Christian Ramirez

27 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Anyone would look good with MW next to them. Tremendous player. As I stated last year. 

I think you're right that when isolated Ramirez hasn't really been too great, but I think that's because he's a very traditional no9 type. We should remember (those of us old enough) that Duncan Shearer wasn't the best footballer outside the box (though inside it he was as lethal as you could expect to get) but one who had Jess, Booth, Paatelainen, Dodds buzzing around him. I think Ramirez is a similar profile to him and he's needed Hedges, Watkins closer to him; Lewis Ferguson is not the right type of player to play off him, as had been happening the few games up to the Hibs win.  The setup on Saturday was broadly similar to the 3-4-2-1 we had when we played good stuff at the beginning of last season (Wright, Hedges, Watkins); hopefully this formula will work going forward and Ramirez all-round levels will lift.

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

I think you're right that when isolated Ramirez hasn't really been too great, but I think that's because he's a very traditional no9 type. We should remember (those of us old enough) that Duncan Shearer wasn't the best footballer outside the box (though inside it he was as lethal as you could expect to get) but one who had Jess, Booth, Paatelainen, Dodds buzzing around him. I think Ramirez is a similar profile to him and he's needed Hedges, Watkins closer to him; Lewis Ferguson is not the right type of player to play off him, as had been happening the few games up to the Hibs win.  The setup on Saturday was broadly similar to the 3-4-2-1 we had when we played good stuff at the beginning of last season (Wright, Hedges, Watkins); hopefully this formula will work going forward and Ramirez all-round levels will lift.

A good balanced post. Agreed.

52 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Those of us really old enough would have made the analogy about King Joey with Bumper Graham, Jarvie, Steve Murray and Dave Robb playing the support roles!  But your point was still good.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Ramsay has 4 assists in the league (the other 4 were in Europe). Joint top with Tavernier. 

Whilst checking I noticed that Bruce Anderson has 3 assists and 3 goals in the league. Not a bad return. 

He has a decent return there considering he’s missed a good few games with injury, So his goals/assists to games is better than Ramirez or anyone we have actually.

Would still have preferred we’d given him a chance to stay. Certainly better than that useless lump JET.

Dare say Ramirez & Anderson could have been a decent partnership in a two up front with Watkins/Hedges behind

18 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

He has a decent return there considering he’s missed a good few games with injury, So his goals/assists to games is better than Ramirez or anyone we have actually.

Is it?

Ramirez has 8 goals and 2 assists over 17 games 

Anderson has 5goals and 3 assists over 15 games

Looking at the minutes played Ramirez averages 1 goal ever 168.25 minutes, Anderson is 192.6 minutes per goal. 

I'd also consider the 6 games Ramirez played in Europe being a higher level than 6 games Anderson faced in the League cup qualifiers

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

Is it?

Ramirez has 8 goals and 2 assists over 17 games 

Anderson has 5goals and 3 assists over 15 games

Looking at the minutes played Ramirez averages 1 goal ever 168.25 minutes, Anderson is 192.6 minutes per goal. 

I'd also consider the 6 games Ramirez played in Europe being a higher level than 6 games Anderson faced in the League cup qualifiers

LEAGUE games we are conversing about are we not?

you are using total stats but if you follow the discussion it was league we were talking about 

8 hours ago, The Hulk said:

What was Shearer like, as a player?

9 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Apart from the bit about Paatelainen "buzzing" around Shearer

Mixu did a lot of things. Buzzing wasn't one of them....

I should think pie and lager consumption were Mixu's primary 'things he done'.

I thought he was Finnish when he signed for us.

5 minutes ago, BonnieDon said:

Huge improvement on Cosgrove and Rooney. Love this guy.

Best striker we've had since Arild Stavrum or is he even better?

I have never understood the fascination with Stavrum, he never figured out the offside rule and then engineered a move away by saying he was going to his grannies funeral only to arrive in turkey to sign for Besiktas!!! A total and utter fraud. 

o and he had a terrible perm as well

• Upvote 1

Ramirez is the best we've had in a long time - he should break the 20 goal mark comfortably this season if he avoids injury. It looks like Glass has finally realised that he needs more support closer to him and it's allowing him to start showing his quality a bit more. His layoffs and link up play are actually very good - he's significantly better in that department than the likes of Rooney and Cosgrove. His finishing is as good if not better than Rooney and miles better than Cosgrove who I'm still convinced just had an incredible run of good luck which turned him temporarily into a £2m player - he's not really a football player at all.