Calvin Ramsay

2 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

What's more important. 

Defensive stability or player value?

Our defence is ropey enough as is without adding to the issue in persevering with a young loon who's obviously struggling.

I'm going to put it out there that for us as fans, we know what the answer is but I suspect Cormack will say player value.

1 minute ago, King Street Loon said:

What's more important. 

Defensive stability or player value?

Our defence is ropey enough as is without adding to the issue in persevering with a young loon who's obviously struggling.

Totally agree

Take him out of the starting line up, look after him and use him as a sub until his form and confidence returns.

Will be best for him and the club in the long run

If Ramsay is going to play then I'd be more inclined to have him further up the pitch (more in a winger role or even as a right sided forward/attacking midfielder) and have McCrorie at right back, at least until he's had more time to firm up on the defensive side of his game, which on one or two occasions has cost us.

I think he can be really effective running at defenders (one of the few players that appear capable of taking on and beating his man) and getting balls into the box, and I believe he would make better choices with the ball than Ojo in threatening positions (generally speaking). 

Having slightly less responsibility on the defensive side of things (I'm not saying there would be none, since the team really need to defend as a whole) might have less of an affect on his current confidence levels.

That being, and as a few others have said, perhaps a wee rest wouldn't do him any harm. He may also have been rushed back from injury a little too soon, since we were seemingly quite reliant on him for assisting on a few goals earlier in the season.

55 minutes ago, RUL said:

I'm inclined to agree but my concern is he's seen as a high value asset and benching him isn't going to do his value much good, so wonder if they'll just keep plodding along and hoping he finally has a decent game at some point. Imo his attitude is really poor at the moment.

Another example of where we should have taken the big bucks when we had the chance I think 

• 1 month later...

I’d be giving him a new contract. I know it sounds mental but once the gets to grips with what Goodwin wants him to do and his form picks up the offers will come in and his contract will be 6-12 months shorter. New contract shows Aberdeen believe in him and he’ll know he ain’t been great lately so more chance he’ll sign

I'm actually surprised that Goodwin has persisted with Ramsey as right back, given that in one of his last games as St Mirren boss Ramsey was (partly) culpable for Saints winning goal. 

It's becoming a bit of trademark for him....a long ball in from our left wing and Ramsey is sleeping as the opposition player slips in front or behind him. 

There's still a shitload of potential there, but there's not much use having a defender in the team that just can't defend. He's also so short of confidence just now, he's not much use going forward. 

Personally, I would give him a rest until the end of the season and get Ojo in there. At the moment he's a better defender than Ramsey. 

1 hour ago, Hoofball said:

I’d be giving him a new contract. I know it sounds mental but once the gets to grips with what Goodwin wants him to do and his form picks up the offers will come in and his contract will be 6-12 months shorter. New contract shows Aberdeen believe in him and he’ll know he ain’t been great lately so more chance he’ll sign

Yep, best thing he could do is extend his deal and get a wee pay rise, get his heid screwed back on and play regularly for the next 12-18 months here. 

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Sassuolo? Is that a made up team. Never heard of them. It has been about 30 years since I watched Gazzetta Football Italia though to be fair. 

Is that not those noisey things all the kids had back in 20008 when we played Copenhagen? Or maybe that was the RB we signed from thon Norwegian side

4 hours ago, Hoofball said:

Agreed. Sensible post.

5 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Nathan Patterson got called up for Scotland after playing half a game against Boreham Wood and getting hooked at half time before Calvin Ramsay.... and nobody is even raging about it this time. Shows how much the hype has died down on him!

I called out Patterson being in the Scotland squad weeks ago but I think but I think folk on here are just setting Calvin Ramsey up to take over from Ferguson (who took over from McLean)  if he leaves as being not good enough but miss him when he’s gone