League cup

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Grays Babylon 1875 said:

Sevco and St Johnstone through to the semi finals.

So that's the second most successful club in Scotland of recent years through....   with Sevco. 

It's interesting... Calum Davidson on paper was a similar appointment to Stephen Glass. No real experience of managing a team, but had been coaching and assisting for a while, and had a decent career as a player. Both had connections with the club they were appointed too and both came in to replace managers who had been at both clubs for a long time and done "reasonably" well, but things were going a bit stale. 

Davidson has come in with zero budget, has brought a clear system and style of play to his team, led them to 2 trophies and another cup semi-final... Glass has had a fairly substantial budget, has a system and style that's quite hard to identify and has had an abysmal start results wise. Davidson lost his 2 best players in the recent window, while Glass has retained his more valuable assets.

I know folk will say that Saints have had a slow start to the season - they always seem to for some reason - and yet they are still in the cup semi final. I'm not sure who the backroom staff are at St Johnstone, maybe they have more experience than Glass' bunch. Just an interesting comparison.

5 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

It's interesting... Calum Davidson on paper was a similar appointment to Stephen Glass. No real experience of managing a team, but had been coaching and assisting for a while, and had a decent career as a player. Both had connections with the club they were appointed too and both came in to replace managers who had been at both clubs for a long time and done "reasonably" well, but things were going a bit stale. 

Davidson has come in with zero budget, has brought a clear system and style of play to his team, led them to 2 trophies and another cup semi-final... Glass has had a fairly substantial budget, has a system and style that's quite hard to identify and has had an abysmal start results wise. Davidson lost his 2 best players in the recent window, while Glass has retained his more valuable assets.

I know folk will say that Saints have had a slow start to the season - they always seem to for some reason - and yet they are still in the cup semi final. I'm not sure who the backroom staff are at St Johnstone, maybe they have more experience than Glass' bunch. Just an interesting comparison.

Has Davidson had a turnover of players that Glass has had?

Davidson lost a couple of key players at the end of the window, so it till be interesting to see if he is able to sustain or if he can reinvigorate his team

1 hour ago, Don_Corleone said:

If we are going to compare Callum Davidson against Glass, it should be noted that St. Johnstone only got 7 points (2 wins and a draw) in their first 10 games last season.

Edit: and 17 points from the first 20 games, just imagine the uproar on here if that was the results from a modern dons manager

42 minutes ago, shut up meg said:

If we are going to compare Callum Davidson against Glass, it should be noted that St. Johnstone only got 7 points (2 wins and a draw) in their first 10 games last season.

Edit: and 17 points from the first 20 games, just imagine the uproar on here if that was the results from a modern dons manager

That's true, and for the sake of comparison Glass needs a little bit more time - expectation levels are different at both clubs though. St Johnstone finished 7th the season before Davidson took over, and finished 6th in his first season winning 2 cups. Aberdeen finished 4th the season before Glass took over (and 4th in the season in which he took over), so you're expecting a bit more from Aberdeen than St Johnstone. In Glass' first 11 league games in charge we have amassed 12 points. He might get another 8 points in the next 9 games, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if he doesn't the way things are looking. He also won't be winning 2 cups in his first season, and he'll not be maintaining (never mind improving) our league position. 

I just think it's an interesting comparison - St Johnstone are a well run club and seem to be good at identifying managers who can maintain their "level" and even take them forward. 

29 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

That's true, and for the sake of comparison Glass needs a little bit more time - expectation levels are different at both clubs though. St Johnstone finished 7th the season before Davidson took over, and finished 6th in his first season winning 2 cups. Aberdeen finished 4th the season before Glass took over (and 4th in the season in which he took over), so you're expecting a bit more from Aberdeen than St Johnstone. In Glass' first 11 league games in charge we have amassed 12 points. He might get another 8 points in the next 9 games, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if he doesn't the way things are looking. He also won't be winning 2 cups in his first season, and he'll not be maintaining (never mind improving) our league position. 

I just think it's an interesting comparison - St Johnstone are a well run club and seem to be good at identifying managers who can maintain their "level" and even take them forward. 

Our fans would be moaning like fuck if we played like St Johnstone. It is undoubtedly effective but also boring as fuck. I'm sure they only scored something like 9 goals at home last season.

5 hours ago, shut up meg said:

SF draw

Rangers V Hibs

Celtic V St. Johnstone

What a shocker!

St Johnstone know what they're doing in cup competitions - it wouldn't surprise me to see them getting through to the final. Hibs are the form team this season so they could easily put Rangers out. A Hibs v St Johnstone final would be great - Saints to win their 3rd cup in a row... crazy!

• 1 month later...

Hibs getting 17,500 tickets for the cup final.

Celtic getting the vast majority, playing the final in their home city and will obviously get their fans sat in "The Celtic End".

Honestly what is the point. Sometimes it feels like Scottish football would be so easy to catapult into a much bigger thing but the SPFL and SFA just can't see past the short term importance of giving every advantage to that pair of cunts in Glasgow. Shite

EDIT: Just spotted this is being covered in the 10,000 limit thread!