Calvin Ramsay

54 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Not really.

18 months ago, Ramsay was still 16 and probably not physically ready. Even this year, i think the 1 year signing of Gurr was to allow cover.

At the start of his breakthrough, Ramsay was struggling to last 90 minutes, although has made a steady improvement on that front,

Cover last year and even this would have been good planning to manage his development and limit the risk of a breakdown

Ramsay was on the first team bench in August 2019 so he was already highly thought of even then.

20 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on MacKenzie… arguably he’s been just as good as Ramsay this season. He’s possibly better defensively and does seem quite effective going forward - he just lacks the same pace and maybe the confidence to beat his man every time. I know he is 2-3 years older as well.

Does he have the potential to get a move and play at a higher level as well, or is he going to just end up as a good SPL level player?

I think he's decent but Ramsay's ceiling is way higher. Ramsay looks like his potential could be 75+ Scotland caps and playing for an established top English/European team. 

McKenzie looks more like a run your contract down, move to Blackburn, move to Preston then move to Hibs while collecting around 7 caps. Which is better than most players from our youth system and would return a healthy bank balance

53 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on MacKenzie… arguably he’s been just as good as Ramsay this season. He’s possibly better defensively and does seem quite effective going forward - he just lacks the same pace and maybe the confidence to beat his man every time. I know he is 2-3 years older as well.

Does he have the potential to get a move and play at a higher level as well, or is he going to just end up as a good SPL level player?

Yep I think he could be the surprise and go onto a better career

He is absolutely solid, which I love

34 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I think he's decent but Ramsay's ceiling is way higher. Ramsay looks like his potential could be 75+ Scotland caps and playing for an established top English/European team. 

McKenzie looks more like a run your contract down, move to Blackburn, move to Preston then move to Hibs while collecting around 7 caps. Which is better than most players from our youth system and would return a healthy bank balance

I think you're wrong 

1 hour ago, starryfish said:

Ramsay was on the first team bench in August 2019 so he was already highly thought of even then.

What does that mean?

August, so probably trying to send a message to the chairman that the squad depth was limited whilst at the same time allowing a young prospect the experience of being with the first team wither realistically getting a chance to play.

On the bench against Hearts in August 2019, but not seen in the squad for the remainder of the season. He didn't suddenly get shit then so I think it was a calculated plan.

34 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Mckenna, Frank Ross, Danny Rogers, ethan ross,  Dean campbell,  Bruce Anderson , nicky low

14 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

So you think mcinnes gave all of above a fair chance? LOL

2 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Mckenna - Yes

Campbell - Yes

Low - barely. 

the rest NO.

Well, they sure did prove McInnes wrong. Incredible he denied these immense talents regular starts.

The ones who never made it weren't good enough. That's not on McInnes.

Only ones I'd give a shout to aren't listed... Michael Rose should have got more of an opportunity and maybe Daniel Harvie

8 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Well, they sure did prove McInnes wrong. Incredible he denied these immense talents regular starts.

Only ones I'd give a shout to aren't listed... Michael Rose should have got more of an opportunity and maybe Daniel Harvie

I don't think that was really the point. His point was about giving youth a chance, and ended up pointing out a list of players who most weren't given any chance at all.  (rightly or wrongly). 

11 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Come on now. "an accident"?!

Wasn't like he accidently named the wrong player, put McKennas name on the 11 rather than someone else. He was in there because a) the current back 2 were shite and b) McInnes must have thought he was ready. 

More or less.

The back 2 were totally shite and still he did'nt give McKenna a chance.

Only when we got totally horsed by Motherwell in the cup did he give him a game.

That was the following week against Motherwell again when we beat them

Don't think McKenna was dropped again after that.

30 minutes ago, Redmist1903 said:

I'd give you Mckenna but even that was an accident.

Hahahaha the lengths folk will go not to give McInnes any credit

28 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

I don't think that was really the point. His point was about giving youth a chance, and ended up pointing out a list of players who most weren't given any chance at all.  (rightly or wrongly). 

Most of those players did get a chance though. He just judged them not to be good enough once they had their chance.... and for the most part appeared to be right. Ethan Ross and Bruce Anderson probably should have got a few more games... it's up to them to prove they were up to it away from Aberdeen

50 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Wasn't like he accidently named the wrong player, put McKennas name on the 11 rather than someone else. He was in there because a) the current back 2 were shite and b) McInnes must have thought he was ready. 

If McKenna's phone hadn't been switched off while he was golfing he'd have been away to Livingston on loan the season he broke through

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Would McInnes think Ramsey or McKenzie were ready to be regular first team starters if he was here now? I'm thinking he'd have McCrorie right back and a Greg Leigh type left back.

What a poor list of players to use to try and prove McInnes gave youth a decent chance in his time here.

McKenna, Campbell, Low - yes

Frank Ross (he was injured a fair bit wasn't he?), Rogers, Ethan Ross, Bruce Anderson - no

And as mentioned there are plenty other examples. Michael Rose, Jack McKenzie... 2 more no's for players who have since proved they aren't useless and should have had more of a chance while they were here.

He was terrible for giving youngsters a chance.

• Upvote 3

You could argue about all this till the cows come home, but the hard reality is this - He's gone and it doesn't matter thinking "What would Derek do" with regards to players now. 

Back on topic - Ramsey to Everton on paper would be a decent move for him, but in reality, he'd likely not be anywhere near the first team and spent a year playing reserve football, or loaned out maybe. He's maybe better going down the Fraser route and plying his trade at a smaller, lower division club with more chance of game time and experience. 

6 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Fair point from thurso - at last ?

Everyone is comparing him to Patterson but Celtic got 11 million from Leverkusen for fitshisface. Admittedly Celtic have plenty more in the bank than us so dont have to sell cheap..... but he didnt appear to be worth anything like that

I think you will find my points are always fair it’s just you don’t agree with some ??

2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Was harvie not a complete cretin?

39 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

You could argue about all this till the cows come home, but the hard reality is this - He's gone and it doesn't matter thinking "What would Derek do" with regards to players now. 

Back on topic - Ramsey to Everton on paper would be a decent move for him, but in reality, he'd likely not be anywhere near the first team and spent a year playing reserve football, or loaned out maybe. He's maybe better going down the Fraser route and plying his trade at a smaller, lower division club with more chance of game time and experience. 

Everton only have 32 year old Seamus Coleman at RB, Godfrey and Holgate (both CBs) had to play at RB last season so I wouldn’t be expecting Ramsey to be shipped out on loan if Everton did sign him.

He’d make the bench most weeks and play in the cup games, that wouldn’t be a bad thing especially when being coached by Benitez