye, clearly Glass sees something different in him. 

I thought he was excellent on Thursday. 

Conventional thinking has no place in Glassball.

This is equivalent to when the Dutch brought the world Total Football.

Really enjoyed the game on Thursday... A team that was pressing and not siting back waiting for the counter attack is all right in my book. They wanted the ball, the fought for it and created more chances in 90 minutes that a McInnes team would have in 900 minutes... well almost...

Long may it continue.

31 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Red TV goals highlights after Ferguson's second at around 2.54/2.55. 

Maybe I'm mishearing but when Tosh is asked "did you forsee this?", it sounds like he says "Fuck, wow" 

Sure it wasn’t “fuck no” ?

9 hours ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

My assumption would probably be that once Gallagher comes in, RMC will go where Ojo was on Thursday,

I've a feeling he'll play RMC as a CH we have plenty midfield options. I want another CH but I think he's going to go with Devlin. Suppose much depends on what happens with Ferguson 

3 hours ago, redstrummer said:

I've a feeling he'll play RMC as a CH we have plenty midfield options. I want another CH but I think he's going to go with Devlin. Suppose much depends on what happens with Ferguson 

If Devlin really does have a broken foot bone then it's a 6 week healing time minimum. But can be as long as 3 to 6 months. Knowing Devlin, it's more likely to be within the longer timeframe. We surely must be intending bringing someone else in before the transfer window closes. Still plenty time to do so, even if it's just a loan 

2 hours ago, StandFree1982 said:

Is Gallagher back for the 2nd leg? 

If so, I'd swap him for McCrorie and maybe stick McCrorie in midfield instead of Ojo. Or just keep the back 4 as is and have Gallagher on the bench unless we need him. 

Id rather rest Considine (already picked up a booking) and see how McCrorie / Gallagher partnership works

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

Due a rest ?

we have played 1 serious game.

I wouldn't say he is "due" a rest, but no need to play in a game where the tie is effectively finished.

Gallagher will benefit from some gametime, so its just a question of who he comes in for.

Naturally, he would come in for McCrorie on the right side and leave Considine left side, but given 3 yellow cards ends up with a totting up suspension, its safer to rest Considine and leave him available for Sunday.

26 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Id rather rest Considine (already picked up a booking) and see how McCrorie / Gallagher partnership works

Not for me

McCrorie should only be utilised at CH when there really are no other options. As has been said, Considine has only played one match. Him and Gallagher are likely to be our first choice pairing until we bring in another central defender. That might happen this week. It could take till the last day that the transfer window is open until. Might even be in January (surely to hell not though).

I can see the value in protecting Brown's legs, being 2 years older than Consi, whenever the chance avails itself and though it might make sense to do it in Sweden, I still don't think we will . Similarly with JET who we know doesn't last the pace for a full 90 minutes, can't be sure how he would fare starting on Thursday then having to face United less than 72 hours later, although doubtless the loon himself will be desperate to play.

On 7/25/2021 at 11:45 AM, King Street Loon said:

Everyone was a sitting midfielder to McInnes, which is why we've still got about 100 of them at the club.

If we're playing a 4132 like we did last week, I'd like to see the player on the left of the three a bit more in the mould of Hedges - someone with pace who can carry the ball a bit. Ojo did okay last week (significantly better than he ever did before) but he's a bit of a square peg in a round hole playing there. Obviously the 3 playing in front of Brown need to do a lot of running and work up and down, but that position would be more suited to someone like Hayes than Ojo (Hayes was horrific last week, but he's the type of player who has energy and workrate but can also carry the ball and create).

5 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

There is also the possibility that SG sees Mcrorie and Gallagher as the main 2! With consi cover at CB and LB

McCrorie does bring pace to the backline which is needed, but I think he'll play midfield most of the season and fill in at the back when needed. Considine played well last week and I suspect the plan will be for him and Gallagher to form a partnership that can do the defending bit, and Brown will be close by them to take the ball and play it out from the back.

25 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Everyone was a sitting midfielder to McInnes, which is why we've still got about 100 of them at the club.

If we're playing a 4132 like we did last week, I'd like to see the player on the left of the three a bit more in the mould of Hedges - someone with pace who can carry the ball a bit. Ojo did okay last week (significantly better than he ever did before) but he's a bit of a square peg in a round hole playing there. Obviously the 3 playing in front of Brown need to do a lot of running and work up and down, but that position would be more suited to someone like Hayes than Ojo (Hayes was horrific last week, but he's the type of player who has energy and workrate but can also carry the ball and create).

Ojo still has the inability to control a ball. Not sure if he's somehow intimidated by playing in Dons top, or Wigan are absolutely brutal and happy with him, but I don't know how a professional footballer can be that bad at controlling and passing a football. 

Just now, afc1903mad said:

Its not about protecting Considine's legs, its about protecting from another yellow in what should be a meaningless game.

Id like to get to a point where we can swap out key players early with Sunday in mind.

They were a decent threat going forward, but we shouldn't be losing this by 4, so I'd play a vastly different team.

Team for me

Lewis

Gurr Gallagher McCrorie McKenzie

Brown

McLennan Campbell McGinn

Jenks

Ramirez

Subs: McGouch to come on for Brown, Jet to come on for Jenks, Hedges on for McGinn, all hopefully around the 60 minute mark

Far too many changes in the starting line up. 

We shouldn't be too complacent.  We can make up to 5 changes during the 90mins depending on how the game progresses 

43 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Not for me

McCrorie should only be utilised at CH when there really are no other options. As has been said, Considine has only played one match. Him and Gallagher are likely to be our first choice pairing until we bring in another central defender. That might happen this week. It could take till the last day that the transfer window is open until. Might even be in January (surely to hell not though).

I can see the value in protecting Brown's legs, being 2 years older than Consi, whenever the chance avails itself and though it might make sense to do it in Sweden, I still don't think we will . Similarly with JET who we know doesn't last the pace for a full 90 minutes, can't be sure how he would fare starting on Thursday then having to face United less than 72 hours later, although doubtless the loon himself will be desperate to play.

Its not about protecting Considine's legs, its about protecting from another yellow in what should be a meaningless game.

Id like to get to a point where we can swap out key players early with Sunday in mind.

They were a decent threat going forward, but we shouldn't be losing this by 4, so I'd play a vastly different team.

Team for me

Lewis

Brown

McLennan Campbell McGinn

Jenks

Ramirez

Subs: McGouch to come on for Brown, Jet to come on for Jenks, Hedges on for McGinn, all hopefully around the 60 minute mark

Edit: I've left Ojo only because he went off injured and no point in pushing any knocks

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Team for me

Lewis

Brown

McLennan Campbell McGinn

Jenks

Ramirez

Edit: I've left Ojo only because he went off injured and no point in pushing any knocks

You must be joking starting with that team

One ,max two changes to start and make more subs later on depending how the game is going.

8 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Far too many changes in the starting line up. 

We shouldn't be too complacent.  We can make up to 5 changes during the 90mins depending on how the game progresses 

1 minute ago, Joe pike said:

You must be joking starting with that team

One ,max two changes to start and make more subs later on depending how the game is going.

I do agree that its a number of changes from last weeks game, but only because we've built up such a cushion and have a game on the Sunday. Thats why I was thinking a team capable of seeing the tie out and then go back to the strongest lineup for the league opener.

were playing twice a week and all going well, will potentially be doing so all throughout August.

This may be the only game in that run that we have the option to rotate as much.

1 minute ago, afc1903mad said:

I do agree that its a number of changes from last weeks game, but only because we've built up such a cushion and have a game on the Sunday. Thats why I was thinking a team capable of seeing the tie out and then go back to the strongest lineup for the league opener.

were playing twice a week and all going well, will potentially be doing so all throughout August.

This may be the only game in that run that we have the option to rotate as much.

Lose a couple of early goals with a brand new line up and you're setting yourself up for a difficult night with a scratch team. 

12 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Team for me

Lewis

Brown

McLennan Campbell McGinn

Jenks

Ramirez

Ok I can see the sense in your reasoning, for leaving out Considine. Whether we do or not remains to be seen.

I totally agree about Ojo, pointless risking anyone carrying a knock.

11 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Team for me

Lewis

Brown

McLennan Campbell McGinn

Jenks

Ramirez

That midfield will get destroyed. The three infront of Brown will get bullied off the park.