Calvin Ramsay

1 hour ago, minijc said:

I can't really remember but £1m at the time seemed at the lower end.  We along with other clubs up here have the habit of taking the first offer and not holding out for more, Hibs had a good spell of getting silly money for decent players, the whole league outside of Celtic and Rangers need a huge change in their approach to selling players, as I've said it looks like we've changed for the better now.

Wasnt Anderson about 28/29 when he left us? With 1 year left on his contract? It wasn't outstanding money but I don't remember anyone complaining about £1million being low at the time

At the time we sold Anderson we were honkingly bad

I think MT has a point in saying we had to do right by the player...clearly he was too good for us and we would have been holding him back in his career if we hadn't accepted Sunderland's offer. That said, he probably wishes we had rejected it given what transpired to him at Sunderland. Who knows what he might have made of himself had he not suffered the injury. It's pure speculation but my own thoughts are that Sunderland were probably the upper limits of his abilities anyway. Yes he had 11 Scotland caps but at that time Scotland were even more embarrassingly bad than we were. A very good player but no more.

We could maybe have pushed for £500k more from Sunderland and it would have been a reasonable request but for the service we got from Anderson (and IIRC he also donated his signing on fee to the club) I think we got our money's worth from the player, especially as he returned eventually to be a trophy winning captain.

I would assume we won’t get Ramsay back on loan as part of the deal. Would imagine Liverpool will want him down there for a closer look (to see how he adapts to the move also) & if they don’t fancy him yet for pushing for a squad place, they will likely have him in the U23’s or loaned out to a championship club that’s located near by so they can still influence/keep good eye one his training. Just my assumptions of course.

They also could just be making the deal now (to get him bagged on the cheap) & happily let him stay with us for another 6/12 months on loan confident that he will progress further enough for them to take him latterly, once he’s physically stronger.

I hope we are shrewd enough to sneak in a few (first refusal) options on some of their loan players they want to send out next couple of seasons.

Selling a decent prospect ‘on relative cheap’ to a top club is acceptable if it means we can strike up a decent link with them to take some (decent) loan prospects in return 

Not shite like thon Castaway Wilson from Man Utd

or of course let’s not forget that gem from Man City that MT loved ?

14 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I think MT has a point in saying we had to do right by the player...clearly he was too good for us and we would have been holding him back in his career if we hadn't accepted Sunderland's offer. That said, he probably wishes we had rejected it given what transpired to him at Sunderland. Who knows what he might have made of himself had he not suffered the injury. It's pure speculation but my own thoughts are that Sunderland were probably the upper limits of his abilities anyway. Yes he had 11 Scotland caps but at that time Scotland were even more embarrassingly bad than we were. A very good player but no more.

We could maybe have pushed for £500k more from Sunderland and it would have been a reasonable request but for the service we got from Anderson (and IIRC he also donated his signing on fee to the club) I think we got our money's worth from the player, especially as he returned eventually to be a trophy winning captain.

We finished 3rd his last season. First season away was when we got through the groups of the UEFA cup. Cant have been that bad.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, dazzy_deff said:

He got 11 Scotland caps. Got injured down south so think its unfair to look at what he ended up doing. He was consistently one of the most talked about players in our league. 

For comparison Craig Beattie went for 1.75m that same summer - he got 7 scotland caps, was seen as a donkey and did fuck all of note in England. 

Roman Bednar left Hearts for close to 3m. ALso same summer that Hibs got about 8m combined for Brown, Whittaker and David Murphy. 2m for Murphy who id argue was nowhere close to the player Anderson was at that stage in their respective careers. 

Anderson was a centre half who had injury problems and got bullied off big strikers 

(Samaras loved playing against him)

What were the contract lengths of the players you mentioned, to do a fair comparison too?

7 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

We finished 3rd his last season. First season away was when we got through the groups of the UEFA cup. Cant have been that bad.

Hearts will finish 3rd this season. They've been consistently a bit better than everyone else outwith the arse cheeks. But you wouldn't describe them as good, only less shit than the rest

1 minute ago, Ten Caat said:

Hearts will finish 3rd this season. They've been consistently a bit better than everyone else outwith the arse cheeks. But you wouldn't describe them as good, only less shit than the rest

Probably a few Canadians that will agree with this ^^^^^

3 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Anderson was a centre half who had injury problems and got bullied off big strikers 

(Samaras loved playing against him)

What were the contract lengths of the players you mentioned, to do a fair comparison too?

Craig Beattie had one year left on his deal. 

David Murphy 2.5 years (he left 6 months after Anderson).

5 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

Craig Beattie had one year left on his deal. 

David Murphy 2.5 years (he left 6 months after Anderson).

Beattie was a striker and if I remember right, did quite well down south

So Murphy had 3 years on his deal at the time Anderson left?

Anderson had one year

And was 29

3 minutes ago, Millertime said:

So Murphy had 3 years on his deal at the time Anderson left?

Anderson had one year

And was 29

Murphy had 2.5 years when he left Hibs. 

Beattie did fuck all in England. 15 goals in 5 years. 

43 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Honkingly bad? We just finished 3rd. Clear of a Hearts team spending millions. Finished the season with a fine 2-0 pumping of the huns at Pittodrie too. 

Scotland were in the midst of their campaign where they ran Italy and France close as well.

2007 was practically glory years

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Honkingly bad? We just finished 3rd. Clear of a Hearts team spending millions. Finished the season with a fine 2-0 pumping of the huns at Pittodrie too. 

Scotland were in the midst of their campaign where they ran Italy and France close as well.

2007 was practically glory years

Ten Caat in "talking shite" shocker. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Millertime said:

1 hour ago, dazzy_deff said:

Beattie did fuck all in England. 15 goals in 5 years. 

lol 

Never change Millertime, never change

• Haha 3