Calvin Ramsay

1 hour ago, Dandyesque said:

He's been outstanding in the 3 games this season. 

I'm struggling to think of recent players who've made a bigger impact coming through the youth system in their first few matches - Ryan Fraser maybe, but then he was an attacking player and never scored, so arguably Ramsay is doing his job better.

Going back quite a bit before that though

If you discount Scott McKenna's first four games then it was clear from the 5th game onwards he was going to be a mainstay in Aberdeen team and probably called up for Scotland etc.

1 hour ago, Tord31 said:

If you discount Scott McKenna's first four games then it was clear from the 5th game onwards he was going to be a mainstay in Aberdeen team and probably called up for Scotland etc.

McKenna also had a loan period that was underwhelming.

Ramsay has just burst in from nowhere. If he was playing for Celtic, Rangers or any of the top 40 clubs in England, he'd be a shoe-in for the Scotland squad already.

2 hours ago, Dandyesque said:

McKenna also had a loan period that was underwhelming.

Ramsay has just burst in from nowhere. If he was playing for Celtic, Rangers or any of the top 40 clubs in England, he'd be a shoe-in for the Scotland squad already.

If he played for the huns, he'd already have an imaginary £40M bid turned down for him from some anonymous club in Europe, and a handful of clubs from England "preparing" bids.  

4 hours ago, Tord31 said:

To be fair the first game was the massive improvement (controlled shitfest) against Motherwell.  He might not have been individually outstanding but as part of a four who at least seemed familiar with each other.....

16 hours ago, Dandyesque said:

I'm struggling to think of recent players who've made a bigger impact coming through the youth system in their first few matches - Ryan Fraser maybe, but then he was an attacking player and never scored, so arguably Ramsay is doing his job better.

Not recent,but what about Stephen Glass himself ! Sporadic appearances 1994-95 season of struggle.Had had a handful of games, mainly as a sub.Finally given his head in the play-off matches with Dunfermline and was superb.

16 hours ago, Dandyesque said:

It was instantly obvious that Ryan Fraser was destined to play at a higher level.  Just looked effortless, very composed and like he'd played in the team for years.  Ramsay is the closest to that I've seen since... I think the temperament of a player is important in that respect. 

From memory, I recall McNaughton looking equally as comfortable, when he was first introduced? 

17 minutes ago, graham said:

Not recent,but what about Stephen Glass himself ! Sporadic appearances 1994-95 season of struggle.Had had a handful of games, mainly as a sub.Finally given his head in the play-off matches with Dunfermline and was superb.

I thought the same, but I think McNaughton was about as good and more recent - plenty of room for argument there though.

27 years ago. Not many homegrown fullbacks in that time

17 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

McNaughton was superb in his early games, his debut being a wow. Russell Anderson was class from day one but for those who remember Andy Considine's debut, he had the same potential to be great. Unfortunately he was grossly mismanaged and yet his latent qualities still got him a national call up, despite never being deployed consistently in his best position, successive managers never seeing his potential and the bearded midget weegie hun rocket scientist cunt thinking LB was a good idea, the maddest thing since fuckhead orangeman's tombola. 

Anderson?  Can't agree there.

He looked miles off it, in the early days.  I used to be a season ticket holder when he first started out and I remember holding my head in my hands when he was named in the line-up - an absolute bombscare at times!  I thought he was hopeless and had little chance of making it.

Turned it around admirably though, to become one of the best Aberdeen players of the past 25 years.  Deservedly a Scottish International, and a regular in every Scotland squad, by the time he left for Sunderland. 

8 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

Anderson?  Can't agree there.

He looked miles off it, in the early days.  I used to be a season ticket holder when he first started out and I remember holding my head in my hands when he was named in the line-up - an absolute bombscare at times!  I thought he was hopeless and had little chance of making it.

Turned it around admirably though, to become one of the best Aberdeen players of the past 25 years.  Deservedly a Scottish International, and a regular in every Scotland squad, by the time he left for Sunderland. 

He was a central defender playing right back over that period though

3 hours ago, Dandyesque said:

He was a central defender playing right back over that period though

Yeah fair enough - but he was all over the shop and his distribution was awful too!  I would be amazed if there were many who expected him to develop into the player he later became.  I cannot believe R_S thought he was class from day one!  Everyone I sat with thought he was an absolute carthorse. I know it's typical of Aberdeen supporters - but my memory was that there were a lot of fans moaning at him!  Maybe R_S had seem something the rest of us couldn't appreciate?

Neither do I recall him being instantly brilliant when he got more time at CB either... it was a gradual process with Anderson.  I don't think he's comparable with McNaughton and Fraser - who were both instantly comfortable.

To be honest, Anderson is one of the reasons I hate seeing our fans being critical of the young players when they first come through.  There are so many factors involved.  I hate the way some lads are automatically branded 'shite' before they've had a proper crack of the whip.  Another guy, who I absolutely loathed at first, was Michael Hart - he was absolutely honking during his first spell at the club, but came back a different player!  Was actually one of our best players for a while, during the bad old days.... 

Difficult to remember fully but I thought Anderson improved steadily but did have some tough moments. He showed great character throughout. I'm sure there was a game v Dundee Utd where he made an unbelievable tackle and he just grew after that but I may be distorting memories. 

Fraser, Fyvie were both superb instantly. Every touch was good. I always remember thinking McNaughton and Glass were class from day one although it's over 20 years ago now so probably one of those where any bad performances have been forgotten. 

Its like the opposite of Michael Watt. Used to think he was unluckily viewed although I thought he was awful in a semi final loss to hearts. During lockdown watched a lot of old games and can't believe how many soft goals he gifted in his Aberdeen career. 

McNaughton was a great player coming through the ranks but I always thought there was an element of headless chicken about him, running up blind alleys, off the cuff, whereas Ramsay looks to have the complete package. I doubt McNaughton would have put that cross on Sunday right on Ramirez’s heed, for example.

On 8/3/2021 at 8:06 AM, Andy_123 said:

When the time comes, whatever the Hibs lad goes for, Ramsay should go for more. He’s better.

Can’t see him leaving after 5/10 games anyway. 

Ramsay hasn't proved anything yet over the course of a season. To say he's better is very much red tinted glasses. 

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, graham said:

I actually thought Ramsay's assist on Sunday was very Glass-esque. He used to like that stepover dummy to beat the opposition and whip in an early left footed cross. Other side obviously, but very similar technique. 

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

McNaughton was a great player coming through the ranks but I always thought there was an element of headless chicken about him, running up blind alleys, off the cuff, whereas Ramsay looks to have the complete package. I doubt McNaughton would have put that cross on Sunday right on Ramirez’s heed, for example.

MaNaughton was brilliant, skilful and a decent defender. He did lack confidence though and that Scotland call up completely derailed him for a bit. 

47 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

I actually thought Ramsay's assist on Sunday was very Glass-esque. He used to like that stepover dummy to beat the opposition and whip in an early left footed cross. Other side obviously, but very similar technique. 

Do you think Glass gets overlooked by Aberdeen fans a bit? I mean in terms of how good he was?  People talk about Fraser, Fyvie, Anderson etc, but very seldom does Glass come up, despite him being a very good footballer and did well down at Newcastle with some very good players alongside him. 

Just now, StandFree1982 said:

Do you think Glass gets overlooked by Aberdeen fans a bit? I mean in terms of how good he was?  People talk about Fraser, Fyvie, Anderson etc, but very seldom does Glass come up, despite him being a very good footballer and did well down at Newcastle with some very good players alongside him. 

I think he maybe does. Apart from Jess (maybe Booth) I'd say hes the most talented player we have brought through the system in my time of going to the football (born 1985). Criminal he only got 1 Scotland cap. 

Won the same in terms of silverware, as Anderson did who is classed a legend. 

2 hours ago, sheepcrooky said:

Russell definitely started his AFC career off slow and not spectacular. Yes, he was probably played out of position at right back, but I doubt anyone at the time thought, there’s a guy who will become legendary at AFC, when he first broke through. 

Russel certainly improved over the years with experience. Its something that defenders do benefit from getting that game time. Considine's a prime example, who would have thought back when he started his first game against Celtic way back in 2004, that he would go on to become a mainstay for the Dons and even play in a competitive Euro qualifiers for Scotland.

Attacking players tend to be the opposite in most cases, burst onto the scene, dazzle with the skills they show and cause uncertainty for defenders who have not yet learned what the attackers prefer to do. The more they play, the more the defenders improve in how to defend against them 

9 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

Agreed. Sound like the huns that are rimming patterson to be scotland right back after about a dozen first team games. Long way to go for Ramsay but it's a decent start.

Patterson has had 0 minutes this year and been a bench warmer.

It won't take long if Ramsay keeps up this standard to go ahead of Patterson

1 hour ago, StandFree1982 said:

Would have gone further in the game too, were he not blighted by injury!

9 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Patterson has had 0 minutes this year and been a bench warmer.

It won't take long if Ramsay keeps up this standard to go ahead of Patterson

Aye as talented as Patterson is, he'll get nowhere if he's sat on the Hun bench behind Tavernier who, if you take away his penalties, is a fairly average player. 

The boy is probably looking for his exit down south already if decent clubs down there are interested. 

On 8/4/2021 at 7:53 AM, sooth_stander said:

Mcnaughton was quality when he came in.

Granted he left us and had quite a good spell with Cardiff for 10 years but always thought he'd go onto bigger and better things than that. 

His first season in particular, loved how much he would do the odd a mazy run up the wing with no fear.