2 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

With the tie won, thoughts must be turning to the Utd game a week on Sunday, so how  do we see us lining up in the return leg next Thursday?

Gallagher will surely start, as must McKenzie. McGinn, McLennon, Kennedy, McGeough and Campbell might get decent game time too.

Lewis

Ramsay Gallagher Considine McKenzie

McGeough Campbell 

McGinn Kennedy McLennon

Ramirez

Too early to start resting folk for me.  Players need the competitive games and setting out with a back up team like that only invites unnecessary pressure. 

9 minutes ago, scottymc said:

For any of the Hacken supporters having a look at the forum. That was a game going on about 9-3 let alone 5-1. Your defence is pish. 

your support are also clearly arrogant arseholes. I hadn’t even heard of your club before last night and you want to slate us. 
Next week we will sit in and hit you on the counter and wouldn’t surprise me if we beat you again.  

Bjorn from Abba, can you hear me? Bird from Roxette, can you hear me? Your boys took one hell of a beating!

Most enjoyable Dons game I've seen in 2-3 years. Could have been about 7 or 8 goals easily never mind 5! The opposition fell apart to be honest, but that was all down to how relentless we were, which was impressive for a first competitive game.

McCrorie brings pace to the centre of the defence which I think is valuable - not sure what will happen when Gallagher is back. Ramsay looked excellent on the ball and going forward. Considine (other than almost getting sent off) was superb. Brown smashed into a few tackles and swaggered around with the kind of confidence we've been lacking for a long time - that will rub off on others, and did last night. Ferguson was brilliant, and Hedges looked like the Hedges of last season, willing to pick up the ball and drive forward. JET won almost everything in the air and most times found a man with it - compare that to Cosgrove who just fell over every time the ball was played to him... world's apart! You can already see a partnership with Ramirez forming - he was also excellent leading the line, seems to work hard but has a nice touch and gets into the right positions. Credit to Ojo who looked a lot better than he did before. 

The only negative for me was Hayes - he seems to have regressed massively since he came back from Celtic - hardly ever seemed to find a man with a pass (similar to most of last season), not sure if he'd still do a job pushed further forward, but regardless I'd probably pick McKenzie over him at LB now.

Overall it was excellent, and hopefully a sign of what's to come!

• Upvote 2
20 minutes ago, scottymc said:

For any of the Hacken supporters having a look at the forum. That was a game going on about 9-3 let alone 5-1. Your defence is pish. 

your support are also clearly arrogant arseholes. I hadn’t even heard of your club before last night and you want to slate us. 
Next week we will sit in and hit you on the counter and wouldn’t surprise me if we beat you again.  

Had a look over there and they're utterly shell shocked. One poster claims that losing 5-1 to the ugly sisters would have been bad but to us it's embarrassing. They still believe they're better than any team in Scotland ?

18 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

With the tie won, thoughts must be turning to the Utd game a week on Sunday, so how  do we see us lining up in the return leg next Thursday?

Gallagher will surely start, as must McKenzie. McGinn, McLennon, Kennedy, McGeough and Campbell might get decent game time too.

Lewis

McGeough Campbell 

McGinn Kennedy McLennon

Ramirez

Why so many changes . Brown will definitely start the new season as will Ferguson . McLennon took his goal well but I'm far from convinced about him , fine as a sub. Kennedy hope we can punt him 

McCrorie did well so Gallagher may have to bide his time . There's also Jenks to consider , he may come on for JET , not sure where he plays yet 

6 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Most enjoyable Dons game I've seen in 2-3 years. Could have been about 7 or 8 goals easily never mind 5! The opposition fell apart to be honest, but that was all down to how relentless we were, which was impressive for a first competitive game.

McCrorie brings pace to the centre of the defence which I think is valuable - not sure what will happen when Gallagher is back. Ramsay looked excellent on the ball and going forward. Considine (other than almost getting sent off) was superb. Brown smashed into a few tackles and swaggered around with the kind of confidence we've been lacking for a long time - that will rub off on others, and did last night. Ferguson was brilliant, and Hedges looked like the Hedges of last season, willing to pick up the ball and drive forward. JET won almost everything in the air and most times found a man with it - compare that to Cosgrove who just fell over every time the ball was played to him... world's apart! You can already see a partnership with Ramirez forming - he was also excellent leading the line, seems to work hard but has a nice touch and gets into the right positions. Credit to Ojo who looked a lot better than he did before. 

The only negative for me was Hayes - he seems to have regressed massively since he came back from Celtic - hardly ever seemed to find a man with a pass (similar to most of last season), not sure if he'd still do a job pushed further forward, but regardless I'd probably pick McKenzie over him at LB now.

Overall it was excellent, and hopefully a sign of what's to come!

Sans headband this season. Wise man.

It’s a fantastic start, better than most probably predicted. We knew very little about our own side let alone the opposition but besides a shaky start we looked full of purpose and played on the front foot. Hacken aren’t a bad side but there weakness is at the back so Glass got the tactics right in allowing us to press forward and especially encouraging Ferguson to test the keeper from range. I expect his performance will throw a spotlight on him for potential suitors.

There was the odd error but we got away with them and hopefully those were just down to lack of match sharpness.

Assuming we get the job done next week, don’t think we’ll have much to fear with either Vienna of Breidablik. Fancied Vienna to come through that once fairly easily but its finely poised.

7 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Lewis

McGeough Campbell 

McGinn Kennedy McLennon

Ramirez

dont get this at all

Would like to see jet who was our best player in the first half hacken couldnt cope - let our team get used to playing with him

OJO out of position was a revelation and let him play more in an unfamiliar role

McGinn why? for his deadball - no need if Ramsey on the pitch

McGeough and campbell one or the other

take brown out? would ask why best GPS tracking shows him 2nd lowest only to Joe lewis

Would like to see Jenks would like to see a little more of Gurr

But play the same - control the game and then make subs - if we are in charge at half time and still 4 goals to the good the game is over -change out as many as you want then. 

38 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Lewis

McGeough Campbell 

McGinn Kennedy McLennon

Ramirez

Too many changes for me, even with a 4 goal lead. Players are still building up match fitness and need to play.

Ojo obviously picked up a knock and so i'd agree with putting McGeouch in for him. 

Gallagher I''m sure will start and that leaves a bit of a conundrum as to who partners him. Hayes last night......if you are being generous you'd say it just wasn't his night. If you are being brutally honest he was horrendous. There is certainly a case for taking him out the side, pushing Consi over to left back and leaving McCrorie to partner Gallagher in central defence, with Campbell maybe coming in to allow us to leave Brown on the bench......his 36 year old legs will need rested whenever the chance avails itself and I think this is the ideal chance to do so. I do suspect however that Hayes will get a chance to redeem himself and it will therefore be McCrorie pushed into midfield to take Brown's place.

I'd also have JET on the bench. His legs had basically gone by the 70th minute and I think it's more important to have him fresh for the United match. McGinn might have similar problems with his legs but if he can give us 70-75 minutes he'll have done his job then a wee cameo from JET at the end (or maybe Jenks given a bit longer run out).

Final change for me would be leaving Hedges out. Don't want him risking picking up an injury. Replaced by either Kennedy or McLennan. On balance, I'd go for McLennan, both for his goal last night plus I think he'd give us a bit better cover physically in defensive situations.

42 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Lewis

McGeough Campbell 

McGinn Kennedy McLennon

Ramirez

Nah, too many changes.

Start strong & if the tie is in the bag, make wholesale changes from 60 minutes in.

Remember we’re behind Dundee Utd in terms of games played so going as strong as we can for 60 minutes won’t do any harm. 

Hacken ARE a decent team, they were the most threatening in the first 20 mins and again had a spell in the second half when they scored that they put us on the back foot. It cannot be understated how good last nights result was for us.

When we hit the post at 0-0, it seemed to give our boys a bit more confidence that they could do something in the game. Once Considine scored (totally called it) the team settled in and started to control the game.

Excellent start of the season, we should go over there and control the game. An opportunity to give Gallagher a start (in for Considine). I'd also put McKenzie in ahead of Hayes for next weeks game

1 minute ago, RAZOR said:

Attacking free flowing football last night.

Some decent link up going forward.

Ojo still absolutely mince IMO, should have had a hatrick in the first half. 

Still missing a CB in there which I'm sure will come over the next few weeks.

Ojo did alright, but if he wants to stay in team he needs to do some serious work with Alan Russell. 

These things don't stand out that much when you've just scored 5, but there will be plenty of tight games where we simply can't afford to have the forward playing midfielders wasting chances. 

1 hour ago, minijc said:

McGregor gets a lot of abuse but that's one thing he was able to do when he had Brown behind him at Celtic, it's noticeable and I hope we either get a great season out of Ferguson or we get a great deal that allows us to bring in someone to replace him.

I'm convinced Jenks will slot in there if an acceptable bid comes in for Ferguson

I would not make as many changes as others.

Gallagher needs to start to get the 90 under his belt so perhaps that means McCrorie (rb? cm?) or Considine (lb?) are shuffled elsewhere as it would be some shout to drop either of them.

Other than that i'd maybe restrict JET to 45 mins but I would start him again. Maybe have him share the 90 with Hedges.

Beyond that I wouldn't be making unnecessary changes.

11 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Nah, too many changes.

Start strong & if the tie is in the bag, make wholesale changes from 60 minutes in.

Remember we’re behind Dundee Utd in terms of games played so going as strong as we can for 60 minutes won’t do any harm. 

Aye, fair fucks. Maybe the club have or will arrange a friendly for Monday to give some much needed match practice to a good few of the above. 

I’m just thinking back to league season openers of yore, ironically often v Utd, when we’ve traveled back after a Euro tie and been clearly fatigued by the exertions, and in this case, there is no need.

23 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Ojo did alright, but if he wants to stay in team he needs to do some serious work with Alan Russell. 

These things don't stand out that much when you've just scored 5, but there will be plenty of tight games where we simply can't afford to have the forward playing midfielders wasting chances. 

Aye, granted he was playing massively out of position. Not sure there is a place for him in his old position given Brown and McRorie will inevitably slot in there most weeks.

5 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

Ramsay is a talented boy, but have to remember that with his lack of experience, he’ll still likely throw in the odd stinker… important the fans don’t jump all over him when that inevitably happens.

He looks very good, but it seems we are managing the time he has on the pitch. Not seen him play a full 90 yet (I can't recall anyway).

Gurr looked impressive when he came on as well.

I think we have good coverage for RB this season

9 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Aye, fair fucks. Maybe the club have or will arrange a friendly for Monday to give some much needed match practice to a good few of the above. 

I’m just thinking back to league season openers of yore, ironically often v Utd, when we’ve traveled back after a Euro tie and been clearly fatigued by the exertions, and in this case, there is no need.

I think there's a friendly with Cove for the ones that didn't play? 

11 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Like the McLean header 1-0 victory after we came back from Kazakhstan  ?

27 minutes ago, RAZOR said:

Attacking free flowing football last night.

Some decent link up going forward.

Ojo still absolutely mince IMO, should have had a hatrick in the first half. 

Still missing a CB in there which I'm sure will come over the next few weeks.

Come away min - Ojo had a good game. You have a blinkered viewpoint of him. Think he could have scored the hattrick and youd still say he was shite.