Calvin Ramsay

5 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on MacKenzie… arguably he’s been just as good as Ramsay this season. He’s possibly better defensively and does seem quite effective going forward - he just lacks the same pace and maybe the confidence to beat his man every time. I know he is 2-3 years older as well.

Does he have the potential to get a move and play at a higher level as well, or is he going to just end up as a good SPL level player?

Remember there was talk emanating from someone who is usually reliable that we were very interested in signing the Breidablik left back in the run up to the transfer window closing.

Nothing came of it of course but if there was a genuine interest, I think it would have been a different scenario to that of signing Gurr, who is obviously there purely as cover for Ramsay. If we had brought in the Icelandic boy, it would have been to play him as first choice. 

I don't see MacKenzie as being a saleable asset (as in going for a large fee). He's probably got enough about him to be a steady SPL level player but not an absolute star. 

Ramsay is easily a far bigger asset for us than Ferguson.absolutely no doubts about that. Any talk of Ramsay being of less value (both to team/general play & in terms of transfer fee value) are ridiculous.

Cormack/Glass allow him to go on cheap they are in for serious backlash from support. More than any other player we have lost on cheap I’d say & also more so than the ridicule the board took for the Dodds + fee for Winters back in the day, which I think still remains one of our worst deals in our history 

3 hours ago, AndrewC said:

A Brentford scout was saying some very positive things about Ramsey the other day.

Anyone that’s watched him this season would find very little bad to say about him, if at all. Especially with such little experience.

The lad is immense. The way he drives forward & consistency of his balls into box (open play or set pieces) are unreal for such a young player at Aberdeen. Cannot remember last time we had someone so consistent at that. Especially that young/inexperienced. Seriously cannot be underestimated just how good/much potential this lad has. He is already miles ahead of ‘the great Patterson’ ? in this respect.

Even if his defensive side takes time (no surprise if that happens given the shite around him) then he can be used on RW instead of pish like MacLennan.

I genuinely think Ramsay is the biggest player to ever come through our youth system. Eclipsing the likes of Jess even. 
If we lose him on cheap/too early I will be devastated & current board will be under protection watch.

4 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Anyone that’s watched him this season would find very little bad to say about him, if at all. Especially with such little experience.

The lad is immense. The way he drives forward & consistency of his balls into box (open play or set pieces) are unreal for such a young player at Aberdeen. Cannot remember last time we had someone so consistent at that. Especially that young/inexperienced. Seriously cannot be underestimated just how good/much potential this lad has. He is already miles ahead of ‘the great Patterson’ ? in this respect.

Even if his defensive side takes time (no surprise if that happens given the shite around him) then he can be used on RW instead of pish like MacLennan.

I genuinely think Ramsay is the biggest player to ever come through our youth system. Eclipsing the likes of Jess even. 
If we lose him on cheap/too early I will be devastated & current board will be under protection watch.

Steady on

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Jess (my favourite Dons player ever) never really fulfilled his career potential - he should have become a top international player and been a star in the EPL or similar.

you could argue that Ryan Fraser has risen higher than Jess ever did.

based on that metric Ramsay could go higher still - he has similar potential.

I still think Jess was the best we’ve ever produced ability wise though.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Jess (my favourite Dons player ever) never really fulfilled his career potential - he should have become a top international player and been a star in the EPL or similar.

That Clydebank wanker didn't help Jess's career. 

9 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

I think that the likes of Leighton, mcleish, miller, Black, are up there too

On 9/14/2021 at 5:32 PM, Millertime said:

Yep

Name one who has went on to better things since us deciding he wasn't good enough

Anderson MAYBE, but early days

Shankland went on to become a Scotland international......no mean feat in the face of competition from the likes of Ollie McBurnie and Ollie Burke

2 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Boy, would you like to stay at Aberdeen for a few hundred quid a week, or sign for an EPL team for £10k + a week?

no idea if hes an Aberdeen fan or not, but will make no difference when the figures are put in front of him.

He may want to stay in his home city for a while longer with his family and friends playing regularly. Still learning the game and every chance of an international call up as well.

1 hour ago, Bournemouth Gee said:

He may want to stay in his home city for a while longer with his family and friends playing regularly. Still learning the game and every chance of an international call up as well.

If he's offered the chance to sign for Everton (or any club in the EPL) you can be sure he's not hanging around. 

As for the international call up.......for sure if he's playing in England. But while he's with us, nope not happening for at least another 12-18 months, unless we have a massive injury crisis wiping out Patterson, O'Donnell and McGinn. Even though I don't rate him anywhere near as highly, I'm certain Clarke would pick Ralston ahead of him right now too. U21 internationals will have to suffice for Ramsay and tbh that's no bad thing......getting fired into the full Scotland side too early could result in him getting a roasting and knocking his confidence to pot,

I accept that footballers often take the big bucks when they're first on the table and understand the risk:reward from a financial perspective. 

But in terms of the slightly longer game timing is everything in football. And the timing is wrong for him to go and join a big English club where he could get lost in their bloated squad system.  You've got to be pretty good as a youngster to get straight into the team at a top eight English Premier league club 

He's better at the moment to get his wages here bumped up in the short term to senior first team level and negotiate himself an exit clause whilst racking up some first team appearances at a decent level. 

If he goes down south with 100 first team games under his belt at 20 he'll be taken more seriously by the buying club as a first team player 

• Upvote 1
52 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

If he's offered the chance to sign for Everton (or any club in the EPL) you can be sure he's not hanging around. 

As for the international call up.......for sure if he's playing in England. But while he's with us, nope not happening for at least another 12-18 months, unless we have a massive injury crisis wiping out Patterson, O'Donnell and McGinn. Even though I don't rate him anywhere near as highly, I'm certain Clarke would pick Ralston ahead of him right now too. U21 internationals will have to suffice for Ramsay and tbh that's no bad thing......getting fired into the full Scotland side too early could result in him getting a roasting and knocking his confidence to pot,

So what you're saying is Clarke is right not to pick him yet?

36 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I accept that footballers often take the big bucks when they're first on the table and understand the risk:reward from a financial perspective. 

But in terms of the slightly longer game timing is everything in football. And the timing is wrong for him to go and join a big English club where he could get lost in their bloated squad system.  You've got to be pretty good as a youngster to get straight into the team at a top eight English Premier league club 

He's better at the moment to get his wages here bumped up in the short term to senior first team level and negotiate himself an exit clause whilst racking up some first team appearances at a decent level. 

If he goes down south with 100 first team games under his belt at 20 he'll be taken more seriously by the buying club as a first team player 

Or, his form might plummet and he never gets ghe chance of that money again

If Everton come in, you go

23 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

I genuinely think Ramsay is the biggest player to ever come through our youth system. Eclipsing the likes of Jess even

Behave.