Calvin Ramsay

Is it just me that thinks this guy can't defend? A massive percentage of the goals we seem to have lost this season when he is playing come from the area of the pitch he should be responsible for.

He's obviously decent going forward so to get the best out of this guy and to ultimately jack up his price we should consider going to 3 at the back again and push him forward into a wing back position. Get to the summer with potential suitors thinking his stats and data are the dogs bolloxs then sell him for >£5 million before it becomes apparent he can't defend. I've no confidence in our coaching team to improve his defensive capabilities.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Redmist1903 said:

Is it just me that thinks this guy can't defend? A massive percentage of the goals we seem to have lost this season when he is playing come from the area of the pitch he should be responsible for.

He's obviously decent going forward so to get the best out of this guy and to ultimately jack up his price we should consider going to 3 at the back again and push him forward into a wing back position. Get to the summer with potential suitors thinking his stats and data are the dogs bolloxs then sell him for >£5 million before it becomes apparent he can't defend. I've no confidence in our coaching team to improve his defensive capabilities.

Seem to remember the well renowned German right back, Manni Kaltz, who was part of the Hamburg team we defeated in the 1983 Super Cup.

He was fantastic going forward, with brilliant crossing ability if I recall correctly.

Was also a bit suspect with the defending side.

Someone else has said perhaps Ramsay should develop his game further forward like Bale did. Good shout that + if Glass does it and it works the transfer fee would undoubtedly rise.

9 hours ago, Redmist1903 said:

No it's not just you.

9 hours ago, Redmist1903 said:

Totally agree. 

10 hours ago, Redmist1903 said:

Whilst you might be correct, the goal last night was not his fault. He did his job by blocking the initial shot; the other defenders did their job by marking the other attackers; our midfielders were watching and following the ball, which meant there was nobody near Callaghan when the ball dropped to him.

As for Ramsay playing wing back, I think this is a great idea and I said this earlier in the season. I think he would also be effective as a right winger. If we were to change his position, I think this would more through accident than design, as I have no faith in our management team to think of something like this. And if that “accident” were to happen, our management team would all of a sudden have a “light bulb” moment and think, “hey, Calvin did great in that more advanced position. We should play him there more often. 

It’s galling that something as obvious as this (as well as many other completely obvious things) is crystal clear to so many of us amateurs of a fan message board, yet our, ahem, expert management team seem totally blind to this and other obvious changes that would drastically benefit the team.

7 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

I think a spell on the bench might do Ramsay the power of good. He's struggling just now and I've more confidence in the defence when he's not in it. 

I'm inclined to agree but my concern is he's seen as a high value asset and benching him isn't going to do his value much good, so wonder if they'll just keep plodding along and hoping he finally has a decent game at some point. Imo his attitude is really poor at the moment.

4 minutes ago, RUL said:

I'm inclined to agree but my concern is he's seen as a high value asset and benching him isn't going to do his value much good, so wonder if they'll just keep plodding along and hoping he finally has a decent game at some point. Imo his attitude is really poor at the moment.

What's more important. 

Defensive stability or player value?

Our defence is ropey enough as is without adding to the issue in persevering with a young loon who's obviously struggling.