Calvin Ramsay

6 hours ago, Tommy said:

Story going about that Everton sent a scout to watch home on Saturday. They are very impressed and reckon they will get him for a fraction of the fee they were quoted for the hun. AFC need to get his contract extended to ensure we get a huge fee when it suits us. This ‘fraction of the fee’ pish is so wrong.

Well what do we reckon the hun quoted them?

20 million?

I'd imagine that's what they ask minimum given their history of bloated self importance for the value of their assets*

If the above were the figure they can easily have him "for a fraction".

That fraction being 3/2.

So 30 million.

thanks now.

*except their stadium, under the previous incarnation

• Haha 1

I think a move for him now would be too early. He needs to play 40-50 first team games and have time to develop. He'll get that at Aberdeen and won't be chucked out the team after a mistake or two (like he would be if he went down south). 

Hopefully we extend his contract by a year, get to see him play for another 18 months or so, then sell him for a big pile of cash

19 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I think a move for him now would be too early. He needs to play 40-50 first team games and have time to develop. He'll get that at Aberdeen and won't be chucked out the team after a mistake or two (like he would be if he went down south). 

Hopefully we extend his contract by a year, get to see him play for another 18 months or so, then sell him for a big pile of cash

Out of interest, would anyone accept £5M maybe with a sell on) with a loan back for the season?

4 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

His contract runs until 2024 so that is the absolute minimum we should be entertaining. We should be looking at doubling his wage and getting another year or 2 out of him though.

2024 is practically just 2 1/2 years away.

Its not that long so the value will likely only diminish unless we get him to extend.

7 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Out of interest, would anyone accept £5M maybe with a sell on) with a loan back for the season?

Yes.......but I'm not sure it would be possible to do it right now. The transfer window is closed, there's nothing to stop any club buying a player outwith a window but they cannot be registered as a player until the next window opens, So if Everton bought him, his registration with us would end, but they couldn't register him with the English FA and they couldn't loan him back to us as we couldn't register the loan back until January. I think....(not sure if there are any loopholes to circumvent this)

Right now he's pure potential. his ceiling is high but there are always a number of factors that come into play that could prevent him from reaching it. £5m plus a loan back for the rest of the season is a deal that would suit all parties. 

However in reality, if there's any truth in these Everton rumours, I doubt they'd be offering more than £1.5 - 2m at most. And their English arrogance and sense of entitlement would make them think we are bound to accept.

7 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It's ages away min.  The best part of three years. Behave. 

Some folk get more excited at the prospect of a transfer fee than anything else. 

Its not really that far away.

Letting players go into their last year of their contract seriously diminishes the negotiating hand. Christmas is only a few months away, from where he will only be 18 months left before going into that last year.

I hear we may already be renegotiating with him at the moment, so if we get that extension to 2025 or 2026, then that would be really good, even if it includes a release fee clause.

Its not about getting excited for a transfer fee, I'd rather keep him to play, but we are discussing what the club may likely accept, regardless of the length of the contract left

I’m sure they were probably already planning to put a new contract to him on better terms, even if it just extended it by an extra year. It wouldn’t fend off interest but might convince him to stay another season with us before leaving.

But let’s be honest if some EPL team comes in for him with an offer of more than 3 or 4 million, he’ll be gone. He has more potential than McKenna or Ferguson but a lot less experience.

41 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

I’m sure they were probably already planning to put a new contract to him on better terms, even if it just extended it by an extra year. It wouldn’t fend off interest but might convince him to stay another season with us before leaving.

But let’s be honest if some EPL team comes in for him with an offer of more than 3 or 4 million, he’ll be gone. He has more potential than McKenna or Ferguson but a lot less experience.

And if he's got any sense, he'll make sure his new contract has a release clause in it, not relying on a gentlemen's agreement. Good for the club too, if the price is clear to all parties.

1 hour ago, thurso said:

He’s as good if not better than both Patterson and the wee fellow who left Celtic for the German team both were quoted of being about £10 million. So that’s what we should be aiming for 

Fair point from thurso - at last ?

Everyone is comparing him to Patterson but Celtic got 11 million from Leverkusen for fitshisface. Admittedly Celtic have plenty more in the bank than us so dont have to sell cheap..... but he didnt appear to be worth anything like that

7 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Fair point from thurso - at last ?

Everyone is comparing him to Patterson but Celtic got 11 million from Leverkusen for fitshisface. Admittedly Celtic have plenty more in the bank than us so dont have to sell cheap..... but he didnt appear to be worth anything like that

Only slight difference is that Frimpong had played for about a season and a half for Celtic and played against higher quality in Europe to assess him against.

Not to say Ramsay can't surpass him, but it will still be limited opposition that Ramsay is measured against.

On that stance, its laughable to think we can command a similar fee.

2 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Only slight difference is that Frimpong had played for about a season and a half for Celtic and played against higher quality in Europe to assess him against.

Not to say Ramsay can't surpass him, but it will still be limited opposition that Ramsay is measured against.

On that stance, its laughable to think we can command a similar fee.

Aye, and looked absolutely gash on each occasion.

2 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

If we accept that for him it would be a massive disappointment. Doig is rated at 5m having played a season. How does Ramsey compare to Doig? I havnt seen much of him but if he's better than Ramsey he must be some player. Ramsey is on a different planet to any other youth player I've ever seen in a dons shirt in my lifetime. I just hope we can atleast enjoy him till summer and he's Scotland no1 RB by that time and all of a sudden we can command a massive amount more. 

53 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

Aye, and looked absolutely gash on each occasion.

Did he? I honestly don't know to be honest.

My recollection was he was an absolute speed demon and was the forefront of much of Celtics attacking creations.

He's now playing regularly in the Bundesliga which is afar better league than ours so seems like he can't be that bad.

57 minutes ago, slippers said:

If we accept that for him it would be a massive disappointment. Doig is rated at 5m having played a season. How does Ramsey compare to Doig? I havnt seen much of him but if he's better than Ramsey he must be some player. Ramsey is on a different planet to any other youth player I've ever seen in a dons shirt in my lifetime. I just hope we can atleast enjoy him till summer and he's Scotland no1 RB by that time and all of a sudden we can command a massive amount more. 

I don’t think Hibs are going to get £5m for Doig regardless of whether they rate him at that or not. Doig has more experience but I don’t think he’s any better than Ramsay. Ramsay is on a par with Patterson but Patterson has the advantage of more experience, more European games, Scotland recognition. If Ramsay continues the way he’s going he’ll be in the Scotland squad by the end of the season you’d think and probably pick up the young player of the year award. These kind of things boost a players value I’d guess. 

Ryan Fraser looked on a completely different level when he broke into the team and didn’t stay long - but his contract was up. 

You could argue that McKenna looked impressive from the moment he broke into the team and his progression was pretty rapid to Scotland caps (mainly due to our lack in that position) which boosted his value.

Scott Wright showed in flashes that he had the ability to be a top player in our league at least, and began to show it consistently when McInnes eventually played him in a position and with other players that suited him. 

those are the only ones in recent years I can think of - going back a bit further there were guys like mcnaughton and Anderson and prior to that Jess, Booth, Wright etc

Ramsay has all the attributes to go right to the top though, similar to Fraser did - albeit he took an unusual route.

32 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

I don’t think Hibs are going to get £5m for Doig regardless of whether they rate him at that or not. Doig has more experience but I don’t think he’s any better than Ramsay. Ramsay is on a par with Patterson but Patterson has the advantage of more experience, more European games, Scotland recognition. If Ramsay continues the way he’s going he’ll be in the Scotland squad by the end of the season you’d think and probably pick up the young player of the year award. These kind of things boost a players value I’d guess. 

Ryan Fraser looked on a completely different level when he broke into the team and didn’t stay long - but his contract was up. 

You could argue that McKenna looked impressive from the moment he broke into the team and his progression was pretty rapid to Scotland caps (mainly due to our lack in that position) which boosted his value.

Scott Wright showed in flashes that he had the ability to be a top player in our league at least, and began to show it consistently when McInnes eventually played him in a position and with other players that suited him. 

those are the only ones in recent years I can think of - going back a bit further there were guys like mcnaughton and Anderson and prior to that Jess, Booth, Wright etc

Ramsay has all the attributes to go right to the top though, similar to Fraser did - albeit he took an unusual route.

You say Patterson has more experience but Ramsey cant be all that far behind Patterson now given that he starts every game and Patterson has played 1 or 2 games. Absolutely no doubt that Ramsey should be in the Scotland squad next time it comes around but I don't think he will be. Absolutely baffling how Stephen O'donnell is ahead of him.

6 minutes ago, slippers said:

You say Patterson has more experience but Ramsey cant be all that far behind Patterson now given that he starts every game and Patterson has played 1 or 2 games. Absolutely no doubt that Ramsey should be in the Scotland squad next time it comes around but I don't think he will be. Absolutely baffling how Stephen O'donnell is ahead of him.

Calvin Ramsay has played as much his year as Patterson did last year.

Of course, Patterson is ahead this year as a result of playing against Dunfermlin (90 mins), Aleshkert (90 minutes covering Tavernier's absence) and 90 minutes for Scotland against Moldova.

A few more games and Ramsay will have played more first team games than Patterson and is nearly two years younger

2 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Calvin Ramsay has played as much his year as Patterson did last year.

Of course, Patterson is ahead this year as a result of playing against Dunfermlin (90 mins), Aleshkert (90 minutes covering Tavernier's absence) and 90 minutes for Scotland against Moldova.

A few more games and Ramsay will have played more first team games than Patterson and is nearly two years younger

Wonder what Patterson makes of being second fiddle to Tavernier. Could really hold back his development the lack of game time. I just don't agree with players not playing for club starting for national team. Ramsey should start and Patterson 2nd choice until he gets a run and proves he should be ahead of Ramsey. In all honesty I despise international football but if it lifts the value of our players I welcome it.

1 minute ago, slippers said:

Wonder what Patterson makes of being second fiddle to Tavernier. Could really hold back his development the lack of game time. I just don't agree with players not playing for club starting for national team. Ramsey should start and Patterson 2nd choice until he gets a run and proves he should be ahead of Ramsey. In all honesty I despise international football but if it lifts the value of our players I welcome it.

Totally agree and I argued that Patterson was undeserving of being called up to the national squad given his gametime this year.

Also made a mockery of it for him to play against Moldova and then have a mystery injury which ruled him out of the Austria game. Its strange that theres been no reports on what his injury is, with Steve Clarke opting not to declare. Normally, you'll hear if it was like an ankle knock or a muscle strain.

Tavernier is their no1 RB, but you wonder if Balogan potentially is now ahead of Patterson as the back-up RB

2 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Ramsay has done well, makes the signing of Hernandez all the more baffling and concerning, surely the club knew 18 months ago that Ramsay had a chance of breaking through.

Not really.

18 months ago, Ramsay was still 16 and probably not physically ready. Even this year, i think the 1 year signing of Gurr was to allow cover.

At the start of his breakthrough, Ramsay was struggling to last 90 minutes, although has made a steady improvement on that front,

Cover last year and even this would have been good planning to manage his development and limit the risk of a breakdown

• Upvote 1

I think Ramsay should be moved up the pitch to a more attacking position. We’ve now got Bates and Gallagher as CB, so play McRorie at RB and move Ramsay to wide midfield or right wing. He’s definitely better going forward and he’s not afraid to take his man on and his crossing is good. Another advantage is that Ojo can be punted out of the team.

• Upvote 1

What’s everyone’s thoughts on MacKenzie… arguably he’s been just as good as Ramsay this season. He’s possibly better defensively and does seem quite effective going forward - he just lacks the same pace and maybe the confidence to beat his man every time. I know he is 2-3 years older as well.

Does he have the potential to get a move and play at a higher level as well, or is he going to just end up as a good SPL level player?