Calvin Ramsay

1 minute ago, TheRedPrawcess said:

I said or otherwise, in this case the otherwise relating to us. £4m upfront was possibly the result of us holding out. Hold out for too much and risk the offer being withdrawn. See Andy Considine's latest contract negotiation.

Out of interest, how much do you want us to hold out for? A genuine question, I'm not baiting or taking the piss

Exactly. He’s a cracking young player but we aren’t talking about the next Cafu here. If Liverpool can’t deal at a certain number they’ll just get a similar prospect elsewhere 

5 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Most reports suggesting £4m rising to £6m now. 

I’d have liked to have seen us get a little bit more, but it’s not a bad deal for us if the add on’s are achievable.

He’s probably played as many games as Ryan Fraser did for us and we are getting 10x the money. We are finally getting better at selling players

38 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

I’d have liked to have seen us get a little bit more, but it’s not a bad deal for us if the add on’s are achievable.

He’s probably played as many games as Ryan Fraser did for us and we are getting 10x the money. We are finally getting better at selling players

I am surprised and remain skeptical we even managed to negotiate a sell on for Fraser... considering he only had 6 months left on his contract. Considering we got Ferguson for about 250k and no add on (?) in similar circumstances

Lest we forget the £400 contract offer to stay

I'd rather get the fee upfront. If he is a success at, for example, Liverpool why would he want to move on and why would they want to sell him? Addons are only worth anything, if realised. Piddling amounts for games played, national caps aren't worth it.

3 minutes ago, alscotoz said:

I'd rather get the fee upfront. If he is a success at, for example, Liverpool why would he want to move on and why would they want to sell him? Addons are only worth anything, if realised. Piddling amounts for games played, national caps aren't worth it.

If he's not good enough I'm sure they'd still get decent money for him from another club. Didn't they get about 9 million for Kent?

2 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

If he's not good enough I'm sure they'd still get decent money for him from another club. Didn't they get about 9 million for Kent?

Solanke, Jordan Ibe, even going back to Joe Allen or Charlie Adam. If you've played a few first team games other clubs in the second tier/lower end of the top flight in England will pay well over the odds.

2 hours ago, TheRedPrawcess said:

I said or otherwise, in this case the otherwise relating to us. £4m upfront was possibly the result of us holding out. Hold out for too much and risk the offer being withdrawn. See Andy Considine's latest contract negotiation.

Out of interest, how much do you want us to hold out for? A genuine question, I'm not baiting or taking the piss

I’d be very disappointed if £4 million was what we got because we held out. 

I’d honestly be holding out for a final deal of about £10 million. If that’s £7-£8 million pound with £3 or £2 million add ons so be it. But £10 million should be the final sum we should be at least aiming for.

I’m sorry I don’t buy into this idea of sevco should get more for Patterson because they have a bigger turn over, a precedent was set with him and we should be getting close to that for a player who is just as good

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, thurso said:

I’d honestly be holding out for a final deal of about £10 million. If that’s £7-£8 million pound with £3 or £2 million add ons so be it. But £10 million should be the final sum we should be at least aiming for.

I’m sorry I don’t buy into this idea of sevco should get more for Patterson because they have a bigger turn over, a precedent was set with him and we should be getting close to that for a player who is just as good

I don't know the in's and out's of these deals and negotiations, but I suspect you might be disappointed if that's your expectations.

12 minutes ago, thurso said:

Agree! We should be wanting atleast 5m upfront and another 4-5m in add ons. We will never sell players for good money if we can’t get good money for Ramsay. I don’t consider 4-6m good money for an elite prospect in this day and age. If he was playing in England it would probably be 15-20m. 

6 minutes ago, RUL said:

It’s like folk haven’t watched him play since December? He’s a great prospect but nobody is bidding 10m for him.

If you’d landed from outer space earlier this year and spent your weekends watching the Dons, and were told a club was bidding £4m for Ramsay, you’d be laughing like the Martians on the Smash adverts. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

Was interesting reading Joel Sked’s interview with Cormack yesterday. Our model now seems to be to overspend our budget by £2m every year and sell players on to service that overspend.

Now obviously, Covid has got in the way so no idea if we are “on track” after selling McKenna and Cosgrove, or whether the entire £4m Ramsay sale will be required to service previous years’ overspending.

I suspect the latter, which would explain Goodwin and Cormack basically putting Ramsay in the Topshop window a few weeks back. Desperation stakes?

Maybe Goodwin will see some of the Ferguson fee? 

You can't not rebuild this team without the money for Ramsay and Ferguson it's that far fucked... Now admittedly if we get anything above £6 million + add ons for the pair of them you can still only see Goodwin getting £2-2.5 million tops of that. But again if you can't build a team around the wages you've gained with the players you've lost and that lump of cash you're really probably not a very good manager...

The turnover at the club this summer is going to be gargantuan... I can't wait to see it but I'm also not sure Goodwin is going to deliver. Happy to be proven wrong...

1 hour ago, slippers said:

Agree! We should be wanting atleast 5m upfront and another 4-5m in add ons. We will never sell players for good money if we can’t get good money for Ramsay. I don’t consider 4-6m good money for an elite prospect in this day and age. If he was playing in England it would probably be 15-20m. 

So you want £5m upfront then and won't be happy with the reported £4m? You've made it seen like we're being shafted but you only want an extra 25%.

The add ons are a risk from the word go and not guaranteed and should be seen as a decent bonus if they happen. He could go there, be shite, be loaned out and ultimately shipped off to a Legaue 1 club with 6 month left on his contract in which case add ons could come to nothing. He's going to Liverpool remember with a highly regarded top class player in front of him in selection. His game time will likely be limited. It's not like Fraser or McKenna where they went Legaue 1 or Championship with the view of being a first team pick and working their way up the leagues. You'd expect any bonus surrounding Ramsay to have a minutes or appearance related caveat. I'm maybe wrong with that but that's certainly what I'd expect, in which case I'll not get too excited about add ons.

I like Ramsay, I really do I think he's a cracking player with plenty potential. I'd also be astonished if those in charge at the club attempt to hold out for more than £5m though, as I believe they'd fear the offer being withdrawn.

2 hours ago, thurso said:

Why is £10m the absolute minimum in your head?

ABSOLUTE minimum, no less

What about £9.8M?

45 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Was interesting reading Joel Sked’s interview with Cormack yesterday. Our model now seems to be to overspend our budget by £2m every year and sell players on to service that overspend.

Now obviously, Covid has got in the way so no idea if we are “on track” after selling McKenna and Cosgrove, or whether the entire £4m Ramsay sale will be required to service previous years’ overspending.

I suspect the latter, which would explain Goodwin and Cormack basically putting Ramsay in the Topshop window a few weeks back. Desperation stakes?

Having a £2m player to sell every year is a dangerous strategy. 
How many £2m sales have we had? 
Two? 

52 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Having a £2m player to sell every year is a dangerous strategy. 
How many £2m sales have we had? 
Two? 

Agreed. That’s a terrible way for us to operate. After we sell Ramsay and Ferguson we’ll have nobody worth £200k, let alone £2m. Barron maybe in a few years if he keeps up his good start.

25 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Absolutely terrifying if we overspent £2m last year and this is the squad we are left with

“It comes down to collaboration. When Jim took on the job he knew exactly what we were about and is absolutely embracing it."

Cormack added: “If we are going to spend £2million more a year than we are taking in income we need to monetise this over time by player sales.”

It just amplifies how bad last summer’s recruitment was and how much of a cunt Glass (and by definition Cormack) made of it.

2 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

It’s a big concern. We’ve been so poor that you could argue all the 4m needs reinvested. But like you say, the model suggests it’ll go towards covering the overspend plus loss of revenue. We don’t even have a right back, assuming Ramsay goes.

8 minutes ago, RUL said:

It’s a big concern. We’ve been so poor that you could argue all the 4m needs reinvested. But like you say, the model suggests it’ll go towards covering the overspend plus loss of revenue. We don’t even have a right back, assuming Ramsay goes.

Dont think 4m will even cover our overspend and lost revenues? Cant believe how badly they have fucked it up! We have to hope that we have the right man in Goodwin and that our recruitment perform ALOT better. I should be more worried about recruitment based on previous years but im actually more worried that we have appointed the wrong manager again. Fingers crossed we start strongly next season!

6 hours ago, TheRedPrawcess said:

I don't know the in's and out's of these deals and negotiations, but I suspect you might be disappointed if that's your expectations.

I know I’m going to be very disappointed when we come to sell Ramsay but if we don’t take a bit of a stand and sell our best prospect for 25 years for very good money what pittance are we going to get when we eventually come to sell our other young players that are going really well like Barron. You need to lay a marker down and then stick to it when it comes to other players. 

4 hours ago, Millertime said:

Why is £10m the absolute minimum in your head?

ABSOLUTE minimum, no less

What about £9.8M?

Where in what I said did I type the words absolute minimum in it. Is that you just putting words in to suit yourself